Michael Jackson Estate Renews with BMI

HIStory

Proud Member
Michael Jackson Estate Renews with BMI

By Billboard Staff | December 17, 2014 2:10 PM EST

michael-jackson-billboard-650_0.jpg

Michael Jackson's estate has renewed its long-standing partnership with BMI for representation of the late pop icon's catalog, the performing rights organization announced on Wednesday. The pact, which dates back over 38 years, covers the public performances of Jackson's songs.
"We are pleased to announce our continued representation of Michael's extraordinary and vast catalogue," BMI president and CEO Mike O'Neill said in a statement. "Since 1976, we’ve had the privilege of licensing his works and we’re honored to continue this relationship with his estate."

The King of Pop spent most of his 50 years making music, first with the Jackson 5 and later in a solo career that spawned huge international hits including "Rock With You," "Billie Jean," "Beat It," "Bad" and "Black or White." His biggest album, 1982's Thriller, has sold more than a 100 million copies worldwide. A posthumous album, Xscape, was released this year and debuted at No. 2 on the Billboard 200.
In addition to the Jackson estate deal, BMI also announced that Taylor Swift, Pink and Maroon 5 have chosen to continue their partnerships with the organization. BMI pegs its membership at over 650,000 songwriters, composers and publishers

This is wonderful news, let's hope for a bright/high resolution & substantial future :)

Is this just for Michael's MiJac stuff or do they collect royalties for all songs in the Sony/ATV catalog?

You were already thinking about blu-rays releases... HA!

Blu-Ray releases are possible. It's called film reel. Why are you changing the subject? i don't take sh*t from people i've never met.

Blu-Ray releases are possible. It's called film reel. Why are you changing the subject? i don't take sh*t from people i've never met.

Why is everyone always fighting in this forum now? "Jesus Christ (not in vain not in vain.)"

Is this just for Michael's MiJac stuff or do they collect royalties for all songs in the Sony/ATV catalog?

What MiJack stuff are you referring to?

Posts like this are putting people off posting here.

I'm not gonna let anyone speak down on me.

He was simply correcting you. Unwind your neck man.

Posts like this are putting people off posting here.

I've been in this community since the early days and actually had to take a break after MJ's death in 2009 because of all the fighting. I came back to find it's still going on which is really unfortunate. I don't want to leave the forum, but it's becoming extremely off-putting. Poor Gaz.

I took it as teasing in a nice way. Not putting anyone down.
(Sorry to butt in but sometimes I tease people here too bc a lot of the posts can be upsetting or depressing and it's nice to be able to laugh or joke).

I'm not gonna let anyone speak down on me.

lolz

Hey remember those times you commented on a persons video just to point out you won't watch it because you don't like compilation videos with logos and didn't want them posting anymore?
That was weird.

So off-putting lately.

What the Billboard article "forgot" to mention was that MJ's total sales are at more than 1 billion. It's not the first time they try to diminish MJ's legacy...

Back