Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' video going 3-D in 2015!

MoeJack

Proud Member
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...son-thriller-video-3-d-2015-article-1.1956242

Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' video going 3-D in 2015

21.jpg

Michael Jackson will soon be scaring fans from beyond the grave with the release of his iconic 14-minute 1983 film “Thriller” — in 3-D!

The video’s original director, John Landis, is helming the project now that a dispute with the singer’s estate has been put to rest.

The revamped short film/music video is expected out next year. There’s even discussion of its running in theaters, as well as on Blu-ray and promotional outlets yet to be decided.

“That lawsuit went on for so many years, (but) we settled and they paid me finally,” Landis said of the legal dispute. “And so, actually there is something happening with ‘Thriller.’ ”

Landis tells us: “It is going to reappear in a highly polished and three-dimensional way that is very exciting on the big screen.”

Pressed on what fans can expect to see, Landis showed his scary side.

“I cannot tell you any more,” he joked. “I might have to kill you.”

A source close to the Jackson family confirms that “John has been secretly working away on this for several months now.

“The iconic video has never been released on Blu-ray or seen in cinemas and 3-D, and that was always a vision Michael had. In fact, his ‘This Is It’ London show was meant to feature a segment which included a 3-D performance.”

We’re told there’s no end to where the “Thriller” concept can go from here.

“The estate has been looking at gaming ideas, too, and ‘Thriller’ fits into the genre,” says our insider. “It could a be a dance experience or a zombie-style,shoot-’ em-up-style movie. There are so many possibilities with this creative masterpiece.”

Official paperwork from the Jackson estate — run by lawyers John Branca and John McClain — revealed that they’re working on ventures including “multiple albums,” “Internet games” and “film, documentary and a Broadway play about Michael.”

The reported $500,000 budget for “Thriller” was more than 10 times the cost of the average video in 1983. Producers were able to justify Jackson’s risky vanity project thanks to the success of the “Thriller” album’s hit songs, which also included ““Billie Jean,” “Beat It” and “Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’.”

In 2009, the “Thriller” video was inducted into the National Film Registry by the Library Of Congress — the first music video to receive the honor, which recognizes works that are “culturally, historically or esthetically” significant.

Landis was honored last week at the Eyegore Awards at Universal Hollywood Theme Park in L.A. His horror movie résumé also includes “An American Werewolf in London” and “Twilight Zone: The Movie.”

That sounds great. Also it would be high time to release the Making of Thriller video on DVD/Blue-Ray already. It's only ever been released on VHS which is pretty surprising it's the most successful music video ever.

Oh, and a Ghosts (both 1993 and 1997 version) + Making of Ghosts release is timely as well. So a Thriller+Ghosts box set would be awesome!

Ooh, nice.
I hope the blu-ray/dvd has the original Making-Of doc as well.

Multiple albums?? would be brilliant to hear some more unreleased tracks and to get the leaked demo's disc finally released, i presume the film documentary will be the making of thriller! would love to see that in HD.. but this is so exciting, and i'm glad that they are now working on the original film negatives.. finally, Michael's most treasured work of art will be seen in the original way it was intended! i can't wait.. I hope Thriller get's a huge celebration box set.. and all that has been said by John Landis is true, i will buy EVERYTHING! Fingers crossed.. :wild:

Part of this article reads as though they have no first hand information from credible sources, except Landis direct quotes about his project. What would a family know about what Landis is doing, and those insider sources. They just included what we knew the estate was looking at from various comments they made in text, such as albums & games. There is nothing new there. Then the person had to take a dig like "vanity project." Why can't they just give a write up about Lanids & the 3D and leave it at that. Also, they could have written Michael's creative part in this as well to let the reader know that Michael had a significant role to play in how this project unfolded.

Anyway looking forward to Landis' 3D.

^ I just looked at the source and saw it's the New York Daily News, so yeah, that makes me sceptical now.

Yeah, better wait until we hear something from the estate than rely on NY Daily news:D
The fact that they use "source" and "close source for Jackson family confirms" says that something is not right with this.

If Thriller 3D was really coming, there wouldn't be need for "sources", even less for "source close to Jac fam" who have no say what is going to come out and what not.

Landis have been talking a long time about Thriller 3D, and most recent I could find was his interview when he called MJ grotesque:no:

"Official paperwork from the Jackson estate" means that NY daily News read the estate accounting and possible proposals what they might do.

This sounds great! They should release it and other short films in HD on Blu-Ray.

I wondered why this idea wasn't revisited, nice to see it's back

If this is true, *crossing fingers* I hope it's possible to make a good restoration on 3D. We know technology is constantly improving, I just wish such a masterpiece which is Thriller receives such quality treatment. We've seen movies that weren't meant to be done in 3D and once they restore them, they look awful.

If this is true, *crossing fingers* I hope it's possible to make a good restoration on 3D. We know technology is constantly improving, I just wish such a masterpiece which is Thriller receives such quality treatment. We've seen movies that weren't meant to be done in 3D and once they restore them, they look awful.

I just hope they don't overuse noise reduction.. i wanna see grain in the picture.. give's it depth & detail! high hopes for this if it is indeed happening.

A standalone Blu Ray for a 13 minute video? If this is true, I think it would be more than just the short film, new footage would be nice too.

Pretty sure Thriller has been seen in cinemas.

I like the idea though. Anything that pays more attention to preserving MJ's short films and getting them in the picture quality they deserve is more than worthwhile. Hopefully Thriller is just the first step in a project that will see all of the short films released on blu-ray.

Hopefully Thriller is just the first step in a project that will see all of the short films released on blu-ray.

I really really hope so! That's the one thing that's been bumming me out about the recent MJ releases. MJ's albums have been remastered since 2001 but his short films really need to be remastered as well. 2010's Vision was the perfect opportunity to do that. It will require some work for sure but I think it's very much worth it. It's always nice to have unreleased music or videos every once in a while but it all doesn't mean much if we don't at least have Michael's official canon of music and short films (and concerts) in pristine quality.

Remember The Time is my favorite short film of all time I think that one really needs some TLC and released in cinemas

It should include the original short film, the making of documentary with additional behind the scenes footage! i don't think the multiple albums and broadway are connected to this release.. but it would be nice to hear some unreleased tracks from those sessions.. Some studio footage would be great also..

nydailynews.com

A source close to the Jackson family

The above combination makes me nervous and question this story's authenticity. >.> And if it is legit, what's with this particular author publishing a positive MJ story? Trying to entice some people over to his side?

What would be awesome is to release Thriller and Ghosts as a double feature in theaters and then release both on blu-ray with the behind the scenes stuff and other bonus features. That's my wish anyway.

ChrisC;4046537 said:
Pretty sure Thriller has been seen in cinemas.

Yep, it has been:
"The A-list turned out for the premiere at the 500-seat historic Crest Theatre: Diana Ross, Warren Beatty, Prince, Eddie Murphy. “I’ve been to the Oscars, the BAFTAs, the Emmys, and the Golden Globes, and I had never seen anything like this,” remembers Landis. Ola Ray looked for Jackson before the lights went down and found him in the projection booth. He told her that she looked beautiful, but refused her entreaty to come sit in the audience. “This is your night,” he told her. “You go enjoy yourself.” Landis warmed up the audience with a new print of the Mickey Mouse cartoon “The Band Concert.” Then came “Thriller,” with its sound mix cranked up to top volume. Fourteen minutes later the crowd was on its feet, applauding and crying, “Encore! Encore!” Eddie Murphy shouted, “Show the goddamn thing again!” And they did." [Source; Page 5]

It was shown throughout the UK in Odeon cinemas back in 2008 prior to the release of Thriller 25 as well.

Ghost would be great to have on Blu-Ray too. - And the potential in using 3D seems even better in Ghost than in Thriller.

The more MJ releases the better! - And hopefully a LOT of bonus material, behind the scnes, rehearsals etc.

I want it all. :lol:

I just hope they don't overuse noise reduction.. i wanna see grain in the picture.. give's it depth & detail! high hopes for this if it is indeed happening.

I hope so, too.
But in order to make it 3D, they probably have to use extensive noise reduction, or the noise would be like a separate "popout" object. If they do the noise reduction, details will be lost and surfaces/faces will look a bit like wax. This happend for example on the Jurassic Park 3D conversion. It will look like this: http://www.blurayreviews.ch/reviews/screenshots/jurassic-park-3d/pix/jurassic-park-3d_24.jpg

But it's not that dramatic/noticable when in motion.
Just my two cents...

I'm with you guys, I think it's a great idea. Yeah, I'd have preferred the Estate releasing a 3D Ghosts instead as it's still one of Michael's short films which haven't received much attention from the public yet, but then again, Thriller is much more marketable and it's still damn iconic even though pretty much everyone has seen it. This will definitely be thrilling (no pun intended :D) to watch in 3D, and I'm also confident it will give us an all-new experience if the transformation has been done right.

And one thing's for sure, Michael would have loved this!

It was shown throughout the UK in Odeon cinemas back in 2008 prior to the release of Thriller 25 as well.
Lucky. I would love to see this at the theatre.

John Landis just can't resist getting his digs in, can he? That just put me off this idea right away. I think the Estate/Sony should sign a contract with all the multi-plexes and run the original "Thriller" between movies from late September through Halloween-a la Party City commercial. Hint, hint.

Last edited:
I guess Party City will use it this Halloween again.
They are already. I've seen it for at least a week. But it's a little different this year-or it's shortened. They don't have the baby dressed like a devil smiling to the Vincent Price laugh. That was a great ending.

Really good news but, everybody know Thriller, so it will be better to remastered a BWT or DWT on boxset with rehearsal in BluRay.
Imagine a concert in Bluray at cinemas. :angel:

Back