Filmmaker Quentin Tarantino discusses his love and appreciation for MJ and The Jacksons

HIStoric

Proud Member
A short while after MJ's passing, Quentin Tarantino (who has been one of the most biggest filmmakers for the past 20 years - Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill, Inglourious Basterds, Django Unchained to name a few...) talked about his love for the music of The Jacksons. It's a fascinating 12 minute analysis and discussion into what is arguably the most undiscussed period of MJ's career.

I'lI came across this a while ago, suddenly remembered it and upon a quick search, no-one seems to have posted this... so enjoy! :)

(Oh yeah, I wasn't entirely sure whether to post this here or in the 2300 Jackson Street forum but since Michael is heavily involved in the discussed material and other people have threads here discussing the music of The J5/Jacksons, I thought I'd post it here anyway).

I saw this video a while ago and I was pleasantly surprised that Quentin Tarantino was not only a fan of MJ/The Jacksons but he is actually more knowledgable about them than the average casual fan who would say something like "I like Billie Jean and Thriller". Tarantino however named an album as his fave that often gets overlooked even among fans: The Jacksons' 1980 Live album. I was pretty impressed by his choice and I agree, it's a great album.

Wow! Some people really surprise you. I never would have guessed he was a fan. So nice to hear some one of his artistic background heaping the praise on MJ and the Jacksons, those albums are definitely under rated.

I wonder what a Tarantino produced MJ video would have looked like. I bet it would have been bad ass. I love Pulp Fiction. One of the best movies of the 1990's.

Michael's work with The Jackson's is probably his most underrated, yes, even more underrated than Invincible. Lots of people will mention The Jackson 5, and Michael's solo work, and most of the time will skip over The Jackson's.

I feel there's probably a lot of casual fans who aren't aware of these Jacksons albums. They are lost treasures!
They are essentially MJ solo albums with his brothers as backup singers.
Triumph was basically Off The Wall 2. These albums shouldn't be slept on!

I feel there's probably a lot of casual fans who aren't aware of these Jacksons albums. They are lost treasures!

This, plus the latter J5 Motown releases have some amazing songs. The Jacksons catalogue has some of my favourite performances from Michael... Namely Keep On Dancing. Sweet lord have mercy!!!

I agree. For anyone who likes OTW Triumph is a must have. And actually MJ wrote more songs on it than on OTW.

I also like Destiny. When you pay attention to the lyrics it's MJ's most personal album until Dangerous.

I think most people just merge the two together and think The Jacksons are the Jackson 5 - I know I did when I was younger.

I want Destinnnnnyyyy!!!!
People sleep on The Jacksons material simply because many don't know it exists. My Pops would play Destiny and Triumph more than Thriller, as much as Bad, but nowhere as much as HIStory. (He wasn't a Dangerous fan)

Needless to say, I grew up with those songs more than the average kid did in the 90s. I actually think Triumph is a tighter album than Off The Wall

To me Triumph and Destiny feel more like Michael Jackson albums than Off The Wall does. Probably because MJ was more involved with the song writing on those albums

I would not say that they feel more of an MJ album than OTW but I think they could be considered just as much MJ albums as OTW. I mean OTW would not be the same without the songs MJ wrote - DSTYGE, Working Day and Night and Get On The Floor - so it's very much an MJ album. But if you want some more of his creativity at the time then Triumph and Destiny are definitely must haves.

And Destiny is very personal IMO. Just listen to the lyrics! I think it's MJ's most personal album until Dangerous. I'm pretty sure most of those lyrics were were written by MJ because they just ooze MJ.

That's What You Get (For Being Polite), Things I Do For You, Bless His Soul, Push Me Away etc.

Back