Was anyone else disappointed by She Was Lovin' Me?

Dilan

Proud Member
Maybe disappointed is a strong word since it is a great song but for me it didn't live to the hype that it was being spoken as before it was released to the public. You had people saying who had heard it through rooney (i remember a quote) something along the lines of it was the best thing MJ had recorded in 15 years. But i just disagree completely i really like invincible, DWA, privacy etc.

When I’ve heard new Timbaland version I thought the same, great but not as perfect as Invincible for example… But when I’ve heard the original I’ve changed my opinion - the song is really strong and Michael’s vocal is awesome. IMO the song could be that perfect and better than any other if Michael could end the production.

I like it, I think the demo is a little draggy, but of course that simply because it's a demo. The demo does bring more of a mysterious sound though

Last edited:
Personally I really like the song.. It's a pop song that has influence from the jazz era of music. That's all Michael's doing!! As far as timbas take on it, I like that too.. Reason he didn't fully change the instrumental vibe, he made specific sounds that were already there hit harder etc.. It's not a fully reworked song, more so the only one on the album that's a true "updated" version.

Thats just me...

Jazz era music? Isn't more of a rock-type of song? Anyways, I agree that the 2010 was full of hype and it didn't fully live to it; it sounded incomplete despite the fact that it was pulled out of the project immediately.

I love the song. With the leak of the rock version, I have an even bigger appreciation for the song now.

I truly love the song, especially the Timbaland version. It is faster and has great production. The original is great because of the vocals but it drags too much, and I understand since it was a demo.

These are all new to me (I don't download or listen to bootlegged music). That said, I like both the demo and the Timbaland touched up versions.

I like the Timbaland version a lot. It's my fav song off the album. But... it is just a matter of taste...

Jazz era music? Isn't more of a rock-type of song? Anyways, I agree that the 2010 was full of hype and it didn't fully live to it; it sounded incomplete despite the fact that it was pulled out of the project immediately.

Notice i edited the post immediately.. I thought thread was about "loving you" just my mix up.. Ur fast though I edited right after I posted

I actually don't like the Timbaland version. I feel it took the emotion of the song out. The Demo and Rock version still has it.

Im glad birchey agrees. Although I do not agree how you feel about the STTR Timbaland did. I do like that. Sadly that is the only new mix I do like. Michael was singing with emotion. I feel Timbaland sucked the vibe out the song and redid it how he thought would feel good to his standards. Result was a bunch of fart sounds and ducks quacking.

Im glad birchey agrees. Although I do not agree how you feel about the STTR Timbaland did. I do like that. Sadly that is the only new mix I do like. Michael was singing with emotion. I feel Timbaland sucked the vibe out the song and redid it how he thought would feel good to his standards. Result was a bunch of fart sounds and ducks quacking.
He just turned it into a pretty bland R&B cut. The bassline in the verses is fine, but the chorus is just an overproduced mess imo. Same goes for the quacking duck sound effects. Just unnecessary clutter that does not fit the original vibe of the song. Compared to that I like the idea of the Rooney/Taryll version a bit more (though I agree it's not mixed well) because, as you say, it at least highlights the emotion in the chorus somewhat. But I think both versions, for no clear reason, remove the mysterious and more dramatic atmosphere of the original, which I think is its most interesting aspect.

Personally I think the songwriting on this one is just not very strong to begin with, though. Nevertheless, I would love to hear a more decent mix of the original demo.

I believe Rooney is referring to Michael's vocals on Chicago.

I believe Michael's vocals are amazing on this track! He is storyteller and conscience in one song. I sometimes sympathize with him that the affair had to end. laughs

The fact that the Michael's vocals shine on three different musical genre mixes (R/B, HipHop, Rock) means he left the studio microphone in smoke when he was through. One of the best tracks Michael did and one of the best on Xscape.

I wasn't disappointed with it. Although I like the rock mix better than timbaland's version. As SoCav said the chorus is just a mess and doesn't sound good at all. So the demo on the album is mono right? Anybody know why they'd put that on there? It makes the demo hard to listen to imo. Although I enjoy the demo the most.

I love all the versions of it, except the rock version (just differing tastes).

Chicago grew on me - both the original and the mixed version, and it had nothing to do with not feeling MJ's emotion in it. I just felt the song was too busy sounding, in both versions. But it grew on me and now I love it. I like the mix version because...actually for me, its angrier sounding. I listen to it and still have that "oh daaaaaaaamn son you got played" feeling, like you're watching Jerry Springer lol. The original has more of a mysterious - I'm walking in on some kinda mystery, like I'm watching an episode of "Cheaters" instead. Still the same kinda thing, but just a different flavor lol.

Chicago is the best song on Xscape for me. Contemporized version is the best of contemporized versions (along with Slave To The Rhythm) and Original version is by far the best original version. So I don't know what some of you are talking about.

I was little disappointed in She Was Loving Me (2010 version) because it was too hyped up by D.Shield*. Still great song, but I expected more with the production of both MJ vocals and new instrumental. Timbaland did amazing work with MJ vocals! MJ sounds incredible, one of his best vocal performances EVER! So again, I don't know what some of you are talking about.

I love the rock version. So good, and way better than timberblands version. My only issue with it is the guitars could be louder in the mix, in fact, the mix could be a little better, but then it may not be the final version.
Anyone know who plays the guitar solo? It sounds like Bucketheads tone, but I can't find any info on it.

Back