1980's Michael jackson interview released.

MJLovesyoumore

Proud Member
Michael Jackson Talks Perfection, God in 'Blank on Blank' Interview

[video=youtube;YoCa3Po7M_8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoCa3Po7M_8[/video]

Michael Jackson Talks Perfection, God in 'Blank on Blank' Interview

From John and Yoko to Tupac, PBS Digital Studios' Blank on Blank series has taken music journalists' unheard audiotapes and fused them with clever animation. Now the series has unveiled yet another amazing interview: An intimate conversation with Michael Jackson from January 1980, years before Thriller and his ascension to the King of Pop. In the interview, Jackson – and, in a way, his sister Janet – discuss labeling music, perfectionism, meeting Quincy Jones and godliness while chatting with music historian John Pidgeon.

"I do deeply believe in perfection. I'm never satisfied," a young Jackson tells Pidgeon. "I'll cut a track or something, I'll come home and I say, 'No, that's not right, we got to do it over, it's not right.' And then go back and back and back. Then, when it's finally out, you say, 'Darn it, I should have done this.' It's Number One on the charts, you're still screaming about what you should have done." Jackson also speaks out at being labeled – at the time – as a disco artist, saying that all music is music, and genres are like trying to figure out if a beautiful birdcall is courtesy of a blue jay or a crow.

For the entire Jackson interview with Pidgeon, check out Rock's Back Pages.

I haven't posted the entire article by Rolling Stone. The article itself is slightly disrespectful (Shock horror!:eek:), so if you want read the rest, click below: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/v...ank-on-blank-interview-20140916#ixzz3DWMdCfSn

Last edited:
I ran across this video this morning on You Tube and really enjoyed it-but the Rolling Stone article that put it out is no where near as insulting as the "back story" on the actual site "Blank on Blank". First John Pidgeon, the music "historian" says something about Michael's hair, skin and nose-and then goes on to say all of this:

… "I was barely listening to Michael’s answers, which were consistently unilluminating. It quickly became clear that he had little understanding either of the history of black music or of his place in it. In almost every interview there are moments when things are said that allow you to put a tick against a list – there’s my opener, that’s the closing observation, more ticks for key points commented on between – but the second reel was already underway and, as yet, there had been none from Michael. Not a single killer quote. …

Aware that I couldn’t expect insights, I knew nonetheless that I had what I had come for: the voice of Michael Jackson on tape."

I found his comments quite odd, since Michael has always said that he wanted people to ask him about his music, rather than his personal life or trivial matters. And I'm quite sure he felt like that at 21-he had Janet there just to protect himself from too much intrusion. I don't know what to say or to think...I'm sorry I looked it up and ruined the happy little feeling I had from watching the video and listening to his voice.

Nothing weird about having your sister filter the questions from someone sitting in front of you... wow.

But, cool animation! I like when interviews like this or comedy bits get animated :D

Nothing weird about having your sister filter the questions from someone sitting in front of you... wow.

But, cool animation! I like when interviews like this or comedy bits get animated :D

Yeah, I enjoyed that animation too.

I LOVED THIS. I wish such cute animation was done for all of MJ's interviews lolol (that would be a lot of work! lol)

But I don't know, it gave a different quality to it, because MJ is such a visionary - and most of the time his explanations for things is quite visual in nature and it just helps to have that aid there to gain a deeper understanding. :) That was awesome.

Oh and these folks calling it strange and weird?.... :smilerolleyes: Someone kill that broken record PLEASE. There was literally nothing strange about it.

Also - Mr.Pigeon's (not a typo) interpretation of that interview was insane. Its only because MJ EXPLICITLY said that he was not into conforming to labels did this guy talk crap about this interview. He was obviously too involved in "getting what he wanted" to listen to the insights MJ was giving him about his creative process (in fact, he already admitted he wasn't listening. Durr.). But because MJ wasn't going on and on about labels and the album's place in disco music and black music and all that, the interview was "unilluminating." MJ was doing something rare - not being presumptuous and only speaking from his experience.

Ironically enough, if anyone's voice sounded boring and unilluminating in that audio, it was Mr. Pigeon's.

Last edited:
I LOVED THIS. I wish such cute animation was done for all of MJ's interviews lolol (that would be a lot of work! lol)

Also - Mr.Pigeon's (not a typo) interpretation of that interview was insane. Its only because MJ EXPLICITLY said that he was not into conforming to labels did this guy talk crap about this interview. He was obviously too involved in "getting what he wanted" to listen to the insights MJ was giving him about his creative process (in fact, he already admitted he wasn't listening. Durr.). But because MJ wasn't going on and on about labels and the album's place in disco music and black music and all that, the interview was "unilluminating." MJ was doing something rare - not being presumptuous and only speaking from his experience.
EXACTLY!!! That young and already people are misunderstanding him completely-it drives me absolutely crazy and guess it always will.

Oh, maybe we should send a note to the Estate to look at this video-this would be a great animator for the next Michael video release!!!!!

Oh, maybe we should send a note to the Estate to look at this video-this would be a great animator for the next Michael video release!!!!!

OMG YES! And hat would be an EXCELLENT way to put MJ "in" a video for any of these promotional efforts. That would be so cool.

I'm not sure why Pidgeon calls the interview unillumanting. MJ answered all his questions pretty thoroughly, so if Pidgeon is unsatisfied with the interview then maybe he should blame himself.

It quickly became clear that he had little understanding either of the history of black music or of his place in it.

I don't even know what Pidgeon means because there isn't any question pertaining to the history of black music or MJ's place in it, so how does he know MJ did not know its history and his place in it? Maybe he thought MJ should have given some political answer to the disco question? Like "disco is sidelined because its black music and the disco sucks movement is covertly racist"? Maybe he thought that's where MJ should have gone? Because I honestly do not have any other idea.

I'm constantly amazed at these white critics to whom only politics is inetersting enough to discuss - even from an artist.

We had a thread about this interview years ago. Anyone remember the plan Michael created showing the steps he wanted to take with his career? It was shown during that 60 minutes interview. In it he said he would not talk to the media, so this interview in which Janet asked him the questions, really makes sense to me.

We had a thread about this interview years ago. Anyone remember the plan Michael created showing the steps he wanted to take with his career? It was shown during that 60 minutes interview. In it he said he would not talk to the media, so this interview in which Janet asked him the questions, really makes sense to me.

Yes, that note was written in 1979 and I wonder if doing an interview this way was his attempt at the first step of that mysterious image he aimed at.

Michael Jackson recorded the song, "Ben" in one take.
That's AMAZING!!!!
:woohoo:

This is the kind of stuff that should be done for new music videos, not recycled old routines and footage.

Back