Billboard is having their own song battle-LNFSG just advanced to the next round!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

barbee0715

Proud Member
Billboard.com is having their own Best Song Battle of 2014 and Love Never Felt So Good just advanced to the next round over Coldplay's song!!!

http://www.billboard.com/articles/b...06051/best-song-bracket-battle-2014-main-page

Which 2014 smash is the critics' pick for pop song of the year? We made 64 hits battle it out, March Madness-style, to determine a winner!

Welcome to BEST SONG BRACKET BATTLE 2014, Billboard.com's weeklong bracket-style tournament in which 64 of the year's biggest songs are placed against each other in head-to-head battles until one song emerges victorious! Each match-up is determined by the individual votes of a collection of music writers and critics, who have sounded off and helped us determine the collective choice for the strongest pop song of the year.

See the full bracket of songs below, and click on the individual match-ups to read the critics' thoughts and see who won each match-up! We also have an explanation of the rules and an introduction to this year's group of writers. We'll be rolling out one round per day starting with Round 1 on December 15. Click around and enjoy!

Best Song Bracket Battle: View the Matchups | Critics and Rules

Enlarge the Bracket

ROUND 1

Counting Stars
One Republic
VS
Hey Brother
Avicii
Timber
Pitbull feat. Kesha
VS
The Man
Aloe Blacc
Dark Horse
Katy Perry feat. Juicy J
VS
Let It Go
Idina Menzel
Can’t Remember To Forget You
Shakira feat. Rihanna
VS
#SELFIE
The Chainsmokers
Drunk In Love
Beyonce feat. Jay Z
VS
Show Me
Kid Ink feat. Chris Brown
Talk Dirty
Jason Derulo feat. 2 Chainz
VS
We Might Be Dead By Tomorrow
Soko
Let Her Go
Passenger
VS
Team
Lorde
Happy
Pharrell Williams
VS
Pompeii
Bastille
Best Day of My Life
American Authors
VS
Wiggle
Jason Derulo feat. Snoop Dogg
Play It Again
Luke Bryan
VS
Turn Down For What
DJ Snake & Lil Jon
Not a Bad Thing
Justin Timberlake
VS
This Is How We Roll
Florida Georgia Line feat. Luke Bryan
Loyal
Chris Brown
VS
Problem
Ariana Grande feat. Iggy Azalea
All Of Me
John Legend
VS
Sing
Ed Sheeran
Me and My Broken Heart
Rixton
VS
Fancy
Iggy Azalea feat. Charli XCX
Ain’t It Fun
Paramore
VS
Magic
Coldplay
A Sky Full of Stars
Coldplay
VS
Love Never Felt So Good
Michael Jackson feat. Justin Timberlake
Am I Wrong
Nico & Vinz
VS
Shake It Off
Taylor Swift
Amnesia
5 Seconds of Summer
VS
Break Free
Ariana Grande feat. Zedd
Classic
MKTO
VS
Bailando
Enrique Iglesias feat. Descemer Bueno & Gente de Zona
Summer
Calvin Harris
VS
Chandelier
Sia
Dirt
Florida Georgia Line
VS
Stay With Me
Sam Smith
Rude
MAGIC!
VS
Maps
Maroon 5
Love Runs Out
OneRepublic
VS
Latch
Disclosure feat. Sam Smith
Shower
Becky G
VS
Burnin' It Down
Jason Aldean
Anaconda
Nicki Minaj
VS
I’m Not The Only One
Sam Smith
All About That Bass
Meghan Trainor
VS
Don't
Ed Sheeran
Bang Bang
Jessie J, Ariana Grande & Nicki Minaj
VS
Animals
Maroon 5
Boom Clap
Charli XCX
VS
Trumpets
Jason Derulo
Rather Be
Clean Bandit feat. Jess Glynne
VS
Take Me To Church
Hozier
Black Widow
Iggy Azalea feat. Rita Ora
VS
Hot Boy
Bobby Shmurda
Steal My Girl
One Direction
VS
Habits (Stay High)
Tove Lo
Don't Tell 'Em
Jeremih feat. YG
VS
Cool Kids
Echosmith

Best Song Bracket Battle: View the Matchups | Critics and Rules

MAURA JOHNSTON: It's not quite "Rock With You," and the addition of Timberlake feels like a superfluous attempt to be down with the "kids" (who aren't kids at this point). But MJ's vocal performances still pop out of a speaker like few of his peers.
My Vote: "Love Never Felt So Good"

WILLIAM GRUGER: While Coldplay really managed to set the tone of their newest album with this single, Justin Timberlake helped Michael Jackson have a moment in 2014, five years after his passing. Bonus points because Michael Jackson sounds pretty good as a sampled beat boxer.

DENISE WARNER: The combination of Jackson and Timberlake’s vocals might have beaten Coldplay at their Coldplay-iest , but fake duets between one live and one dead singer are so 1991. Advantage, the former Mr. Paltrow.
"A Sky Full of Stars"

JOE LYNCH: As crassly commercial as it is to pair a contemporary pop star with a deceased legend, "Love Never Felt So Good" sounded so good as a demo that this rejiggered Timberlake version still satisfies. Coldplay's Avicii collabo is inoffensive, but B-level Michael Jackson beats Coldplay's EDM crossover.

ALEX GALE: After the serene beauty of “Magic,” “A Sky Is Full of Stars” is like being yelled at by a drunk person at an Avicii gig (partly because Avicii produced it.) The lyrics — “You’re a sky full of stars, ‘cause you light up the dark” — may have come from an online Coldplay Song Generator. “Love Never Felt So Good,” on the other hand, could be mixed into a DJ set of MJ classics and no one dancing would mind much (except for when Justin gets ad-lib-y on the bridge). That’s really, really high praise.
My Vote: “Love Never Felt So Good”

OVERALL WINNER:
"Love Never Felt So Good"

Best Song Bracket Battle: View the Matchups | Critics and RulesThis is what they said about Coldplay vs. Michael/Justin:

That's great! Would be interesting to see how far LNFSG makes it. I know I'm biased, but looking at most of these songs, it should make it to the last round. lol

Today was Round 2. "Love Never Felt So Good" beat out "Ain't it Fun" by Paramore and advances to the third day! Hooray. I didn't post all the contenders for the day, but just posted the results, because it's fun to read what these people say about LNFSG.

JAMIESON COX: Argh, this is a tough one. “Ain’t It Fun” is exactly that, fun — so vital, sung to within an inch of its life by the indomitable Hayley Williams, and surprising even months after its release. It’s songs like this that make Paramore perhaps the most exciting rock band working today. But “Love Never Felt So Good” is vintage Michael, airy and frothy and gliding onto disco heaven, and JT comes at the song with a reverence and genuine appreciation that keeps a dish three decades old from being spoiled. I hear this song and it takes me back to a summer spent throwing discs in the park and sitting out on patios with cold beer in hand, basking in the dying light, and it’s really hard to deny that comfort and warmth.

ERIKA RAMIREZ: Michael Jackson’s collaboration with Justin Timberlake was the highlight of his recent posthumous album, “Xscape.” Since it’s hard for me to love the entire effort, I’ll support “Love Never Felt So Good” for as long as I can.

NICK WILLIAMS: I gotta go with “Ain’t It Fun” because, despite the loss of two members, they earned their biggest hit to date, which is an impressive feat given their longevity and current radio trends. Slow and steady wins the race!
My Vote: "Ain’t It Fun"

JEM ASWAD: The Paramore song is affable but honestly forgettable, almost John Legend-like in that I just listened to the entire song twice and can’t remember anything about it except the xylophone hook. Thus, it’s an unfair matchup against the best song Michael Jackson released since well before his untimely death, a “Rock With You” redux with a too-perfect foil and his most obvious successor, JT, putting in an arguably too-reverent performance. Still, unlike many posthumous performances, they got this one right.

ERNEST BAKER: "Love Never Felt So Good" was a capitalist ploy to cash in on Michael Jackson's legacy, but given that it was recorded in 1983, when MJ was God, the song has its merits. However, it was never released for a reason. "Ain't It Fun" is a far superior-sounding record, and I never envisioned myself saying Paramore did anything better than Michael Jackson, but here we are.
My Vote: “Ain't It Fun”

KRISTEN YOONSOO KIM: This one was hard, because both of these tracks are some of the best feel-good songs of the year. But I can’t deny the feeling of getting hit over the head with sheer bliss whenever I listen to this posthumous MJ track (it might just be my most-listened to track of the year, in fact). To be honest, I prefer the version without JT doing the sexy breathing on it, but nothing can bring down “Love Never Felt So Good.”

JASON LIPSHUTZ: Paramore had no business staying relevant in the 2010’s, but their 2013 self-titled album was an absolute triumph commercially and creatively, and its xylophone-inflected, gospel-choir-sporting third single “Ain’t It Fun” somehow became the band’s highest-charting hit on the Hot 100 chart. Whereas the latest Michael Jackson posthumous release felt icky from the get-go, Paramore’s story was totally feel-good, and has established the band as an inventive rock act with whom one can picture growing old.
My Vote: “Ain't It Fun”

OVERALL WINNER: “Love Never Felt So Good”

I just love the way they describe how much they love LNFSG. "Sheer Bliss" wow yes! great description. It is one of MJ's classics imo. And how many posthumous songs can be labeled that way- it is MJ's pure genius. So happy about this brilliant song. :clapping:

I knew Fancy would win. It was a massive hit and you know most of the times critics award popularity over quality. Even though I actually think Fancy is not that bad, you can't compare it with the great LNFSG.

Basically it's pretty clear the winner will be one of the huge hits this year (Drunk In Love, Happy, Dark Horse, Fancy).

Still nice that LNFSG made it halfway through.

Back