Court won’t review Michael Jackson doctor’s case

Bubs

Proud Member
Court won’t review Michael Jackson doctor’s case

By Associated Press, Thursday, April 24, 2:04 AM

LOS ANGELES — The California Supreme Court refused Wednesday to review the involuntary manslaughter conviction of Michael Jackson’s doctor, rejecting his lawyer’s petition without comment.

The decision by the state’s highest court was the latest stop on Dr. Conrad Murray’s legal odyssey. A state appeals court upheld his conviction earlier this year and then refused to reconsider its decision.

Attorney Valerie Wass said Murray will take his fight to federal court. “We’re greatly disappointed, but we intend to pursue this in federal court,” Wass said.

She said she telephoned Murray with the news and, “He said, ‘The fight is not over.’ ”

Authorities said Murray gave Jackson a lethal dose of the anesthetic propofol in 2009 while the singer prepared for a series of comeback concerts.

Murray was convicted in 2011 and served two years in jail. He was released in October because of a change in California law requiring nonviolent offenders to serve their sentences in county jails and as a result of credits for good behavior.

The six-week trial focused on Murray’s care of Jackson, including nightly doses of propofol to help the entertainer sleep.

The earlier appellate court decision said, “The evidence demonstrated that Mr. Jackson was a vulnerable victim and that (Murray) was in a position of trust, and that (Murray) violated the trust relationship by breaching standards of professional conduct in numerous respects.”

Since his release, Murray has been traveling and spending time with family, “trying to get his life back together.” Wass said.

The federal appeal she plans to file will focus on media coverage of the trial and exposure of the unsequestered jury to the Internet, Wass said. Murray has maintained throughout his appeals that the jury should have been sequestered because of the flood of publicity surrounding the case.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...6d2c78-cb4c-11e3-b81a-6fff56bc591e_story.html
---------------------------------------------------------

Doctor convicted in Michael Jackson death denied latest appeal
LOS ANGELES, April 23 Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:23am IST

(Reuters) - The California Supreme Court on Wednesday refused to hear an appeal by Michael Jackson's personal physician, Conrad Murray, who was found guilty of involuntary manslaughter in the pop star's death.

Murray was released from a Los Angeles jail in October after serving two years but wants to clear his name. His attorney had asked the court to overturn his 2011 conviction on the grounds that the intense media coverage of his trial could have influenced the jury.

The cardiologist's attorney, Valerie Wass, said Murray will likely attempt to overturn his conviction in federal court.

"I think that especially with a non-sequestered jury in a high-profile case that's televised, it's impossible to get a fair trial," Wass said, adding that she believes federal courts need to rule on how social media and the Internet can influence a jury.

The trial of Grenada-born Murray, 61, grabbed global attention after Jackson, who was preparing for a series of comeback concerts in London, died unexpectedly in 2009 at age 50 from an overdose of the surgical anesthetic, propofol.

A lower court upheld Murray's conviction in January ruling that there were no errors during his trial.

Murray was convicted after prosecutors successfully argued that the physician was grossly negligent in administering the powerful anesthetic, which was used to help the singer sleep. (Reporting by Eric Kelsey; Editing by Piya Sinha-Roy and Sandra Maler)

http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/04/24/people-michaeljackson-conradmurray-idINL2N0NF2GH20140424

"I think that especially with a non-sequestered jury in a high-profile case that's televised, it's impossible to get a fair trial," Wass said, adding that she believes federal courts need to rule on how social media and the Internet can influence a jury."

Wass is as much full of herself as CM. When MJ was on trial, which was truly high-profile case, MJ got fair trial inside the courtroom where it all counts.

"I think that especially with a non-sequestered jury in a high-profile case that's televised, it's impossible to get a fair trial," Wass said, adding that she believes federal courts need to rule on how social media and the Internet can influence a jury."

Wass is as much full of herself as CM. When MJ was on trial, which was truly high-profile case, MJ got fair trial inside the courtroom where it all counts.

He's just looking for any excuse to get out of this. "It wasn't my fault. I was wrongly convicted because the jury had access to Facebook and Twitter." That's the lamest excuse I've ever heard.

Surely you get a fairer trial when it IS televised? Time to give up Murray, you were and still are, guilty as charged.

Good, I'm glad he's not getting what he wants. The guy has to be a sociopath, he won't take responsibility for his actions despite the fact that there's no doubt that he did many things wrong. He makes me sick! :angry:

I´ll never understand why someone can be so stupid as Murray despite his education.

MIST;3988931 said:
I´ll never understand why someone can be so stupid as Murray despite his education.

Unfortunately there was no course work in common sense when he was in medical school.

Good, I'm glad he's not getting what he wants.

Yes. Now that Murray has come up against a bunch of higher-ups who totally refuse to kiss his behind, he can't take it. He got himself in that situation by choosing Michael's money over his well-being. I hope he continues to hit brick walls with his appeal nonsense. I'm sick of people around Michael getting away with doing stupid things and then blaming him for what they did like they had no mind of their own.

Last edited:
The way he handled the situation with MJ you could be forgiven for thinking Murray got his medical license out of a cereal box.

The federal appeal she plans to file will focus on media coverage of the trial and exposure of the unsequestered jury to the Internet, Wass said. Murray has maintained throughout his appeals that the jury should have been sequestered because of the flood of publicity surrounding the case.

^^Wass still does not know what she should be focusing on even after it was detailed to her when she filed with the lower court? This woman is beyond help.

Wass still does not know what she should be focusing on even after it was detailed to her when she filed with the lower court? This woman is beyond help.

Yes. Wass seems to think that any excuse changes the facts. And didn't Judge Pastor tell the jury to stay away from the internet and TV during the trial?

Last edited:
Back