SarahJ is in the HOTseat

Daryll748

Proud Member
Hello SarahJ and welcome to the HOTseat :ciao:

What’s the #1 most played song on any device?

What is one of your favorite quotes?

What’s your favorite indoor/outdoor activity?

What chore do you absolutely hate doing?

Don't forget to check your fellow members' HOT seat. :D

1. Oooh that's a good question. Theres quite a few of them, but I listen to Stranger in Moscow alot. Oh and Wanna Be Starting Something. Oops that two. :) I could go on and on....

2. Only two things are infinite, the Universe and Human Stupidity and I'm not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein

3. I love reading and am a confessed bookaholic. Thats one of the things that interested me about MJ was his love of books and knowledge. I think I actually began drooling when I found out how many he owned. Also nature photography. Nothing is better than trying for that shot that actually turns out, although it doesn't happen as often as I'd like it to.:smilerolleyes:

4. House cleaning. Loathe it. I do it but it's a burden I tell 'ya.

Hey Tink :ciao:

This is gonna be a bit of a long answer. I think it was more a realization over time to be honest rather than on particular moment.

One instance that did affect me deeply however was while watching trial footage. It was on verdict day and watching him come out of the court looking so tired and exhausted but still moving, still so gracious. I was struck by how much this man had had to deal with in his life and what level of courage and strength of will it must take to keep going in spite of it all.

I love Michael and admire him not just as an artist but also for his tenacity and commitment to his beliefs and ability to continue trying to motivate and inspire others despite enormous odds that would have stopped most of us in our tracks long ago.
Beautiful man both on the inside as well as the outside.

Wow, that was a beautiful answer above, SarahJ :agree:

Yeah, another 'bookwurm' :bow:

Can you list the books that are a MUST READ?

What is your fave 'genre' to read in?

Do you have a fave author?

I read anything that sparks my interest. But main interests are history, biographies, photography, classical material.
Some fav titles are:

Tales of Two Cities-Charles Dickens
Lord of the Rings & The Silmarillion- J.R.R Tolkien
I Claudius-Robert Graves
Just a few. On my way to work now, but what are some of your favourites?

I read anything that sparks my interest. But main interests are history, biographies, photography, classical material.
Some fav titles are:

Tales of Two Cities-Charles Dickens
Lord of the Rings & The Silmarillion- J.R.R Tolkien
I Claudius-Robert Graves
Just a few. On my way to work now, but what are some of your favourites?

I'll play it 'by the book' :cheeky: and copy your question in my HOTseat :D

:hiya:

Some more questions :D

What’s your least favorite mode of transportation?

What sound do you love?

If you could choose to stay a certain age forever, what age would it be?

If you knew you could only stay here on earth for another week, what would you do differently?

Some more questions :D

What’s your least favorite mode of transportation?
Easy. The Skytrain. Crowded, and expensive for the distance I have to travel.

What sound do you love?
I have two actually. The sound of water. Always give me peace. And wind. Love it! No particular reason why, just always have.

If you could choose to stay a certain age forever, what age would it be?
Hmmm..good question. Maybe 26. That was a good year. I felt and looked my best and just had so much fun.

If you knew you could only stay here on earth for another week, what would you do differently?[/QUOTE]
Yikes! There isn't enough time or space here for that.:no:

I will say, just to name a few, I'd be more confident with my own voice (some who know me would probably argue with me on that one...) and also with my photography. I tend to keep it private (never think the shots are good enough). Most I've done is doing calendars for my family and some people at work.
Also probably make people laugh more. Laughter is so good for the soul.:D

oh I know, we are our own worst critic really. It just takes that little 'kick in the back' for us to feel confident about it, hey!

What do you like to photograph the most? Is it nature, buildings or people?

Do you have a special camera with a PRO lens or just a digital camera?

What do you like to photograph the most? Is it nature, buildings or people?
Nature. I love (when it turns out that is) morning and late afternoon, evening light. It's when you get that special glow, just makes the subject pop..so to speak. I'm not really interested in photographing people unless its the odd candid shot.

Do you have a special camera with a PRO lens or just a digital camera?[/QUOTE]
I have 3 cameras. Two digital DSLR's and one smaller camera with a fixed lens. I won't go into how many lenses I have. **Gulp** Briefly got into LBA (lens buying addiction). I'm over that now (well, sort of...:))

Oh, The Lord of the Rings is one of my favorite series! I have read the books 3 times. :lol: And I am currently reading A Tale of Two Cities. :cheers:

What books have you read most recently?

Well I'm reading Moonwalk again..:). But speaking of Lord of the Rings, I just finished reading the Silmarillion (or "The Tolkien bible) for the 10th time.
Love Tale of Two Cities, also Count of Monte Cristo. I've read the last one so many times I've worn my copy out.:(

Oh wow, I have not yet managed to finish The Silmarillion. Although I'm not so much reading it, as I am studying it and taking notes and everything. :lol:

I love the Count of Monte Cristo as well. I've read it a couple of times. I had a period when I only read French literature. :lol: My copy of the Count of Monte Cristo is very old and must be handled with care. :lol:

Cool. We have the same tastes I see. The Silmarillion is certainly a harder read, but so fascinating. It opens up so much of the history of middle earth pre: LOTR.

I love going into used book stores. I keep fantasizing one day, I'll stumble across a rare 1st edition copy of a classic. Only in my dreams so far.:D

Me too. I love buying cheap books. :rofl: Also, my grandparents have a sizable collection of older volumes. :yes:

It is more difficult to read and I want to be thorough. I have written a biography page for each of the Valar and I intend to do so for all the characters. But it will take forever. :lol:

Thats great. I taught myself how to write my name in Dwarf. Couldn't master Elvish at all. My favourite in Return are the appendices. So much small detail.....

I like Elvish. :D I used to write in my diary with the Elvish alphabet so no one could read it. :lmao: I can read Elvish, but I am as yet unable to speak it... or even understand it. :lol:

Have you read The Hobbit?

Oh you'll have to give me lessons. Maybe I would do better now. I've read the Hobbit many times. It's my daughters favourite. Another great one if you haven't read it is "Tolkien and The Great War" by John Garth. It's talks about his time in WW1 and the Battle of the Somme. Also shows comparisons with the LOTR and his experiences.

:lol: I can try.

No, I have not read that, but I think I read some extracts at some point. :yes: Sounded interesting.

Hey SarahJ :ciao:

What makes the LOTR so appealing to you?
Why would you 'recommend' it to read?

I admit :blush: I've only seen the movies on DVD and I did quite like them but I'm not reallya 'fantasy' type :unsure:

Hey SarahJ :ciao:

What makes the LOTR so appealing to you?
Why would you 'recommend' it to read?

I admit :blush: I've only seen the movies on DVD and I did quite like them but I'm not reallya 'fantasy' type :unsure:

Hey back Daryl :cheers:

I could write a thesis on that first question alone. While LOTR is certainly fantasy the themes within the books go beyond just simple story telling. Tolkein delves into themes such as loyalty, incredible bravery in the face of overwhelming odds and the idea of going on with hope when there is no hope. Tolkein was in WWI in the Battle of the Somme and many of his experiences and what he witnessed is reflected throughout the trilogy. The scene where Frodo and Sam approach the black gates of Mordor, he admitted were taken from what he witnessed during the Somme. Trees destroyed, animal life wiped out, huge patches of white chalk from where the bombs had dropped. A wasteland. There are other examples but I'd be here all night....

I think for some people LOTR touches issues they are dealing with in their own life and offers them a connection. Interesting that Tolkein was a perfectionist and was never satisfied with his own work. Always seeking to perfect it and make it better than it was.

Sounds very much like someone else we know......

Hmmm, interesting. I didn't know the background to it. So wonderful how Tolkien was inspired or even try to 'heal' from that devastating incident by inserting it into a story!

I would love to hear some more 'insight' though. :D

I have to be careful or this will become all LOTR :hysterical:
One little bit of trivia, Tolkein was a believer in re-writes. So much so that if he got to a part of the trilogy that he felt wasn't working for whatever reason, he wouldn't re-write just that bit, he would go right back to the beginning and write the whole thing all over again. Which he did multiple times, which is why it took so long to finish. Twelve years I believe from The Hobbit to LOTR.
He never did finish the Silmarillion and was still working on it right up until his death. When his son decided to publish it, he had to go through a huge volume of material to try to get into some kind of readable format.

I heard the LOTR was finally completed because the publishers gave Tolkein a firm final publication date where he had to submit his completed work, or he may never have actually finished it.

Again though, theres that attention to detail, never being satisfied, re-working something to bring it to its best. For some reason "Earth Song" popped into my head while I was typing this.

There is still a lot of unpublished (perhaps unpublishable even) material. This man wrote a lot. :yes:

Oh there is. Can you imagine his son having to sort through all his material. Yikes!

I think his grandson is working on it now. :lol:

Too true.... I can imagine it. "Guess what we've just discovered another archive of his notes"....:doh:

*collective groan from the Tolkein family* :lol:

Back