6 5.00%
  • I LOVE IT!

59 49.17%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Like Morphine?

Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 170
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsCreated Blog entryTagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Do You Like Morphine?

*Morphine
    Last edited by TheManinTheMirror; 08-08-2014 at 01:59 AM.

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 54
    Overall activity: 0.5%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 421 Posts

Default Re: Do You Like Morophine?

LOL @ at the title of this thread. My immediate reaction to the question was like "uh...no?"

Obviously you mean the SONG so in that case, yes I love it. It raw, honest, real. Very artistic (as with all of MJ's most personal songs). I could analyze it for days.

Plus the middle section is hauntingly beautiful. Unnervingly so. I remember when I actually listened to it the first time and I was just slack jawed. Like I was transported into another world mentally. I had to listen to it over and over and over (Ironic, right?)

3. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to J5master For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 354
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,769 Times in 1,500 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by J5master View Post
    LOL @ at the title of this thread. My immediate reaction to the question was like "uh...no?"

Obviously you mean the SONG so in that case, yes I love it. It raw, honest, real. Very artistic (as with all of MJ's most personal songs). I could analyze it for days.

Plus the middle section is hauntingly beautiful. Unnervingly so. I remember when I actually listened to it the first time and I was just slack jawed. Like I was transported into another world mentally. I had to listen to it over and over and over (Ironic, right?)
    Yeah, I did a :wtf: at that thread title too, lol! To be truthful, I was surprised he'd be that frank about the subject.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SheilaMJFan4Ever For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 54
    Overall activity: 0.5%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 421 Posts

Ok I just listened to it again (after not hearing it in a while) and OH MY GOD that middle section STILL gives me chills.

Ok I tried to refrain from going all English major but the song says so much.
    I've always thought the song itself represent the dichotomy of fighting drug addiction. You have the harsh painful battle with the guitars, and the accusations in the lyrics and in MJ's voice. Kinda screaming at you "WHAT ARE YOU DOING? WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?"
    But you still have the voices in the background kinda leading you on, "You heard what the doctor said" and just...all these voices in the back of those guitars, leading you in, but also they're overwhelming because when you try to hear what they're saying - they all start talking at once. Its kinda like a trick. Again, bringing the listener into the drug addiction experience. Because the most clear voice says "you heard what the doctor said?" and you're kinda like 'what is he saying' but by the time you get to that point the voices are many and talking at once and its IRRITATING, because then you got the guitars screaming at you and MJ's voice screaming at you and its like GAH!
    And then BAM! You're in another world. Just like that. Peaceful. Blissful.
    *shivers*
    I'd imagine this is what it's like when you finally give in. The voices are gone, the harshness is gone (the pain). But still, the lyrics - even though its peaceful and quiet, your mind is still like 'what are you doing? oh god what are you doing?' And instead of judgmental and accusatory, the voice is agonizing and almost begging...sorrowful. Because, in essence, the pain is still there, you're just covering it up.
    But still, at the moment, things are nice and floaty. Its like the listener is FEELING what someone going through this would feel. You almost want to bypass what the lyrics are staying and just listen to the floatiness of it all. Like for me, the lyrics that stand out the most are "relax, this won't hurt you" and "close your eyes and count to ten" and "Don't cry"...because they're commands. Everything else kinda floats on by. But its still there.
    And its only temporary. Its an illusion. Because just as fast as you enter euphoria, you come out of it hard and fast - and it almost hurts even more when that happens because its so SHOCKING. As a listener, if you listen to it the first time it scares the living daylights out of you. You're almost tricked into thinking thats how the rest of the song was gonna be. But you're back to the "noise" back to the yelling, back to the voices.

ALSO - i said its ironic that i felt compelled to listen to it over and over earlier cuz its about addiction, but even MORE ironic is when I listened to it the first time...I honestly only listened to it over and over for that MIDDLE part. So the song itself reaches even further in this instance to bring the listener into the experience...into the CYCLE. You keep going through the pain over and over just to get that small bit of relief, that temporary bit of relief.

I think the song is absolutely brilliant.
    Last edited by J5master; 08-08-2014 at 03:21 AM.

7. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to J5master For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

I also L.O.V.E. that song. Have ever since the very first day I heard it. After getting my Blood On The Dance Floor album back in 1997. Back when we still had Michael. It was one of my most played MJ songs. Now it is one of his songs that I really don't listen to anymore. Maybe one of these days I will eventually go back and listen to it again. But I really don't know when.

Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 58
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 813 Posts

Love it. Probably in my top 5-10 MJ songs.
    "Girls want to see some cake."

My Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/edog85

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainEoLove85 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 170
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsCreated Blog entryTagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I adore the song, the middle is just beyond amazing, it is like the Comatose for it, you can't feel anything, but you can feel something.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to TheManinTheMirror For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 354
    Achievements:
    Three Friends10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks

I was 13 when it came out. My first reaction was giggling at the swearing since he had been clean lyric wise till HIStory. As I got older, I enjoyed the music and how raw it sounded with the lyrics.

However, I haven't listened to it since right after he.........left us.

Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 121
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,267 Times in 1,248 Posts

One of my top 5.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SarahJ For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

My all time favorite MJ song.

Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 105
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

It's simply amazing. BOTDF is underrated in general just like Invincible, both contain a number of gems not known to the "public".

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Herrie For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassThree FriendsOverdrive31 days registered1000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Activity Award

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,813 Times in 1,383 Posts

Ok I just listened to it again (after not hearing it in a while) and OH MY GOD that middle section STILL gives me chills.

Ok I tried to refrain from going all English major but the song says so much.
    I've always thought the song itself represent the dichotomy of fighting drug addiction. You have the harsh painful battle with the guitars, and the accusations in the lyrics and in MJ's voice. Kinda screaming at you "WHAT ARE YOU DOING? WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?"
    But you still have the voices in the background kinda leading you on, "You heard what the doctor said" and just...all these voices in the back of those guitars, leading you in, but also they're overwhelming because when you try to hear what they're saying - they all start talking at once. Its kinda like a trick. Again, bringing the listener into the drug addiction experience. Because the most clear voice says "you heard what the doctor said?" and you're kinda like 'what is he saying' but by the time you get to that point the voices are many and talking at once and its IRRITATING, because then you got the guitars screaming at you and MJ's voice screaming at you and its like GAH!
    And then BAM! You're in another world. Just like that. Peaceful. Blissful.
    *shivers*
    I'd imagine this is what it's like when you finally give in.
    The voices are gone, the harshness is gone (the pain). But still, the lyrics - even though its peaceful and quiet, your mind is still like 'what are you doing? oh god what are you doing?' And instead of judgmental and accusatory, the voice is agonizing and almost begging...sorrowful. Because, in essence, the pain is still there, you're just covering it up.
    But still, at the moment, things are nice and floaty. Its like the listener is FEELING what someone going through this would feel. You almost want to bypass what the lyrics are staying and just listen to the floatiness of it all. Like for me, the lyrics that stand out the most are "relax, this won't hurt you" and "close your eyes and count to ten" and "Don't cry"...because they're commands. Everything else kinda floats on by. But its still there.
    And its only temporary. Its an illusion. Because just as fast as you enter euphoria, you come out of it hard and fast - and it almost hurts even more when that happens because its so SHOCKING. As a listener, if you listen to it the first time it scares the living daylights out of you. You're almost tricked into thinking thats how the rest of the song was gonna be. But you're back to the "noise" back to the yelling, back to the voices.

ALSO - i said its ironic that i felt compelled to listen to it over and over earlier cuz its about addiction, but even MORE ironic is when I listened to it the first time...I honestly only listened to it over and over for that MIDDLE part. So the song itself reaches even further in this instance to bring the listener into the experience...into the CYCLE. You keep going through the pain over and over just to get that small bit of relief, that temporary bit of relief.

Yes. Very well said, and you hit the nail on head. As soon as the drug hits your system... you're absolutely right. The pain is gone and you're left, if only temporarily, in a state of total bliss. Or at least what you think is total bliss.

But eventually the drug wears off and it's back to reality again. All the noise, the voices, and worst of all, the pain, comes rushing back to you and hits you full-on. It is just a cover-up. People think that drugs are a solution to their problems when then very opposite is true; they are only a mask to something deeper going on.

And to answer the question, yes. I love Morphine (the song, haha). Not only for the reasons you spoke about above, J5, the arrangement, the lyrics, everything... but the song and the whole experience is one I can relate to on a personal level and just gives me that "you are not alone" feeling. Oddly enough, I find comfort in this song.
    With L.O.V.E.;
    Jenn ("Spyce") - MJJC News, Events & Promotions

"I've been an artist most of my life and I've never attacked a fellow artist. Great artists don’t do that."
    "A star can never die. It just turns into a smile and melts back into the cosmic music, the dance of life."
    “Music has been my outlet, my gift to all of the lovers in this world. Through it, I know I will live forever.”

Connect: MJJC NOW
    Follow MJJC on: Facebook // Twitter
    My site: http://www.mjyouaremylife.com
    Add/Follow Me: Facebook // Twitter // My MJ board on Pinterest

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spyce For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Do You Like Morphine?

This song I have a love/hate for. I first ran across the song when I saw a fan made video for it and the person used footage from the film Requiem For A Dream, a movie I've always wanted to see and a book I've always wanted to read. Now the book/film is about addiction, so the song fits perfect (I finally got the book a couple of years ago and started reading it, but I never finished because reading it was so stressful! It's like daring youself to get through Be Not Always without tearing up once, at least, for me!). Anyway, as stated by the others, it's just pure genuiness and geniousness. And that reality of it, addiction, hits you just as if you were going through it. It pulls at my heart strings, I mean practically plays them as an instrument, so that's why part of me hates it---because you can feel Michael's pain throughout that song. It's undeniable. And that cycle that J5master mentioned, it's crazy how well executed it is! There's no typical happy resolve, only that too short moment of solace in the bridge of the song and then it's back to the exhausting madness. And all you look for is that elusive resolve so you can be relieved. But, I love it because of its complexity and candidness. It's definitely an underrated masterpiece.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Invincible2k1 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 54
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Excellently put, I agree completely! The song is busy and overwhelming to the point where you can feel the pain and frustration, then suddenly you give in and everything is calm. But it quickly turns from quiet to pain as Michael's voice quivers, and then... BAM, you're back.

I especially love the ad-libs towards the end of the song where he becomes almost incoherent. It's so pained and angry but the delivery has a noticeable trace of sadness to it. Very powerful.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to EmCeeSquared For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered

Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Do You Like Morphine?

Artistically, I think it's one of Michael's absolute best. One of those songs that are about a very serious matter and where MJ goes *deep*. I wish there were more of them. If he had recorded an antire album with the mindset that he seemingly had during the BOTDF tracks then it would've been amazing IMO. Difficult perhaps, but amazing. The soundscape for Morphine is incredible, there's just such a nasty depth to the song. Disturbing and sad.

So yeah, it's one of my favorites.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Starwars For This Useful Post: