Chicago (2014) or She Was Lovin' Me (2010) or She Was Lovin' Me (1999)?

Which version of 'Chicago' do you like the most?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dan

Proud Member
Chicago was originally called 'She Was Lovin' Me' and was intended for the 'Invincible' album (2001) but didn't make the cut. The song was then re-worked for the 'Michael' album (2010) but again, didn't make the cut. The song was later re-re-reworked and renamed 'Chicago' for the 'Xscape' album (2014). It was originally supposed to be the 1st single of the album but plans changed and 'Love Never Felt So Good' became the 1st single. The song was released, May 5 2014.
WHICH VERSION DO YOU LIKE THE MOST?
  • She Was Lovin' Me (1999) [Original demo]
  • She Was Lovin' Me (2010) [Re-worked demo]
  • Chicago (2014) [Final CD version]

Last edited:
Personally i prefer the original demo, it's just a shame they used a mono source!

I love demo. I really love the mysterious feel to it, it adds a lot to the song (classic Mike) I just wish we had a better source

The demo has potential but as a whole is extremely underwhelming. Timbaland's version is hands down the best; Michael's vocals fit perfectly.

It was originally supposed to be the 1st single of the album but plans changed and 'Love Never Felt So Good' became the 1st single.

Was it? Do you have a source, did someone say this in an interview or something?

Such a shame it did not get a single release. :(

Still hope for a 3rd single - and Chicago would be perfect, but it sure seems like Xscape promotion is dead.

Original demo. Tarryl is close but Timbaland produced all I can describe as noise

The original sounds like a successor to Liberian Girl. In love with the mystic ambiance going on. Def The original for me

It was originally supposed to be the 1st single of the album but plans changed and 'Love Never Felt So Good' became the 1st single. The song was released, May 5 2014.

No it wasn't. Producer Timbaland said that he WANTED Chicago to be the first single.

Original demo. Tarryl is close but Timbaland produced all I can describe as noise

It's actually Cory Rooney and Tarryl, not just Tarryl. Don't know why the first leak said "produced by Tarryl Jackson" and really don't know why fans picked up that partly wrong info.

It's actually Cory Rooney and Tarryl, not just Tarryl. Don't know why the first leak said "produced by Tarryl Jackson" and really don't know why fans picked up that partly wrong info.

Cheers for that, when it leaked all I saw was Tarryl's name attached. Never knew Corey had anything to do with it.

innuendo141;4063672 said:
Cheers for that, when it leaked all I saw was Tarryl's name attached. Never knew Corey had anything to do with it.

Yeah, he produced it for MICHAEL album with some assistance by Tarryl Jackson. He spoke about the song and even played that version to D.S. sometimes in 2013.

From D.S. article:

"Rooney, with the help of Michael’s nephew, Taryll Jackson, brought the track’s music to completion following his death, transforming it from a tranquil “Liberian Girl”-esque R&B song into a hard-hitting rock anthem."

Also Cory spoke about it publicly on his twitter profile.

I like that Corey/Taryll version a lot. Is that the 2010 version. That song cries out for more of a Rock sound in the choruses.

The demo but it's such a shame the mixing didn't do any justice to Michael wonderful performance but his vocals are more enjoyable than Timbaland's version, I can't stand the drums and those effing ducks.

2014 version is by far the best one. the demo was messed up with that weird mono sound.

The original version would be amazing in stereo. To be honest I'd place the original version very very high on my favourite MJ songs list. The mood, the sounds, the voice, the anger, the pain. Flawless (other than the flawed mono-ness!)

Definitely the original. It just has that Michael essence. I think the final version just doesn't have that raw Michael feel. I love Timbaland, but I wasn't a fan of the modernized version. Too mainstream.

Best: 2010 > 1999 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 2014 :Worst

In my opinion, the original is the best version. It showcases the emotion in Michael's vocals and its sound has an intriguing "feel" to it that complements the lyrics. Sometimes less is more, and I like how Michael's voice isn't overshadowed by too much going on in the background music. This makes the song even more powerful, convincing, and memorable. Very classic Michael indeed.

For me it's:

1. Chicago (2014 album version) - the best by far, one of the best MJ songs, classic
2. Chicago (1999 original version) - very good, actually amazing, but too unfinished, production is in its very early stages
3. She Was Loving Me (2010 leaked version) - not a fan of it, it has nice moments from the original, but I'm not a fan of that rock feel, it just doesn't fit for me

The original demo is top for me, then the 2010 remix, and finally the timbaland remix.

the 2010 version (rock) is the best by far...

I prefer the 2014 version.

Too many cheap sounding midi instruments on the demo. That kind of thing turns me right off.... seriously, the instrumental sounds like something a college kid with access to ProTools for the first time would come up with. Very amateur and completely beneath MJ's standards.

Timbaland's version brings the song to life. It's by far his best production job on Xscape and almost makes up for his God-awful butchering of Blue Gangster.

Back