"Weird Al Yankovic" - Love Him or Hate Him?

JEMFTV

Proud Member
I always knew him, and was aware of his parody videos and the fact that Michael gave his permission for them. But i re-watched his parody "Fat" and also watched for the first time the music video for "Eat It", and i gotta say, he's really funny and his videos are well done and developed. So, what do you guys think of him? Love him or Hate Him?

Here's "Eat It":
http://youtu.be/ZcJjMnHoIBI

Here's "Fat":
http://youtu.be/AYe5agibvg8

I wouldn't exactly call myself a fan, but I enjoy a number of his tracks (probably my most favourite is White & Nerdy). I liked his parodies of Michael's songs and actually became aware of Fat before I became aware of Bad!

I remember the first time I heard Bad and was like OMG SO THIS IS WHAT FAT WAS PARODYING. I kept singing along but with Weird Al's lyrics :p

I prefer parodies which make fun of actual characteristics of a performer (in clever and witty ways not rude). I did not see that in Eat It and Fat to be honest, but it was OK and since he is a popular parodist I'm glad he did MJ (and that those became some of his most popular parodies). But personally I found his Smells Like Nirvana parody better because, like I said, it more made fun of the performer's actual characteristics - ie. in this case Nirvana's nihilism, the whole teenage angst thing associated with them and their fans etc.

I'm a big fan. Mostly because he's able to parody without being downright mean to the artist (which everyone else does). It shows respect but also a level of creativity. I died laughing at his latest album!

I love Weird Al, he's really respectful to Michael when it comes to parodied his songs with his permission unlike some artists used Michael for parody for dumb purposes without his knowledge are dumb. Weird Al is down right thumbs up.

I'm not a fan but I enjoy some of his songs. Weird Al is a proof comedians can be hilarious without any need to be assholes and I like the fact Al acknowledges his stardom and success because of Michael's permission. He actually planned to do a third parody, Black Or White but Michael didn't allow that one because his original message was important to him, I think Al has performed it live nonetheless.

^Yes it was "Snack All Night", it can be watched on YouTube.

Al's alright, but I haven't kept up with his schtick like a fan would. Other than the BAD and Beat It parodies, I like what he did with Coolio's song. :lol:

Love him. I think he's hilarious. I can't say I know all his songs, but I know quite a few of them, and I did see him in concert back in the early 2000s. He came out with the fat suit and everything lol.

Last edited:
I think Al kind of disrespected Michael with that one because he asked him not to do/record the song but he performed it live anyway.
I didn't realize (until today) that he even wrote it and performed it live. But I saw a recent interview with him, promoting the new album, where he did say that Michael asked him not to do it-and he said Michael really did him a favor-because he was kinda in a rut writing songs about food-and he recorded the parody of the Nirvana song instead-which gave him a hit and a little resurrection of his career at the time.

Oh, I'm glad he's back. I wasn't the kind of fan that bought his albums, but I thought Eat It and Fat were extremely clever-and well done too. And I love his "Word Crimes" version of "Blurred Lines"-SUPER CLEVER.

Weird Al is HILARIOUS. I bought a greatest/best of 2 disc CD for my husband, cause we're silly that way and I love White and Nerdy. I didn't know about Snack All Night until I read this thread. :laugh: I just love to laugh and well, Al makes me laugh.

I think he's very funny and extremely clever with his lyrics. There is a petition going around to have him as the half-time performer at the Superbowl. I hope that happens.

I like him. He's funny and respectful. Something which a lot of comedians fail to do

I wouldn't exactly call myself a fan, but I enjoy a number of his tracks (probably my most favourite is White & Nerdy). I liked his parodies of Michael's songs and actually became aware of Fat before I became aware of Bad!

I remember the first time I heard Bad and was like OMG SO THIS IS WHAT FAT WAS PARODYING. I kept singing along but with Weird Al's lyrics :p

Yes. This! :lol:

I Think He is Great Singer and Songwriter!?
My Favorite his Original Song is "You Don't Love Me Anymore"

I remember I used to listen to Weenie in a bottle, but I'm not a great fan of his. Yea, he's funny, but it's a kind of fun you get tired of pretty soon. Just my opinion though.

Back