Do You Know Where Your Children Are (Original version)

analogue

Proud Member
I'm obsessed with this song. This is those types of songs that only Michael Jackson could come up with, and the song is genius. Do You Know Where You Children Are once again shows that the songs Michael writes and composes all by himself will always be his best

I love this song too. I actually do prefer the version with Dirty Harry line first and the gunshot at the end. I saw that one on YouTube around the time of the "Michael" album, and downloaded it. I had hoped it would have been on the "Xscape" album.

I love the fact that Michael so often composed songs that had a message to them.

I love this song too. I actually do prefer the version with Dirty Harry line first and the gunshot at the end. I saw that one on YouTube around the time of the "Michael" album, and downloaded it. I had hoped it would have been on the "Xscape" album.
Haha, still have that version on my hard drive, in very bad quality.
i swear 2011-2013 were the best times for an MJ Fan. Slave To The Rythm, Blue Gangster, Xscape were my favourite songs from Michael, and i remember there were 4-seconds snippets of I Am A Loser. Now that the songs are released, i feel kinda sad, i miss those times, where you could hear Unreleased Songs, and nobody knew them...

I'm obsessed with this song. This is those types of songs that only Michael Jackson could come up with, and the song is genius. Do You Know Where You Children Are once again shows that the songs Michael writes and composes all by himself will always be his best

Couldn't agree more!

I think this is a great video, it´s the message I hear when I listen to the song
[video=youtube_share;jq9CtBgK5MI]http://youtu.be/jq9CtBgK5MI[/video]

I love the footage of Michael with children and quotes from him but I would have prefered it without footage of Michael dancing.On the one hand you can think he was working hard trying to get his message out in song and dance, on the other I don´t want it mixed with footage of Savile.

During the 7% of the time I can handle listening to Michael. This is one of my most played MJ songs. It is such a really great song to listen to. And I didn't know there is another version of that song. I thought there was only just one version of that song.

I agree.

It really is a masterpiece!

I had hoped it would be released as a single, but seems like it wont. :(

I'm obsessed with this song.

Same here but only with the leaked one from 2010.(With Steve L. on guitar)
I dont like the 2 versions on Xscape at all.
The overdubbed computer sounding one is really bad.

And I didn't know there is another version of that song. I thought there was only just one version of that song.

Yeah, there are 3 official versions of the song. Other than main album version (which is the worst version in my opinion), there is Original version (available on Deluxe version of the album) and 2010 mix which was done for MICHAEL album (probably by John McClain) with Steve Lukather on the guitar and sample of Melvin Bliss - Synthetic Substitution. That version is not officially released but it is available on the internet.

That's fanmade edit of 2010 mix, not official version so it can't be released.

The 2010 mix should have been used as the updated version. I hated what Timberland did to the song

Funnily enough I was driving in my car with my MJ playlist on shuffle and the 2010 version came on. I hadn't heard its since before Xscape came on but BAAAAAAMMMMM it got me right in the stones!!! Absolutely incredible version, the guitars hit you just right! Honestly can't say if I prefer this or the original but it was damn good to blast that bad boy full volume driving home after work.

I prefer the original to the 2010 version. The original is musically more interesting for me, and I think the original has the better guitar solo.

I prefer the original to the 2010 version. The original is musically more interesting for me, and I think the original has the better guitar solo.

I always prefered the 2010 version, but over the last 5 months since Xscape was released I listened the original a lot, and I'm starting to think like you. Now I prefer the original version.

Also everyone attacked Timbaland about changing the song too much. But how about John McClain, he also changed the song completely. Completely different guitar solo (when he had one already recorded) and completely different drum beat (sample of Melvin Bliss - Synthetic Substitution). How come nobody attacked McClain for doing that? I agree that he did better job than Timbo, but still he changed Michael's vision completely. Timbo at least was more creative while McClain sampled one of the most sampled songs of all time.

I always prefered the 2010 version, but over the last 5 months since Xscape was released I listened the original a lot, and I'm starting to think like you. Now I prefer the original version.

Also everyone attacked Timbaland about changing the song too much. But how about John McClain, he also changed the song completely. Completely different guitar solo (when he had one already recorded) and completely different drum beat (sample of Melvin Bliss - Synthetic Substitution). How come nobody attacked McClain for doing that? I agree that he did better job than Timbo, but still he changed Michael's vision completely. Timbo at least was more creative while McClain sampled one of the most sampled songs of all time.

I cant speak for everyone but I can say for myself that I like Timbaland's version the least because I don't like that kind of music/beat that is used. Thats all it comes down to.

^Because the McClain version maintains most of the elements of the original and he didn't try to make an entirely new song out of it. He changed a few things, Timbaland created an entirely different instrumental. The McClain version therefore still sounds like a Michael Jackson song: because most of the elements WERE devised by MJ.

I agree with you though that sampling Synthetic Substitution was a bit uninspired. And I also prefer the guitar solo on the original and elements like the ticking clock. But if a song has to be reworked/finished, the McClain version of DYKWYCA imo is an example of a decent way to go about it.

Another thing to remember is that the demo we got on Xscape is not the last demo of this song. It'd be interesting to hear later versions, to see where MJ left it. Perhaps his final demo resembles the McClain rework more.

I cant speak for everyone but I can say for myself that I like Timbaland's version the least because I don't like that kind of music/beat that is used. Thats all it comes down to.

I don't like it either because of the same reason. But some fans dismissed it just because it's Timbaland and because it's completely different from Michael's vision (similar to what McClain did).

Another thing to remember is that the demo we got on Xscape is not the last demo of this song. It'd be interesting to hear later versions, to see where MJ left it. Perhaps his final demo resembles the McClain rework more.

We don't know if this is the final version MJ worked on or not. We just know that he worked on it for Bad and for Dangerous. We don't know which version is which and which version got released. Because they didn't say.

^Because the McClain version maintains most of the elements of the original and he didn't try to make an entirely new song out of it. He changed a few things, Timbaland created an entirely different instrumental. The McClain version therefore still sounds like a Michael Jackson song: because most of the elements WERE devised by MJ.

McClain also created entirely different instrumental. Drums, synths and guitars were replaced by drum sample from Synthetic Substitution, synths were replaced by guitar riffs and guitar solo is completely different and new. So McClain's version does not maintain most of the elements of the original and he changed more than a few things.

I love this version and I think McClain did great job, just stating the facts. And I agree that it sounds more like a Michael Jackson song than Timbo version.

McClain also created entirely different instrumental. Drums, synths and guitars were replaced by drum sample from Synthetic Substitution, synths were replaced by guitar riffs and guitar solo is completely different and new. So McClain's version does not maintain most of the elements of the original and he changed more than a few things.

I love this version and I think McClain did great job, just stating the facts. And I agree that it sounds more like a Michael Jackson song than Timbo version.
Sure, all the things you mention are true. But for the most part those are production changes. I was referring to composition, which I think is the heart and soul of a song (not to disregard the importance of good production of course). In that regard, not a lot was changed. The guitar riff, for instance, plays the exact same hook as the synth in the original. Timbaland, on the other hand, just created an entirely new composition.

I can't find the 2010 version on YT - is it still there and is it allowed to share a link to it?

I mean a YT link is OK right?

I like the 2010 leaked version better than the version on Xscape. The 2010 version just feels more like Michael.

2010 leaked version is by far the best. Timberlands version is very unexciting and just plain boring. Most of the songs he produced for Xscape just don't cut it for me.

OMG!! Can somebody please send me the 2010 version of 'Do You Know Where Your Children Are'. You see, I'm sure that there was a rumored to be on the 'Michael' album in 2010 as well as 'She Was Lovin' Me', which is now known as 'Chicago' on the 'Xscape' album (2014),in fact there was a demo for 'She Was Lovin' Me' which, for some reason has all of a sudden started to pop up all over the internet. Anyway, I believe that just like 'She Was Lovin' Me' 2010 demo, '12 o'Clock'/'Do You Know Where Your Children Are' was also demoed for the 'Michael' album but declined.

If anyone has this version, can you please send it me (for my own personal vaults). If you would like anything out of my vaults in return, studio versions, demos, songs, albums, photos (this includes fan made photos), information. You can. Thanks.

~

The 2010 mix should have been used as the updated version. I hated what Timberland did to the song

I agree. He raped the song of it's dignity. Same can be said with pretty much every song on there, except maybe LNFSG, Chicago and Loving You.

Yessss i totally agree. :) michael makes amazing songs! Do You Know Where Your Children Are is my favorite one. :D How About You??

Back