MJ’s smartest move

mj_frenzy

Proud Member
Country
Greece
Which is the smartest move that Michael Jackson has ever made during his career?

(in the field of art and/or business)

One smart move he did was part ways with Quincy Jones. I'm not putting Quincy down, and I appreciate his contribution to the three albums he worked with Michael on, but if Michael had stayed with Quincy (Like so many people wanted) he wouldn't have grown more as an artist

I think the brothers leaving Motown and later on Michael deciding to focus on his solo career (which included firing Joe as his manager) were decisions that both impacted his creative and business life tremendously.

Buying the Beatles Catalogue, of course :)

Indeed, a valuable agreement.

One smart move he did was part ways with Quincy Jones. I'm not putting Quincy down, and I appreciate his contribution to the three albums he worked with Michael on, but if Michael had stayed with Quincy (Like so many people wanted) he wouldn't have grown more as an artist

Interesting point of view.

I think the brothers leaving Motown and later on Michael deciding to focus on his solo career (which included firing Joe as his manager) were decisions that both impacted his creative and business life tremendously.

I think that it was to some extent inevitable (although I believe that MJ owned largely his perfectionism to his father).

I agree about going solo and buying the Beatles' catalogue but I'd also add to hire John Branca as his lawyer. John also made possible the catalogue deal.

As personal smart move, leaving his father and siblings out of his will and naming Branca and McClain as his Estate executors. The Estate would be broke if it was run by the Jacksons and they'd release crap projects.

No, if had stayed, then the media would hounded him, he wouldn't have recovered.

Shelving his demos, cause he knew and had passion that he could do better.

This technically not fair but if he was still alive, e was planning on purchasing Marvel Comics and predicted what has actually happened to it's success in currently. So in hindsight it was a good idea.

His smartest move is filming everything on tape. From recording sessions to rehearsals to concerts to private videos. I'm just naming the Dangerous tour & This Is It rehearsals for instance.

Doggone;4090135 said:
His smartest move is filming everything on tape. From recording sessions to rehearsals to concerts to private videos. I'm just naming the Dangerous tour & This Is It rehearsals for instance.

That type of recording had also practical reasons.

For example, filming each one of his live performances (while touring) was also a way to spot & eliminate his mistakes from oncoming shows…

He made so many smart moves.

1. He bought not only Beatles - but a HUGE song catalog.

2. He used such amazing directors to all his videos. - Martin Scorssese, John Landis, Spike Lee, Stan Winston etc. etc.

3. He took control over his own carrer. - Both musicly and finansely. - He left the brothers, got creative control and fired his father. - ALL smart moves for his carreer and economy.

4. The smartest/best move he made was his perfectionism. - He made perfect albums - therefor they sold great and made a lot of money. - He also made perfect tours - which made a lot of money. He new his art was his legacy - but also that music made him money. - In the Tommy Mottola hate speech he said something about how he outsmarted them. - So he was well aware how much money he made from his music - and therefore it should be perfect.

He made so many smart moves.

1. He bought not only Beatles - but a HUGE song catalog.

2. He used such amazing directors to all his videos. - Martin Scorssese, John Landis, Spike Lee, Stan Winston etc. etc.

3. He took control over his own carrer. - Both musicly and finansely. - He left the brothers, got creative control and fired his father. - ALL smart moves for his carreer and economy.

4. The smartest/best move he made was his perfectionism. - He made perfect albums - therefor they sold great and made a lot of money. - He also made perfect tours - which made a lot of money. He new his art was his legacy - but also that music made him money. - In the Tommy Mottola hate speech he said something about how he outsmarted them. - So he was well aware how much money he made from his music - and therefore it should be perfect.

The general public is (largely) unaware of the fact that MJ was also a shrewd businessman.

^ this, pretty much. The Greenberg book, Michael Jackson, Inc., does a fantastic job of summarizing Michael's business sense and the impact he had on branding, merchandising, and foresight. I especially loved it because I'm a business person myself and almost always liked his sleek deals, so it was cool to see them all strung together - especially since many influenced others later down the road.

The only thing is that Michael made many, many good moves over the years, so which one would be the smartest? Maybe just being steadfast and confident, and not backing down out of a deal he knew wasn't right.

He was his most successful artistically with Quincy, his most full adult oriented album regarding theme and subject matter was Thriller

To me, it was a series of smart moves, all made by gut instinct and before he was even 21. Auditioning for and getting the part in the Wiz, hiring Quincy, and hiring John Branca.

Those moves alone helped him realize the dreams that he had been working so tirelessly his whole life to prepare for.

Hiring Frank a few years later was icing on the cake.

Hiring QJ as a producer was smart, not having him as his only producer and working with others (or solo) was smarter.

his most full adult oriented album regarding theme and subject matter was Thriller

Mmmmmmmm I don't know about that...

(warning crude humor ahead ;) )

Bad is about being confident with yourself, bringing change from within, then going home and getting some with two-faced bitches
Dangerous is about how the world is ****ed up but there's still hope, then going home and getting some with two-faced bitches
HIStory is about how the world is probably really screwed now, wow such anger, holy shit racism is still rampant this is gross, why are children still being murdered, then going home and not getting some 'cause he kicked that bitch out, since she leaked everything to the tabloids
Invincible is about starting a family, being better than all the shit he went through, then going home and trying to get some but those bitches are playing hard to get, damn

Off the Wall and Thriller are about that girl wants to party all the time party all the time party all the time but she won't put out so he takes her to a scary movie instead to make her vulnerable, then stops a gang fight on the way home so he's all manly and heroic 'cause violence ain't cool, then finally nails her at the end of the album - after stealing her from Sir Paul.

Mmmmmmmm I don't know about that...

(warning crude humor ahead ;) )

Bad is about being confident with yourself, bringing change from within, then going home and getting some with two-faced bitches
Dangerous is about how the world is ****ed up but there's still hope, then going home and getting some with two-faced bitches
HIStory is about how the world is probably really screwed now, wow such anger, holy shit racism is still rampant this is gross, why are children still being murdered, then going home and not getting some 'cause he kicked that bitch out, since she leaked everything to the tabloids
Invincible is about starting a family, being better than all the shit he went through, then going home and trying to get some but those bitches are playing hard to get, damn

Off the Wall and Thriller are about that girl wants to party all the time party all the time party all the time but she won't put out so he takes her to a scary movie instead to make her vulnerable, then stops a gang fight on the way home so he's all manly and heroic 'cause violence ain't cool, then finally nails her at the end of the album - after stealing her from Sir Paul.

:hysterical: BANG ON :hysterical:

Please explain.

The proof is in the pudding

Thriller sold 47 million worldwide during its actual run

25 million in america alone

When Thriller was initially released, its support came from R&B and adult contemporary radio stations based off of what he accomplished with Off The Wall

Adults were buying that album, especially after Billie Jean hit #1 on both the black music charts and then pop radio that followed, the song was already ar the top before he performed it on Motown 25, when he said, he liked the new songs, it was adults in that audience who were screaming for him to perform billie jean. Then after, when he released the videos fir billie jean and beat it, thats when the teenagers started buying Thriller and from that point on, he had a great balance of support from adults and teenagers alike.

That ended with the Bad album and the record sales reflected that

Back