People who write names/notes on Items

Zakk

Proud Member
Have you met people who do this? personally i think it is extremely selfish, thankfully my items are untouched.. the reason i post this now is because i saw a signed 'BAD' LP from Wembley 1988 and the seller's daughter wrote ''This record belong's to me'' i was so angry, can't imagine how the seller feels.

Have you met people who do this? personally i think it is extremely selfish, thankfully my items are untouched.. the reason i post this now is because i saw a signed 'BAD' LP from Wembley 1988 and the seller's daughter wrote ''This record belong's to me'' i was so angry, can't imagine how the seller feels.

I don't think it's selfish, no. I mean, if you purchased it it's your item and you're free to do what you want with it. Hell, I know Michael wrote all over his books :p

If the item isn't yours and you graffiti it, well that's a different story. Personally though, no, I don't write on my items.

I don't think it's selfish, no. I mean, if you purchased it it's your item and you're free to do what you want with it. Hell, I know Michael wrote all over his books :p

If the item isn't yours and you graffiti it, well that's a different story. Personally though, no, I don't write on my items.

I just don't understand how someone can deface something so precious, especially something that is signed! like, if his daughter really wanted it then she should have requested it as inheritance..

I just don't understand how someone can deface something so precious, especially something that is signed!

Did the seller say if it was defaced before or after Michael signed it? Apart from sentimental value or something, a normal unsigned Bad record isn't exactly 'precious'.

It sounds like a rather specific situation? I wouldn't know actually, how often does this sort of situation occur?

Last edited:
It annoys you people write on their own personal property?
While it fugs up items, I don't particularly lose sleep over it.

Unless they are defacing valuable comic books or something, idc

Did the seller say if it was defaced before or after Michael signed it? Apart from sentimental value or something, a normal unsigned Bad record isn't exactly 'precious'.

It sounds like a rather specific situation? I wouldn't know actually, how often does this sort of situation occur?

Why would they write on it before it was signed? they know it's worth a lot of money, but.. it's sold now! thankfully i didn't go anywhere near that one, i went for the ''18 greatest hits'' LP!

Why would they write on it before it was signed?

Well, I remember when I was a young kid I sometimes wrote 'Property of -realname-' on some of my things. Another reason could be if you're giving it as a gift. "Dear such and such, Happy Birthday, Love blah blah". Two random reasons as to why you might write on something.

Eh, unless it's some one-of-a-kind item I don't really see it as that big a deal.

Last edited:
Well, I remember when I was a young kid I sometimes wrote 'Property of -realname-' on some of my things. Another reason could be if you're giving it as a gift. "Dear such and such, Happy Birthday, Love blah blah". Two random reasons as to why you might write on something.

Eh, unless it's some one-of-a-kind item I don't really see it as that big a deal.

Each autograph, especially certified is one of a kind.. so yeah, it is a big deal :)

yeash, there is a hidden story behind it :blush:

if you have a signed copy and it belongs to you why shouldn't you claim it's yours :blush:

Maybe, she didn't want it be 'sold off' to the highest bidder?

I do indeed sign all my books with date and name cause they are mine and not for 'resale'. :cheeky:

I like when I buy 2nd hand items and they have marks of their past on them. It's like they've aged and bear the hallmarks of where they came. Like they have a story.

Like when I buy a book on ebay and there's tiny grains of sand nestled between some of the pages, or someone's circled a quote that meant something to them.

Or when I buy an old record and it's got someone's name on it. It shows it was loved, and it's journey is continuing. Like Andy writing his name on Woody's foot. I'm all for re-using stuff and I hate how everything is so digital and throwaway these days so I get a kick out of it.

Sure if you're a serious collector of mint condition items then I can understand how it could be frustrating, but I look at myself as the bearer of the item on a temporary basis before it passes to the next person.

Yeah you know I get frustrated on the rate of homelessness around the world, I get frustrated with corrupt politics and big business agendas, I get frustrated with terrorism. But this? Nah not so much.

I agree with you, I HATE when people do that... so stupid.. :pirate:

I have relatives who would write their name on records and tapes. They wrote on the cover or the label of the LP. My mom has old 45s with her name on them. I see that in used record stores also. I used to see people nail album covers to the wall at their houses too.

I have never written on my own things, but when I was a kid I wrote in library books :lol: (and sometimes even cut pictures out of them :eek:hno::ph34r:)

It annoys me, but I can't do anything about it. When I bought a Michael Jackson book 2nd hand recently it had someone elses name in it, in pen on the inside cover, I decided just to add my name next to it with the date.

I like when I buy 2nd hand items and they have marks of their past on them. It's like they've aged and bear the hallmarks of where they came. Like they have a story.

Like when I buy a book on ebay and there's tiny grains of sand nestled between some of the pages, or someone's circled a quote that meant something to them.

Or when I buy an old record and it's got someone's name on it. It shows it was loved, and it's journey is continuing. Like Andy writing his name on Woody's foot. I'm all for re-using stuff and I hate how everything is so digital and throwaway these days so I get a kick out of it.

Sure if you're a serious collector of mint condition items then I can understand how it could be frustrating, but I look at myself as the bearer of the item on a temporary basis before it passes to the next person.

Absolutely agree. And I love buying collections from others, where they have cutten out pictures from the articles and written on the pages with all their love - it gives history to the items and I go back remembering how I used to do the same...

Luckily you are free not to buy Zakk, but face it - the autograph would have a greater value if it was obtained by yourself anyway, that value you cannot re-create.

Back in the day it took time getting hold of items, letter swapping, going to several stores, waiting in patience. Today you have ebay... It makes me treasure these marks of life even more. I think it's a shame when people buy items keep them in folio and up on the shelf for display - my items are to be used, looked at and will get traces of life, that doesn't meen I don't take care of them, but my LP's are to be heard and it does damage the cover over time. I still watch VHS' - I love how you can see that someone ran to the VCR to hit the "record" button

Yeah you know I get frustrated on the rate of homelessness around the world, I get frustrated with corrupt politics and big business agendas, I get frustrated with terrorism. But this? Nah not so much.

Points, lol!!

Jordan%20lol_zpsl3wfmj2h.gif

Great post, btw

047_zpsjf5ijg0b.gif

I wrote my name in books and mangas, not all of them, but I put it there so that I won't ever lose them if I lost them. One time I got one of Shawn Michaels books and I didn't even write my name on it, I let a guy borrowed the book and I never got the book back again. That's why I have to sign my names in books.

Back