Michael as a dancer:

MJJA

Proud Member
Obviously MJ's dancing has been discussed a million times but I would love to ask any dancers on here what it is about MJ that makes him so unique or special as a dancer.
In watching him I always felt it was the combination and connectivity of the moves that set him apart.
So I am just wondering what it is to other dances that makes him so special?

He makes everything look so seamless.
Even when it's not a choreographed group routine and he's just doing random stuff on the stage, it all looks perfect and as if it just flows naturally.

Absolutely agree! What 's amazing to me is the spirit, the meaning he gives to dancing, as he expresses zo beautifully in his poems "Dancing The Dream".
For me he reawakended my old love for the dance and I dance at my home several evenings in a week. It is my mental, emotional and physical workout and also a way to canalize and express things. And at many times it makes me feel one with all that exists. That feeling of Unity or how should I call it, that I see very much when I watch Michael dancing.

Absolutely agree! What 's amazing to me is the spirit, the meaning he gives to dancing, as he expresses zo beautifully in his poems "Dancing The Dream".
For me he reawakended my old love for the dance and I dance at my home several evenings in a week. It is my mental, emotional and physical workout and also a way to canalize and express things. And at many times it makes me feel one with all that exists. That feeling of Unity or how should I call it, that I see very much when I watch Michael dancing.
I just wanted to ask Garden what kind of dancing was it that you stopped doing and what kind of dancing are you doing now.
And on MJ. Outside of watching a beautiful contemporary piece, I think because that style is just so about emotion, nothing has ever made me feel like my spirit was soaring when I am watching dance except for MJ. I love all forms of dance and appreciate watching really talented people express themselves but with Michael it feels somehow magical.

See MJJA I am Dutch speaking so I have to use Dutch terms, "Dansexpressie" was the thing I did. I had a little formation but it 's always been a thing I kept doing on my own or among good friends, and so it is now. Then came a time there were big changes in my life and for almost two decades I danced no more. But then came the most shocking news that Michael left this world. It made me starting to explore days and nights long all I could find about Michael, because I felt it was so important for me. I started dancing again and I searched also for what does dance nowadays look like. What my dancing is now, that is a mixture of free expressive dancing with things I take from different styles, popping and locking (of course), free style, and so on, mixed with my "dansexpressie" that is more "theatrical" dancing. Voilà, that's it. What's the most important change for me is that after watching Michael, the music, the rhythm and the feeling the music gives to me, it passes through me, it is as if I am like earth, water, fire and air, flesh, veins, lungs, heart, and the wires of my body, legs, feet, arms, hands and so on,, where it all goes through. I never had that "total" feeling before watching Michael.

Last edited:
I think it was Jamie King who said 'Michael doesn't dance to the music, he dances inside of it.' and that's true you go watch Human Nature live (or rehearsal) on YouTube and you'll see he doesn't dance to the music literally dances inside of the composition, He referred to himself as an instrument of nature and he is, when he dances he is a visual 'image' of the music. Below is sheet music for 'Human Nature',now Michael didn't read sheet music, but what you see below is also how to dance to Human Nature, because he didn't dance to it he danced inside of it he was the music. Travis said he didn't work with counting you know, '5,6,7,8! and a 1,2,3,4....) he worked with sounds sounds, you can sometimes see him beat boxing when he's dancing, if you just had him, no music, you could still hear the music when he dances.
notation_preview_image_50f85bde137070.56206875.png

I think it was Jamie King who said 'Michael doesn't dance to the music, he dances inside of it.' and that's true you go watch Human Nature live (or rehearsal) on YouTube and you'll see he doesn't dance to the music literally dances inside of the composition, He referred to himself as an instrument of nature and he is, when he dances he is a visual 'image' of the music. Below is sheet music for 'Human Nature',now Michael didn't read sheet music, but what you see below is also how to dance to Human Nature, because he didn't dance to it he danced inside of it he was the music. Travis said he didn't work with counting you know, '5,6,7,8! and a 1,2,3,4....) he worked with sounds sounds, you can sometimes see him beat boxing when he's dancing, if you just had him, no music, you could still hear the music when he dances.

Yes... Michael = the Music

Hey, man, just wanted to inform you that the dancing in that signature is not MJ, but Earnest Valentino, so you are basically having a gif of an MJ impersonator dancing like MJ in your sig. Thought I'd let you know, in case you didn't.

I dance since I was 4, I had (still have, like a treasure) a VHS of a Dangerous concert, and I remember myself in front of the tv paralyzed since the moment Michael jumped on stage.
Now that I am a professional dancer, I can see that though he is a natural dancer, he has a lot of technique and discipline, hours of training in his balance and concentration, that the result is a fluent move, like it's all natural... he still amazes me.
I can totally understand when he says that a dancer does not think when he is dancing, he just let himself go and then results the passion.

He makes everything look so seamless.
Even when it's not a choreographed group routine and he's just doing random stuff on the stage, it all looks perfect and as if it just flows naturally.

Yep that fluidity is just mesmerizing. Okay I'm not a dancer but I chimed in anyway :tooth:

Garden;4066278 said:
See MJJA I am Dutch speaking so I have to use Dutch terms, "Dansexpressie" was the thing I did. I had a little formation but it 's always been a thing I kept doing on my own or among good friends, and so it is now. Then came a time there were big changes in my life and for almost two decades I danced no more. But then came the most shocking news that Michael left this world. It made me starting to explore days and nights long all I could find about Michael, because I felt it was so important for me. I started dancing again and I searched also for what does dance nowadays look like. What my dancing is now, that is a mixture of free expressive dancing with things I take from different styles, popping and locking (of course), free style, and so on, mixed with my "dansexpressie" that is more "theatrical" dancing. Voilà, that's it. What's the most important change for me is that after watching Michael, the music, the rhythm and the feeling the music gives to me, it passes through me, it is as if I am like earth, water, fire and air, flesh, veins, lungs, heart, and the wires of my body, legs, feet, arms, hands and so on,, where it all goes through. I never had that "total" feeling before watching Michael.
Thanks for sharing.
I like the way this discussion has unfolded as just about every dancer talks about MJ in such high regard and it's easy to sit there and be mesmerized by him but I was also interested in what it is that dancers see that makes Micheal such an iconic dancer and one of the most influential of all time.

Thanks for sharing.
I like the way this discussion has unfolded as just about every dancer talks about MJ in such high regard and it's easy to sit there and be mesmerized by him but I was also interested in what it is that dancers see that makes Micheal such an iconic dancer and one of the most influential of all time.

Yes, I'd like to ad some very special things I see in him as a dancer : (but most of it is already said)
- his exceptionnal talent
- his experience, danced from a very young age on
- the passion he danced with
- the great mastery he showed in his dance moves (and his way of moving in general :), I'm in love with it)
- his originality, the way he was renovatif
- the way he was "One" with the music and the dance...
- the way he could entertain and mesmerize by his dancing, he was magic!
and I certainly forget things in this moment, so let the list go on and complete itself in this thread ;-)...

I love that you mentioned passion because I certainly think that is part of it.
There was also no doubt about the magic that he had.
From my perspective there have been other dancers with perhaps as much talent and in fact even more physically gifted then Michael in the pop music world (and I am not simplifying MJ's greatness to limiting his place within just the pop music world as obviously MJ is one of the great dancers of all time regardless of eras or styles. It is just for the sake of making this point) and yet for some reason while I admire their technique and enjoy watching them there is no doubt that there is just that something extra that MJ had that they don't.
The other thing I wanted to ask is what would you consider to be his most complicated and difficult routines and why?
Certainly something like Bad or the Remember The Time routines have always been standouts to me.

I dance exactly like Michael, I never really count when I dance, nor do I dance to the music, I dance in and around it like he did. Michael would dance in the composition, so basically he was dancing around the drums. I do the same, music is like a clock, you are always working around the clock, you should work in the clock. Using the ticking of the clock, and the seconds to your advantage. Which as a dancer you should be able to do.

I dance exactly like Michael, I never really count when I dance, nor do I dance to the music, I dance in and around it like he did. Michael would dance in the composition, so basically he was dancing around the drums. I do the same, music is like a clock, you are always working around the clock, you should work in the clock. Using the ticking of the clock, and the seconds to your advantage. Which as a dancer you should be able to do.

Agreed!

I am not a professional dancer, but I love dancing as a hobby! I remember watching an interview of one of the dancers of "This Is It" say this very accurate point about Michael's dancing, that if a person doesn't hear the music and watches Michael dance they will still be able to interpret the music! MJ's dancing is really the way he describes it - it is an interpretation of the song itself.
You don't need the counts to learn his routine, his composition itself acts a guide to perform the steps. I had watched the Thriller dance SO many times that when I danced to it I just played the song and did the routine with the music guiding me which steps to perform. Also his perfection is ingrained in the routine, there are certain little movements that I completely missed and when I see the routine for the Nth time I realise I had been doing it wrong. A slight change makes the movement look completely different! IMO, what also contributed to his dancing was his physique. As he aged, he just grew more fluid with his movements (quoting Jefferey Daniels from Bad 25 :p ) and its pretty obvious from the concerts! Which is why whatever he dances looks like his signature step, he just make the movements his own.

THIS :

I feel this has to be the most underrated live performance of his. The way he coupled the locking and popping with a slow music, he brought the song alive in this one. I am absolutely in love with the way he does that circular movement, the one he starts and ends this routine with. :wub:

And lets not even talk about his dancing "level" :smilerolleyes: A man who can pull off dancing in a car so well can do ANYTHING I say :D

Which routine to choose? My absolute favorite one is Bad routine. But I feel all of his dance routines are good.
Personally I am not so much a fan of "routines" in general, but MJ is my exception to the rule. W'hen I dance to Michael's music, I never do one of his routines, neither any other routine. The thing that inspires me most, is just... just something in the way he moves... there's something that fuels the dancing fire in me. The way he moves... yes, well I think it is mentionned here already : Michael's body as an instrument. And sometimes it is as if you can look right into his soul... Remember Michael so loved watching James Brown dancing, the King of Soul...
I really am in lack of words, the only way I can begin to express the "Michael-feeling" in me is by dancing to him and for me it is not dancing his dance moves, but my own.

I think what makes him special is that he can make out of the most basic move something special, stylish' and original that suddenly matches to the music.

Is there anyone else wo is close in the pop world. I always thought Janet was great. Paula certainly had talent and what about someone like Usher.
What are peoples thoughts on those who were around during his time and were inspired by him.

About Janet I absolutely agree she was/is a great dancer. I love watching here dance side by side with Micheal in the short film for "Scream"!!
I have not made my mind up yet about other dancers who were around Michael and that were inspired by him. Good idea for me to watch or rewatch them. MJJA, give us some more names you like to read our thoughts on :). Paula I have to learn to know yet... Usher I surely appreciate.

And... happy New Year to you all :)!

Is there anyone else wo is close in the pop world. I always thought Janet was great. Paula certainly had talent and what about someone like Usher.
What are peoples thoughts on those who were around during his time and were inspired by him.
For that pop world I would say Madonna.

In status as a pop star, perhaps. In talent, nowhere near in my opinion.
In my opinion as well. I don't think Michael had any equal in the talent department.
But bringing up other pop singer/dancers of the modern pop world I see a lot of imitators. Madonna's songs, style and dancing at the time were more inspired by old movie musicals as Michael's were.

About Janet I absolutely agree she was/is a great dancer. I love watching here dance side by side with Micheal in the short film for "Scream"!!
I have not made my mind up yet about other dancers who were around Michael and that were inspired by him. Good idea for me to watch or rewatch them. MJJA, give us some more names you like to read our thoughts on :). Paula I have to learn to know yet... Usher I surely appreciate.

And... happy New Year to you all :)!
Ciara is someone I think has talent as well.

As for Madonna. I never thought of her as a dancer on that level.

Now, that is what I call a :clapping: thread! I love the description of how Michael dances and how the peeps that dance too describe it ;)

I've been a dancer too. I was in a dancegroup back in 2005 but whenever the choreographer started the music, inspiration started to flood in. I would see visions and hear dialogues and start to plot which was kinda frustrating for both sides cause I was 'supposed' to dance and follow his 'routine' :blush:

So, soon I chose to quit dancing and I just write on Michael's music now ;)

It's really a git and passion if you can dance and Michael really owned that gift. He indeed became the music!

The toughest routines to 'learn' were RTT and Ghosts :blush:

Congrats to this awesome thread :clap:

May I ask what it is specifically about those two routines that makes them so difficult to learn?

Now, that is what I call a :clapping: thread! I love the description of how Michael dances and how the peeps that dance too describe it ;)

I've been a dancer too. I was in a dancegroup back in 2005 but whenever the choreographer started the music, inspiration started to flood in. I would see visions and hear dialogues and start to plot which was kinda frustrating for both sides cause I was 'supposed' to dance and follow his 'routine' :blush:

So, soon I chose to quit dancing and I just write on Michael's music now ;)

It's really a git and passion if you can dance and Michael really owned that gift. He indeed became the music!

The toughest routines to 'learn' were RTT and Ghosts :blush:

Congrats to this awesome thread :clap:

Oh Daryll!! There's no such thing as "I've been a dancer", you are a dancer!! But as you said it :maybe just not a routine dancer. The visions you get, dancing, are a wonderfull gift! I hope you keep on dancing in your free time, because dancing is so good for you/us, mentally, emotionally and physically, it is so healing and rejuvenating (is that the word?). Dancing will be my long life when I am old (haha am already a little bit old)!

Garden;4067515 said:
Oh Daryll!! There's no such thing as "I've been a dancer", you are a dancer!! But as you said it :maybe just not a routine dancer. The visions you get, dancing, are a wonderfull gift! I hope you keep on dancing in your free time, because dancing is so good for you/us, mentally, emotionally and physically, it is so healing and rejuvenating (is that the word?). Dancing will be my long life when I am old (haha am already a little bit old)!

Thanks Garden :angel:

Indeed, I guess I'm not the type for 'routine' dance stuff and yeash, I still love to dance and I love to plot stories while listening to MJJCommunity Radio :cheeky:

May I ask what it is specifically about those two routines that makes them so difficult to learn?

I think it's the 'body coördination' that I lack these days :blush: These 'routines' are complex and 'demand' a lot of the body and mind!

I hate when people talk about Michael being a hard worker with the dancing.

You don't learn that. John Landis put it best: "He's a dancer in his soul".

I think it's both ;-). You need both for getting to a great level. When you watch videos with Michael dancing through all those years, from when he was still a child and so on and on, with his tap dancing, his dancing with Jackson 5, later on his own amazing routines and so on...
Oh I absolutely agree he was a dancer in his soul... and his soul was in his dancing. He was an extraordinary talented natural dancer.
But also a hard worker. Many interviews of people that worked with him affirm that. And you can see it in his perfection. Of course when he began to suffer from illnesses it was more difficult for him... But I am convinced that he was a hard worker as long as he could and even at times he barely could. That sounds sad... I know... But I do believe that his passion for the music, the singing and, not less, the dancing was born out of a true need in his soul to do that and that it gave him a lot of fulfillment.

So I absolutely agree that dancing like "that", you don't learn that, as John Landis said : "He's a dancer in his soul."

Remember the time and Ghosts are my favorites too, but for the complexity. I don't think that are difficult to learn, maybe are difficult to execute the way that Michael does...

I don't completely agree with that. He was truly gifted, of course, but if you don't train it, you lose it. You can see through the years that he reached his best, (if that's even possible) so i think he was a hard worker.

A wiser teacher told me once, that it isn't just the talent what distinguishes you, it is how much you work for that. And When you are on the top of the game, you must work even harder, much more harder.

Do you know by chance who are Lombard twins? You should check up what Michael said when he saw them dance. :)

Thanks for sharing.

He made a revolution.
You can see it not just in the pop world, but in the dance world.
I am a ballet dancer, I should have Rudolf Nureyev as idol... but what else can I say...

I can recall a recent situation with a dance teacher who is 10 years older than me, we were in the studio before class, and she put "Can't let her away" on her ipod and she was saying that she loved the whole Dangerous album and how much she loved MJ, and someone said "Oh no, I hate Michael Jackson" (-.-) and this dancer response was "If you are here now, is because he exists".

I think is kind of that, that he made literally a change in the dance world forever, anybody can deny it. You can see Michael moves and style everywhere.

Back