For Jackson's estate, 3 big claims are unresolved

Bubs

Proud Member
For Jackson's estate, 3 big claims are unresolved
By The Associated Press

Posted: June 20, 2014 - 8:58 am
Last Updated: June 20, 2014 - 9:01 am

Five years after Michael Jackson's death, his estate continues to earn tens of millions of dollars a year and has resolved most claims filed against it by creditors. But some are still seeking a share of the pop superstar's wealth.

Here's a look at the biggest remaining threats to Jackson's estate:

The IRS is seeking more than $700 million from Jackson's estate, which includes taxes it contends are owed, plus penalties.

The dispute arises over a difference in valuations of Jackson's assets when he died. The singer had borrowed heavily against his half share of the Sony-ATV music catalog, and hadn't toured or had an endorsement deal in years.

The IRS says Jackson's image was still worth millions, as were other assets, while the singer's estate points to his debts and an image tarnished by child molestation allegations as reasons supporting lower tax valuations.

Choreographer Wade Robson testified in Jackson's defense at the singer's 2005 child molestation trial, vehemently denying the singer ever touched him inappropriately.

Last year, Robson sued Jackson's estate for what his attorneys described as molestation that spanned a seven-year period. Robson met Jackson when he was 5 and spent the night at Neverland Ranch more than 20 times, sleeping in the singer's bedroom on most visits, he told jurors during the trial, which ended with Jackson's acquittal.

The merits of Robson's claim against the estate haven't yet been argued and his attorneys haven't said how much they are seeking.

Jackson estate attorney Howard Weitzman has cited Robson's previous statements supporting Jackson and called the new accusations "outrageous and pathetic."

Tohme Tohme served as Jackson's personal manager in 2008 and early 2009 but was fired during preparations for the ill-fated "This Is It" concerts.

He worked with Jackson's estate in its first months in 2009 and returned $5.5 million to the estate that he said he was holding to purchase a "dream home" for the singer.

Tohme sued in February 2012, seeking a 15 percent share of the estate for his role in reviving Jackson's career. Jackson's estate is seeking to block any payments to Tohme, and the two sides have been battling over records and potential evidence.

http://m.therepublic.com/view/story/add94b589c5d4cb1a01b254298647b27/US--Michael-Jackson-Legal-Woes

That is what they had to come up with as his death anniversary draws near--a rehashing of litigation. How pathetic. I guess now we will see all kinds of reports form friends, tabs, papers, rags, enemies.

That is what they had to come up with as his death anniversary draws near--a rehashing of litigation. How pathetic. I guess now we will see all kinds of reports form friends, tabs, papers, rags, enemies.

what did you expect? this is the usual smearing they've been doing for 25 years.

compare this to elvis presly or john lennon.

^^Anthony is not always very factual. We know that, especially from the AEG trial. Also, no one is commenting on whether the article is factual or not but that this is what he focuses on at this time in particular, when the death anniversary is near. There were articles about those cases when they were filed, so what brought that topic back to focus at this time, especially when nothing new happened in that area lately? He is just following the lead of all the other people who are connecting something negative to the Michael name as his anniversary draws near.

^^Anthony is not always very factual. We know that, especially from the AEG trial.

In contrary we know that Anthony is very facutal, also from the AEG-trial in contrary to other guys like Alan Duke.

I didn't think this article was bad at all! If I have to choose 1 journalist to write articles about MJ, I would choose Anthony.

While most of the "journalists" prints all sort of causes MJ died for (overdose etc) Anthony prints it as it is - Conrad M gave propofol and Michael died under his care.

Annita, I agree with Anthony's reporting AEG trial - no nonsense stories, only facts.

Anthony and AP have released 3 articles, one about neverland, one about lawsuits remaining and Michael providing to this children.

In contrary we know that Anthony is very facutal, also from the AEG-trial in contrary to other guys like Alan Duke.

Oh yes you are right. I was mixing him up with Alan Duke. My apologies.

Back