Chicago vs Hollywood

If you had to choose one?

Hollywood Tonight! Not too big on the new version of Chicago (Original version is alright). In regards to Hollywood, that song never fails to get me grooving. I would love to see how it would turn out if Michael was alive to release it :)

Hollywood.

It is written by Michael and I love this type of his songs. In my opinion Hollywood is one of his best songs ever along with Billie Jean, Who Is It and Stranger in Moscow. Too bad he didn't have the chance to finish it, but from the demo you can see where the song was going. Even from Teddy's mix, Neff-U mix and Throwback mix that are not great you can still hear and feel the greatness of the song.

Chicago is wonderful too. It has MJ's complete professionally recorded vocals and that's why it rocks. Too bad he didn't finish the music or just worked a little bit more on it. Timbaland's version is amazing, production is great.. but judging just the song as song, it's not the same class as Hollywood.

Hollywood for sure, it was worked on by Michael for 10 years or so.. he put love into this song. I just wish he had been able to complete, whilst in London!

I do think Chicago has the better vocals though!!!

I'd pick Chicago maybe because it's sounds fresher / newer but give it 5 years and we'll see which songs stands the test of time...

Hollywood for sure, it was worked on by Michael for 10 years or so.. he put love into this song. I just wish he had been able to complete, whilst in London!

Yeah! Sometimes I like to daydream about MJ suddenly performing an unreleased song during a random show for This Is It... then releasing it the next day to a grand reception ^_^

I do think Chicago has the better vocals though!!!

Of course. Demo vocals recorded in a hotel room vs Studio vocals professionally recorded in The Hit Factory recording studio.

I always saw Hollywood Tonight as being the next Michael Jackson sized smash single from him. Just something about it, always been my favourite from the Michael album. Has to be Hollywood, although Chicago (Timbaland) is insane.

They should have released the 2008 Mix by Neff-U, paired with a more refined short film.. i just prefer the rhythm! and the harmonic tones from Michael during the bridge is flawless.. i assume he had a short film in mind, as the final mix also features the sound of a bus at the end.

They should have released the 2008 Mix by Neff-U, paired with a more refined short film.. i just prefer the rhythm! and the harmonic tones from Michael during the bridge is flawless.. i assume he had a short film in mind, as the final mix also features the sound of a bus at the end.

2008 Mix by Neff-U is the leaked demo. That wouldn't make any sense. Maybe 2010 Mix by Neff-U.

Be interesting to see what Timbo could do with Hollywood?

Tbh, Hollywood doesn't do that much for me. Its funky and all, but the last version Michael worked on lacks a lot and Teddys version is just awful.
Personally I prefer She Was Loving Me. Not the Timberlame version though, that blows. The original is ok but goes no where. But the rock version, now that is my vibe. Clean it up, mix it a little better, improve the drums and maybe tweek the solo a little and its perfect

Hollywood Tonight, i'm always humming the bass line of it while listening to it. lol

Chiccago of course... Do I really need to explain why?

We all do. Like I said: Demo vocals recorded in a hotel room vs Studio vocals professionally recorded in The Hit Factory recording studio.

Indeed. Another interesting comparison would be Chicago vs Another Day.

Now I'm only asking about which song has you think has the better vocal performance. Both songs has a similar song structure, low and calm on the verses then volatile on the chorus. Both was recorded during the same time period. What song would it be?

Now I'm only asking about which song has you think has the better vocal performance. Both songs has a similar song structure, low and calm on the verses then volatile on the chorus. Both was recorded during the same time period. What song would it be?

That is a good question. And it's very hard to answer. Like you said, same year (1999), similar song structure, similar vocal style.. But both have perfect vocals, clear, strong, powerful.. just amazing vocal performances. And I love both songs so it's really hard to pick one. I was amazed with Chicago vocals when I first heard it just like I was with Another Day vocals when that snippet leaked in 2010. But since Chicago is fresher and I listen to it more often these days I'll say Chicago.

Chicago definitely has that swagger and attitude to the vocals!!!

Be interesting to see what Timbo could do with Hollywood?

Worst. Idea. EVER.

Oh that is a tough one. Until I have heard the full demo of Another Day its hard to say. Still She Was Loving Me (I refuse to call it by the wrong name a talentless waste decided to give it)

I refuse to call it by the wrong name a talentless waste decided to give it)

Your hate towards Timbaland is completely misguided and unnecessary. Also you are being very insulting towards the man without any valid reason except your own frustration.

Also where is your evidence that Timbaland changed the name of the song?? Please show it to me, give me the link for that. I don't see how can a producer change the name of a song he didn't write. If anyone changed the song's name it is LA Reid, not Timbaland. LA was in charge of everything, not Timbaland.

I think you are right OnirMJ regarding the title's name. Still I feel Timbaland did a mediocre job on these. Really. Too many bonds than innovative stuff....

I think you are right OnirMJ regarding the title's name. Still I feel Timbaland did a mediocre job on these. Really. Too many bonds than innovative stuff....

Everyone have their own taste in music and their likes and dislikes. In my opinion it is brilliant and the best song on the album. But I respect everyone's opinion if they are not rude and insulting.

I also love the job Lenny did on Another Day and many other fans don't. That's why music is so subjective and personal. I love Teddy's Hollywood Tonight (minus horrible unnecessary spoken bridge), many fans don't...

Everyone have their own taste in music and their likes and dislikes. In my opinion it is brilliant and the best song on the album. But I respect everyone's opinion if they are not rude and insulting.

I also love the job Lenny did on Another Day and many other fans don't. That's why music is so subjective and personal. I love Teddy's Hollywood Tonight (minus horrible unnecessary spoken bridge), many fans don't...

Yeah, don't get me wrong on here. I think it's one of the better ones. I'm honest. But still, I feel it could've been way better. I'm not talking about that "quacking" sound either. I can comfortably live with it.
It's the overall musical composition. It lacks on depth, extraordinary layering, a composition where you could explore things even after the 100th listening. Things you got used to. But, yeah, he ain't no more among us, I see it's not possible. But I'm having a hard time accepting that those songs should be the new MJ songs. I'd take the demos over the contemporized versions anytime. Not because they are better but they are genuine. I don't care for chart positions anymore, I want MJ, pure and simple. Chart positions are pretty much irrelevant to me.

I surely see the torn part of the estate, delivering stuff for earning money through the mainstream and satisfying the (hardcore) fan base. Still my arguments remain the same.

Chicago all the way. It has a less "obvious" melody than Hollywood tonight to me. Plus the story line is so "oh snap!"

Back