Michael Jackson's Estate turned down King of Pop cameo in new 3D Adam Sandler flick

Jackson Rules

Proud Member
Michael Jackson– the beloved version, from the 1980s– will not be making a film comeback anytime soon. According to emails culled from the voluminous Sony hack, Sony Pictures wanted use of Michael’s likeness for their summer 2015 3D Adam Sandler movie “Pixels.” They were turned down flat.

The emails turned up in a group found by musician Val Broeksmit, who’s been releasing his findings much to Sony’s chagrin on Twitter. Sony has vowed to sue Twitter and Broeksmit. But so much of the material is already coursing its way through the internet that it might be difficult to rebottle this genie.

According to the emails, a production exec reached out to Sony’s Amy Pascal for help persuading Jackson estate lawyers John Branca and Karen Langford in their quest to include Jackson with a bunch of 80s icons including — this is from the email– Bruce Springsteen, Mr. T, Ronald Reagan and Hall & Oates.

Langford tells Jonathan Kadin that, off the record, she might consider letting them use Jackson’s image if the fee were in the high six figures. But Kadin says the studio usually pays $20,000 for cameos such as these, and the budget allows for a maximum of $25,000. So it’s not going to happen even though Kadin says “Sandler is anxious for this to happen.” Kadin notes that the request for such a high fee was a polite way for the Jackson estate to turn them down.

Langford, Kadin says, recalls Jackson’s infamous cameo in “Men in Black 2″ and that it wasn’t received well. You may recall that Michael wouldn’t give Sony Music the final master tapes for the “Invincible” album to release until they secured him this role.

Source: http://www.showbiz411.com/2014/12/2...ing-of-pop-cameo-in-new-3d-adam-sandler-flick

The Estate rejecting the offer is not surprising however; the below is news to me:

Langford, Kadin says, recalls Jackson’s infamous cameo in “Men in Black 2″ and that it wasn’t received well. You may recall that Michael wouldn’t give Sony Music the final master tapes for the “Invincible” album to release until they secured him this role.

Oh? I was fine with the cameo and most people I know were as well. It was a pleasant surprise.

I personally am not interested in the media's view on Michael's cameo. I also was not aware Michael held the master tapes for Invincible hostage until Sony allowed him the cameo. I personally do not believe that.

Jackson Rules;4066611 said:

Source: http://www.showbiz411.com/2014/12/2...ing-of-pop-cameo-in-new-3d-adam-sandler-flick

I don't know who they're talking about not receiving it well. The audience went wild when they saw MJ in that cameo. Here's a clip of what Will Smith said about it in the link below. Someone is always trying to minimize MJ's impact and the love people feel for him. I remember negatives being spewed about the World Music Award in 2006 when he accepted the Guinness award for Thriller. The audience went totally nuts when he walked out, they applauded so long and hard, he could barely speak, but it was reported he was booed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j5xLOfxokQ

I don't know who they're talking about not receiving it well. The audience went wild when they saw MJ in that cameo. Here's a clip of what Will Smith said about it in the link below. Someone is always trying to minimize MJ's impact and the love people feel for him. I remember negatives being spewed about the World Music Award in 2006 when he accepted the Guinness award for Thriller. The audience went totally nuts when he walked out, they applauded so long and hard, he could barely speak, but it was reported he was booed.

Don't waste your time with Roger Friedman...another infamous tabloid hawker whose been living off MJ for most of his career. This dude literally built his filthy gossip career on smearing MJ from 1999 to 2008, the year he got fired by Fox.

Since then he's not recovered at all. today without the resources he used to have at Fox, he's become almost anonymous, running a blog site nobody actually reads except a few MJ fans who disappointingly even dare to care for odd reasons.

I see Roger is back to his old habits... this article is disgusting anyway, so - whatever. Adam Sandler's movies are not as good lately so it's not a great loss.

I don't see the harm here. So long as they aren't having Michael do anything crude or unnecessary, I can't see why he shouldn't be in the film for a brief cameo.

Interesting.

Which comment by Langford, as per Kadin, is being suggested that Freidman fabricated? All of it or just what is deemed unflattering to Michael?

AlwaysThere, agreed however; if Michael's M25 rehearsals were not allowed on the box set it truly belonged on, this should be no surprise.

Wasnt sandler screwed over by the arvizos. theres a few of them i mix up.

rogers still a bitter old fool. always has always will

Don't waste your time with Roger Friedman...another infamous tabloid hawker whose been living off MJ for most of his career. This dude literally built his filthy gossip career on smearing MJ from 1999 to 2008, the year he got fired by Fox.

Since then he's not recovered at all. today without the resources he used to have at Fox, he's become almost anonymous, running a blog site nobody actually reads except a few MJ fans who disappointingly even dare to care for odd reasons.

Oh, god...I didn't notice the article was crazy Friedman's. Just read it without noticing the link. You're right...waste of time

People booing Michael are beyond classless like those Montreal Canadiens fans. Plus the recollection of Michael's cameo scene in "Men In Black II" not being recieved is utter BS.

Why you actin like the Estate needs to accept and allow everything a third party suggests them? Get over it.

I love watching Michael cameo in Men In Black 2 but the Estate has to protect Michael image that what they are there for.

Typical Friedman.

Michael Jackson MIB 2 Cameo Is Hilarious

[Thursday, June 27th, 2002]
Audiences at early screenings of Men In Black 2 are finding Michael Jackson's cameo hilarious, reports Ananova.

But director Barry Sonnenfeldsays they're laughing so much, they're missing what he has to say.

Jackson appears in one of the film's final scenes.

Will Smith explained to LAUNCH how Jackson got in the film in the first place. "Michael called after the first film. He said he saw the first film in Paris and he said, 'Look, Will, I don't care what happens. If you are making a part two of this film, I am in this film.' Michael, he's a real movie buff, so he said when he saw this (the first Men In Black), it was the most creative thing he'd ever seen. He said he just couldn't compare it to any other film. He said he was absolutely a part of it (the sequel). He didn't care what we said (about his role)."

Sonnenfeld says if he'd known how well audiences were going to react to Jackson's part, he would have re-edited the scene so there was enough space between his lines.

Smith explains that the sight of Jackson--playing himself as an alien, decked out in that trademark Men In Black suit and consulting MIB boss Zed (Rip Torn) via a monitor--is a credit to Jackson's sense of humor. "You know, when he comes on the screen, people are really happy. It's as if Michael is saying to the world, 'OK, all right. I'm human just like everyone else. I appreciate a good joke just like everyone else does,' but the thing that I loved so much is he kept wanting to play it serious. You know, he was, like, 'You know, I'm a Man In Black, I just want it to be really serious.' I think people are going to be really shocked and really surprised, and enjoy seeing Michael in this film and in this light."

Men In Black 2 is released in the 3 July 2002.

Copyright © 2012 KillerMovies.com. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy - Forum Archive

Based on recent Adam Sandler's movies, he's more insuferable every time, if that article is true glad the Estate turned down the cameo, Yeah, Friedman is a two face hypocrite, that's why I take most of what he says with a grain of salt. And about MIBII, Michael's cameo is the best that movie IMO, the only reason I watch it.

Last edited:
[QUOTEYeah, Friedman is a two face hypocrite][/QUOTE]

This yes its true!

So...

Langford makes a statement.
Kadin repeats Langford's statement to Friedman.
Friedman reports Langfords's statement as per Kadin.

Some prefer to pan Friedman when he is only reporting Langford's statement.

Indeed.

The Estate rejecting the offer is not surprising however; the below is news to me:

Oh? I was fine with the cameo and most people I know were as well. It was a pleasant surprise.

I also was not aware Michael held the master tapes for Invincible hostage until Sony allowed him the cameo. I personally do not believe that.
I don't care if Friedman is flattering to Michael or not-but I do care that he's HONEST about his stories-lately you just find him making stuff up.

Barbee0715, I am no fan of Friedman however; he only injected his view in one sentence in the last paragraph.

This is Friedman:

You may recall that Michael wouldn’t give Sony Music the final master tapes for the “Invincible” album to release until they secured him this role.

This is Langford as per Kadin:

Langford, Kadin says, recalls Jackson’s infamous cameo in “Men in Black 2″ and that it wasn’t received well.

I cannot accuse Friedman of fabricating Langford's comment as per Kadin.

I hope we can get the exact emails, because I don't want to read Friedman's interpretation of them.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of Adam Sandler and his type of comedies, I usually find them boring and not really funny.

Thank god! Adam Sandler is terrible, and I wouldn't want MJ to be involved with him in anyway

I don't know who they're talking about not receiving it well. The audience went wild when they saw MJ in that cameo.

Well, the MIIB cameo did not come across that great with everyone. because of how Michael appeared (the new nose job, the upper-lipp problem etc) plus how they made him appear (the fish bubble lense that made him appear all extra weird.)

If people at the cinema laughed, i'm sure it was rather about his appearance, not the intended self-irony or because they were happy to see him. For me this cameo was rather shocking and sad when i saw it the first time, there was nothing cool about it. and i don't think i'm the only MJ fan who felt that way.

Michael_jackson_men_in_black_2.jpg

The only good thing about it is that is was cut so short and he looked so unlike his old self, that most people not expecting a Michael Jackson cameo in this movie, simply overlooked it. Several friends I asked never knew he was in this movie although they had seen it.

Last edited:
Well, the MIIB cameo did not come across that great with everyone. because of how Michael appeared (the new nose job, the upper-lipp problem etc) plus how they made him appear (the fish bubble lense that made him appear all extra weird.)

If people at the cinema laughed, i'm sure it was rather about his appearance, not the intended self-irony or because they were happy to see him. For me this cameo was rather shocking and sad when i saw it the first time, there was nothing cool about it. and i don't think i'm the only MJ fan who felt that way.

Michael_jackson_men_in_black_2.jpg

Yeah and I don't really think that haircut suits him to be honest (maybe it's just because I'm used to seeing him with longer hair when he looked white? Longer hair always suited him better from the 1990s onwards imho).

I think it would've been even cooler if he was just casually in the background of one of the shots. Make people go "What the?! Was that... was that Michael Jackson in the background?" :p

Pretty sure "Michael Jackson– the beloved version, from the 1980s– will not be making a film comeback anytime soon." is from Roger. :doh:

InvincibleTal, take a moment to read the email. It refers to 80's MJ.

InvincibleTal, I understand.

I appreciate Michael's full career; from J5 to TII. However; even Michael would concede he was his most beloved during Thriller.

That is the time period the filmmakers requested and they were rejected. Whatever era they chose would have been rejected and maybe questioned by fans if the offer was accepted.

It is not much different than the choice and use of a Thriller era Michael on the cover of Michael, a Dangerous era Michael for the VV performance, a Dangerous era Michael for the hologram in MJ One....

I do not remember what era of Michael that is on the Xscape cover.

Last edited:
Back