Kanye West mentions MJ in a new song.

Themidwestcowboy

Proud Member
Just listened to a song off of Rapper Big Sean's new album and the song has Kanye as a guest and he said something that caught my ear

That's that don't play, whoo, that's that new Ye
People sayin' I'm the closest thing to Mike since Janet

What do you guys think about this statement?

Artist: Big Sean ft Kanye West

Song: All Your Fault

Album: Dark Sky Paradise (2015)

Yesterday they showed a short interview excerpt in a german Boulvardmagazin with him. They announced him as the husband of Kim Kardashian, lol.

I can usually overlook the person if I think their material is good enough, which was the case with Kanye's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy & 808's & Heartbreak, which I loved, but as of now I cannot stand him. His ego is one thing, he's one of these new bread of artists that actually believes his own hype & throws it around. What he did to Beck was the last straw for me. Beck is a genuinely talented guy & humble too, who doesn't need to go around telling everyone how gifted he is & Beck also writes, produces, & plays multiple instruments. Nah, I have no more time for Kanye or his music. He just comes across as not a very likeable person with a massive chip on his shoulder.

I love that song! Been listening to it on repeat for days now.

Such a high headed thing to vocally interpret.

Kanye doesn't sing, he screams random crap

Yesterday they showed a short interview excerpt in a german Boulvardmagazin with him. They announced him as the husband of Kim Kardashian, lol.

Hahaha.. What an insult!

Audacious thing to say at the least. I like Kanye, I really do but that is a ridiculous thing to say. or

Interesting... not entirely sure what he means by that (RapGenius said it was a reference to an early song when he mentioned he was one of the few rappers compared to Michael, must've been an article/interview Kanye read or was in??).

I love a lot of his work though, regardless of his persona he's an awesome entertainer, great with words and can produce some really sick beats.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That man has big thought of himself.

"Wife of Kim Kardashian" - that's how he is the most known... :lol: - sad for him. :lol:

I don't hate Kanye and I think his 2007-2010 works were great, he's my favortie rapper and he has many songs he mentions Michael. I hope he remains "closest" and not "close" because I can see it going down this road :lol: It's all relative. I do think this one is wrong but Jay Z's MJ references aren't better. They all have this habit praising themselves :doh:

Don't disagree. Lot of ignorance thrown towards both Michael Jackson and Kanye West. Two incredibly talented people.

^ I think different people have their different opinions about "closest thing to MJ". You can be the closest thing but still be millions of miles away. I doubt there's any way to get an agreement about "who's second to MJ" here. I assume for many of us here Michael has his own league and there's no actual "second" to him. There are many other artists I like and admire but they're on a different scale. I'd leave it at that.

^ I think different people have their different opinions about "closest thing to MJ". You can be the closest thing but still be millions of miles away. I doubt there's any way to get an agreement about "who's second to MJ" here. I assume for many of us here Michael has his own league and there's no actual "second" to him. There are many other artists I like and admire but they're on a different scale. I'd leave it at that.

Yeah sure, but there has to be a certain reasoning behind such a claim don't you think? Esp coming from a Michael Jackson fan. Knowning how high MJ placed the bar, that is really a serious claim.

Which ways? I'm actually curious.

The fact that they both wanted to help people, albeit through different ways (Jackson with children, West with product). Ignorance regarding them, Jackson and West are both incredibly, incredibly talented people, ahead of their time in the genre they represent. Yet, people are incredibly ignorant to whatever they hear about said person, misrepresenting it or completely ignoring it because it doesn't favor their negative opinion. It's hard to fully break stereotypes and I think both artists are heavily shrouded in stereotypes. Two true greats, who often were misinterpreted for whatever reason.

Edit - this isn't about being a new King of Pop. He never said that. "Closest thing to Mike" could mean literally anything, not just "ooh new king of pop - look at this arrogant fool let's all hate him etc while expect MJ to get praise all the time"

Yeah sure, but there has to be a certain reasoning behind such a claim don't you think? Esp coming from a Michael Jackson fan. Knowning how high MJ placed the bar, that is really a serious claim.

Yeah, I'm with you on this. For me no one is quite there. Or was.

The fact that they both wanted to help people, albeit through different ways (Jackson with children, West with product). Ignorance regarding them, Jackson and West are both incredibly, incredibly talented people, ahead of their time in the genre they represent. Yet, people are incredibly ignorant to whatever they hear about said person, misrepresenting it or completely ignoring it because it doesn't favor their negative opinion. It's hard to fully break stereotypes and I think both artists are heavily shrouded in stereotypes. Two true greats, who often were misinterpreted for whatever reason.

Edit - this isn't about being a new King of Pop. He never said that. "Closest thing to Mike" could mean literally anything, not just "ooh new king of pop - look at this arrogant fool let's all hate him etc while expect MJ to get praise all the time"

I don't have hate for Kanye, but he did look like a fool with his antics at the Grammys and saying the things he said, blatantly disrespecting another artist with pretty ignorant comments about his artistry.

The only thing with this argument is that this is not the first time he has said stuff like this. Have you forgot that he said that he is more influential than MJ? Do you not remember that he said that he was the new Walt Disney? The new Michelangelo? How can you misconstrue that statement when he specifically said, "The closest thing to Mike since Janet" Comeon. Don't play that "shourded in stereotypes" card. Kanyes actions and behavior is what got some people to turn on him.
I digress though, as I believe he said that in the context of being the closest thing to MJ in the musical sense, and that's just ridiculous.

Last edited:
Back