The 80 Greatest Moments In The Last 89 Years-Michael Jackson Listed

SarahJ

Proud Member
Michael is #49. I love how they mention "the influence of his life and music".
www.britishcouncil.org/80moments/

From the British Councils website:

"We asked a panel of 25 eminent scientists, technologists, academics, artists, writers, broadcasters and world leaders to choose their most significant moments of the last 80 years. We then asked 10,000 people around the world to vote to rank the final list."

"49 The influence of the life and music of the American singer Michael Jackson, 1958-2009"

That is a very impressive list. I briefly perused it but I didn't see any other musical artists, which was a bit surprising to me (I would have expected at least the Beatles to be there). The fact that MJ was mentioned says a lot :)

No he was the only one.

His legacy is moving ahead and the press are being left behind. Again love how the influence of his life is mentioned and not just an album or dance move.

That is a very impressive list. I briefly perused it but I didn't see any other musical artists, which was a bit surprising to me (I would have expected at least the Beatles to be there). The fact that MJ was mentioned says a lot :)
I did the same thing-looking for the Beatles. Especially being a UK list.
But quite amazing for his legacy to be up there with the things listed. Really impressive.

The Beatles may be the media darlings, the perfect and untouchable ones but when it comes to impressive achievements such as braking the racial, geographical and cultural barriers, Michael championed them, they don't come close. He changed the music forever in every aspect he got involved. And no other one used the fame and fortune to help millions in need the way Michael did. His life and artistry are an impressive adventure and such an invaluable treasure to humankindp.

Last edited:
It is great to see Michael listed (and being recognised) above Ibsen, Beckett, Warhol and Picasso, who were all titans in their own artistic fields.
I'm sure Michael would also appreciate being placed in the same list as Einstein and Disney, two of his 'heroes'.

(There is one other musical entry; the song 'We shall overcome' by Pete Seeger, at No 72).

I wonder who the panel of 25 were, and who nominated Michael? A big 'Thank you' to whoever it was!

'We asked a panel of 25 eminent scientists, technologists, academics, artists, writers, broadcasters and world leaders to choose their most significant moments of the past 80 years. We then asked 10,000 people around the world to vote to rank the final list.'
- See more at: http://www.britishcouncil.org/80moments/#sthash.xuGT7dKl.dpuf

Last edited:
Really impressive, especially cosidering that no other pop or rock musician, not even Elvis or the Beatles, made it to the list.

by the way

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smith...nificant-americans-all-time-180953341/?no-ist

Meet the 100 Most Significant Americans of All Time
A new, special issue of Smithsonian magazine attempts the impossible: to list out the most significant people in United States history

Pop icons

Mark Twain
Elvis Presley
Madonna
Bob Dylan
Michael Jackson
Charlie Chaplin
Jimi Hendrix
Marilyn Monroe
Frank Sinatra
Louis Armstrong
Mary Pickford

The 100 most significant Americans of all time? :bored2:

Not only because he was born in London, but also because he left the US in later life. (Wiki says that he was 'forced to leave the USA due to suspected communist sympathies'.)

His re-entry visa was revoked for the United States. He never returned other than to accept his honourary Oscar in the latter days of his life.

He was British lol

I'm actually really surprised that The Beatles aren't up there (I think they should be - their influence on music is absolutely insane. Also Beatlemania - the only artist to achieve that hype since them has been Michael. Artistically and culturally, one of the very, very few artists I'd compare to Michael).

In saying that, I'm glad MJ's up there of course. It's nice to finally see him get the respect he bloody well deserves :)

^ I checked it out and the British Council deals with International cultural relations, so maybe British acts weren't even eligible for this poll.

respect77;4062242 said:
^ I checked it out and the British Council deals with International cultural relations, so maybe British acts weren't even eligible for this poll.

Oh ok! Then again the very first sentence says "Originally called the ‘British Committee for Relations with Other Countries’" so I think you're right :)

Back