The Xcape release....status 2 months later

RIP_2009

Proud Member
The Xscape release....status 2 months later

I must say this release has been a disappointment.
I havent played it a lot,the songs are strong but I dont like how they were mixed/overdubbed in most part.
From the start I didnt enjoy APWNN by Stargate now its the best track on the album for me....:/
In most cases I like the leaked Versions much more as they have more punch to them. (especially STTR and DYKWYCA)
On MICHAEL from 2010 I played 3-4 songs to death while on this one I have played the cd approx 5 times....thats it :(
I have gone back to playing songs like Hollywood tonight and Behind the mask.....they are awesome :)

Last edited:
Each to their own. I haven't play the Michael album for ages, because the poor, amateurish copy and paste production annoys me. There's some copy and paste on Xscape as well, but at least it does not sound as amateurish as the Michael album production (well, for the most part). And the main difference is that on Xscape we have Michael's originals which is very important to me.

I prefer the 'idea' of the Michael album.

I'm not happy with either release entirely, but there are tracks on both that I just love.

Michael album would have been great if they released it like Xscape (7 new versions + 7 original versions). With 3 fake songs and without originals it really can't be compared to Xscape. Xscape is really really great album. Both albums could have been better but I think this is the best the Estate can do. They proved they are incompetent to do it better. So I'm really really happy how Xscape turned out to be.

Selection of songs is much better on Xscape also. Michael has Hollywood Tonight which is one of the best MJ songs ever. Xscape doesn't have a song like that but it has Chicago, Slave To The Rhythm, A Place With No Name, DYKWYCA, Xscape that are all stronger than songs on Michael album.

Yeah I'm ecstatic about the release. Where I am, I keep hearing songs from the album everywhere. I mean EVERYWHERE. In people's cars, on TV, randomly in the street when people have parties, in stores. Its quite exciting because its 'like' a proper MJ release, and I've certainly seen it get WAY more play than than 'Michael.' I think its doing well.

I listen to Xscape every single day. I can't get enough.

And its the reason why I'm here now, it brought me back into the fold of the MJ community.

So yeah I have to say I disagree :lol: I haven't listened to 'Michael' in ages, even before I heard about the controversy. I think 'best of joy' and 'Much too soon' are the only ones I play on repeat tbh.

Still loving Xscape several months later. I listen to it everyday, usually more than once.

Behind the mask was ****ed up! Hollywood tonight was completely changed from the original, The Cascio tracks should have NEVER existed! Best Of Joy is a masterpiece though, but Xscape is a big improvement.. i hope the other albums have this kind of aura/feel to them! but no more 20 minute pointless documentary DVD's.. that is all!

I listen to the new versions some days and the originals on other days. I like the fact that the new mixes differ from the source material because it feels like I'm listening to different songs (if that makes sense) but i only enjoy it because they released the originals. I wish they would do this for michael. Someone had the genius idea of using the michael demos for cd extra tracks. I wish the estate gad done that. But I agree that the video on the deluxe edition was a major disappointment.

Behind the mask was ****ed up! Hollywood tonight was completely changed from the original, The Cascio tracks should have NEVER existed! Best Of Joy is a masterpiece though, but Xscape is a big improvement.. i hope the other albums have this kind of aura/feel to them! but no more 20 minute pointless documentary DVD's.. that is all!

It's all about opinions and personal tastes in music. In my opinion Hollywood Tonight is a masterpiece (except for Taryll Jackson), Behind The Mask is OK and Best Of Joy is the worst song they've released on both albums. It's not bad because it's MJ but still the worst. So for me HT 1/15 and Best Of Joy 15/15.

Wow, best of joy the worst? :eek:

Its all about opinions and I respect that, but its just shocking to me that anyone could think its the absolute worst lol The song is so beautiful, message, singing, harmonies - kinda has a Bee Gees ballad influence I think.

Anywaaay I don't want to spend a whole thing gushing about the song all off topic like but wow, thats a new one for me :p

Wow, best of joy the worst? :eek:

Its all about opinions and I respect that, but its just shocking to me that anyone could think its the absolute worst lol The song is so beautiful, message, singing, harmonies - kinda has a Bee Gees ballad influence I think.

Anywaaay I don't want to spend a whole thing gushing about the song all off topic like but wow, thats a new one for me :p

Good song, but 14 better and stronger ones. MJ had so much great unreleased tracks!

Last edited:
according to LA Reid, mj recorded STTR 24 times.
if only he recorded it less often but more often HT. maybe it would have been completed. :pppp damn!!

HT is the only song i played to death and i still like it.
so far, iam playing the xscape album to death but still liking it. so thats a good sign for me.

Michael album would have been great if they released it like Xscape (7 new versions + 7 original versions).
Exactly.. I would buy it again if a reissue was considered repackaged with Behind the Mask original and the scrapped mixes replacing the fake tracks. I can say I'm honestly happy with Xscape though, I just can't get into DYKWYCA and Blue Gangsta.

Exactly.. I would buy it again if a reissue was considered repackaged with Behind the Mask original and the scrapped mixes replacing the fake tracks. I can say I'm honestly happy with Xscape though, I just can't get into DYKWYCA and Blue Gangsta.

Absolutely. I agree about DYKWYCA and Blue Gangsta. But I'm playing those 2 songs a lot so maybe they'll grow on me with time.

if only he recorded it less often but more often HT. maybe it would have been completed. :pppp damn!!

HT is the only song i played to death and i still like it.
so far, iam playing the xscape album to death but still liking it. so thats a good sign for me.

The thing with Slave is that LA brought to MJ finished song and all MJ had to do is learn the lyrics. He recorded those 24 takes in 1 day! Hollywood was special song for Michael, he wrote it and he produced it, he obviously had big plans for it because he worked on it for 10 years (1999-2008)! and even then it wasn't finished. I'm just sad that he never recorded that beautiful bridge that he wrote.

MJ wanted a song to be perfect so I guess often songs was done 20+ times to get it right.
He probably went over a song over and over again singing at home before entering a recording studio as well
As for Hollywood Tonight its on my top 15 all time favorite michael list....love it.
Since the song was never completed they did the best they could with it and im happy :)
Not a fan of the long talking break in the middle so I removed the last part of it using audio software.
Thats the version I play and use in my MJ compilations :)

Re: The Xscape release....status 2 months later

I'm actually quite shocked about the comments on Google play store about xscape. alot boycotting..

I hate those people.
funny how some people praise some other album of a German rapper there, saying he's much superior than mj. so sad. pathetic people.

(rappers name is 'kollegah')

The album keeps gettng better IMO.

Amazing album.

I think the album is great but I don't listen it very often. Chicago is the best song on the album in my opinion.

I love Xscape. I have listened to it dozens of times the first week. Months later I still love it. I am glad I purchased it.

also still addicted. Chicago and LY are currently my jams

Loving You, Chicago, APWNN and STTR are my favorites from the album. - I hear them all the time. - I actually think my girlfriend is starting to get a bit annoyed! :lol:

Back