MJ the Advocate, Fighting Injustice, Breaking Cultural Barriers - Fact File & Discussion

J5master

Proud Member
lptbanner.jpg

MJ & Black History, Advocating for Equality, Breaking Barriers

BlackHistoryMonth.jpg

As of now (2/8/2015) it is black history month, but this thread certainly isn't just for that. MJ has paved the way and broken barriers for many black artists and entertainers in the industry. But it doesn't even stop there. He didn't just stand for equality for African Americans, but for ALL people - ALL races, cultures, creeds, and more. So lets think of and record all of the moments he has demonstrated himself as an advocate, and a pioneer against injustice in the world. How has he knocked down barriers and contributed to African American history? How has he fought for people of all races and colors? When has he seen injustice and acted upon it? Post here with your stories!

This song is Relevant Even Today - Beyond its Years!

Michael Jackson's "Thriller" Breaks Down MTV's Racial Barrier

http://www.complex.com/music/2013/0...ghts-moments-in-music-history/michael-jackson

vblywngfugklfwxowt2q.jpg

Date: December 2, 1983

There was a time, long, long ago, like the early 80s, where MTV was shook to play videos by black artists. It may be hard to believe, considering the many colors, creeds, and religions featured on music television today, often in compromising positions on gaudy reality TV shows (I see you, Salwa). But in the station's early years, programmers took a hard-stance toward its "rock" format, and R&B/funk/hip-hop artists were all left out to dry. It wasn't until MJ's inescapable, genre-smashing hit "Billie Jean" and its iconic video dropped that MTV was forced to adjust with the times or, according to Mike's label, have all other CBS programming pulled from the station. MTV folded, and unwittingly set up the King of Pop to change music videos forever with the 14-minute epic "Thriller." Soon, mainstream America couldn't get enough of seeing Black artists beamed into the comfort of their homes, and programs like "Yo! MTV Raps" became the station's bread and butter. Jackson proved there was room for all of us on the boob-tube, so hail the King of Pop next time you see Joe Budden on VH1.

http://www.complex.com/music/2013/02/the-25-most-important-civil-rights-moments-in-music-history/michael-jackson

(thank you Jenn for this awesome idea of a thread!)

m2yFutbwehFVp89Dp8OWf7A.jpg

Ebony:
Did your travels have any influence on the way you think about races of people?

Michael: The main thing that I hate most is ignorance, like the prejudice problems of America. I know it is worse in some other countries. But I wish I could borrow, like from Venezuela or Trinidad, the real love of color-blind people and bring it to America.

Ebony: You are making some observations with intense feelings. Please continue.

Michael: I’m prejudiced against ignorance.That’s what I’m mainly prejudiced against. It’s only ignorance and it’s taught because it’s not genetic at all. The little children in those [countries] aren’t prejudiced. I would like for you to put this in quotes, too. I’m really not a prejudiced person at all. I believe that people should think about God more and creation …. Look at the many wonders inside the human body – the different colors of organs, colors of blood – and all these different colors do a different thing in the human body. It’s the most incredible system in the world; it makes an incredible building, the human being. And if this can happen with the human body, why can’t we do it as people? And that’s how I feel. And that’s why I wish the world could do more. That’s the only thing I hate. I really do.

Ebony: What you have just said is not only compassionate but compelling. How do you communicate such feelings since you don’t make public appearances to express your views in public forums?

Michael: I try to write, put it in song. Put it in dance. Put it in my art to teach the world. If politicians can’t do it, I want to do it. We have to do it. Artists, put it in paintings. Poets, put it in poems, novels. That’s what we have to do. And I think it’s so important to save the world.

(read the whole interview - Ebony 1984)

I'd love to read more of his interviews from around the early '80's.

Nice thread and nice section of the site :) It's lovely to see people talk about other things than gold pants and charts.

I hope this won't be considered o/t since I don't have anything terribly specific to add to the conversation. My intervention is mostly in general tones. In a way it helps me answer a question from another thread in another section. I haven't participated in that particular thread because I don't think my answer is in line with the main talk there. It's the one about Michael being anyone's favorite artist.

It's funny because I haven't asked myself that question. He's been such an important part of my life for so long that I don't even think of him in those terms anymore. But when I do think about it the answer is.......a resounding yes. He was and will always be my favorite artist ever. I am a great fan of art in general and of music in particular. I love the work of many people, but his music and, above all, the MESSAGE contained in the music will always hold a most special place in my heart.

The one thing that has always attracted me to him was his passion for world unity and harmony and his fight against injustice. I've always found it wonderful and amazing how this most talented and famous man was using his name and craft to bring awareness to so many important issues. I thought that was nothing short of inspiring.

Art has a wonderful double function - in its lighter forms it helps people elude the platitudes of modern life, the emptiness of existence and the darkness of the world and in its most challenging of messages it makes people think and act, it makes them go beyond their comfort zones and fight for causes greater than themselves. When artists use their talents and their fame wisely they can truly be role models for generations upon generations. That is what Michael did and that is why I will always be so very proud of him and his achievements.

It is a shame though so much of the core of the message has been lost in the cloud of media frenzy and lies, a complete shame. Perhaps in time people will pay more attention. One can only hope.

Michael Jackson A King in Africa

Michael Jackson was a crowned King in the Ivory Coast, In 1992, during one of his epic tours of the African continent. Around the time of his releasing the Dangerous album, Michael traveled to Gabon, which ironically also lost a political leader in Omar Bongo recently, and proceeded to the Ivory Coast.

Here in the land, that he personally described as the "land of his ancestors", Michael Jackson consented to being crowned King Sani in a ceremony conducted under a sacred tree in the gold-mining village of Krindjabo, heart of the Agni tribe near the capital Abidjan.

The coronation took place superintended by traditional chief Amon N’Djaolk, who placed a golden crown on the head of the tribe’s new monarch and declared that
Jackson was now King of Sani, king of this proud West African tribes people.

In fact, "King Michael" loved the honour so much that he kept a very close relationship with the tribe for the whole 18 years that he reigned over the tribe as their monarch, capping his celebrated life as a unique and unpredictable eccentric personality who was anything but fully understood, least of all predictable. His well-recited and shy response after the coronation is well documented. Overcome by emotions, Michael said "merci beaucoup" to his French-speaking subjects, repeating the same in English with the trademark soft "thank you very much". He then joined elders of the king’s court, signed official documents and sat on a throne of gold as women dancers, clad in white gowns, gave a dazzling performance of ritual dances.

These elderly women are the guardians of the village, and their ceremonial dances gave their blessings to the crowning of "King Sani" and asked God for protection at a tree that symbolised the essence of power. The musical messenger, who journeyed to West and East African nations as an ambassador of peace, love and goodwill, achieved a success that exceeded his expectation.

[youtube]zE4g2Ij0M-U [/youtube]

Michael Speaks To Ebony-Jet

EBONY/JET: Do you have any special feeling about this return to the continent of Africa?

JACKSON: For me, its like the "dawn of civilization." Its the first place where society existed. It's seen a lot of love. I guess there's that connection because it is the root of all rhythm. Everything. Its home.

EBONY/JET: You visited Africa in 1974. Can you compare and contrast the two visits?

JACKSON: I'm more aware of things this time: the people and how they live and their government. But for me, I'm more aware of the rhythms and the music and the people. Thats what I'm really noticing more than any thing. The rhythms are incredible. You can tell especially the way the children move. Even the little babies, when they hear the drums, they start to move. The rhythm, the way it affects their soul and they start to move. The same thing that Blacks have in America...

EBONY/JET: How does it feel to be a real king?

JACKSON: I never try to think hard about it because I don't want it to go to my head. But, its a great honor ....

EBONY/JET: Speaking of music and rhythm, how did you put together the gospel songs on your last album?

JACKSON: I wrote "Will You Be There?" at my house, "Never Land" in California....I didn't think about it hard. Thats why its hard to take credit for the songs that I write, because I just always feel that it's done from above. I feel fortunate for being that instrument through which music flows. I'm just the source through which it comes. I can't take credit for it because it's Gods work. He's just using me as the messenger....

EBONY/JET: What was the concept for the Dangerous album?

JACKSON: I wanted to do an album that was like Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker Suite. So that in a thousand years from now, people would still be listening to it. Something that would live forever. I would like to see children and teenagers and parents and all races all over the world, hundreds and hundreds of years from now, still pulling out songs from that album and dissecting it. I want it to live.

EBONY/JET: I notice on this trip that you made a special effort to visit children.

JACKSON: I love children, as you can see. And babies.

EBONY/JET: And animals.

JACKSON: Well, there's a certain sense that animals and children have that gives me a certain creative juice, a certain force that later on in adulthoed is kind of lost because of the conditioning that happens in the world. A great poet said once. "When I see children, I see that God has not yet given up on man." An Indian poet from India said that, and his name is Tagore. The innocence of children represents to me the source of infinite creativity. That is the potential of every human being. But by the time you are an adult, you're conditioned; you're so conditioned by the things about you--and it goes. Love. Children are loving, they don't gossip, they don't complain, they're just open-hearted. They're ready for you. They don't judge. They don't see things by way of color. They're very child-like. Thats the problem with adults: they lose that child-like quality. And thats the level of inspiration that's so needed and is so important for creating and writing songs and for a sculptor, a poet or a novelist. It's that same Idnd of innocence, that same level of consciousness, that you create from. And kids have it. I feel it right away from animals and children and nature. Of course. And when I'm on stage. I can't perform if I don't have that kind of ping pong with the crowd. You know the kind of cause and effect action, reaction. Because I play off of them. They're really feeding me and I'm just acting from their energy.

EBONY/JET: Where is all this heading?

JACKSON: I really believe that God chooses people to do certain things, the way Michelangelo or Leonardo da Vinci or Mozart or Muhammad Ali or Martin Luther King is chosen. And that is their mission to do that thing. And I think that I haven't scratched the surface yet of what my real purpose is for being here. I'm committed to my art. I believe that all art has as its ultimate goal the union between the material and the spiritual, the human and the divine. And I believe that that is the very reason for the existence of art and what I do. And I feel fortunate in being that instrument through which music flows .... Deep inside I feel that this world we live in is really a big, huge, monumental symphonic orchestra. I believe that in its primordial form all of creation is sound and that it's not just random sound, that its music. You've heard the expression, music of the spheres? Well, thats a very literal phrase. In the Gospels, we read, "And the Lord God made man from the dust of the earth and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life and man became a living soul." That breath of life to me is the music of life and it permeates every fiber of creation. In one of the pieces of the Dangerous album, I say:

"Life songs of ages, throbbing in my blood, have danced the rhythm of the tide and flood." This is a very literal statement, because the same new miracle intervals and biological rhythms that sound out the architecture of my DNA also governs the movement of the stars. The same music governs the rhythm of the seasons, the pulse of our heartbeats, the migration of birds, the ebb and flow of ocean tides, the cycles of growth, evolution and dissolution. It's music, its rhythm. And my goal in life is to give to the world what I was lucky to receive: the ecstasy of divine union through my music and my dance. Its like, my purpose, its what I'm here for.

EBONY/JET: What about politics?

JACKSON: I never get into politics. But I think music soothes the savage beast. If you put cells under a miscroscope and you put music on, you'll see them move and start to dance. It affects the soul.... I hear music in everything. [Pauses] You know, that is the most I've said in eight years ..... You know I don't give interviews. That because I know you, and I trust you. You're the only person I trust to give interviews to.

Africa, 1992

ebony1992.jpg

Michael Jackson: crowned in Africa; pop music king tells real story of controversial trip.
Ebony, May, 1992 by Robert E. Johnson

When he was out front as the 14 year-old lead vocalist of the Jackson Five singing group, Michael Jackson visited Africa for the first time.

"When we came off the plane in [Daka, Senegal] Africa," he recalls, "we were greeted by a long line of African dancers. Their drums and sounds filled the air with rhythm. I was going crazy, I was screaming, "All right! They got the rhythm... This is it. This is where I come from. The origin."'

Nineteen years later, when Michael, now 33, came off the plane in Gabon, a West African neighbor nation of Senegal, he was greeted by an excited, screaming crowd of grade-school students who carried a banner that proclaimed: "Welcome Home Michael."

Drum sounds again filled the air with rhythm that flowed from fans who gathered at the airport and lined the streets in anticipation of seeing the "king of pop, rock and soul," who would later be crowned "King Sani" in a West African village.

Despite or perhaps because of this acclaim, the pop idol almost immediately became the center of an international controversy based on a negative media campaign. The media bashing included these big lies:

The trip was a "public relations disaster for Michael." Truth: It was a triumph in which he drew more spectators in Gabon than Nelson Mandela and more in the Ivory Coast than the Pope, according to African spokespersons.

* "The singer cut short an African tour after a stopover generated the wrong kind of excitement." Truth: The sponsors wanted him to extend his tour to meet the demand for his appearances everywhere.

* He held his hand to his nose because the African nations smelled. Truth: He sometimes touched his nose, an old nervous habit which earned him the nickname "Smelly," given originally by Quincy Jones because Michael was touching his nose in Los Angeles.

* He collapsed from the heat and he went to London for a medical appointment. Truth: He was never bothered by the heat. His personal physician, Dr. R. Chalmers, accompanied Jackson on the trip. Jackson didn't go to London for a medical appointment.

* He refused to shake hands with Africans. Truth: He shook the hands of hundreds of people, hugged and kissed children in hospitals and institutions for the mentally retarded.

* He is "neither Black nor White" and is not a good role model for children. Truth: After Michael read a prayer in the Basilica of Our Lady of Peace in the Ivory Coast, a 9-year-old boy exclaimed "Michael is love, love, love! I want to be like him."

[youtube]AoupR2HUQJo[/youtube]​

Because he is well known for his humanity and philanthrophy, tour organizer Charles Bobbit reflected on the Affrican tour and said: "I was impressed with the interaction between Michael and the children. He sat on the bed with children who were deformed and children that were ill... He sat there and talked to them, hugged, cuddled them. He shook hands and did not wear a surgical mask like he does sometimes in America... That qualifies him as a role model for children--his deeds and not his looks."

While the international controversy raged, Michael remained aloof, refusing to read the stories and saying that he preferred to let his deeds and his songs speak for him. Strangely and significantly, he had anticipated these and other criticisms in the song, "Why You Wanna Trip On Me," in the Dangerous album. The song says, in part:

They say I'm different/They don't understand/But there's a bigger problem] Thats much more in demand/You got world hunger/Not enough to eat/So there's really no time/To be trippin' on

It was clear from the beginning that the African people agreed with Michael. And from the time of his arrival, the natWe of Gary, Ind., was welcomed like a ruling dignitary and a long-lost son.

He had come to the land of his ancestors to participate in a historic ceremony conducted beneath a sacred tree in the gold-mining village of Krindjabo, populated by the Agni tribe and located near Abidjan, Ivory Coast. As the village people stood in admiration, Amon N' Djaolk, the traditional tribal chief of Krindjabo, placed a crown of gold upon the head of the musical monarch and pronounced him "king of Sani..

Almost overcome by emotions, the shy, sensitive son of Joseph and Katherine Jackson smiled and said, "Merci beaucoup," to the French-speaking people and repeated in English, 'Thank you very much."

He then joined elders of the king's court, signed official documents and sat on a throne of gold as women dancers, clad in white gowns, gave a dazzling performance of ritual dances. These elderly women are the guardians of the village, and their ceremonial dances gave their blessings to the crowning of"King Sani" and asked God for protection at a tree that symbolized the essence of power.

The musical messenger, who journeyed to West and East African nations as a self-proclaimed ambassador of peace, love and goodwill, achieved a success that exceeded his expectation.

From his sunset arrival in Gabon, where more than 100,000 people greeted him with spiritual bedlam, to his stop in Cairo, Egypt, to which he had paid homage on his newest album, Dangerous, with the best-selling single and music video Remember The Time, Michael was caught up in a hurricane of happy happenings.

In French-speaking, oil- and mineralrich Gabon, he received the West African nations Medal of Honor from President Omar Bongo, who was the official host of the performer's "Come Back To Eden" tour.

President Bongo told Jackson that he was the first entertainer to ever receive the medal, which until then has been given only to heads of states and highranking diplomats and dignitaries--including Nelson Mandela.

As host of the tour, President Bongo appointed his daughter, Pasoaline Bongo, the nation's foreign Minister, and his son, Ali Bongo, to coordinate the tour along with Charles Bobbit, a consultant to the president, who initiated the idea for Jacksons visit.

Jackson agreed to go on the non-performing tour with the stipulation that his priority was his "desire to visit orphanages, children's hospitals, churches, schools and playgrounds."

During his visits to Gabon, the Ivory Coast, Tanzania and Egypt, he encountered "Michael mania" everywhere. His image was on posters, T-shirts, billboards, a postage stamp (in Tanzania), and street banners. His music was played on the radio, piped into hotels-- Okume Palace in Libreville, Gabon; Hotel Ivoire in Abidjan, Ivory Coast; and the Kilimanjaro Hotel in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.

Energetic and intensely interested in his fans, he logged 30,000 miles in 11 days; passed through 11 time zones, slept in five time zones and landed on four continents--South America, Africa, Europe and North America. His 26-porson entourage traveled in a Boeing 707 Executive plane with stateroom, private bath, open bar, lounges, dining areas, video and audio equipment, telephones and fax machines.

And when it was over, the entertainer, contrary to false rumors, had given a new Michael Jackson twist to person-to person diplomacy and had touched the lives of hundreds of thousands of proud Africans.

If you search the internet, you'll find many video footage of Michael visiting Africa from a little boy through-out his adult life. He vacationed in Africa as seen here: http://youtu.be/m2-JzsIxdPc
He was always invovled in NAACP Image Awards & BET. Michael's roots deep in Motown. If you search you'll find Michael involved in many aspects of breaking the color barrier, and helping all to not be ignorant to color difference, as well as loving his race and who he is.
Michael co-created "We Are The World" track "USA For Africa" to help stop famine in Africa. Michael wanted very much to broaden his education in Black History and so he did just that, he read as many books and watched many films and more about Black History. He made sure that his three children were broadly educated about their roots and they were educated on Black History as well. You can see some of the many Black History & Black Education books and authors that he had in his home library Below:
2dvuao8.jpg

Michael Jackson cared deeply for his African ancestry and culture. He helped educate the world of this through his Art, Music & Humanitarian and Philanthropist efforts and always spoke with pride that he was a Black American and proud.

"I'm a Black American, I am proud of my race. I am proud of who I am. I have a lot of pride and dignity."
- Michael Jackson

Let us celebrate Black History month this February and all through the year!
I hope you've enjoy this section. Please submit more!
Sincerely,
souldreamer7

michael-jackson-and-nelson-mandela.jpg

All the colors of the world should be
Lovin' each other wholeheartedly
Yes, it's all right
Take my message to your brother and tell him twice
Spread the word and try to teach the man
Who's hating his brother, when hate won't do
When we're all the same, 'cause the
Blood inside me is inside you...

Can You Feel It....?

(Source: )
[ame="http://www.RBGTube.com/play.php?vid=5528"]Michael Jackson, A Crowned Afrikan King Africa RBG Tube | PanAfrican.TV v2.0 - Free Revolutionary Audio Video Speech Library of Leaders, Activist, and Educators@@AMEPARAM@@http://www.RBGTube.com/uploads/RiCiMWBEwuUCHsjovPWP.flv@@AMEPARAM@@RiCiMWBEwuUCHs jovPWP[/ame]

Last edited:
This is really a great thread and he always gave such great interviews to Ebony/Jet. They always seemed to have his back and he could really open up to them.

I always enjoy moments of this generation (young people) appreciating what MJ has done on social media. I found this on tumblr:

28,668 notes!

And here's the transcript of the above gif - MJ's speech in Harlem, 2002:

Thank you, Al Sharpton. Thank you, Johnnie Cochran. Thank you for inviting me here and all the lovely people here tonight.
I remember a long time ago, in Indiana—of course I was like six or seven years old—I had a dream that I wanted to be a performer, an entertainer.
Whenever I’d couldn’t get to to sleep at night, or my mother would wake me up and shout, “Michael, Michael, James Brown is on 2! Turn it on!”
I’d jump out of bed and I’d just stare at the screen and he’d twist and he’d turn and he’d bump and he’d grind. And then there was Jackie Wilson. He’d just go on and on, just phenomenal, unlimited, great talent. It’s very sad to see that these artists really are penniless. They created so much joy for the world, and the system, meaning the record companies, totally took advantage of them.

And it’s not like they always say, you know, “They built a big house, they spent a lot of money, they bought a lot of cars.” That’s stupid. That’s just an excuse. That’s nothing compared to what artists make. I just need you to know that this is very important, what we’re fighting for. Because I’m tired—I’m really, REALLY tired of the manipulation, I’m tired of how the press is manipulating everything that’s been happening in this situation. They do not tell the truth! They’re liars!

And they manipulate our history books. The history books are not true! It’s a lie! The history books are lying. You need to know that. You must know that. All the forms of popular music: From jazz to hip-hop, to bebop to soul. You talk about the different dances from the cake walk to the jitterbug to the Charleston to breakdancing. All these are forms of BLACK dancing!

What’s more important than giving people a sense of escapism, and escapism meaning entertainment. What would we be like without a song? What would we be like without a dance, joy, laughter, and music? These things are very important!
But if you go to the bookstore down at the corner, you won’t see ONE BLACK PERSON on the cover! You’ll see Elvis Presley. You’ll see the Rolling Stones. But where are the real pioneers who started it?
Otis Blackwell was a prolific, phenomenal writer. He wrote some of the greatest Elvis Presley songs. And this was a black man. He died penniless. And no one wrote about this man ever, they didn’t write one book about him at all. His songs were heard all over the world. I met his daughter today, and I was so honored. To me, meeting her was on the same level as meeting the Queen of England.

I’m here to speak for all injustice. You gotta remember something—the minute I started breaking the all-time record in record sales—I broke Elvis’s records, I broke Beatles records—the minute it became the all-time best-selling album in the Guinness Book of World Records, OVERNIGHT they called me a freak, they called me a homosexual, they called me a child molester, they said I bleached my skin! They made everything to turn the public against me!
And this is all a complete, complete conspiracy. You have to know that.
I know my race! I just look in a mirror. I know I’m black.
You know, it’s time for a change! Let’s not leave this building and forget what’s been said. Put it into your heart. Put it into your subconscious mind, and let’s do something about it. We have to. We have to.

Because this has been a long, long time coming. And a change has got to come!
So let’s hold our torches high, and get the respect that we deserve.
I love you. I looooove you!
PLEASE don’t put this in your heart today and forget it tomorrow, or we will have not have accomplished our purpose if that happens. This has got to stop. It has got to stop. That’s why I’m here with the best, to make sure it stops.
I love you folks! And remember, we’re all brothers and sisters, no matter what color we are.

---

During "UNCF"/Parade Of Stars, a broadcast request for donations to the "United Negro College Fund", aired December 26, 1992, Michael Jackson speaks on the importance of equal rights to education and on the "Michael Jackson Scholarship Program" benefits: "Black Colleges and Universities produce some of the leading personalities of our time. They are leaders in business and law, science and technology, politics and religion. I’m proud to have helped over 200 young men and women receive a quality education that has placed them closer to their dreams through the Michael Jackson scholars program. Tonight, I encourage you to pitch in for higher education. Please support the "United Negro College Fund"." "Heal The World" live is included at the event. The four year college and university/scholarship for deserving students at a UNCF member college or university, focuses on Communications, Performing Arts, Literature/English/Writing and is a distinction available to African-Americans.

---

This performance always gave me chills and when he brought it home at the end - "The white man gotta make a change! The black man gotta make a change!" Goosebumps!

[video=youtube;QAFP5ui4jzA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAFP5ui4jzA[/video]

You guys did a beautiful job in this thread i am proud of you:clap: :clap:

Back