------------------------------------
Re: RE:
Email-ID 128911
Date 2014-06-30 21:51:01
From mailer-daemon
To henry, jr.
Re: RE:
Now if you like.

On Jun 30, 2014, at 10:49 PM, "Henry Louis Gates, Jr." <hlg@fas.harvard.edu> wrote:

When is good for you?

From: Lynton, Michael [mailto:Michael_Lynton@spe.sony.com]
Sent: Monday, June 30, 2014 5:47 PM
To: Henry Louis Gates, Jr.
Subject: Re:

Sure. In Europe. When do you want to talk?

On Jun 30, 2014, at 10:23 PM, "Henry Louis Gates, Jr." <hlg@fas.harvard.edu> wrote:

PBS asked me (Michael Kantor) to make a documentary in the American Masters series about Michael Jackson. Can we find time to talk about this, especially Quincy’
----------------------------------------------------

Michael Jackson and American Masters sounds good to me:)
I don't know about that program, maybe fans in US can tell whether it a good series?

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters/about-the-series/introduction/14/

It better be good. Focus on Michael's creative genius too, not just him as a performer.

Even though this is a great idea,, I simply don't wanna hear anything else Quincy Jones has to say about Michael Jackson.

THIS IS WONDERFUL NEWS!!!! :jump:
The producers usually produce excellent documentaries.

Oh, that sounds great..., but why dont they do this for MJ earlier?
Here is the A-Z List of American Masters - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Masters

I suppose because all the controversies around MJ?

I was looking at the list of people they had done, documentary of MJ should definitely be on that list.

I saw "Jimi Hendrix: Hear My Train A Comin'" a while ago and thought it was good. It was made by these American Masters crowd.

Bubs;4087854 said:
I suppose because all the controversies around MJ?

I was looking at the list of people they had done, documentary of MJ should definitely be on that list.

I saw "Jimi Hendrix: Hear My Train A Comin'" a while ago and thought it was good. It was made by these American Masters crowd.

Yeah, you are right, the controversies...

To me its been like "an apology" for anything MJ related not to publish or make a documentary, like: oh Jackson, that Jackson, Michael Jackson, well... yeah... but... you know.... the controversies....

But the controversies have been purposely created since the 1990´s, today I personally dont believe in such "coincidences"... that the controversy here and there...

ILoveHIStory;4087877 said:
Yeah, you are right, the controversies...

To me its been like "an apology" for anything MJ related not to publish or make a documentary, like: oh Jackson, that Jackson, Michael Jackson, well... yeah... but... you know.... the controversies....

But the controversies have been purposely created since the 1990´s, today I personally dont believe in such "coincidences"... that the controversy here and there...

I'm not sure whether I get you, but I meant that people were less willing to do any good documentaries of MJ when he was brutally abused by media, and maybe these doc makers though that they cannot sell this kind of documentary to any tv channels, maybe they thought they are going to be ridiculed by media for making such as documentary. Lets face it, it was not "fashionable" to portray MJ other than freak among other things, and that bully attitude stayed til the day MJ died. Now it is kind of safe to do those, because there are now more tabloid trash of MJ. From now on, his musical legacy will be on front, rather than back burner as it used to be for years.

No, American Masters is on PBS-Public Broadcasting System, our educational channel. It's where all the "high-brow" shows are seen. :)

American Masters is an excellent series and it's different docs on various artists-authors, musicians, singers, painters, photographers, filmmakers, actors/actresses, etc. Most of the time, they're really good-I've only been disappointed in a couple I've seen.

Michael Kantor, the producer mentioned in this memo, produced a couple of my favorite docs about Broadway for PBS Series Great Performances.

There's a wealth of material on YouTube alone with people discussing Michael's importance in American culture-from Joe Vogel to Questlove, etc. This could be excellent, if done right. I read the transcript of the Quincy Jones one the other day, and forgot how good it was-and decided to order the DVD of it on Amazon.

Oh, and PBS is also responsible for the Frontline Series- their show, "The Tabloid Truth" about the origins of the tabloid press, how it turned from London tabloids to American TV shows and how our mainstream media had turned into nothing but yellow journalism for a paycheck and used the Michael Jackson/Chandler case for its example of how putrid journalism had become.

Back