"Blue Gangsta" Original or Modern?

Modern is great, Old good, the leaked version is the best IMO.

The new version sounds like a remix... I love the original version.

I've never been crazy about this song. I love the almost acapella at the start of the new version and I quite like the bridge, but like everyone said it's too busy. 2010 Mix for me

I prefer the original version that is on the album, but I prefer the leaked version for the part where he goes "You make me wanna sing", which is longer in the leaked version.

The leaked 2010 version is the best for me. The fuller sound really makes a difference.

The modern version is almost A Cappella on the verses and then too busy during the choruses. It's probably my least favourite modern version on Xscape.

I prefer the original version that is on the album, but I prefer the leaked version for the part where he goes "You make me wanna sing", which is longer in the leaked version.

Yes I like how you can really hear Michael say those lines - I believe he says " or make me wanna see you" in the leaked version. But overall I really LOVE both versions from the album, okay ALL versions. I have loved this song ever since I heard snippets of it from YT back in the day. His vocals are just out of this world.

I absolutely HATE the Timbaland version of Blue Gangsta..
He completely stripped it of that Smooth Criminal "well suited/tailor-made gangster" vibe & Latin/salsa style dance that Michael maybe would have went with if a short film for Blue Gangsta was ever created.. that's why I love the original so much; Michael would never release any of his music sounding so mediocre like that Timbaland remix!

I fell in love with the original version to be honest. :wub: I think it was fantastic just the way it was! The new/remixed version isn't bad though! It just seems to be missing something that the original has, for me anyways.

New version.
Demo sucks, so I suppose it's okay because it was obviously a temporary beat and some lyrics would be added/changed.

But yes, the new version is awesome

New version is insane, "demo" isn't as good. The 2010 leak is on par with the new version though, I love the horn sections.

I love the new version the horns selection is awesome and i love the beat so gangster like.

Original version is still the best demo is ok but I'm not a big fan of the new version it just doesn't do it for me

I love both versions. The original has always been my fav from all the leaked songs we had. And I think /timbo did a great job with the updated version. I don't think it's busy at all. I think he managed to make it even darker and put MJ's vocals front and center. I can even imagine some crazy insane video for it.

The new version for me!!! Because it's a finalized product! The emotion of michael's stort is perfectly translated to the music.

Too bad the horn section was dicarded though.

The demo is a lot better in this case IMO. The new version is a bit of a mess.

I am in love with the original version. I think the bass is too heavy throughout the modern one, especially during the part where he says that damn sexy line, 'You make me wanna see you.' I can't even hear it. :( And the horns are amazing! I keep envisioning some kind of gangsta themed tango dance, a guy and his girl...:blush:

Last edited:
Don't like the new version. Aside from the fact that I find it too busy, Timbaland also kinda removed what made the track unique in my opinion. The great feel from instruments like the piano (I think it's a piano at least?), accordion and the horn section. The horn section is still kinda there in the new version but it feels more like an afterthought there.

The demo version isn't a favorite of mine but I think it's a lot more interesting to listen to than the new version.

Haven't heard the previously leaked version.

"Modern". Never really got into the leaked version, but I'm addicted to the new one. :)

It's nice to hear his voice so clearly but Michael almost never put it so far ahead of the music (notable exceptions include the beginning of Speechless). He never buried it or brought it to the top, he neatly placed it amidst the music. Though I suppose the talented sound engineers like Bruce Swedien should also take credit for that.

Never been overly keen on Blue Gangsta to be honest.

But I deffo find myself listening to the new version far more than the original :)

I think the new version as more of a build up on the chorus and i'm liking the acapella kinda sound.

New version is my favorite, I love the strings at the beginning... it makes it cinematic, which I'm sure MJ would have loved because it would've been nice to turn into a short film. The original version on the XSCAPE album sounds dry compared to the leaked version, which I would love to have in high quality because the version that is leaked is a killer tune and I love it as well. It's got the VIBE, you know? The brass is more upfront, which is how it should be, because those brass lines MAKE that version what it is.

Back