Discover Islam (all welcome!)

XgenDaNcEs

Proud Member
Hello! I wanted to make this thread on the religion of Islam. Here, Muslims and non Muslims can freely come together to talk about the religion, ask questions about the religion, compare the religion to other beliefs and so on. I would greatly appreciate it if everyone here is kind to each other and no one degrades anyone else's personal beliefs/ or claims their beliefs better than another. This thread is purely meant for as the title says... discovering Islam! :)

I think I'm the only muslim here on the forum :p Or are you muslim as well, XgenDances?

I currently live in Michigan, USA. Where im from i would rather keep private!

Aah, that's okay! I live in the Netherlands but I have Turkish roots. :)

My home state! :D I'm not Muslim, but I commend you for starting this thread. People need to step away from the Fox News interpretation of what your faith is and get it from someone that actually practices it.

You said it, girl!

I wanna spy on this thread. I have no specific questions really but I'm definitely interested in hearing more about it. So I'm bumping this up in support - yah! Lol

Aah, that's okay! I live in the Netherlands but I have Turkish roots. :)

You said it, girl!

:hiya: Shy about speaking my mind is not a problem for me, LMFAO! I lived in Southeastern Michigan for many years (born and raised in western Michigan) and have been lucky to have either grown up with or been around people of many different faiths, races, you name it and I have no problem with it. I think if people see each other as fellow human beings FIRST, the ignorance of bigotry in all of its ugly forms will fade away. Muslims don't scare me any more than Christians, Jews, atheists, whatever does, lol!

If you don't mind, I'd like the basics of Islam explained, since I don't know about the doctrine. Something like the Cliff Notes version, or something like "Islam For Dummies". :) Religion and philosophy fascinates me.

:hiya: Shy about speaking my mind is not a problem for me, LMFAO! I lived in Southeastern Michigan for many years (born and raised in western Michigan) and have been lucky to have either grown up with or been around people of many different faiths, races, you name it and I have no problem with it. I think if people see each other as fellow human beings FIRST, the ignorance of bigotry in all of its ugly forms will fade away. Muslims don't scare me any more than Christians, Jews, atheists, whatever does, lol!

If you don't mind, I'd like the basics of Islam explained, since I don't know about the doctrine. Something like the Cliff Notes version, or something like "Islam For Dummies". :) Religion and philosophy fascinates me.

Well i think the main things in the religion is how Muslims are supposed to pray 5 times a day so we remember God more often and avoid committing sinful acts. Also during the month of Ramadan, we must fast from sun rise to sun down so we know what it feels like to be hungry like a poor and homeless person feels, and be more appreciative of what we have and possibly want to give more charity. And unlike popular belief, the Quran actually looks down upon the idea of Islam being better than other religions, or being the only "true" religion. It teaches that all holy books are the word of the same, one true God and no Muslim is better than a non Muslim and vice versa. And if anyone were to ever treat someone unequally, Prophet Muhammad would speak out against them in Judgement day. Let me know if you want to know anything else, id love to answer any questions :)

Last edited:
Well i think the main things in the religion is how Muslims are supposed to pray 5 times a day so we remember God more often and avoid committing sinful acts. Also during the month of Ramadan, we must fast from sun rise to sun down so we know what it feels like to be hungry like a poor and homeless person feels, and be more appreciative of what we have and possibly want to give more charity. And unlike popular belief, the Quran actually looks down upon the idea of Islam being better than other religions, or being the only "true" religion. It teaches that all holy books are the word of the same, one true God and no Muslim is better than a non Muslim and vice versa. And if anyone were to ever treat someone unequally, Prophet Muhammad would speak out against them in Judgement day. Let me know if you want to know anything else, id love to answer any questions :)

Thank you for sharing that information. That isn't the case with Christianity (my religious background), lol! The inclusiveness of all holy books as God's word isn't practiced or accepted in Christianity (or Judaism, either). It should be.

To begin with I´m interested in facts about the Quran.
I´ve heard it consists of the Prophet Muhammads words but was it put together after his death?
If it was done after Prophet Mohammads death were there oral stories first which were written down later?

(I think about the bible it was written down long time after Jesus death and it includes only books from some of the disciples, making it unsure what Jesus really said)

MIST;4048875 said:
To begin with I´m interested in facts about the Quran.
I´ve heard it consists of the Prophet Muhammads words but was it put together after his death?
If it was done after Prophet Mohammads death were there oral stories first which were written down later?

(I think about the bible it was written down long time after Jesus death and it includes only books from some of the disciples, making it unsure what Jesus really said)

We believe that God had Angel Gabriel reveal the Quran to Prophet Muhammad during the month of Ramadan. And for the next couple decades, Prophet Muhammad had memorized section by section of it verbally (reading and writing was extremely rare during that specific time period in Mecca) and he had taught it to his closest companions who also slowly learned it verbally and some who knew how to write it down. Eventually, the entire Quran was preserved in physical form before the Prophet had died. And to answer your question about the Prophet's words being added to the Quran... NO! God had ordered all Muslims to preserve the Quran the way it was revealed to them. This is so people would not alter it to fit their own wants over time. A modern Quran sitting in a Mosque today would contain (only) the same exact verses that Muslims recited during the Prophet's time.

Last edited:
We believe that God had Angel Gabriel reveal the Quran to Prophet Muhammad during the month of Ramadan. And for the next couple decades, Prophet Muhammad had memorized section by section of it verbally (reading and writing was extremely rare during that specific time period in Mecca) and he had taught it to his closest companions who also slowly learned it verbally and some who knew how to write it down. Eventually, the entire Quran was preserved in physical form before the Prophet had died. And to answer your question about the Prophet's words being added to the Quran... NO! God had ordered all Muslims to preserve the Quran the way it was revealed to them. This is so people would not alter it to fit their own wants over time. A modern Quran sitting in a Mosque today would contain (only) the same exact verses that Muslims recited during the Prophet's time.

Thank you for sharing that, XgenDances. :) That isn't the case with the Christian bible, with its gazillion translations/interpretations/versions. There was a time when I literally used 10 bibles to study ranging from the King James version to the New World Translation (used by Jehovah's Witnesses). Then there's the talk of lost books, the Dead Sea Scrolls, the Book of Mormon and so on and so on.

Since that isn't an issue with Islam, why do you think your religion is so misunderstood?

How do Muslims relate to dance and music? Because I have read that Islam has restricts those very strongly. So if, for example, MJ had converted to Islam would he have been able to continue to dance like he used to?

I hope no one takes offense-I just want to understand true Islam better. There is a post in the atheist thread where there are rules that I understand through some research are the "Verses of Violence" and it struck me that maybe these are taken out of context, much like the Leviticus teachings in the Bible are totally taken out of context and only used by Christian "extremists."

Is that correct, or what do they mean-as I've always been told and heard that Islam is a religion of peace. I've had many people in the US tell me that I am wrong-and I would like to be able to argue better.

This is what i know about Islam no offense.:angel:

- Allah means God in Arab
- The founder is a man (prophet)
- Is one of youngest religions compared to others
- Have some Judaism stuff even some books and persons of the Bible are in the Quran
-Not all Muslim can read the Quran
- They have to repeat a phrase 8?(x) times a day and pray towards Mecca the birthplace of that Prophet
- They don eat pork most of them dont know why (is in the Bible leviticus book)

This is what i know about Islam no offense.:angel:

- The founder is a man (prophet)
- Is one of youngest religions compared to others
- They don eat pork most of them dont know why (is in the Bible leviticus book)

Unlike Judaism and Christianity, where the founder would be the followers of Moses and Jesus respectively, in Islam, God authorizes Islam as the religion for the believers and only Islam is what he'll accept. Islam means, the peaceful submission to the will of God. In another words, God founded/authorized Islam. Christianity and Judaism were founded/authorized by the followers of Jesus and Moses respectively.

"Indeed, the religion in the sight of Allah is Islam" (TMQ 3:19)

Islam, would be the completion of revelation from God, with Muhammad pbuh, being the final messenger or prophet.

Yes, Muslims don't eat pork as it was proscribed in The Torah. Simply, Jesus and Moses (a.s) never ate pork, so the believers don't either.

Last edited:
I wanna spy on this thread. I have no specific questions really but I'm definitely interested in hearing more about it. So I'm bumping this up in support - yah! Lol

I'm sure you have many questions to ask lol, please do !

I thank God that there are more than one interpretation of Islam!

I thank God that there are more than one interpretation of Islam!

Well there are different school of thoughts within Islam, but as far as sects, Sunni (orthodox) Muslims account for 95 % of all Muslims. The other 5 % are Shiites, and they are basically like the Catholics of Islam.

How do Muslims believe the first human was created? I have heard three versions: from clay, water or blood. Which one is correct?

LindavG;4119419 said:
How do Muslims believe the first human was created? I have heard three versions: from clay, water or blood. Which one is correct?

Same as told in the Old Testament.

“And (remember) when your Lord said to the angels: ‘I am going to create a human (Adam) from sounding clay of altered black smooth mud. So when I have fashioned him and breathed into him (his) soul created by Me, then you fall down prostrate to him.
” (Quran 38:71-72)

I have a couple if Muslim friends, including MJ fans :)

Five years ago, I came across a "halal" version of Heal the World. It is sung a capella, perhaps with drums as well, dunno right now.

I have a couple if Muslim friends, including MJ fans :)

Five years ago, I came across a "halal" version of Heal the World. It is sung a capella, perhaps with drums as well, dunno right now.

What do you mean by a 'halal' version of HTW? Lmaoo

^ I think you tossed people for a loop because Halal is generally used as a food term. as in Lawful food!

Nice thread, I cannot say I am Muslim but I have an Islamic background.

^ I think you tossed people for a loop because Halal is generally used as a food term. as in Lawful food!

Nice thread, I cannot say I am Muslim but I have an Islamic background.

Aha, I've been hanging out with Muslims so often that I sometimes forget there are folks out there that don't know Islamic terminology! I meant halal as lawful, as you said, but not just for food, but also for anything else... Halal dating, halal music, etc.

Needless to say that when it comes to music, Muslims have different points of view... There are people that don't listen to music at all, then there are those that only listen to music made by voices or percussions, then there are those that just avoid certain topics...

^ Ho0pman31 who you confused is Muslim!!

Not many people use that term outside of food term, though it CAN - it is definitely not common.. I got what you were saying though.

It' like saying "this movie is delicious"... usually 'delicious' is meant for food but really means 'very pleasing'... lol

Back