Designer Nestor (Zaldy) Goco, who worked on Michael Jackson's last tour, is being sued

bluesky

Proud Member
<header id="a-headers" style="-webkit-padding-start: 0px; margin: -4px 0px 10px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-size: 30.399999618530273px; vertical-align: baseline; color: rgb(17, 17, 17); font-family: Arial; line-height: 24px; background: transparent;">Designer Nestor (Zaldy) Goco, who worked on Michael Jackson's last tour, is being sued by two creative artists who say they're being ripped off

The plantiffs, Christopher Demeris and Travis Payne, say Zady Goco, who has worked for Britney Spears and Jennifer Lopez, owes them more than $400,000 in commissions for design work for Jackson related tours that took place after the King of Pops death in 2009.

BY BARBARA ROSS
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Thursday, June 26, 2014, 4:20 PM

</header><dl style="-webkit-padding-start: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-left: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-weight: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-family: inherit; vertical-align: baseline; background: transparent;"><dd style="-webkit-padding-start: 0px; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-weight: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-family: inherit; vertical-align: baseline; background: transparent;"><iframe id="bitly_copy_button" allowtransparency="true" frameborder="0" style="-webkit-padding-start: 0px; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border-width: 0px; outline: 0px; font-weight: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-family: inherit; vertical-align: baseline; height: 30px; width: 238px; overflow: hidden; visibility: visible; background: transparent;"></iframe></dd></dl>

<article data-streamid="7.2167046" data-streamtags="[&quot;NYDN.Local.d&quot;,&quot;NYDN.Local.Crime.d&quot;]" itemprop="articleBody" style="-webkit-padding-start: 0px; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; background: transparent;"><figure class="a-image h" style="-webkit-padding-start: 0px; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; position: relative; min-height: 40px; width: 970px; background: transparent;">
michael-jackson-song.jpg
AP
Michael Jackson's "This Is It" tour never happened as the singer died tragically just before it was to start in 2009.</figure>

Two creative artists who worked on Michael Jackson’s doomed 2009 “This Is It” run of shows are suing the tour’s clothing designer, charging that he owes them at much as $480,000 in commissions.
Christopher Demeris, a creative consultant, and Travis Payne, a choreographer who worked for years with Jackson and other top stars, said they signed a four year contract with Nestor (Zaldy) Goco in July 2009, a month after Jackson died.

The deal gave them a 20% commission on any gross income that the designer earned while working with the Jackson estate and related entities.

Goco “has not only failed and refused to pay any sums due under the agreement, but also failed and refused to provide information concerning his MJ-related income that is required to calculate the precise sum due,” says the lawsuit filed Thursday in Manhattan Supreme Court.
Goco has not only failed and refused to pay any sums due under the agreement, but also failed and refused to provide information concerning his MJ-related income.

The pair said in court papers that Goco, a Parsons and FIT trained designer who has made clothes for Britney Spears, Jennifer Lopez, Gwen Stefani and other stars, made a deal with “one or more MJ-related entities” to design costumes for Jackson’s post mortem Immortal World Tour.
They believe he got at least $400,000 for the Cirque du Soleil production featuring Jackson’s music and vision.
In addition, they said Goco designed outfits for another Cirque du Soleil production known as Michael Jackson ONE and earned “at least $1 million and possibly upwards of $2 million.”

<figure class="a-image h" style="-webkit-padding-start: 0px; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; position: relative; min-height: 40px; width: 970px; background: transparent;">
jackson-aeg-what-ifs.jpg
JOEL RYAN/AP
Michael Jackson could hardly contain his excitement as he tells press about the O2 Arena dates planned for his concerts.
</figure>

They alleged he has had other Jackson-related contracts as well and owes them at least $280,000 and possibly more than $480,000. They’re asking the court to order Goco to comply with their contract.
Zaldy could not immediately be reached for comment.
</article>

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...kson-designer-article-1.1845452#ixzz35radsGzZ

Re: Designer Nestor (Zaldy) Goco, who worked on Michael Jackson's last tour, is being sued Read mor

I've heard Michael didn't even want to wear Zaldy's outfits, if true I wouldn't blame because they were hideous, except the Billie Jean one.

Re: Designer Nestor (Zaldy) Goco, who worked on Michael Jackson's last tour, is being sued Read mor

^Didn't Bush say the Billie Jean one would have been tooooo heavy for him to wear if all the sequins were completed or something like that?

Anyway I hope Travis and company have their written agreement, since if they are due commissions they should get them. It seems Michael is still having people generate millions in income. If all these people can make millions from working with Michael or on his projects, then Michael must have made more money than they claim in his lifetime.

^
Anyway I hope Travis and company have their written agreement, since if they are due commissions they should get them. It seems Michael is still having people generate millions in income. If all these people can make millions from working with Michael or on his projects, then Michael must have made more money than they claim in his lifetime.
Isn't that the truth? I'm amazed at all these side deals that seem to have been going on since forever.
And I always thought it was really odd that Zaldy was the costumer designer instead of Tompkins and Bush. Really odd.

I really think AEG pushed Zaldy and Bush and Tompkins continued to be Michael's head designers. I think that because Zaldy didn't made those clothings thinking of Michael's needs, Bush and Tompkins made his outfits very light and practical, Zaldy's were so heavy and ridiculous. Having a tremendous dancer like Mike wearing a 4 pound jacket is outrageous.

I really think AEG pushed Zaldy and Bush and Tompkins continued to be Michael's head designers. I think that because Zaldy didn't made those clothings thinking of Michael's needs, Bush and Tompkins made his outfits very light and practical, Zaldy's were so heavy and ridiculous. Having a tremendous dancer like Mike wearing a 4 pound jacket is outrageous.

Yeah it seems he forgot the functional aspects of the clothes. I think AEG wanted Michael to work with some new and hot designer. You know how the industry is--always thinking the new comers are better than the older acts. He did have some good ideas though. Didn't the gold leg & knee braces Michael wore and the Bad jacket weigh around 10 pounds or something like that. It seems Michael danced while having some heavy stuff on his back and legs. He also performed with severe pain. This guy was really amazing....

It seems there has been a resolution:

Michael Jackson&#8217;s team settles lawsuit against costume designer for $1M

Michael Jackson's manager and choreographer didn&#8217;t stop until they got enough.

The pair have settled a lawsuit against a costume designer they introduced to the late superstar for close to $1 million &#8212; roughly double the amount they&#8217;d sued for, the Daily News has learned.

Jackson manager Christopher Demers and choreographer Travis Payne said they helped Nestor (Zaldy) Goco score a lucrative deal to design outfits for Jackson&#8217;s final tour, which never took place.

The singer died of a drug overdose in June 2009.

Payne, who worked with Jackson for 17 years, and Demers introduced the popular designer to the &#8220;Beat It&#8221; singer earlier that year and urged Jackson to hire him. When he did, they struck a deal with Zaldy to be paid 20% of his royalties.

Zaldy created costumes that dripped with Swarovski crystals and would have dazzled audiences with LED lights. He has repeatedly told the story about a pair of tuxedo pants with LED lights that he designed for Jackson&#8217;s &#8220;Billy Jean&#8221; number.

Zaldy says that two weeks before he died, Jackson tried them on and was delighted with the flashing, colorful lights, telling him, &#8220;It&#8217;s everything I ever wanted.&#8221;

But Zaldy, who&#8217;s also designed costumes for the likes of Beyoncé, Britney Spears and Lady Gaga, stopped paying the pair at some point after Jackson died and they sued last year, saying Zaldy owed them as much as $480,000.

&#8220;We tried to settle this amicably several times,&#8221; Demers said. &#8220;But he repeatedly defaulted on his own proposed settlements. This was a mess.&#8221;

They agreed to drop the suit when Zaldy agreed to give them 50% of his royalties on the Las Vegas Jackson tribute show, Cirque du Soleil&#8217;s Michael Jackson ONE.

The $1 million settlement figure is based on an assumption that Michael Jackson ONE, like many Vegas shows will have a 20-year run.

The estimate is probably pretty good, but it may be conservative,&#8221; said David Trachtenberg, the attorney for Demers and Payne.

Zaldy could not be reached to comment and his lawyer Edward Hernstadt declined to comment.

Demers said he is relieved that the financial dispute is over.

&#8220;I&#8217;ve known Zaldy for over 25 years. He is one of the most talented people in the world,&#8221; Demers said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...ttles-suit-costume-designer-article-1.2336296

^^All these side deals people make are ridiculous. A million dollars for an intro. I guess that's the way entertainment and business work.

And who is Christopher Demers? I've missed something.

Yeah just what i was thinking

Just found him on Linked In-he was both Travis's manager and Zaldy's manager, so I guess why he's owed the 10% or whatever. Travis must be asking for the money just for the introduction.

I wonder why media says Demers was Michael's manager when he wasn't?

I've heard Michael didn't even want to wear Zaldy's outfits, if true I wouldn't blame because they were hideous, except the Billie Jean one.

I didn't like how Zaldy wanted to change some of Michael's iconic outfits. Like the ''Black Or White'' outfit. The simple white shirt, black pants and knee pads is all that song needs. Zaldy's outfit looked like it was trying too hard

I didn't like how Zaldy wanted to change some of Michael's iconic outfits. Like the ''Black Or White'' outfit. The simple white shirt, black pants and knee pads is all that song needs. Zaldy's outfit looked like it was trying too hard

I agree on that.

^^All these side deals people make are ridiculous. A million dollars for an intro. I guess that's the way entertainment and business work.

Not alone.

Hey I liked some of the outfits... I liked t Thriller outfit/ Billie Jean (The colored lighting though eh) / Black Or White Jacket looked pretty bad @$$ (I would have liked if he wore the traditional white shirt etc. maybe until the guitar solo, have someone put the jacket It on him and jam out) / Heal The World jacket was thoughtful..

Questions thought was Michael really suppose to perform in the opening number in that crystal outfit with he shoulders? Intro outfit is one thing, but performance that would have been too much lol! ...

Questions thought was Michael really suppose to perform in the opening number in that crystal outfit with he shoulders? Intro outfit is one thing, but performance that would have been too much lol! ...

I didn't like that outfit very much. I have hard time picturing Michael performing Wanna Be Starting Something in that. :D

Back