Question about the rapper in Black Or White

john13th

Proud Member
In the booklet of the Dangerous album it is credited that L.T.B. is the person who sings the rap in Black Or White and I also found out that he is also the one who plays the father in the intro of the song. But who is he really, what is his real name? Is he a rapper who did not have any successful musical career? I tried to find information on him on Google but without any result, not much is known about him other than his involvement in Black Or White.

In the booklet of the Dangerous album it is credited that L.T.B. is the person who sings the rap in Black Or White and I also found out that he is also the one who plays the father in the intro of the song. But who is he really, what is his real name? Is he a rapper who did not have any successful musical career? I tried to find information on him on Google but without any result, not much is known about him other than his involvement in Black Or White.

It's Bill Bottrell, Michael's long time collaborator. In reality he's not a rapper, he just did the rap on that song.

biographic1.jpg

His real name is Bill Bottrell, who also coproduced the song. He originally recorded that rap for Michael as a joke, and intended to bring in LL Cool J or Heavy D to put down an actual verse. But when Michael heard it, he fell in love and insisted that they kept it on.

Fun fact: L.T.B. stands for "Leave it To Beaver".

Who was the guy that worked in the studio with MJ on songs but died after the Bad or Dangerous sessions?

Aha so it is Bill Bottrell who did sing the rap, quite interesting I had no idea :)...Yeah I am quite familiar with that guy as I know he worked with Michael during the sessions of Bad (Speed Demon, Smooth Criminal), Dangerous (Black Or White, Who Is It, Give In To Me, Dangerous) and HIStory (Earth Song). But did not know that he could rap so good :p In Jam and She Drives Me Wild you had the rappers Heavy D and Wrecx-n-Effect respectively and I thought that L.T.B. was another famous rapper during the 90s ;)

Who was the guy that worked in the studio with MJ on songs but died after the Bad or Dangerous sessions?
It must be Jeff Porcaro, the drummer in the rock band Toto. He played drums on Beat It, Human Nature, The Girl Is Mine and The Lady In My Life from Thriller and Heal The World on Dangerous. He died in August 1992 and he was mentioned in the liners note of the HIStory album.

Wow. Great story about Bill Botrell and esp the LTB name. I always assumed it was a real rapper too.

L.t.b.

I thought that L.T.B. was another famous rapper during the 90s ;)
I'm not sure Bill would rate that well with the general rap fan in a song by himself. He's kinda like Bob Hope rapping, or a news reporter:rollin:

^^This Bob Hope special is hilarious. What year is this? And isn't that Michael Crawford. hahahaha

Edit-just finished watching to the end. Yes, it's him. Still don't know what year, though. Around 88 or 89?

Last edited:
Bill Bottrell himself explained a little more his rap involvement in ‘Black Or White’:

“I’m you know, a songwriter and record producer… I’m not a rapper, and I did not intend to be a white guy who’s rapping on there…”

But, the final Bottrell's rap version fully satisfied MJ because in the end it tied perfectly with the global/social theme of that song:

“The fact that I’m white and I did that rap kind of speaks to the content of the song. So in his [MJ’s[ mind, it all came together…”

Lastly, as for the initials L.T.B. (Leave it to Beaver), Bottrell said that it was his own idea. Bottrell used that pseudonym because he was just making fun of himself (beaver means here a man with beard, typical of Bottrell’s physical appearance):

“…It’s a white suburban kid. I’m making fun of myself…”

Hello,

recently, I read this article:

and finally - after all these (30!) years - found out who that to me mysterious rapper on "Black or white" is (yeah I know this is probably old news to many, but I couldn't keep up with every detail the last years).

I always liked this rap interlude a lot, the voice of that guy sounds very "cool".

Now today the thought arised, wouldn't it be a great thing to see a "live" version of it - for example, a live appearance of that producer at a fan event - kind of as a "30th anniversary" appreciation of "Black or white". It would be so special IMO.

I know the producer is 68 and fear he wouldn't be so fond of the idea ("MJ fans are nuts?"), but still I like the thought fans could give it a try and kindly ask him for it.

Back