History could have been better

loka

Proud Member
if we replace some weak tracks by some of "the blood on the dancefloor" album we get this fantastic album :

1 Scream
2-TDCAU
3-DS
4-Stranger in Moscow
5-Earth Song
6-Blood on the dancefloor
7-Ghost
8-You are not alone
9-Tabloid Junkie
10-Is it scary
11-Childhood
12-Morphine

With this Tracklist, the album would have had more impact imo.
Remember that MJ had already these tracks finished in 95...

Who was this guy who said that every track in an album should be good enough to be a single ?
Yes, his name is Michael Jackson.

Last edited:
What do you mean by 'better'? Personal appeal or commercial success?

On a side note: It's interesting how so called music experts praised "This Time Around" being one of the smashes of the album prior to its release and in the end it almost did not make it a single (it has been a US radio airplay single only).

Would have pretty much been the most amazing album ever if they had of included blood on dance floor, morphine and is it scary instead of d.s, little susie and either come together/smile.

Are you sure this isn't your own personal bias? Seriously,the album's perfect the way that it is. And with the 15-tracks already on it timing to almost 80 minutes,he wouldn't have been able to fit anymore songs on it,adding on a third disc,making it more expensive,which he didn't want at the time.

Only change I would have made is take Come Together off in favor of On The Line, or leave CT on the album, but it would be the long version...which means other tracks would be cut to make room for the full version of it.

Only change I would have made is take Come Together off in favor of On The Line, or leave CT on the album, but it would be the long version...which means other tracks would be cut to make room for the full version of it.
Speaking of the long version of Come Together is there anywhere online I can get this? Im assuming its not on iTunes or Spotify?

To me, Little Susie is the worst MJ song recorded. Boring, bla. I don't care what message he was conveying. Awful. waste of space.
The album desperately needed at least one more upbeat song that wasn't about people he hated.
I mean, DS/Tabloid Junkie/and Money ALONE are way too many angry songs about his personal life, not including the awesome ones like TDCAU, Scream, and This Time Around.

Come Together is like the only fun song on the album.

Don't get me wrong. I love the whole album, but it would have benefitted from at least one fun song that wasn't a cover.

Would have pretty much been the most amazing album ever if they had of included blood on dance floor, morphine and is it scary instead of d.s, little susie and either come together/smile.

Little Susie and Smile are great. Never understood why some fans hate Little Susie. It's a great song.

If I had to replace songs on HIStory it would be Come Together, This Time Around (probably my least favourite MJ song ever) and D.S.

Little Susie the worst MJ song ever? Na not even close. "If You Don't Love Me" or the original version of "Love Never Felt So Good" fits that bill.

Some people criticize HIStory for being too dark and angry, but after what Michael went through in 1993 what did they expect? For him to write songs like ''Shake Your Body (Down To The Ground)''as if nothing ever happened?

Michael told HIS story on the album.
He´s angry but he finished the album with Smile

Smile and maybe tomorrow
You'll find that life is still worthwhile
If you just smile...

It´s an angry album but he ends the album with a hope for something better.

I think little Susie is a great song and it´s important to tell the story of an abused child

HIStory was almost perfect on that tracklist because the songs reflected his current state of mind, the anger, sadness and frustration after that disgusting ordeal he was made to go through. The only off song IMO was Come Together, I'd had replaced it with Much Too Soon or Morphine but Blood On The Dance Floor would have been brilliant as an EP, it didn't need the remixes whatsoever, however it seemed obvious Michael did it due to contractual reasons because he hated those remixes.

It was quite epic and clever Michael started with all those negative feelings I mentioned earlier for the injustice and that massive crusade to destroy him but he had a room to Smile at the end against all odds. About Little Susie, aren't men (some) sensitive enough to understand and appreciate it's a haunting composition that tells the story of an abused and neglected child who end up dying? Even though some children allowed their parents poisoning them and betrayed him, he still cared about all the children's well being deeply, wanted to help them and remained as a strong inspiration to him.

SmoothCriminal1995;4040102 said:
I love HIStory because I feel it's Michael bearing his soul, at the most difficult time in his life
I agree. Thematically it's probably his most cohesive record and I think that's one of its strong points. It's not my favourite MJ album overall (though they're always so hard to rank), but it works really well as an album. If he wanted to, he could have pushed that even further and substituted some songs that ended up on BOTDF (mainly Is It Scary and Morphine) with tracks on HIStory that were less relevant to the overall thematic structure of the album.

But I think MJ's albums were always more of a versatile experience - in musical styles (there had to be a dance song, a rock song, an anthem), but also in the emotions expressed in his music. I think one reason for that is that he wanted his albums to be showcases of perfection. Remember how he said: "you take an album like Nutcracker Suite, every song is a killer, every one. So I said to myself, ‘Why can’t there be a pop album where every [song is a killer]?’" I think it's much harder to achieve that degree of perfection when you focus all your writing around one main mood/theme. I think another reason also has to do with his perfectionism, namely that he worked for so many years to create one album. He was not the type of artist to lock himself up and churn out an album in more or less three weeks. It's only natural that when an album is created over a longer period of time, the songs are going to be a reflection of more experiences and moods. Thirdly, MJ was a complex person, who wanted to use his music to express many different things. And finally, he of course also wanted his music to appeal to a broad audience. I think HIStory was already a very bold step for someone considered the king of pop, in that he was bound to lose some of the pop audience because of the songs' angry nature.

Enough rambling. Man, what a great album.

My God...Smile & Little Susie are two of the best pieces of music ever commited to vinyl.

Maybe I can understand some not liking Little Susie, it is complicated & macabre..but Smile?

It's completely beautiful.

HIStory may not be perfect (e.g. DS) but it's the most personal & autobiographical of MJ's work. It's the book Moonwalk should have been in terms of getting an insight into his mind.

My review below said it all.

http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/threads/44385-HIStory-Review

well i disagree...

Smile is just another version of a well known track sung by Nathalie Cole and his father for example.

The version of Nathalie Cole is way better than Michael's and it was done years before MJ's version.

What did MJ bring to this Track ? Please, tell me...

Listen : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3xIYUbeR98

well i disagree...

Smile is just another version of a well known track sung by Nathalie Cole and his father

The version of Nathalie Cole is way better than Michael's. It's just a fact. You just have to open your ears...

What did MJ bring to this track with his own version ? Nothing...

Ps : Sorry for the double-post...

well i disagree...

Smile is just another version of a well known track sung by Nathalie Cole and his father for example.

The version of Nathalie Cole is way better than Michael's and it was done years before MJ's version.

What did MJ bring to this Track ? Please, tell me...

I've read some stuff in my time but this....wow!

I've read some stuff in my time but this....wow!

Please, bring some arguments...

Did you know the previous versions of Smile and please answer :

What did MJ bring to the track, except his name ?

I hope you really give a try to Nathalie Cole version which stills the reference...

Well, you're deaf then. When Michael finished the song, the musicians present gave him a round of applause. It meant the world him recording a composition by his idol Sir Charles Chaplin and his favorite one.

Please, bring some arguments...

Did you know the previous versions of Smile and please answer :

What did MJ bring to the track, except his name ?

I hope you really give a try to Nathalie Cole version which stills the reference...

So you think that Nathalie Cole did the original and then accuse others of not knowing the song's history? LOL.

Well, you're deaf then. When Michael finished the song, the musicians present gave him a round of applause. It meant the world him recording a composition by his idol Sir Charles Chaplin and his favorite one.

Please, forget one second that you're a fan and listen to Nathalie Cole Version...

You will understand my Point.

Please, forget one second that you're a fan and listen to Nathalie Cole Version...

You will understand my Point.

We get it. You prefer her version. That does not mean everyone has to agree.

So you think that Nathalie Cole did the original and then accuse others of not knowing the song's history? LOL.

absolutely not... As i said in my post :

The problem is that "MJ did bring NOTHING to this well known track".

And when i mean nothing, i really mean it.

His version is even not the best to date of this track.

Back