Rethinking Invincible

jtabbott8

Proud Member
Inspired by a thread I saw about the HIStory album. I began to think about the Invincible album. Now, before I say this, please know that I do love the Invincible album, but I also feel like it could have been SOOOO much better had the track list been a little different. If Invincible is your favorite album, I'm not attacking that in any way shape or form, because as i previously stated, I too love the album. I compiled a playlist of a Invincible with a different track list, and I absolutely love it, and wish that the final album looked a little more like this. I'd love to hear your opinions on the album and other tracks recorded during this time.Once again, for all the hardcore Invincible lovers, I am in no way taking anything away from you, so don't get upset please, lol.
The Invincible track list I compiled looks like this:

1)Unbreakable
2)Heartbreaker
3)Invincible
4)Break of Dawn
5)Heaven Can Wait
6)You Rock My World
7)Hollywood Tonight (Original Version)
8)The Way You Love Me
9)Butterflies
10)Speechless
11)She Was Loving Me (The newly leaked version w/ more of a rock feel)
12)Whatever Happens
13)(I Can't Make It) Another Day
14)Xscape
15)A Place with No Name
16)One More Chance
17)We've Had Enough

This (in my opinion) makes a more cohesive and overall better (in my opinion) album.

I also think Invincible could have worked as a double album, with a track list something like this:

*DISC ONE*

1)Unbreakable
2)Heartbreaker
3)Invincible
4)Break of Dawn
5)Heaven Can Wait
6)You Rock My World
7)Hollywood Tonight (Original Version)
8)The Way You Love Me
9)Butterflies
10)Speechless
11)One More Chance

*DISC TWO*
1)Shout
2)She Was Loving Me (The newly leaked version w/ more of a rock feel)
3)Whatever Happens
4)(I Can't Make It) Another Day
5)Xscape
6)A Place with No Name
7)Threatened
8)You Are My Life
9)The Lost Children
10)Cry
11)What More Can I Give
12)We've Had Enough

Enough with these threads. Invincible was fine just the way it was and Michael released it the way he wanted it to be. This reminds me of a term that was a parody of "little monsters" (Lady Gaga fans) called "little managers". Meaning that fans micromanage every bit of someone's career.

Enough with these threads. Invincible was fine just the way it was and Michael released it the way he wanted it to be. This reminds me of a term that was a parody of "little monsters" (Lady Gaga fans) called "little managers". Meaning that fans micromanage every bit of someone's career.

See... This is exactly what I was trying to avoid. Yes, as i previously stated, Invincible was/is a great album already. But now that we have more unreleased music from the time, I thought it would be good to compile a playlist of tracks that didn't make the cut, or replace tracks... I am in no way trying to be a "manager" I compiled a two disc set of Invincible that I really enjoy and wanted to share with fans, especially since I know fans who do things like this all the time.. Sorry if it upset you, it was posted out of love.

C'mon, it's just for fun.

I haven't thought about Invincible yet. I will later.

This is Michael's final studio album, sure the vocals aren't perfect.. but i think that it is wonderfully put together.. i love all the song's on there, it should be played extremely loud! Break Of Dawn & Butterfiles are absolutely divine when you hear all the aspects come together clearly.. it's great.. and i wouldn't have it any other way. It deserves a 20th anniversary when the time come's, with a full unreleased disc.. 30th anniversary concert, New York 2001 Interview, Night At The Apollo (Michael's segment) & United We Stand (MITM, Speech & WMCIG) as well as the solo demo with in-studio footage! maybe use all the colors on the album cover.. just thinking ahead is all..

^ Actually I think the vocals are the strongest point of this album.

Was MJ so uninspired for Invincible that he needed a team of 5-7 co-writers to get the job done?

She Was Loving Me (The newly leaked version w/ more of a rock feel) is 2010 version.
17 tracks can't fit on 1 CD.

This is Michael's final studio album, sure the vocals aren't perfect..

WHAT??? Aren't perfect??? Please take another listen! Best vocal performances in his entire career (Butterflies, Whatever Happenes, Heaven Can Wait, Speechless, Threatened, Unbreakable, Break of Dawn...).

Was MJ so uninspired for Invincible that he needed a team of 5-7 co-writers to get the job done?

No. A lot of times people were given writing credits for nothing. For example one guy was given writing credits for finding a writers demo and give it to Michael. Also Teddy Riley often received writing credits but mainly he was just producing (and not writing) the song.

Also MJ wrote himself around 100 songs for Invincible (many much stronger than some of the released songs: Hollywood Tonight...). But he thought that Rodney Jerkins collaborations is the right way to go. Too bad Sony never gave it a chance. That new sound they created was amazing.

"According to Quiller, a friend left a CD at his house with the song "Heaven Can Wait" on it. When he heard the song, he knew it would be perfect for Jackson, so he shared it with Riley, who agreed.

When Riley presented the song to Jackson, the King of Pop loved it and wanted to include it on his album.

Although Quiller didn't write the song, he said Jackson gave him a songwriting credit for the role he played."

http://www.qcitymetro.com/living/articles/a_qcity_man_recalls_time_with_michael_jackson085248848.cfm

MJ was too nice.

I really don't know why folks feel the need to add Another Day onto the album - I guess to me, it doesn't add much of anything lol (then again I'm really not that crazy about Another Day and don't really listen to it often. I think Privacy is 100xs better - it has a muuuch better groove to it, and - hard to describe but its more...powerful? I mean blasting that song just blows the speakers right out of the place.)

As far as the multiple producers, I don't think he felt he "needed" to do anything. Even IF many of them had a significant hand in making the album, it doesn't take away from MJ's magic because the final cut came from HIM. And he equally had a hand in every single song, so I'm not sure why people are always up in arms about that. Nothing went on that album without MJ's approval. If MJ didn't feel the song or wasn't inspired by it, it wouldn't go on the album. Also - so what if at that point in his career he felt like experimenting with collaborations? Sometimes artists just feel like doing that - and its not because they are artistically uninspired, but they just feel like it because thats their prerogative, not because they feel they need to lol

Also yes, I think MJ's headspace was different for that album because he making his way through being a new father at the same time as writing the album. But I don't think that means anything better or worse, I think it means that there is a difference.

Now, all that said -- UNBREAKABLE.

Freakin Unbreakable.

I'm FOREVER BITTER about Sony f**king it up for MJ and not making that the first single like he wanted.

Just in hindsight, looking at the music industry now and the trends of what people like to listen to...THAT would have been such a HUGE hit with little to no effort. MJ was 100% right about this and it should been the first song to kick it off. ARggggrrggggggg! (Forever shaking my fist at Sony).

If I HAD to add any song to the album, I'd put in Xscape, Chicago, and Shout (it might not have been unconventional but I think people would have had a kick out of hearing MJ rap). In fact, I might replace 2000 Watts with Shout. I know 2000 Watts was meant to show off his deep voice but I think more people would be shocked about him RAPPING than him using a deep voice lol.

Last edited:
This is Michael's final studio album, sure the vocals aren't perfect..

why do you think so ? I dont see anything wrong with his vocals. What I dont like about couple of the songs is that there is too many different background vocalists, for me the magic happens when Michael does it himself. Layers of his voice is the best thing Ive heard in my life, no need for others to be on those records.

In my opinion Invincible is great but not perfect. Reason: too many slow songs and too many fillers or "weaker" songs (still good songs but not up to MJ's album songs standard), also the album is too long. To make it better and commercially more successful I would remove some songs and replace some songs with better and stronger songs from those sessions.

1. Unbreakable
2. Heartbreaker
3. Invincible
4. Break Of Dawn
5. Heaven Can Wait
6. You Rock My World
7. Butterflies
8. Speechless
9. Another Day
10. One More Chance
11. We've Had Enough
12. Whatever Happens
13. Threatened

2000 Watts, Privacy & Cry are in my opinion MJ's weakest songs in his entire career.
You Are My Life & Don't Walk Away are nice ballads but not strong enough and there is already enough slow songs that are much better (Break Of Dawn, Heaven Can Wait, Butterflies & Speechless).
The Lost Children is beautiful and have very strong melody but again, like I said for Childhood and Little Susie, they don't fit on commercially successful pop album. MJ should have made an entire album with that kind of songs (Childhood, Little Susie, Smile, The Lost Children, Scared Of The Moon...).
Songs that I would add: One More Chance, Another Day & We've Had Enough.
I wouldn't add Xscape, Blue Gangsta or APWNN because I think the direction MJ was going at the time wouldn't fit the rest of the album.
I would of course add Hollywood Tonight and Fall Again if MJ finished them in time.

Now, all that said -- UNBREAKABLE.

Freakin Unbreakable.

I'm FOREVER BITTER about Sony f**king it up for MJ and not making that the first single like he wanted.

Just in hindsight, looking at the music industry now and the trends of what people like to listen to...THAT would have been such a HUGE hit with little to no effort. MJ was 100% right about this and it should been the first song to kick it off. ARggggrrggggggg! (Forever shaking my fist at Sony).

Well, Sony thought that Unbreakable wasn't that much radio friendly compared to You Rock My World.
But you're right, Michael wanted to shoot an 18-minute short film for it :( That would've have been great.

I think Invincible for me is probably one of the weaker albums but still has some incredible work on it. I find I have to be pretty chilled out to listen to it as I think most of the album is a smooth RnB type of sound. Incredible opening 3 songs but I felt the formula for the 3 was exactly the same so it didn't quite work to have those 3 track-after-track.

Well, Sony thought that Unbreakable wasn't that much radio friendly compared to You Rock My World.

^^ well I think Sony is wrong lol

I think in that shift of music culture and even right now - the strongest stuff MJ had were those songs where MJ talked about something personal to him which also related to the masses. It was perfect for radio and perfect for his image. Unbreakable was that song. I think it's catchier than YRMW, it has more of an "anthem" type feel than YRMW (and anthems are pretty much formula hit makers), and EVERYONE can sing it at the top of their lungs and relate to it. And imagine the club mixes! JFC that song would have been hot.

Just think about all the songs that have come out after that time that had that "IDGAF what you think I'm awesome and I'm gonna take you out" anthem to it. MJ was ahead of the game. He knew what was up.

Besides I think the biggest problem MJ fundamentally had with sony is sony telling him what THEY think is right for him career wise (on top of the other stuff). How are THEY gonna tell HIM what was more radio friendly when MJ had proven for over 30 years that he knew exactly what radio friendly was? LOL

Last edited:
Well... Invincible is at the top of my favorite 3 albums from Michael with Dangerous and HIStory. But I have to say; it has so weak songs in it.

First; "You're My Life"

I know what this song is written about but it's so weak and slow. His vocals add nothing to it. So the song is just and ordinary RnB song.

Second; "Don't Walk Away"

Just like, "You're My Life" it's just an ordinary song. I have the same feelings about it.

Third: "Cry"

Oh God, how I hate that song? You have a song like "We've Had Enough" and you're adding "Cry" to the album? What? Weak, meaningless.

I love "The Lost Children" but not his very best. Not strong enough to make that album. It could've been way better.

And here is my tracklist;

1. Unbreakable
2. Heartbreaker (not sure, can add "Another Day")
3. Invincible
4. Break of Dawn
5. Heaven Can't Wait
7. Speechless
8. Privacy
9. We've Had Enough
10. Whatever Happens
11. Threatened

She Was Loving Me (The newly leaked version w/ more of a rock feel) is 2010 version.
17 tracks can't fit on 1 CD.

You can fit 17 tracks on 1 cd. It's possible. Cd's are 80 minutes long. You can easily put a couple 3 minute songs on there, edit down the songs that run 5 or 6 minutes down. It's possible.

For me, I would have done the Invincible album this way:

1. Unbreakable
2. Hollywood Tonight
3. Break Of Dawn
4. A Place Without No Name
5. Butterflies
6. You Rock My World (without the spoken intro)
7. Slave To The Rhythm
8. Speechless
9. Blue Gangsta
10. You Are My Life
11. Don't Walk Away
12. 2000 Watts
13. On The Line
14. Whatever Happens
15. Theatened
16. We've Had Enough

Invincible is off the album as I find this track the weakest of the original 16. New album title would either be Whatever Happens, Unbreakable or Threatened.

On The Line replaces Cry as I think it's a better feel good anthem type song then Cry. Cry would be released along with What More Can I Give for 9/11 charity. We've Had Enough goes on the album in place of Privacy. Anti War/fighting over anti- tabloids any time for me. The rest I picked from what should have been originally released (minus Xscape which isn't on there because I think eventually MJ would have used that on an album later on.)

You can fit 17 tracks on 1 cd. It's possible. Cd's are 80 minutes long. You can easily put a couple 3 minute songs on there, edit down the songs that run 5 or 6 minutes down. It's possible.

1. Unbreakable
2. Hollywood Tonight
3. Break Of Dawn
5. Butterflies
7. Slave To The Rhythm
8. Speechless
9. Blue Gangsta
10. You Are My Life
11. Don't Walk Away
12. 2000 Watts
13. On The Line
14. Whatever Happens
15. Theatened
16. We've Had Enough

Invincible is off the album as I find this track the weakest of the original 16. New album title would either be Whatever Happens, Unbreakable or Threatened.

On The Line replaces Cry as I think it's a better feel good anthem type song then Cry. Cry would be released along with What More Can I Give for 9/11 charity. We've Had Enough goes on the album in place of Privacy. Anti War/fighting over anti- tabloids any time for me. The rest I picked from what should have been originally released (minus Xscape which isn't on there because I think eventually MJ would have used that on an album later on.)

Great stuff. Although I really like Invincible the song (maybe apart from the rap!) so I would add that in instead of 'Don't Walk Away' which I consider to be his weakest ever song.

1. Unbreakable
2. Hollywood Tonight
3. Break Of Dawn
5. Butterflies
7. Slave To The Rhythm
8. Speechless
9. Blue Gangsta
10. You Are My Life
11. Don't Walk Away
12. 2000 Watts
13. On The Line
14. Whatever Happens
15. Theatened
16. We've Had Enough

Slave To The Rhythm (1989) is Dangerous era song. It was not even considered for Invincible except for MJ playing it to Rodney Jerkins along with numerous other songs.

On The Line is HIStory outtake featured in Get On The Bus film (1996) and released on Ghosts box-set in 1997.

Im wondering, was Michael considering touring for Invincible before the promotion stopped? Im trying to imagine what would it be like if there was Invicible world tour.

Im wondering, was Michael considering touring for Invincible before the promotion stopped? Im trying to imagine what would it be like if there was Invicible world tour.

Yes he was, but not in the US.

michael-jackson-devil-poster-tommy-mottola-sony-300x272.jpg

IT'S WAR; WORLD EXCLUSIVE: Michael Jackson Breaks His Silence in His Feud with Record Boss

May 15, 2002

MICHAEL Jackson and his record company boss Tommy Mottola are at war over the music legend's fading career.

The self-styled "King of Pop" has sold more than 120million albums in a 24-year solo career with the giant Sony corporation but in an astonishing attack, Jackson, 42, accused the company's chief Tommy Mottola of:

SABOTAGING his career by refusing to release any singles from his latest album Invincible, which would have helped world-wide sales of the struggling record, FAILING to advertise and promote the album during a record-breaking US television special about the superstar and WRECKING possible plans to sign a lucrative record contract with another label. Troubled Jackson has told close friends that he is disgusted with the treatment he has received.

A pal said: "Michael wants out of Sony, and he believes that some of the highest people in that company are hoping to make him pay the price for his disloyalty.

"The company has have stopped all promotion on the Invincible album, prevented him from releasing singles and basically sabotaged his career. "Jackson is furious at Mottola and any working relationship they had is now over".

"They are the two most powerful men in music going head to head in an all out war."

Poor sales of Invincible, the star's seventh for Sony-owned Epic Records, has sparked the bitter row which has been kept a secret until now.

Mottola, 52, former husband of Mariah Carey, is probably the most powerful man in the music business.

Bob Dylan, Ricky Martin and Destiny's Child are just some of the major stars on his Sony roster.

Jackson, however, has failed to recapture his 80's popularity which saw his Thriller and Bad albums sell 52million and 25million copies to date.

Invincible, his first album in six years, went to No1 in the UK and US album charts, but sank without trace within weeks.

Now Jackson believes the feud has been triggered by his shrewd business ventures which will entitle him to 50 per cent of Sony's revenue even if he leaves the record label.

In 1995 Jackson merged his music publishing catalogue, which contains more than 1,000 songs including 251 Beatles titles, with Sony's publishing catalogue. Sony and Jackson share the cash in a 50-50 split of the catalogue earnings, which DOESN'T include his own albums.

Jackson fulfiled his contractual obligation to Sony by releasing Invincible - and a future greatest hits album - and wants to leave the company while still making a huge profit from them.

The source said: "Tommy Mottola is angered by all this to say the least. Michael believes that Tommy wants to make sure that all the time and money invested over the three-year Invincible project will be lost.

"Michael sees it as a punishment for him outsmarting the corporate minds of a record company that is already in financial difficulty."

But music industry insiders say Jackson is merely the victim of his own bad career move.

One said: "Michael borrowed millions from Sony to make Invincible and the album has done so badly that he can't raise enough money from sales to pay it back.

"Now Michael is blaming Sony for the poor sales, so he has a reason not to come up with the money.

"But Sony will have a cemented contract which will cover them. They are not even obliged to put up a billboard advertising his album if they don't want to."

Jackson appeared to be as popular as ever when he launched his album last October amid a blaze of publicity.

He staged two Jackson Five reunion concerts at New York's Madison Square Garden to mark his comeback. Both concerts sold out in FIVE hours grossing more than $12million.

The shows were then televised by CBS last November netting a record-breaking 26million viewers - the most watched TV speciality programme in that network's history.

But sources claim that despite requests from the star his record company failed to place a television advert publicising his new album during the broadcast.

The insider said: "It was crazy. It was the perfect platform to sell the album to a massive TV audience.

"Sony claimed CBS had no airspace for the advert. Jackson again put in the request for a repeat airing of the show in January but they said there was no air space - this is bizarre when the show on TV is a Michael Jackson concert."

Then Jackson recorded an all-star tribute to the Victims of September 11 which included stars such as Ricky Martin, Destiny's Child, Shakira, Celine Dion and Gloria Estefan.

But despite the commercial power of such a line up Sony did not release the song, much to Jackson's bewilderment.

The source added: "This song was to raise money for charity and there's no doubt that it had so many stars involved that it could have been a success.

"Jackson offered to create a Sony Play- station game which would have attracted considerable interest.

"He also offered to participate in film ventures for Sony Pictures for no fee as a part of his own promotional effort."

Neither offer was accepted, said the source.

Jackson's sudden loss of popularity has baffled the music industry and fans alike.

His last major album, History, released in 1995, was the biggest selling double album of all time. He toured and sold out arenas around the world including the RDS in Dublin and Wembley Stadium for three nights.

Then in 1997 he released Blood On The Dance Floor as a re-mix album. Despite critics in the media branding it a failure, it was the biggest selling re-mix album of all time.

Yet by the end of March Sony had deleted Invincible from their international priority list of projects.

As a comparison, his last album History didn't cease to be an international priority until more than TWO years after its release.

A source said: "Even if Michael walks out of Sony today he gets half the revenue that many of their artists are bringing in.

"That's a bitter pull to swallow for bosses at the company who probably feel that Michael has outwitted them.

"In retaliation they are making it as difficult as possible for Michael to be appealing to any record company.

"Poor album sales, a lack of promotion and the frustration this will cause amongst fans will really hinder Michael's ambitions.

"Lots of the fans have started to think that Michael is not interested in music any more and has given up.

"But this couldn't be further from the truth. Even when he launched Invincible late last year he was working around the clock to make it a success. He even staged a record signing in New York where thousands of fans got to meet him - he had never done that before.

"What has happened can not be put down to simple indifference.

"Only five years ago Michael was still on top of the pop world and selling millions of records. He is still regarded by people in the music industry as the most talented and gifted artist in the world.

"Record companies would still fall over themselves to sign him up and he has already received a number of high profile offers.

"It's only a matter of time before Michael signs up with a new company and he's determined to overcome this problem.

"Despite the rumours that have been created around him he is still determined to keep a high profile in the music business. Michael believes he is still a big player in the music business and all the facts to date would still suggest that.

"But because the album has dropped away so quickly many are presuming that Jackson has lost the old magic.

"It just doesn't make sense that his new album has disappeared without trace."

Despite the feud, Jackson has continued to command a high profile in the music world.

In January he was named the Artist of the Century at the prestigious American Music Awards.

In March he made an appearance as best man at childhood friend Liza Minelli's wedding to David Gest.

Meanwhile, rumours have been circulating that he is in financial difficulty and struggling to pay off a number of loans.

It was recently revealed that he is so short of cash he had to pawn a pounds 1.4million watch to get a loan.

But Jackson, who owns a zoo and employs 120 staff at his Neverland ranch in California, insists that he has nothing to worry about. He added: "I'm comfortable and well looked after. I don't have to worry about money."

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-85942656.html

Invincible is a good album, but could have been even better if he'd simply left off certain songs.

The only way to properly rethink Invincible is to create an almost entirely different track listing.

Of the sixteen songs chosen for release, very little measure up to the standard Michael had set on History and Blood on the Dance Floor. "Unbreakable" is an excellent opening track, "Speechless" is immensely and effortlessly charming, "Don't Walk Away" is excellent by all measures, and "Whatever Happens" is one of the most under recognized tracks in his catalog.

Every other track is, in my opinion, either completely disposable or not strong enough to demand inclusion.

First things first, cut the track listing down to around twelve songs. Something short and sweet largely in the vein of his earlier work. There's no need to push the track listing to come close to the 80-minute CD run time limit. Less tracks, less chance of having a filler-heavy album.

Second, do not front load the album with too many ballads - no more than 4-5. And there is absolutely no reason why "Beautiful Girl" - easily the best track he recorded for the entire project - should not be included.

Finally, choose different producers. Rodney Jerkins contributed only one track I find essential ("Unbreakable"), and Teddy Riley delivered two ("Don't Walk Away," "Whatever Happens"). The rest of the roster should be changed entirely. Perhaps more self-produced tracks? Throw Jimmy Jam/Terry Lewis a bone? Maybe branch out and pick someone entirely new?

The only way to properly rethink Invincible is to create an almost entirely different track listing.

Of the sixteen songs chosen for release, very little measure up to the standard Michael had set on History and Blood on the Dance Floor. "Unbreakable" is an excellent opening track, "Speechless" is immensely and effortlessly charming, "Don't Walk Away" is excellent by all measures, and "Whatever Happens" is one of the most under recognized tracks in his catalog.

Every other track is, in my opinion, either completely disposable or not strong enough to demand inclusion.

"Don't Walk Away" is a really weird way to spell "Threatened"...

Jokes aside, how the hell is Don't Walk Away there but not Threatened?! THREATENED!!! We could not disagree more on this haha :lol: Like honestly I'd argue Threatened is one of the most creative tracks on Invincible - no, POST DANGEROUS - for the Rod Serling rap alone. Dead man rapping as I like to call it! And don't even get me started on that gloriooouuusss instrumental :p

Specific song choices aside, I do generally agree with your consensus, especially in regards to cutting down the track listing. It's a very long album and it's the idea of quality vs quantity to some degree. I know Michael liked to drag things on, I've heard many stories about him being forced to trim down songs in the Thriller sessions thanks to the length of an LP... even having to frantically cut down HIStory at the last minute because it was too long for disc. Sometimes though, shorter is sweeter and 12 seems like a good number to cut it down to. I also don't get how so many of the unreleased songs from these sessions (APWNN, Xscape, Another Day, Hollywood Tonight) are far greater than the songs that made the final cut!

In addition, stop relying on so many producers and writers! Aside MJ, 10 producers and 31 writers!!! (I'm including those who wrote Biggie's rap). No wonder it feels like the least MJ of all his albums! Funny how Speechless, one of the greatest tracks on Invincible by far, was produced and written entirely by Michael himself.

In addition, stop relying on so many producers and writers! Aside MJ, 10 producers and 31 writers!!! (I'm including those who wrote Biggie's rap). No wonder it feels like the least MJ of all his albums! Funny how Speechless, one of the greatest tracks on Invincible by far, was produced and written entirely by Michael himself.

Michael actually said something about "Walk Right Now" in Moonwalk that I think also applies to Invincible.

"Too many cooks in the kitchen".

I wish the whole album was just made up of songs like "Butterflies".

Hadn't heard that jazzy side of Michael since "I Can't Help it" and oh, it's a delight.

Last edited:
Of the 16 songs, IMO the best were Unbreakable, Break Of Dawn, Butterflies, Don't Walk Away, Whatever Happens and Threatened. Everything else is replaceable. 2000 Watts would be in the maybe pile with Speechless.....don't get me wrong.....Speechless is very beautiful....but I've always thought it was a little bit too short.

Back