[DISCUSSION] Which producer did the best job? (Xscape & Michael)

For me it's Teddy Riley and Stargate.

After them comes Rodney Jerkins. I like his production very much but in my opinion it doesn't match perfectly with the song. But nonetheless it's a killer track.

On the 3rd place is Timbaland for me.

1. Stargate / Teddy Riley
2. Rodney Jerkins
3. Timbaland
4. John McClain

Last edited:
Neff-U, Rodney Jerkins & Teddy Riley.

The work Stargate did on APWNN was absolutely phenomenal and is easily my most played from the Xscape album. Quite possibly the best executed song I've heard from MJ posthumously. Rodney Jerkins pushed Xscape to even higher levels with his 2014 contemporisation (that chorus god-damn) and Timbaland did a great job on a number of the tracks he was given; specifically LNFSG, Loving You and STTR.

LNFSG is groovy as hell, Loving You has a perfectly fitting instrumental and STTR? I could dance to that all day (and don't get me started on that breakdown that was heard in the Billboard hologram mix!). When Timbaland gets it right on Xscape, god damn does he get it right! In saying all of that, Chicago's contemporisation was terrible and DYKWYCA... well neither his version or the demo were as good as the 2010 Michael mix. I never really cared for Blue Gangsta as a song although I loved Timbaland's atmospheric intro. Wish it went for longer actually.

In regards to the Michael album, I liked what Neff-U did instrumentally with Hollywood Tonight (as did many of my friends at the time). Akon, MJ and Tuinfort did a solid job on Hold My Hand too.

So in rough order, I suppose:
1. Stargate/Teddy Riley (yep, a tie).
2. Timbaland
3. Neff-U.
4. Akon/Tuinfort/MJ.

Last edited:
1. Rodney Jerkins
2. Stargate
3. Neff U\Akon
4.Teddy Riley\John Mcclain
7. Timbaland

I think Akon did a great job with HMH but I don't consider it as much as a new production like the rests, he just finished the track. If I have to rate him, I think he's up there with Neff U.

I actually adore "Loving You" but I think it's more about the song being so sweet and catchy and there's not much of a credit to give Timbaland with it. I love that he kept his production minimal with this particular song.

Every producer on XSCAPE and MICHAEL did outstanding jobs with what they were given.

I'm gonna go completely left field and pick John McClain as the best. He's consistently delivered quality productions that have an unmistakable Michael Jackson atmosphere, even when they don't entirely resemble the original song. This Is It and Much Too Soon are beautifully imagined, while Behind the Mask and Love Never Felt So Good are irresistible. (I'm also assuming he produced the leaked version of Do You Know Where Your Children Are, which is undoubtedly the strongest available version of the song). He doesn't hit the nail on the head every time (what producer does?), but he comes closest.

John McClain.. Behind the Mask + Love Never Felt So Good.. and This Is It all sound like official MJ songs.

Neff-U, Rodney Jerkins, John McClain/Giorgio Tuinfort (LNFSG), Teddy Riley, Stargate
Concerning STTR, IMO Tricky Stewart/Max Methods did the better job overall than Timbaland

Rodney Jerkins. Could argue he should've had Timbaland's role on the album. His 'Xscape' is KILLER!

Back