Michael Jackson Estate SUES Over Sale Of MJ Concert Pics

Bubs

Proud Member
Michael Jackson Estate SUES Over Sale Of MJ Concert Pics

0724-jackson-victory-tour-getty-4.jpg

Michael Jackson's Estate is suing a movie memorabilia store for auctioning off historic photos from MJ's heyday -- and duping potential buyers with a get-rich-quick scheme.

The pics are from the Jackson brothers' 1984 Victory Tour. According to court docs -- obtained by TMZ -- Michael hired a photog to shoot the concerts ... and Jackson's company owned all the rights to the pictures.

The Estate claims Premiere Props put the photos up for auction, and misled buyers into believing they would also own copyright on the pics -- a huge selling point, because the buyer could make a fortune by reprinting and selling the pics.

Premiere valued the pics from $200 to over $2K, according to its website.

MJ's camp is now suing for all the auction profits ... and to stop Premiere from selling any more MJ memorabilia.

Source: TMZ

I got the impression that Joe was selling these photos...I think buyers have already paid for the photos as the auction took place on 21st June eg as per these links.

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item...kson-concert-photo-and-copyright-from-victory

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item...kson-concert-photo-and-copyright-from-victory

These photos were commission by Joe Jackson, father, founder and early manager of his children, Michael Jackson and the Jackson 5. He hired the top music concert photographers of the day to take pictures of Michael Jackson and the Jackson Five (both in individual performances and as a group), while they were on tour, and during personal appearances, as well as at family get-together's. The purchase of this photo includes the original transparency, and includes a full copyright release for your own personal unlimited reproduction printing and selling to the winning bidder. They are the original 35 millimeter film used to take the picture, and are professionally mounted in “slide” paper for protection. The original film sprockets can be seen when the paper is removed. The color reversal film was used by these photographers, because, as is standard in the industry, this film stock creates more detailed images especially in Concert and low-light situations, and in many ways is actually superior to color negative film stock for reproduction purposes. Bidders are advised that Jackson Entertainment Corp. and the Estate of Michael Jackson have asserted a claim that they are the owners of the copyright in this photo and/or rights to the reproduction of Michael Jackson’s image. Bidders are advised that all proceeds from sales and delivery of the purchased items will be held by Premiere Props in escrow pending resolution of these claims unless the successful bidders assume the risk.

(Escrow is usually a secure third party account which holds monies in trust pending the completion of a transaction / dispute)

Afterthought: I wonder on what grounds the Estate will try to stop this company from selling ANY more MJ memorabilia? That seems way beyond the current dispute over copyrights......

Last edited:
Joe Joe joe Joe, he never stops:no:
He keeps selling stuff that is not his to sell, and that way he gets into troubles.

No wonder he started kissing the executors asses, he probably knew this was coming and was hoping they let this one go without a hitch.

Last edited:
I think this could be Vaccaro as well.

I too got impression that Joe was trying to sell them:D
I guess it comes from that I have used to see this kind of thingys and usually it is Joe or other fam member.

as you posted the explanation said Joe hired the photographer, copyright owned by Jackson Entertainment Corp and the they claimed the photos came with full copyright. As you know Vaccaro got many stuff during Jacksons bankruptcy and he went around making the same claim, that Joe hired people hence Joe owned copyright and now Vaccaro owned it.

So there are multiple possibilities here
- the photographer : who seems to be Sam Emerson and sometimes Harison Funk
- Joe Jackson
- Vaccaro (or even Howard Mann perhaps)
- or someone else

Can we check from somewhere who are the parties of lawsuit, then we would know if it is Vaccaro or someone else?

I checked, Estate doesn't know who the cosignor of the photos are and Premiere Prop isn't telling. They asked the court for discovery about that info.

So they are up to their usual tricks. If they owned the copyright they would simple divulge that information to the estate upon request. Any time you see they don't want to give that information you know something shady is going on. This sounds like Mann and his "partner." Usually Mann likes to put some Jackson name on things to fool people into thinking since the parent is involved, the Michael oriented transaction they are involved in is legit.

Now the estate has to waste money again to work on another legal matter. Now people understand what Michael had to go through with crooks.

Why am i not surprise will ppls every learn you can't do this.

Last edited:
Okay i am alittel confuse here it was my understand that Michael hire a photographer for the Victory Tour his own so i am thinking that MJ has all copyright to the Victory Tour and all pictures so now Joe also hire photographer to take pictures also for the Victory Tour so are these the pictures that the Jackson's company are selling and that is why the Estate is suing them?

You can't sell Michael image or his Name without the Estate permission plain and simple. This is why it is call the Michael Jackson Estate it is there to protest him. I wonder if the Jackson understand this even those this is their son you just can't do that.

Last edited:

Why am i not surprise will ppls every learn you can't do this.

I don't understand why over and over people go buy these things when they know Michel has an estate, because it seems the people who want to buy are those who want to make some additional money off the purchase. If you want to make additional money you better make sure you own the rights to what you buy. I don't understand why buyers don't get this. Then these people who keep selling Michael stuff, don't they realize the guy has an estate and they have to make sure there are no copyright issues involved. Why take a statement from a man saying "yeah I own it." That is not legal proof. Anyway I doubt that Joe went and got some guy to take professional photos. This is something Michael would do.

Guys didn't Michael already sack Joe from being his manager by the Victory tour? I am fuzzy with the dates here. Anyone remembers?

That why you better have the copyright if not you will be sued all the time It is so clear what their are doing here now i see what Joe was doing kisses up to the Estate so their want know what he was doing Joe need to really stop this or Michael Jackson Estate will come after him he better watch it.

Last edited:
Anyway I doubt that Joe went and got some guy to take professional photos. This is something Michael would do.

Guys didn't Michael already sack Joe from being his manager by the Victory tour? I am fuzzy with the dates here. Anyone remembers?

I agree with you on that i don't believe Joe hire anybody. Michael has all of the footage of the Victory Tour and pictures in his vault it was mention buy two ppls who were at Sony at the time. That why i want that footage to be release because Michael did it and i know it was done by professional.

It was mention in the movie that the boys didn't want Joe as their manger the contract was not renewal again so this i do believe was before the Victory Tour i think this is what happen.

Last edited:
You know i really don't understand Jackson i know Michael was their son but he is gone and you can't take his name and his image and do what you want with it because he was your son not happen ppls. That is why there is Estate to protest Michael and his kids. Why do the Jackson don't understand this.

I don't understand why over and over people go buy these things when they know Michel has an estate, because it seems the people who want to buy are those who want to make some additional money off the purchase. If you want to make additional money you better make sure you own the rights to what you buy. I don't understand why buyers don't get this. Then these people who keep selling Michael stuff, don't they realize the guy has an estate and they have to make sure there are no copyright issues involved. Why take a statement from a man saying "yeah I own it." That is not legal proof. Anyway I doubt that Joe went and got some guy to take professional photos. This is something Michael would do.

Frank DiLeo was MJ's manager during Victory tour. MJ let Joe go 1979 if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
Frank DiLeo was MJ's manager during Victory tour. MJ let Joe go 1979 if I remember correctly.

Right so why would he hire a photographer to take pictures of the tour. He was already fired.

Right so why would he hire a photographer to take pictures of the tour. He was already fired.

He wasn't anyone's manager, but he was right there hustling and bustling with Don King.

According to this website Harrison Funk was tour photographer
http://www.michael-jackson-trader.com/tours/victorytour.html
and this interview with Harrison Funk is interesting
http://www.newrepublic.com/article/118407/michael-jackson-photographer-harrison-funk-remembers

He says this:
"He had been invited to a party at New York City's Tavern on the Green, and at one point during the night he found himself shooting pictures of Michael and the rest of the Jackson family backstage. Shortly afterward, Funk got a call from Michael's publicist, inviting him to Los Angeles. Without promise of a job or even reimbursement, Funk got on the plane."
and
Funk chronicled Jackson's career, starting with the Jacksons' Victory Tour in 1984 and Michael's first solo tour, Bad (1987-89).
-----------------

The Jackson's announced their Victory tour at Tavern in the Green NY, and to me it sounds like MJ hired him, and Joe is too cheap to spend money for photographer.

So what Ivy says makes sense. MJ hired Harrison Funk, put his photos on that storage that Vaccaro got his hands on later, and now he is trying to sell them.

PS, I was thinking, Harrison Funk showed up this year in media and he was in Forest Lawn meeting fans. Could it be him selling these photos?

He wasn't anyone's manager, but he was right there hustling and bustling with Don King.

According to this website Harrison Funk was tour photographer
http://www.michael-jackson-trader.com/tours/victorytour.html
and this interview with Harrison Funk is interesting
http://www.newrepublic.com/article/118407/michael-jackson-photographer-harrison-funk-remembers

He says this:
"He had been invited to a party at New York City's Tavern on the Green, and at one point during the night he found himself shooting pictures of Michael and the rest of the Jackson family backstage. Shortly afterward, Funk got a call from Michael's publicist, inviting him to Los Angeles. Without promise of a job or even reimbursement, Funk got on the plane."
and
Funk chronicled Jackson's career, starting with the Jacksons' Victory Tour in 1984 and Michael's first solo tour, Bad (1987-89).
-----------------

The Jackson's announced their Victory tour at Tavern in the Green NY, and to me it sounds like MJ hired him, and Joe is too cheap to spend money for photographer.

So what Ivy says makes sense. MJ hired Harrison Funk, put his photos on that storage that Vaccaro got his hands on later, and now he is trying to sell them.

PS, I was thinking, Harrison Funk showed up this year in media and he was in Forest Lawn meeting fans. Could it be him selling these photos?[/QUOTE]

I'd be very surprised, as he has his own website to showcase his work. There are some great Victory tour photos on there:
(Under 'Galleries / The Jacksons')

http://www.harrisonfunk.com/

(Plus I don't think the photos being sold at auction are as good as Harrison's).

Joe was still family...maybe he thought he could show that he could 'do a better job' by getting better photos, maybe he wanted photos for the 'family album' or for Katherine, or for other commercial projects he had in mind? Who knows....

Last edited:
^^Yeah but Joe paying for photos when he knew Michael was taking care of it? I don't know, but this one does not sound believable. Oh well we will soon find out...

Bubs why did Harrison pop up this year in Forest Lawn? Was this something that he did before? Did he know he was going to sell something Michael orientated and thought he would give a physical presence to fans. Yeah and I know he has a website...

^^Yeah but Joe paying for photos when he knew Michael was taking care of it? I don't know, but this one does not sound believable. Oh well we will soon find out...

Bubs why did Harrison pop up this year in Forest Lawn? Was this something that he did before? Did he know he was going to sell something Michael orientated and thought he would give a physical presence to fans. Yeah and I know he has a website...

I don't know the reason why he appeared to Forest Lawn, but this year was first time he went there.
I haven't heard of him in past 5 years, and all of sudden he pops up, and not long after photos goes on sale?

I might be a bit overly suspicious:ermm:

Very odd that Harrison show up now too got to be a catch to this. What is the mystery behind this?

Ivy @Ivy_4MJ · 16h 16 hours ago
Estate gets a default judgment against the consignor of the Victory tour photographs.

Ivy, is your tweet about this case?

yes it is. the part about auction house is still ongoing.

So this mean the judge rule in favor of the Estate?

partially yes.

and technically it's not the judge but the clerk. what happens is when someone sues you, they serve you and you have a certain time to respond to the lawsuit. if you don't respond, they can ask for a default judgment. this is what happened in regards to the consignor of the photos. Default can be reversed if the party can show a valid excuse for why they haven't responded to the lawsuit on time.

partially yes.

and technically it's not the judge but the clerk. what happens is when someone sues you, they serve you and you have a certain time to respond to the lawsuit. if you don't respond, they can ask for a default judgment. this is what happened in regards to the consignor of the photos. Default can be reversed if the party can show a valid excuse for why they haven't responded to the lawsuit on time.

Thank Ivy. Let see what kind of excuse they come up with for not responded on time.

Update: through discovery Estate learned Calson Ventures LLC / Bruce Hutchison is the consignor of the photographs. They had a hard time finding and serving them, eventually having to serve them through alternative means. Calson Ventures failed to respond to the complaint on time and Estate got a default order against them. Now they filed for a default judgment against Calson Ventures. If granted it could establish Estate's copyright ownership. The complaint against the auction house is ongoing.

Back