To all hypocrites,boycotters,naysayers,and foul criers

Dunk96

The Queen HBIC
I got this from a woman on Twitter named Elke.She made a very amazing point about the people who do not want the release of Xscape and who've planned on boycotting its release:

Of Hypocrites, Boycotters, Nay-Sayers and Foul Criers - "Everyone Wanting a Piece of Michael Jackson - but only after 2009"

Flashback "I N V I N C I B L E" 2001 The LAST Studio Album produced by Michael Jackson before his Death

Invincible a phenomenal Album way ahead of its time once again, after 2009 deemed "The Greatest Album of the Decade". An Album that took years of careful production, Michael's Blood Sweat and Tears, Unique, Original, 100 percent Michael, at a 30 Million Total Production Cost, the most expensive Album produced yet.

Due to the War between at the time Sony Chief Tommy Mottola and Michael Jackson, Mottola was ultimately responsible for the Refusal of any Promotion of Invincible by Sony, Michael Jackson was faced to Promote Invincible by himself and carry the cost for that promotion.

To Refresh your Memories

The Anti Sony Demonstration organised by Michael, with hundreds of Fans from all over the world participating http://youtu.be/jh7zcXOPeHk

The Promotion at Michael Jacksons own cost http://youtu.be/jXU9wI5dx30

Now as we know from the above two videos, the "fans" supported Michael Jackson - Or did they?

Invincible Total Sales Figures Worldwide - 11 Million!

Now here is where it is getting interesting!

As an MJ FAN one would think that these unjustified Actions from Sony would have driven us to rally around Worldwide and prove Sony Wrong and Michael Right, by making Invincible even bigger than Thriller! After all we LOVE Michael Jackson and are a Defiant Fan Base RIGHT! And after having waited years for a New Album from Michael we should have made double certain that we will Sock it to Sony and show them who the BOSS is RIGHT. After all its a 100 percent "Genuine" Michael Jackson Album.

BUT WE DIDN'T!

What has it done to your Career? asks Ed Bradley - My Album Is No.1 all over the world, all over the world says Michael. But Not in the US says Bradley. Its the only country, its a conspiracy, I don't wanna say anymore, says Michael.

http://youtu.be/q1rcnNKXcAE

Yes it was Number 1 all over the world, but just for a brief period. Music Shops and Distributors were faced with tons of "Invincible Albums" which had to be returned to Base.

Though 11 Million copies sold, is not bad by any standards, as for Michael Jackson that was a slap in the face, as Invincible is the lowest sold Record of his Solo Career.

Now who do we blame for that, Sony? or the FANS that obviously did NOT step up to the Plate to Support Michael Jackson in his Mission against Mottola/Sony. They obviously were NOT THERE when Michael asked Will You Be There.

So when I read and hear the Outcries over any New Michael Jackson Albums now after his Death, because of feeble excuses that "these songs are Not what MJ wanted to release, or MJ did not like Mixes, or they are just not 100 percent MJ, I will simply tell you, you had 100 percent Michael given to you in 2001 but you did not step up to the plate and made sure it will SHUT UP SONY forever. You FAILED Michael Jackson then and now want to come and Boycott, Spit Venom on Sony, Divide a Community, anything in your power to make any success of a New MJ Album IMPOSSIBLE.

You think about this long and hard, for the time to point the finger at Sony has passed way back when in 2001/2002, when you had the chance to show the World that MJ Fans are more powerful then Sony.

Summary

With Invincible the all time Lowest Ever Sold Album by Michael Jackson, with only a total Sales Record of 11 Million to date, for a GENUINE 100 PERCENT AUTHENTIC Michael Album you ask yourselves these Questions

Who was left standing with Egg in his Face - Michael Jackson
Who most probably was more devastated - Michael Jackson

Most of All

WHO THEN DID YOU BOYCOTT MORE - SONY OR MICHAEL JACKSON.

Truth can be a Bitch, but Hypocrites can be more PAINFUL

Re: From an very insightful fan - To all hypocrites,boycotters,naysayers,and foul criers

I 1000000% agree!

Re: From an very insightful fan - To all hypocrites,boycotters,naysayers,and foul criers

Wait... wait, what?

Maybe it's because it's 1:30am where I live and I'm absolutely exhausted, but from what I've gathered, it seems that the author is another fan who buys into the urban legend that Sony used Michael and refused to promote Invincible for no good reason. It's simply ludicrous; Michael was in the wrong in several aspects and I'm sick of hearing the argument that he was totally innocent in the matter.

Also, fun fact: Invincible is only Michael's second-worst album in his entire solo career. Forever, Michael from 1975 stands as his worst, with somewhere around two million copies sold worldwide.

Also, fun fact: Invincible is only Michael's second-worst album in his entire solo career. Forever, Michael from 1975 stands as his worst, with somewhere around two million copies sold worldwide.

Wrong. All four of his Motown albums, not just Forever, Michael sold less than Invincible. The most successful, Ben sold an estimated 5 million copies world wide, Got To Be There about 3.2 million. None of them reached Nr 1 anywhere in the world. Ben's peak position in the US was Nr 5, Got To Be There's Nr. 14, Music & Me Nr. 92 and Forever, Michael Nr. 101.

As for the boycotters. I think it's stupid to boycott Michael albums to "punish" Sony. You only punish Michael. Michael had his problems with Sony and campaigns against them but never did he ask fans not to buy his albums. Never did he want his releases to flop like some of his "fans" want now...

Last edited:

I'm sorry but that article in the blog is a load of bull. How did fans let Michael down in 2001 again? Most of the fans I know (including myself) bought five copies of Invincible just to show their support. The fans turned up in their thousands in London to hold a demonstration against Sony's non-promotion of the record.

What more could the fans have done? I don't pretend to know the inner-politics between MJ and Sony back then, but my loyalty lies with Michael, as does all the fans. They were there for him then, they were there for him at the 2005 trial and most of us will likely support and defend him for the rest of our lives.

You can't fault Michael fans for their loyalty.

Last edited:

Lets not forget that Invincible has outsold Justin Timberlake. Someone who the media loves the label ''The new King Of Pop''

I TOTALLY AGREE! fans should stop comparing Michael's albums, finding faults and excuses and JUST ENJOY THE MUSIC!

IMO things are not just black and white… Some fans bought five copies of “Invincible”, some did not. Some fans want to boycott new releases, some do not. We are divided. For a long time I was confused myself just because I did not want to let Michael down. But what to do to not let Him down – to boycott or to buy?!!
No one has the right answer on that – there’re only opinions!!! I have to add that it would be easier for me to boycott (just because I can’t enjoy and feel the same about the music after 2009, I’m trying though.

My way out was - as long as there’s at least 1% of Michael’s soul is in the next never heard sound, I must be there. But the problem doesn’t go anywhere, we are still divided, our goals are absolutely opposite and therefore none of us can reach the result we want. The Man who can bring us back together is gone.

So Elke has written it all “Divide a Community”, “Spit Venom”, “after his Death” – did they do enough when the man was HERE, when “Invincible” needed help? Maybe not…IDK. Why to hurt Michael again? But is it really about Michael then?

There’s one the most common excuse I hear from some fans on why “It can’t hurt Him anymore, He’s not here. We need to show Sony this or that”

Do I really believe that the man, the artist Michael was - wanted all His “unfinished” work to be gone along with Him? I will never believe it. Yes, He was a perfectionist, the genius like no one else, but IMO if he is looking down at us, he’s curios and excited just like some of us about new projects. He still wants to be the best and wants us to be happy, He still wants to bring people happiness and joy …
It was the essential part of the Man’s heart\life\soul\His whole being and it can’t be changed with death.
That He is gone doesn’t mean we can’t wish Him well. Sometimes I think how happy He is to see the Circus Immortal or One shows and to feel the happiness they bring. Don’t get me wrong but it’s the best “pray” His artistic soul can get.

Sorry for saying something like this here, but IMO if from where He is now, Michael measures the successes of His new projects; it is not in numbers or even in songs quality or “they did it wrong or right” but – how much happiness it brings!!! I wish some fans could give themselves a chance to be more positive and forgiving to let Michael rest in peace and to enjoy Himself from wherever He is.

Last edited:

The article writer fails to differentiate between the rather "small" base of hardcore fans who eventually bother enough to turn into active "boycotters" and the mass of potential MJ album buyers (the MILLIONS), who simply buy the stuff that they like that the mass media presents to them.

The less promotion visible to millions of people = the harder to sell many millions of copies. simple.

I'm sorry but that article in the blog is a load of bull. How did fans let Michael down in 2001 again? Most of the fans I know (including myself) bought five copies of Invincible just to show their support. The fans turned up in their thousands in London to hold a demonstration against Sony's non-promotion of the record.

What more could the fans have done? I don't pretend to know the inner-politics between MJ and Sony back then, but my loyalty lies with Michael, as does all the fans. They were there for him then, they were there for him at the 2005 trial and most of us will likely support and defend him for the rest of our lives.

Exactly. The reasnoning in this blog post makes zero sense.

Invincible didn't sell as much compared to his previous albums because of one thing and one thing only -- lack of promotion. The fans did what they could with most of us buying five copies, but without any music videos beyond YRMW and Cry (which didn't even have MJ in it), performances and / or other kinds of promotion, and very few singles released, the attention of the general audience is quickly lost and that's exactly what happened.

This article is anything but insightful and is actually more of an insult to fans than anything else. I remember the Invincible era well and there was a MASSIVE amount of fan support for that album. Posthumous releases are understandably difficult for fans and although campaigning to boycott Xscape is not something I agree with at all -- IMO negative energy like that is completely counter-productive to keeping Michael's legacy alive -- I believe each fan should be allowed to make up their own mind and make their own decision about whether they want to support the album or not. Without feeling guilty about it.

Wrong. All four of his Motown albums, not just Forever, Michael sold less than Invincible. The most successful, Ben sold an estimated 5 million copies world wide, Got To Be There about 3.2 million. None of them reached Nr 1 anywhere in the world. Ben's peak position in the US was Nr 5, Got To Be There's Nr. 14, Music & Me Nr. 92 and Forever, Michael Nr. 101.

My apologies! I never remember them to be quite honest. All four of his Motown albums weren't huge sellers, but Forever, Michael was indeed his lowest, as we've said.

Lets not forget that Invincible has outsold Justin Timberlake. Someone who the media loves the label ''The new King Of Pop''

I believe Justin Timberlake's FutureSex/LoveSounds, matter of fact, outsold Invincible in the United States.

Invincible didn't sell as much compared to his previous albums because of one thing and one thing only -- lack of promotion. The fans did what they could with most of us buying five copies, but without any music videos beyond YRMW and Cry (which didn't even have MJ in it), performances and / or other kinds of promotion, and very few singles released, the attention of the general audience is quickly lost and that's exactly what happened.

This article is anything but insightful and is actually more of an insult to fans than anything else. I remember the Invincible era well and there was a MASSIVE amount of fan support for that album. Posthumous releases are understandably difficult for fans and although campaigning to boycott Xscape is not something I agree with at all -- IMO negative energy like that is completely counter-productive to keeping Michael's legacy alive -- I believe each fan should be allowed to make up their own mind and make their own decision about whether they want to support the album or not. Without feeling guilty about it.

I definitely agree with the lack of promotion part. As someone who was not a fan back in 2001, I can honestly tell you that there didn't seem to be a lot of hype, at least for the non-fan/casual crowd. I remember hearing about the album coming out, and I definitely recall hearing a bit about the video for YRMW, but people only seemed to care about the weirdness surrounding those things. The reports I saw on ET would talk about how Michael's face was purposely hidden in the video because the director thought he looked bad (which is a lie since it can be seen clearly numerous times in the 13 minute version, so that piece of gossip is really just a piece of fail), or that his skin was digitally whitened during the 30th Anniversary show. Random tabloid shit like that. It's like everyone was talking about anything related to Michael except for the album.

It's really sad, looking back at it. I wish I had bought it back then instead of letting popular opinion sway me. While I wouldn't place it higher than Thriller or Dangerous, it's still a good album that has plenty of great songs on it. If there was a Top 10 list called "Top 10 Albums That Aren't as Bad as People Say They Are", this would definitely be on there.

I'm not trying to excuse myself but I spent years looking for Invincible at my local record stores in Mexico without success. I had to ask my one of my professors at the time to buy it for me in the States. Even a few months before that horrible date I kept looking for it. That tweet is an insult to the long time hardcore fans because we haven't hesitated to support Michael whenever is needed. My loyalty stands for Michael Jackson no one else's. if I decide to buy Xscape, which in fact I willl, is for supporting him, NOT Sony, Branca or McClain.

Last edited:

Wait... wait, what?

Maybe it's because it's 1:30am where I live and I'm absolutely exhausted, but from what I've gathered, it seems that the author is another fan who buys into the urban legend that Sony used Michael and refused to promote Invincible for no good reason. It's simply ludicrous; Michael was in the wrong in several aspects and I'm sick of hearing the argument that he was totally innocent in the matter.

Wow , and to think I bought both albums, lets just say Michaels worst is a lot of todays singers best. So watch the comparisons.

Many of us fans talk about Invincible that it's not underrated anymore. Michael's work from the 90s which his best is unfairly underrated.

Invincible is actually quite overrated among the fan community. It by no means is bad but it's undoubtedly Michael's worst album in years.

Michael's '90s work, meanwhile, is indeed ignored in the general public. Especially considering HIStory and the five songs on Blood on the Dance Floor are absolutely outstanding recordings. Most of them (Stranger in Moscow, Money, Morphine, Who Is It, Will You Be There) are among Michael's best songs. I have no reservations that over time people will dive into Michael's back catalog and start recognizing these tracks for what they are.

Invincible is actually quite overrated among the fan community. It by no means is bad but it's undoubtedly Michael's worst album in years.

I agree with this. To make up for lack of album sales (compared to MJ's previous album although Invincible was a success) and mediocre reviews fans make Invincible out to be better than what it really is

Invincible overrated?
I cant believe my ears....it is a great album and it is 100% Michael i feel him when i listen to it!

We play it in the Dojo sometimes and guys that are not into MJ say he.. this is not bad never knew he had music like this?
Love it how "experts" say it is overrated by us Fans!

Invincible overrated?
I cant believe my ears....it is a great album and it is 100% Michael i feel him when i listen to it!

We play it in the Dojo sometimes and guys that are not into MJ say he.. this is not bad never knew he had music like this?

I agree, I love it and can listen to every song without skipping. It never got the credit it should have. Its interesting how ppl can sit on their arses and judge what someone has put their blood sweat and tears into to produce. Michael jackson was a musical genious and darevthe naysayers to come up up with better suggestions forvwhat he should have done so these albums wouldnt be overrated in their eyes or ears. Its easy to judge but harder produce. Michael jackson musically was a success story. Only his personal life got in the way.

Personally I love Invincible. Let's face it - all opinions can be different.

MattyJam;3980214 said:

I think the blog was finger-wagging at the people that thought that they were "showing their support" by NOT buying the album, not those that did. Some fans blindly figured "Sony is releasing Invincible and Michael said f-ck Sony so I'm not gonna buy the cd!!!!" not putting 2 and 2 together, that not buying his album would result in sh-t sales.

Allusio;3980235 said:
IMO things are not just black and white… Some fans bought five copies of “Invincible”, some did not. Some fans want to boycott new releases, some do not. We are divided. For a long time I was confused myself just because I did not want to let Michael down. But what to do to not let Him down – to boycott or to buy?!!
No one has the right answer on that – there’re only opinions!!! I have to add that it would be easier for me to boycott (just because I can’t enjoy and feel the same about the music after 2009, I’m trying though.

My way out was - as long as there’s at least 1% of Michael’s soul is in the next never heard sound, I must be there. But the problem doesn’t go anywhere, we are still divided, our goals are absolutely opposite and therefore none of us can reach the result we want. The Man who can bring us back together is gone.

So Elke has written it all “Divide a Community”, “Spit Venom”, “after his Death” – did they do enough when the man was HERE, when “Invincible” needed help? Maybe not…IDK. Why to hurt Michael again? But is it really about Michael then?

There’s one the most common excuse I hear from some fans on why “It can’t hurt Him anymore, He’s not here. We need to show Sony this or that”

Do I really believe that the man, the artist Michael was - wanted all His “unfinished” work to be gone along with Him? I will never believe it. Yes, He was a perfectionist, the genius like no one else, but IMO if he is looking down at us, he’s curios and excited just like some of us about new projects. He still wants to be the best and wants us to be happy, He still wants to bring people happiness and joy …
It was the essential part of the Man’s heart\life\soul\His whole being and it can’t be changed with death.
That He is gone doesn’t mean we can’t wish Him well. Sometimes I think how happy He is to see the Circus Immortal or One shows and to feel the happiness they bring. Don’t get me wrong but it’s the best “pray” His artistic soul can get.

Sorry for saying something like this here, but IMO if from where He is now, Michael measures the successes of His new projects; it is not in numbers or even in songs quality or “they did it wrong or right” but – how much happiness it brings!!! I wish some fans could give themselves a chance to be more positive and forgiving to let Michael rest in peace and to enjoy Himself from wherever He is.

^^^ All of this... :yes:

Snow White luvs Peter Pan;3980569 said:
I'm not trying to excuse myself but I spent years looking for Invincible at my local record stores in Mexico without success. I had to ask my one of my professors at the time to buy it for me in the States. Even a few months before that horrible date I kept looking for it. That tweet is an insult to the long time hardcore fans because we haven't hesitated to support Michael whenever is needed. My loyalty stands for Michael Jackson no one else's. if I decide to buy Xscape, which in fact I willl, is for supporting him, NOT Sony, Branca or McClain.

I really don't think that this is a matter of if you physically got your hands on a copy or not (which in theory would've been nice, but that isn't the core issue.) I don't know if I've misread the blog, and just in case I'll give it another once-over, but the author seems to be pissed at the fans that thought that they were helping Michael by not buying his album on the strength of all of that Sony mess. You went out looking for it with the intention to get it, that counts as a sale in my eyes. Yeah yeah that won't reflect in the numbers lol, but you didn't turn your back on it for sake of a publishing protest. If you bought the album, or intended to buy it but for whatever reasons couldn't get your hands on it, it doesn't seem that the post was directed at you. The people that purposely didn't buy the album though, that's another story.

Thinking that you were support Michael buy not buying his under-promoted album is just a show of sh-tty common sense. I'm sorry but it is. Yes of course there are other ways to support him and his work. But on paper, where it counts in the history books, is based on sales. That's just the way that works. Now clearly sales don't matter to Michael anymore, but I'm sure they matter to his kids as they affect the size of the royalty check that they'll receive via the estate. Does Sony get a chunk of that? Yeah they do. That's part of being a professional musician signed to a label in the music business. What those sales mean to you all now individually depends on how you feel about the estate vs. the label.

Posthumous projects of any major artist are inevitable. Period. It's just going to happen. Michael was not above this. It has happened to artists that came before him and will happen to artists after him. Is it distasteful? Well yeah, but I really don't get how some fans are so shocked that his archives have been plundered. Especially when the label that he was signed to has a certain amount of rights to his work, finished or otherwise. This album is still Michael but not really because he wasn't able to fine tune it. That doesn't mean that it'll be terrible though, it may turn out pretty good musically. But I don't know that yet, I can't say it's sh-t before I've properly heard any of the music. To be blunt, the music industry wasn't just going to leave his unfinished work alone purely out of respect for him. It is a business at the end of the day and businesses are notoriously unsentimental. If that goes against your personal code and that's a pill that you just can't swallow, I can understand how you'll be inspired to not get the new album. Will the lack of sales "hurt" Sony? Yes a little, but it'll also hurt the estate a little too, and ultimately Michael's children. Those three things cannot be unconnected from one another so if you shun one, you shun the other two. Every fan should follow their own heart in regards to what they feel about the new album. Be true to yourself and to what your heart tells you is important.

I don't know how I feel about all of this yet. I'm curious to hear what's been done with the music, but I do feel some kind of way about Sony sh-tting on him for decades. It'd be nice to see this release heralded as a chart-topping success, but that won't happen without sales lol. So what's more important to me? Flipping Sony the bird? Keeping Michael's name socially relevant through the success of his projects? Kicking his kids a few dollars through sales? Do I bootleg the album or buy it? Sony is an unavoidable part of this equation. Am I ok with Sony squeezing a few more dollars out of me in exchange for the rest? Jury is still out.

Now I don't want to offend anyone but I feel that a lot of fans are "protesting" the album because they need something to protest. What is the goal of this protest? What are the fans that are protesting hoping to achieve? I'm NOT asking those questions sarcastically. So you don't feel that Michael's unfinished work should've been tampered with posthumously? Well that was going to happen anyways. That was never not going to happen. If that personally offends you or if you aren't interested in those projects because they aren't "Michael-perfect", then don't listen or purchase; I get that, I can understand that. I don't understand the "protest" though. Are they protesting because Sony would stand to make a profit? If Michael was alive, that would still happen as he would've still been under contract. Would you have not supported Michael's work and hurt HIS sales in order to send a nice "f-ck you" to his label? That hasn't really changed, even with Michael being gone, the sales profits just go to the kids now. I've been trying to understand but I just don't get the call to protest. Sincerely, if I'm missing the point of it, please fill me in....

Invincible overrated?

Thinking that something is overrated doesn't mean you think it's bad. I like Invincible but IMO it pails in comparison to MJ's previous albums.

Invincible is underrated within the general public and overrated within the fan community

Invincible isn't a bad album. It just isn't nearly as good as it should have been. The track listing should have been switched up and half of the songs could have been replaced by something better.

Michael had absolute gold under his belt for this album. Beautiful Girl, The Way You Love Me, We've Had Enough, Xscape, A Place With No Name, She Was Loving Me...some of the best songs Michael's ever done. They were kicked off in favor of Privacy, 2000 Watts, You Are My Life and The Lost Children. (Granted, I do enjoy all of these songs, but there were better options available.)

I personally prefer to call the unissued tracks from The Ultimate Collection as Michael's final album. They're sharp, interesting and for the most part, outstanding in a way that Invincible isn't.

Invincible has some amazing songs - Whatever Happens, Butterflies, Break of Dawn, Don't Walk Away - but it is the first MJ album where there are songs that I actually DISlike - You Are My Life, Privacy, 2000 Watts. All MJ albums have stronger and weaker songs, but this was the first album where there are certain songs I never listen to.

Having said that, it also contains some of MJ's best work. It's a real mixed bag. But I think it was massively underrated by the critics.

Invincible isn't a bad album. It just isn't nearly as good as it should have been. The track listing should have been switched up and half of the songs could have been replaced by something better.

Michael had absolute gold under his belt for this album. Beautiful Girl, The Way You Love Me, We've Had Enough, Xscape, A Place With No Name, She Was Loving Me...some of the best songs Michael's ever done. They were kicked off in favor of Privacy, 2000 Watts, You Are My Life and The Lost Children. (Granted, I do enjoy all of these songs, but there were better options available.)

I agree completely, especially with your earlier post about it being overrated in the fandom. I can't really blame the fans for defending it like crazy, though. This was supposed to be a big thing and when it wasn't, it just became more fodder for the public to crap on him. And you know we all hate when they do that.

I also think, and this might be a bit controversial, that the album should've been called something else. That's because I think the song Invincible is not a very strong one. Had they named it after one of the stronger songs on the album (like Unbreakable for example), maybe things could've been different? I dunno, maybe I'm over-thinking this...

Lol, it feels like 2010 all over again. Some saying, "I won't touch the thing" and some saying, "I will buy 20 copies for all of you." There is no correct answer here. So don't waste your time arguing, just do what you feel is right for you and what you feel you owe Michael. And remember that the hardcore fan base support (or lack of thereof) doesn't affect sales numbers much. What matters in the end - at least now, when he's gone - is your loyalty to him, whatever choice it translates in.

Back