What does Chigaco (She Was Lovin' Me) sound like ?

SmoothCriminal1995

Proud Member
I was wondering what this song sounds like. It seems most people think it's a slow song.
I believe it's like Dangerous or Give In To Me, by the description,

“The song ‘She Was Lovin’ Me’ goes from him singing really low in the verses to singing really high in the choruses,” explained Rooney. “So it was two different types of vocals. It was like Michael Jackson’s ‘Billie Jean’ voice and his ‘Dirty Diana’ voice in one record.”

“He was very polite. He asked me, he said, ‘Um, if it’s okay with you I’d like to sing the verses today because I’ve warmed my voice up for the low part. And then I’d like to sing the high chorus parts tomorrow, because when I’m doing songs and I’m screaming up, like a ‘Dirty Diana’ type of thing, I like to warm my voice up for that in particular.’”

What do you guys think ?

I think it is probably similar to smooth criminal or al capone

Just knowing that it has the word Chicago makes me think of al Capone, the mafia, and 60s style night clubs. I think this song is probably smooth criminal during an early stage of development.

Just knowing that it has the word Chicago makes me think of al Capone, the mafia, and 60s style night clubs. I think this song is probably smooth criminal during an early stage of development.

As far as we know it isn't. The song Chicago (1945) would probably have a similar theme as Smooth Criminal. Michael reworked this one with Rodney Jerkins. It remains unreleased for now.

The song on the new album is "she was loving me" written by Rooney and renamed to "Chicago".

I don't get a Morphine or DS vibe from this song at all...Perhaps that's what Michael's original demo is along the realms of, but the actual released song, doesn't really sound like anything Michael's done before, outside of vocals and lyrics, it's all very different, to Michael anyways. The instrumentation sounds like a 90's Missy Elliot song, that's the vibe I get from it anyway.

It reminds me a bit of TKO by Justin Timberlake, "In all, enthrilling new living sound" would fit well in the beginning. The verses sound like something Ifran Makki (the Muslim singer who sounds a bit like MJ) would sing. At first listen it didn't really sound like Michael. The chorus reminds me of Another Day.

I don't get a Morphine or DS vibe from this song at all...Perhaps that's what Michael's original demo is along the realms of, but the actual released song, doesn't really sound like anything Michael's done before, outside of vocals and lyrics, it's all very different, to Michael anyways. The instrumentation sounds like a 90's Missy Elliot song, that's the vibe I get from it anyway.

Probably the vocals were pulled from the demo and reworked into a different instrumentation. I'm more interested in hearing the demo, because it sounds like it's more experimental than what we've already got.

I doubt I'll care for the demo much, to be honest. I'll give it a shot, but I personally find the vocals to fit the Timbaland mix much better than they would to a rock instrumental, particularly in the verses.

found this about Chicago in wikipedia

written by : Michael Jackson and Steve Porcaro
Recorded in 1985
A newer version of the song was recorded by Jackson in 1999 but it failed to make the Invincible album.

i wonder if its a true story? i so wish to know :angel:

You know that is an entirely different song than the, Chicago(originally called She Was Loving Me) appearing on Xscape right?:)

healing really :blush:

I :love: everything about it... The beat :heart: the special effects, the melody :clap:

Especially the two different 'tones'... I absolutely love the 'high' tone of his voice. :wub:
Would I dare to say it's my Fave, right now? :unsure:

What does it remind me off?
Dangerous era kind of songs or even Invincible era with all the sound effects in it ;D

healing really :blush:

I :love: everything about it... The beat :heart: the special effects, the melody :clap:

Especially the two different 'tones'... I absolutely love the 'high' tone of his voice. :wub:
Would I dare to say it's my Fave, right now? :unsure:

What does it remind me off?
Dangerous era kind of songs or even Invincible era with all the sound effects in it ;D

Dare say it :)

Back