"Slave To The Rhythm"

sweetdudejim

Proud Member
Hey everybody, I'm Jim, new here.

Okay, so with that out of the way, a year or two ago I downloaded a version "Slave To The Rhythm" which I really had no idea about. It had a "technoish" beat and really seemed more like a dance remix than an original song. I also thought it was a more contemporary MJ song. So to start, is this the Tricky Stewart mix? Was it done after Michael's death?

Come to find out, it's actually originally a Dangerous outtake. However, I've noticed in Joe Vogel's book it said that the song was worked on in 2003 by Michael. So did he actually work on this song more recently than 1991, and is the version on Xscape truly at the point Michael last left it at, or is it as it was during the Dangerous sessions?

Hey everybody, I'm Jim, new here.

Okay, so with that out of the way, a year or two ago I downloaded a version "Slave To The Rhythm" which I really had no idea about. It had a "technoish" beat and really seemed more like a dance remix than an original song. I also thought it was a more contemporary MJ song. So to start, is this the Tricky Stewart mix? Was it done after Michael's death?

Come to find out, it's actually originally a Dangerous outtake. However, I've noticed in Joe Vogel's book it said that the song was worked on in 2003 by Michael. So did he actually work on this song more recently than 1991, and is the version on Xscape truly at the point Michael last left it at, or is it as it was during the Dangerous sessions?

Hey Jim :)

Yup, it would've been the Tricky Stewart mix. It was made in 2010 for the Michael album, but didn't make the cut. Many fans don't like it because Stewart ignored what Michael had done on the tracks so far, stripped it of the instrumental and then built up a new instrumental based around Michael's vocals. Despite what most people seem to make of it, I still quite like it. It might not follow Michael's vision but boy does it go hard :dancin:

You're right, it was originally recorded during the Dangerous sessions (LA Reid, who helped write the song, says 1991, some people here say 1989?) and Michael would've touched it up slightly over the years. I don't know if it's been specified whether the songs on Xscape are as Michael last heard them, or if they are random early demos, or a mixture of both. My guess is that it's probably a mixture.

I don't know if it's been specified whether the songs on Xscape are as Michael last heard them, or if they are random early demos, or a mixture of both. My guess is that it's probably a mixture.
I don't think it has. That would definitely be interesting to know. I agree that it seems to be a mixture.

Thanks for the answers guys. Greatly appreciated.

And yeah HIStoric, I totally agree that even though I'm not a fan of that type of music, that 2010 remix of "Slave To The Rhythm" really is slammin'. Which is odd because for the most part I prefer Michael's original work to that of the remixers.

I love the new version of Slave To The Rhythm it has a cathes beat to to it makes you get up and dance it is a song that will be in alots clubs and it is a song that the young genration can related to and old too. I agree i love the old version too but if this is going to pull in new MJ fans to his music that will be great.

IDK but while the two versions on XSCAPE are good, I like the one I first heard all those years ago.
The contemporized version is close to unrecognizable....to me.
I like this one the best:

Oh yeeeeaaaah! :chillin:

I love Timbalands version.
It's the only track that stands out as a typical Timbaland track (the drums, percussion).

I am really enjoying the new version. It is so danceable and the instrumentation is so polished and creative. Never liked the Tricky version. It didn't seem polished or finished - seemed amateurish to me.

Does ANYONE have the 2010 Tricky Stewart Remix?

I've been trying to find it for a while, but haven't had much luck.

Tricky mix is still the best for me.. Although if Timbaland wouldn't have cut the song off so damn early and actually used MJs full vocal track (like Tricky did), I'd probably be more inclined to Timbalands version..

I like Timbo's version, but I like Tricky's slightly better, it's such a bop!

I like the original and the new version very much!
Think they are both amazing.

IDK but while the two versions on XSCAPE are good, I like the one I first heard all those years ago.
The contemporized version is close to unrecognizable....to me.
I like this one the best:

Oh yeeeeaaaah! :chillin:

It this the 2010 version?

Last edited:
I've heard multiple versions of Slave to the Rhythm, and enjoy them all. It actually just might be my favorite one on Xscape, although it is a tough call. I've heard a lot of people diss Slave to the Rhythm as being one of the worst songs on Xscape, and I don't get it, but everyone's entitled to their own opinion. Michael was said to have recorded this song over and over again, so it must have been dear to him in some way. It is an absolutely awesome song to dance to. Okay--so I admit I started swerving when this was playing in my car, cuz I was feeling the beat! :busted: Can't help it, as cheesy as it sounds, I guess I really am a slave to the rhythm after all :D

I'd combined the intro of Timbo's with the 2010 version...that would be the ultimate Slave To The Rhythm for me.

MJ's version is too video gameish, and the entire 2014 version minus the intro just isn't that good.

I think 2014 version is brilliant. Can't stand the 2010 Tricky Stewart version. I hate that techno sound. Original version is ok, just too unfinished musically.

the Tricky version remains my favorite, but I like Timbo's one too. The demo isn't bad either, but I agree that it obviously is unfinished.

I can't really stand this song in either version lol
the chorus vocal melody is just annoyingly repetitive.

The only version that solves that in a way is the Bieber "duett" version as it's two different voices there. I don't care who the Bieber kid is or what he is hated for.. just going by the ears. It's my fav version if i had to choose one.

Music production wise Timbaland is the winner for me.

STTR has to be one of his all time best vocal deliveries. He sings the hell out of that song.

The original version is my favourite. I love the synthesizer in that. The Timberland version is my leas favourite. I think it sounds over produced, and I hate those quack sounds that are used

The original for me is just weak. The drums are great, but the rest of the instrumentation is so uninspired and lacking. The vocals overpower it by a mile.

Timbaland's version is outstanding, particularly the bridge.

All of the versions are great. I feel the demo from the 1990s is greater if you feel like something more chill. Want something more upbeat? Go for the 2010 or 2014, both of which I enjoy.

I'd say my most favourite version of them all would be the album version of 2014 Timbaland remix with that dance-off part that was only in the Billboard version added on top. I want the album version because there's longer choruses (and verses) and the Billboard dance off-part is incredible. God why didn't they include that in the album version? Though I guess it goes with Michael's tradition of keeping longer mixes for the short film and/or live performance :p Doesn't really bother me as I have all these versions on my phone anyway!

Going against the tide and saying I enjoyed Bieber's duet too. Personal opinion of him aside, Bieber's vocals are fine and the instrumental can be preeeeetty bangin' at times. Ain't ashamed to say I've got up and danced to that a few times.

Adore the vocals on this song ! Truly one of Michael's greatest vocal performances. I just feel a little disappointed with each version of the song. Tricky's is too techno for me, the original feels very unfinished. I do like that Timbaland's version is fresh but there are too many distracting things going on, too many random noises that take away from Michael's fiery vocals ,it ends really soon and Tim shouting slave, slave to the rhythm is annoying to me. I feel Teddy Riley or Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis would have made this a classic MJ smash single ! Just my opinion. I just wish it would have been released as a single, people should know about them amazing vocals.

Back