1977: MJ's stay in NYC during THE WIZ

madisonMAD

Proud Member
15i2adl.jpg

5p4f0p.jpg

n4a6h.jpg

142sggw.jpg

When MJ filmed "The Wiz" in New York, starting in the summer of 1977, he and his sister La Toya rented a 37th-floor apartment on Sutton Place.

keydrp.jpg

Great thread! I've got to find the pics I've saved from that period, especially the ones when he was partying at Studio 54 with Diana Ross and the Broadway cast of The Wiz. I remember hatin' on Stephanie Mills (who played Diana's role in the original stage show) big time because she was dating Mike at that time, LMFAO! :lmao:

Here's one of the cast and director Sidney Lumet during a rehearsal. . .

TheWizrehearsals77-1.jpg

Wiz premiere pics

Wizpremiere3-1.jpg

Wizpremiere2-1.jpg

Wizpremiere4-1.jpg

Another pic from that period. He's with Melba Moore in this pic, but I don't know if she was performing in the stage show or not.

MikeandMelbaMoore70s.jpg

With director Sidney Lumet and Lena Horne:

MichaelandLena.jpg

fy1y1h.jpg

2zje6vq.jpg

k4a78g.jpg

o552dk.jpg

Studio 54 NYC 06 26 1977, MJ Steven Tyler

986kg3.jpg

Some more old stuff showing the young sparkling MJ dancing his ass off through the night in Studio 54:

294p746.jpg

1zc1rbk.jpg

1s1vu8.jpg

wrdnj6.jpg

dz8ikz.jpg

142sggw.jpg

I'm not sure .. is it the apartment tower called Plaza 400,400 East 56th Street, between First Avenue & Sutton Place, where the siblings lived in 1977/78? Right? What do you think?

1zc1rbk.jpg

Movie scene The Wiz Luna Park Coney Island NYC

Little more information about this location ..*klick*

and other locations*klick* where The Wiz was filmed back in 1978

Some more pics of this photoshoot taken by Michael Putland in September 1976 in N.Y.

One of that pics was the cover of a magazine called 'The Village Voice'.

There's a cute little story I saved along with the pics:

About that Cover Photo...

Our cover this week has been provoking some strong reactions -- many have expressed how much it means to them to see Michael Jackson so vibrant and on top of the world in a shot that was taken in New York City more than 30 years ago. Jackson was 18 when the shot was taken in September 1976 on a balcony on the Upper East Side by music photographer Michael Putland.

We reached him by telephone in France, where the 62 year-old artist now lives, and asked him to tell us more about the circumstances of the remarkable image. Putland thinks Michael might have been in New York to promote his Off the Wall album, but that record didn't come out until 1979. Whatever brought him to town, Jackson was a tough subject, Putland says. He could hardly believe that someone who projected such a giant personality on stage could be so fragile and soft-spoken in person. "I felt almost sorry for him while taking the photos. I wanted to say, 'It's OK, Michael.'" Putland says his technique is to encourage subjects to let their personalities show, but with Jackson, that was a difficult task. "I was very surprised at how incredibly fragile he was," Putland says. "He was very fragile and he was very child-like." It was Jackson's request to wear the deerstalker. Putland remembers thinking that it was a silly hat, but he didn't have the heart to say no.

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runnin..._that_cove.php (link is dead now)

At the Wiz premiere party:

tumblr_n8pbbyhfLC1tbhadpo1_1280.jpg

I LOVE this picture:heart: such a handsome boy :girl_love:

The Wiz opening:

and premiere:

seemingly Michael and Diana Ross had lots of fun together

Great thread! I've got to find the pics I've saved from that period, especially the ones when he was partying at Studio 54 with Diana Ross and the Broadway cast of The Wiz. I remember hatin' on Stephanie Mills (who played Diana's role in the original stage show) big time because she was dating Mike at that time, LMFAO! :lmao:

Here's one of the cast and director Sidney Lumet during a rehearsal. . .

TheWizrehearsals77-1.jpg

That looks like Nipsey Russell....may he rest in peace.

It's official....Michael has always been fine. Period.

That looks like Nipsey Russell....may he rest in peace.

It's official....Michael has always been fine. Period.

Yep, that's Nipsey!

And YES, Mike has been f-i-n-e FINE from the jump! I LOVE this thread, this takes me back. . . thanks, everyone! :love::im_so_happy:

More cute Michael :D

At the Premiere after party:
gallery_17_23_27382.jpg

gallery_72_1786_961285.jpg

:girl_sigh:

At the Wiz press conference:
gallery_85_1041_47197.jpg

gallery_987_39591.jpg

gallery_2_1041_659036.jpg

gallery_2_1041_421841.jpg

Dancin' and having fun at the Wiz party at studio 54:
gallery_9368_1861_24947.jpg

gallery_2_1861_36405.jpg

gallery_2_1835_198771.jpg

gallery_72_1861_435426.jpg

so cute!!:wub:

I love the fact he had a life-size Diana in her underwear. :D
haha omg true! Why did you put that up Michael? :shifty: 'Oh, no reason':girl_whistle:

What an absolutely beautiful man! :wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

I wanna add some more

1977/September/28 'The Wiz' Press Conference

Michael Jackson with Berry Gordy Jr. and Berry Gordy Sr. on his 88th birthday at Windows on the World party, following the NYC premiere of The Wiz.

Some more pics of this photoshoot taken by Michael Putland in September 1976 in N.Y.

One of that pics was the cover of a magazine called 'The Village Voice'.

There's a cute little story I saved along with the pics:

About that Cover Photo...

Our cover this week has been provoking some strong reactions -- many have expressed how much it means to them to see Michael Jackson so vibrant and on top of the world in a shot that was taken in New York City more than 30 years ago. Jackson was 18 when the shot was taken in September 1976 on a balcony on the Upper East Side by music photographer Michael Putland.

We reached him by telephone in France, where the 62 year-old artist now lives, and asked him to tell us more about the circumstances of the remarkable image. Putland thinks Michael might have been in New York to promote his Off the Wall album, but that record didn't come out until 1979. Whatever brought him to town, Jackson was a tough subject, Putland says. He could hardly believe that someone who projected such a giant personality on stage could be so fragile and soft-spoken in person. "I felt almost sorry for him while taking the photos. I wanted to say, 'It's OK, Michael.'" Putland says his technique is to encourage subjects to let their personalities show, but with Jackson, that was a difficult task. "I was very surprised at how incredibly fragile he was," Putland says. "He was very fragile and he was very child-like." It was Jackson's request to wear the deerstalker. Putland remembers thinking that it was a silly hat, but he didn't have the heart to say no.

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runnin..._that_cove.php (link is dead now)

I love the hat!

I think this was the same stage show cast member that was falling out of her costume (in a pic posted earlier in the thread), lol! She couldn't help herself. . .I'd drape myself all over him too. :girl_whistle:

WizstagecastalluponMikelol_zps5ae7b202.jpg

Red carpet:

WizpremiereMikeontheredcarpet_zps32ed5951.jpg

(fangirling over his smile, his 'fro, his HANDSOMENESS)

WizpromoandMikebw_zpse02b9ad7.jpg

On the balcony (Tom Heller shoot)

TomHellerShoot2_zps98b1c5c2.jpg

More Tom Heller shoot

TomKellershoot77_zps305ecd2a.jpg

Yep, that's Nipsey!

And YES, Mike has been f-i-n-e FINE from the jump! I LOVE this thread, this takes me back. . . thanks, everyone! :love::im_so_happy:

Yasss Mike has been fine since day one. I admire the year 1977 because I was born in this year and Michael was just starting to get in to his own thang..

:D

MICHAEL JACKSON INTERVIEW ON SOUL TRAIN ABOUT 'THE WIZ'
he's so shy and embarrassed in the beginning :)

Oh how I wish there were footage of him dancing at Studio 54!! He looks like he was cutting a rug!!

Yasss Mike has been fine since day one. I admire the year 1977 because I was born in this year and Michael was just starting to get in to his own thang..

:baby: One of my nephews was born that year too! His mom was my older sister that took me to see The Wiz the first night it opened (I was so excited).He's a Mike fan to this day and is passing the LOVE on to his 2 daughters. I babysat him a lot, so he got hear Mike all of the time (thanks to me) :lmao:

Here's Mike enjoying some cake in between partying. . . :D

Cakelicious_zps38a9ebaf.jpg

those pictures are magic, it was before off the wall and the following insane superstardom. who knew how he would shake the entire world with his talent...

Thx and many:kissing4: and :hug: for all of you who brought pics and video stuff whit you.
I like this MJ / Don Cornelius IV very much ... MJ's soooo cute :bow: and so proud.
Love it when he says 'razzmatazz' ... never heard before :)

Back