Playoff Beards

PoP

Proud Member
Country
Canada
Playoff beards are a superstitious and traditional practice of the NHL where players grow their beards without shaving. Players grew their beards when they reach for the playoffs, sometimes before and won't shave them until the team is eliminated from the playoffs or wins the Stanley Cup. The tradition started in the 1980's by the New York Islanders and the tradition spreads around European Hockey Leagues and fans as well. Then other major sports like MLB, NFL, CFL and even NBA also started having playoff beards as well.

Fans grew their beards in support of their favourite teams, kids have their face painted to have playoff beards as well for their support.

Here's one of the best playoff beards ever by Tim Thomas (Boston Bruins, 2011)

6a01310f9ede0b970c01538f3868c0970b-pi

Have any of you (mainly males) ever grow playoff beards for you favourite team before and during the playoffs? If you don't then that's okay. Well I often do that since 2008 (my beard wasn't fully then), I'd shave my beard off if the Bruins were eliminated, but due to my choice I kept it grown until who wins the Stanley Cup. For a couple of years I grew my beard ealier before the playoffs like last year I last shaved my beard at the end of March and kept it growing. So now, my beard's grown nicely and slightly faster than before and last time I shaved was at the end of January so I kept my beard grown for so long.

The Los Angeles won the Stanley Cup and I shaved my beard off, from January 31st to June 13th and that's 5 months and 19 weeks since I last shaved. I didn't get a chance to snap a shot of myself, I was napping until I got up before midnight and got an upset stomach. But I'll do that next year.

Back