TV Legends Revealed | Did Michael Jackson Actually Sing on ‘The Simpsons’?

Bubs

Proud Member
TV Legends Revealed | Did Michael Jackson Actually Sing on ‘The Simpsons’?
Wednesday, April 16th, 2014 at 12:45pm PST - by Brian Cronin

TV URBAN LEGEND: Michael Jackson didn’t actually do any singing in his guest appearance on The Simpsons.

Guest-starring on The Simpsons has become almost a rite of passage for celebrities (a while back, we featured a TV legend about Justin Timberlake’s ill-fated first appearance as a guest voice on the long-running animated series). However, in the early days, producers allowed their guest stars to use pseudonyms; the first to do so, Dustin Hoffman was credited as “Sam Atic” (get it?) in Season 2’s “Lisa’s Substitute.”

In the Season 3 premiere, “Stark Raving Dad,” Michael Jackson appeared as “John Jay Smith,” playing Leon Kompowsky, whom Homer Simpson meets after being accidentally committed to an asylum. In the episode, Kompowsky, who believes himself to be Michael Jackson, sings the hit songs “Billie Jean” and “Ben,” as well as an original, “Happy Birthday, Lisa,” as a birthday present from Bart Simpson to his sister. However, while Jackson did appear on the episode, did he actually not sing on it? Find out!

It’s interesting seeing how “Stark Raving Dad” came about: Jackson apparently was a fan of the show and contacted Matt Groening about making an appearance. Jackson was particularly a fan of Bart, and he wanted to write a song for the character. So Jackson actually co-wrote the hit “Do the Bartman,” although because he was under contract to another music company he couldn’t legally take credit (his co-writer Bryan Loren was solely credited). While “Do the Bartman” was never released as a single in the United States, it was distributed in other countries and did, indeed, become a No. 1 hit in the United Kingdom, Australia and Norway, among other markets.

When he was given the original script for the episode, Jackson had a few suggested changes, including that his character would write a song with Bart (it ended up being “Happy Birthday, Lisa”). In addition, Jackson insisted that before he commit to the episode, the show had to do a read-through of the script with him (the cast and crew traveled to his manager’s office to do so). Jackson finally agreed, but under two conditions: one normal and one more than a little odd. First, he would only do so under the aforementioned John Jay Smith pseudonym. Again, as the show had done it recently with Hoffman, it wasn’t a big deal. Second, however, Jackson would only perform the speaking parts; an impersonator would handle the singing. He wanted to trick his brothers into thinking it was him singing on the show.

The producers agreed, although as it turned out, they were so annoyed by having to evade questions about whether it was actually Jackson doing the voice they made a rule that, from that point on, all guest voices on The Simpsons would have to be willing to be credited under their actual name.

Just to add extra confusion to the situation, when it came time to record the episode, while the impersonator, Kipp Lennon, performed the songs in the episodes, Jackson decided to also record the songs, just for fun. As a result, there has always been some murkiness, even among Simpsons staffers, as to whether any of Jackson’s performances were used on the final show. The Simpsons music editor Chris Ledesma, however, has confirmed that it was only Lennon’s performances used on the actual show.

So the legend is …

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.c...ichael-jackson-actually-sing-on-the-simpsons/

Is the reason he didn't sing on the episode accurate?

And why would Michael record Billie Jean and Ben again? I assume when they say 'songs' they mean Lisa It's Your Birthday. I doubt Michael recorded that 'for fun'.

Yes we have known from past interviews that MJ didn't sing on the Simpsons episode. It was Kip Lennon. Kip sings Ben, Billie Jean and Lisa its your Birthday. Michael did write and record a demo of Lisa its your Birthday. I don't think he went to the studio to re-recorded the other songs. Why would he when they were already recorded.

Is the reason he didn't sing on the episode accurate?

I think that it is, I've heard this same explanation for years. Nothing has ever really come out from Michael or anyone else to the contrary.

And why would Michael record Billie Jean and Ben again? I assume when they say 'songs' they mean Lisa It's Your Birthday. I doubt Michael recorded that 'for fun'.

I think they maybe meant LIYB and Do the Bartman? Yeah, he had no reason to record his own hits over again lol.

So if they didn't actually use Michael's voice & vocals during the episode, what about the CD? Did they use Michael's vocals on the official CD release? And if they didn't, wouldn't that make Michael's real song a really rare item in his catalog? Maybe even a candidate for a future release?

Jackson would only perform the speaking parts; an impersonator would handle the singing. He wanted to trick his brothers into thinking it was him singing on the show.

And thats most probably not the real reason. :D
The simpsons makers probably just could not afford to have Michael Jackson himself sing these 2 super hits (Ben, Billie Jean). It would have involved clearing performance rights with Motown and Sony etc. And since all Simpsons episodes are released on DVD that would have made it even more expensive. It was for sure cheaper to have an impersonator do it.

Yes we have known from past interviews that MJ didn't sing on the Simpsons episode. It was Kip Lennon. Kip sings Ben, Billie Jean and Lisa its your Birthday. Michael did write and record a demo of Lisa its your Birthday. I don't think he went to the studio to re-recorded the other songs. Why would he when they were already recorded.

If Michael had sung in the Simpsons episode, he would have had to record that newly, simply to fit the situation of the scenes. Copy-pasting original acapella snippets from the songs would have sounded weird.

Btw I don't think it needs any interviews to confirm that Michael didn't sing in this Episode. You just need ears. :D

What's missing in this story is how the Simpsons feature at the end of the Black Or White video fits in with all of this. It was probably part of the deal package.

Last edited:
Wasn't this version of Happy Birthday Lisa released on the Dangerous acetate?

I wonder why DTB wasn't released in USA if the Simpsons are huge in the States.

I wonder why DTB wasn't released in USA if the Simpsons are huge in the States.

The album "The Simpsons Sing The Blues" (including "Do The Bartman") was released in the USA:
http://www.discogs.com/Simpsons-The-Simpsons-Sing-The-Blues/master/19916

"Do The Bartman" was released as a promo-only single in the USA. No commercially available single release.

US promo vinyl: http://www.discogs.com/Simpsons-Do-The-Bartman/release/1060070
US promo CD: http://www.discogs.com/Simpsons-Do-The-Bartman/release/821460

So it probably got radio airplay.

Why "Do The Bartman" was not commercially available as a single release and promoted in the USA? Probably the same reason why this whole thing was more of a cameo appearance of Michael without any credits: contract issues!

Michael was in a million-dollar-heavy bigass contract with Sony. During that he just could not go around and do collaborations etc releasing music on other labels. The "The Simpsons Sing The Blues" album was a project by released by Geffen Records / Warner (one of the few big competitors to Sony).

Same reason why the E.T. Storybook was deleted during the Thriller days. If you as a label sign an artist for millions of dollars and blow up millions for worldwide PR you will want this artist exclusive. I wonder though why the Eddie Murphy collab "Watzupwitu" (on Motown!!) around the same time was an exception. Maybe it was more important to Michael, so he negotiated it with Sony.

Last edited:
Of course he didn't sing on it. I knew the second I first heard the voice on the episode!

It would be frustrating not to be able to sing a song that you wrote on a Simpson's episode because of record companies. Your voice, your music, but you still can't do it. Damn.

The simpsons makers probably just could not afford to have Michael Jackson himself sing these 2 super hits (Ben, Billie Jean). It would have involved clearing performance rights with Motown and Sony etc. And since all Simpsons episodes are released on DVD that would have made it even more expensive. It was for sure cheaper to have an impersonator do it.

I think this is more likely than him wanting to play a trick on his brothers (LOL). This or contractual reasons, similar to the whole ET debacle.

It's very obvious that's not Michael's singing voice on that episode. It's his speaking voice but not his singing voice. I don't even know why it was a "mystery"/debate for so long. The guy who sings is far off from MJ's singing talent.

As far as I have heard he could not sing on it because of contractual reasons. He was allowed to lend his speaking voice but not his singing voice.

So if they didn't actually use Michael's voice & vocals during the episode, what about the CD? Did they use Michael's vocals on the official CD release? And if they didn't, wouldn't that make Michael's real song a really rare item in his catalog? Maybe even a candidate for a future release?

I never heard the Simpson's CD so I'm not sure if it's Kipp Lennon's version or Michael's (I guess it's Lennon's). But I know that Michael is not officially credited with writing that song on that album but a "W.A. Mozart" is. :D Also on Do The Bartman he was not credited as a writer only Bryan Loren was. These were also because of contractual reasons on Michael's part.

So if they didn't actually use Michael's voice & vocals during the episode, what about the CD? Did they use Michael's vocals on the official CD release?

None of the songs from the TV Epsiode (Lisa It's Your Birthday, Ben, Billie Jean) appear on the Simpsons CDs. Check the links i posted.

"Do The Bartman" was a separat thing, not a song from the episode, it was on the album / promo single and it features Michael's multi-layered background vocals in the refrain, but he is not credited for it on the CD sleeve.

Last edited:
Yes, according to the Wiki entry Kipp Lennon sings on it.

Have you read this story? It seems it's from Nancy Cartwright's book,'My Life as a 10-Year-Old Boy'. I wasn't able to find the link where I printed it like 8 years ago, so I copied it from the sheet I printed. It kind of makes you think Michael did more than composing the song and in fact was present in the studio when Do The Bartman was recorded. I can imagine how his eyes just lit up out of the excitement when he recieved that present from Nancy, very touching indeed. :girl_aww: Her book seems like an autobiographical diary. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Life_as_a_10-Year-Old_Boy

So what do you give to someone who already has everything? What do you buy for a guy who is worth on estimated $450 millions? what kind of thing do you purchase for the oldest "boy" in the world? What sort of present do you give to the first solo artist to generate four Top-Ten hits on the Billboard charts, seven top hits on another album and five number one hits yet on another album? What do you give to a man who doesn't really want anything, except to be accepted? What do you give to Michael Jackson? It took me days to figure out.

Flashback to earlier this week. Yeardley and I were meeting with producer John Boylan at Lion's Share to find out what key we sang in. He also played some cute sample from our new CD, 'Simpsons Sing The Blues,' that had been recorded by some studio singer. Good singers. It was the first time I got to hear Yeardley's voice, wow, so sweet and pure... just perfect for "God Bless the Child." Me? I'm okay, but Bart rocks!

We were jammin' to the sample of "Do The Bartman# when John leans over and says, "I won't be directing you on this one." "Oh, bummer!" I replied. "Yeah," he went on. "some guy named Michael's gonna lead you." It tooks me a few seconds for the penny to drop and jaw quickly followed.

Michael!? I raced to the nearest mall. A set of sun glasses? A t-shirt? A nice tie? Jesus, something more personal!. I raced andand rummaged ever closet. My trumpet,? Never! That Negligée? A family photo? I had to think of something, I don't know why I just had to. Then, as I dug deeper into my collection I heard the strangest thing. Little Lucy, all of nine months, got her finger in the string of a Bart talking doll and I heard my own altered voice say, "eath my shorts." Problem solved, I have about 10 of these dolls and besides the "shorts" line it voices avout five other expressions that had been incorporated into our American vernacular. Pretty sad, the vernacular, not the doll. The doll is actually kinf of cute. Hisa proportions are very real and the hard plastic head is big and yellow and his eyes bug out, very Bart. I figured this might be just the perfect gift for the guy who has everything.

Standing in the lobby, the front door opens and he walks. He on his sunglasses and was a little taller than I had imagined. Jim was right there and shook his hand and said a few things, welcoming him and all. Then, Michael turned to me, I had the doll behind my back because I wanted to surprise him. I had signed the doll's belly and written "Bart loves Michae" on the front of his t-shirt. Just as we finished our greetings, I pulled the doll out from behind and handed it out to him saying, "this is from me to you." He was about to have a heart attack! Hls eyes lit up lu like a six-year-old and he took it and hugged it. Oh my god, he really is a kid!

He thanked me profusely and , from that moment on, I knew we were going to have a great time. We went into the studioand began the rehearsal for "Do The Bartman." Michael was absolutely incredible, we had so much fun. It didn't take us very long at all because he knew what he was doing. We started it from the top and just ran to it a couple of times and he couldn't stop laughing. He absolutely loved Bart and when I spoke like him, Michael was delighted like a kid at Christmas. At one point in the song, there was plently of room for adlibbing, I went nuts, I added this one towards the end, "eat your heart out, Michael" and he loved that! I hope it stays.

We finished and he gave me a copy and I gave him a hug. And then, I went out to the very cozy living room and had a little lunch. Oh, and by the way, those dolls? I found them on sale at Toys R US for $10 a piece, they retailed at $30. I snatched them all, it was such a deal. Hey, you never know when you might run into Michael Jackson!

Last edited:
this was a known fact years ago lol the guy doesn't even sing like Michael

Have you read this story? It seems it's from Nancy Cartwright's book,'My Life as a 10-Year-Old Boy'. I wasn't able to find the link where I printed it like 8 years ago, so I copied it from the sheet I printed. It kind of makes you think Michael did more than composing the song and in fact was present in the studio when Do The Bartman was recorded. I can imagine how his eyes just lit up out of the excitement when he recieved that present from Nancy, very touching indeed. :girl_aww: Her book seems like an autobiographical diary. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Life_as_a_10-Year-Old_Boy

'eat your heart out, Michael!' - I had no idea that's what Bart was saying there. Always sounded like 'mojo' instead of Michael. Awesome.

Haha, no. I always thought Bart said Michael. :lol:

At some point in the song he also says: "if you can do the Bartman, you're BAD like Michael Jackson." That story makes you think Michael accompanied Nancy (Bart} in the choruses. I wish I were 100% sure. I hope it made you smile guys just like when I read it the first time. :happy:

The chorus is only Michael i think (Many takes layered and pitch a little altered as he often did).

Michael Jackson and John Landis's music video collaboration Black or White was broadcast for the first time in November 1991 immediately following an episode of The Simpsons.

Michael was a genius at marketing and this just proves it, even with the controversy that erupted with the Panther Dance.

I, too, think this was all done in the same time period that Nancy Cartwright spoke of in her book about Michael Jackson and yes, it was probably cheaper to pay someone to sing like Michael Jackson then it was to hire the real deal. Happy compromise!

What's missing in this story is how the Simpsons feature at the end of the Black Or White video fits in with all of this. It was probably part of the deal package.

lol no
that doesn't make sense (that it would be cheaper for an impersonator to do it and not him). They were just a few lines, anyway. And Lisa Its Your Birthday was an original song.

I hate that he didn't sing it himself, for whatever reason it may have been.
Even the whole crediting a different name was nonsense.

As for Black Or White, I remember the video had it's world premiere on FOX, in addition to whatever work he did with them.

"Do The Bartman" was released as a promo-only single in the USA. No commercially available single release.

So it probably got radio airplay.
Indeed, "Do the Bartman" did get radio airplay. I was living in Colorado back then and it was on the radio often. I remember. I knew every word of it because I heard it so many times, just not who wrote it (until some years later, lol, awwww Mike! ;) ) And LOL, of course it's him speaking but not singing in the episode. Should be pretty clear, lol ;)

Back