The Russell Brand Podcast

ChrisC

Guests
Any listeners of this on AudioBoom?

I think they're up to episode 18 now but I'm a bit behind at episode 7. It's Russell Brand and his long-time comedic collaborator Matt Morgan engaging in fairly informal chatter. It's usually hilarious. However...

I was listening to episode 7 this morning on the way to work and was pretty disappointed to hear Matt Morgan label Michael Jackson a paedophile as if it was some known fact. When Russell asked him if there was any evidence of that Matt stated that Michael had paid loads of kids off and plied them with alcohol in order to molest them. He then began to rhyme off all the evidence against him, something like "One, he called wine 'Jesus Juice'".

It annoys me that seemingly intelligent people will flat out believe any unsubstantiated data about Michael. And that people can regurgitate the alleged on public media, unchallenged, as if it were undisputed fact. He was so dismissive when Russell asked if there was any evidence - and the tone he used, very all-knowing and dismissive, is one that suggests he is keen for those around him to immediately accept what he is saying without looking any further into it. I took some solace in that as anyone confident in their beliefs needn't use such a coercive tactic - facts speak for themselves.

Anyway, listeners frequently email in and in subsequent episodes said emails are read aloud and discussed. I can only hope in Episode 8 that people did email in to challenge his ignorant attitude. If not, I'll send one myself.

Last edited:
^^You weren't aware of Russell Brand telling Michael Jackson molestation jokes at the Eddie Murphy tribute a year or two ago?

They cut it for US TV but I certainly read about it. Eddie did not laugh but he winced and it went over like a lead balloon. Russell is scum.

Write that email.

I don't know who these people are (nor do I care after reading this), but yeah, send that e-mail. Unfortunately 20+ years of media brainwash will result in some people believing lies that are repeated often enough.

I wouldn't call Russell scum. hes quite wealthy yet he is using his voice to amplify inequality. i think it comes down to the fact that the reason we know the truth is because we have looked in to it after liking MJs music so it doesn;t feel like a chore to us. for people who aren't a fan whilst its bad to spread lies its quite understandable they would because he have no interest in him, so they'll just believer whatever they find.

I don't like that Russell has told nasty jokes about MJ but I do like that he challenged Matt Morgan by asking him about evidence. That's a good thing, it's not exactly popular to question people who have the opinion that MJ is guilty, it usually results in people concluding that you're a horrible person for doubting "victims". They can't seem to wrap their heads around the concept that you don't believe the people are in fact victims.

I wouldn't call Russell scum. hes quite wealthy yet he is using his voice to amplify inequality. i think it comes down to the fact that the reason we know the truth is because we have looked in to it after liking MJs music so it doesn;t feel like a chore to us. for people who aren't a fan whilst its bad to spread lies its quite understandable they would because he have no interest in him, so they'll just believer whatever they find.

Those people are stupid, frankly. Why should you blindly accept everything you read as truth? Isn't that a little naive? I'm not a fan of a lot of people I read about in the media but it doesn't mean when a negative story comes out that I go around repeating that horrible s**t about them and presenting it as fact. It's really dangerous.

Though I do think that 'FBI story' that came out was incredibly damaging and misleading.

And I agree about Russell on the whole.

I wouldn't call Russell scum. hes quite wealthy yet he is using his voice to amplify inequality.
Well, good for Russell Brand about the inequality thing-always glad to hear people speak out on this. The divide between the haves and have nots has become ridiculously wide now-and getting more so every day.

However, I find any jokes about child molestation, a heinous crime, horrendous and the person who makes them is scummy in my book. Whether they're about Michael or not.

Chris, don't know how that came out-if Russell and the radio audience just accepted the Jesus Juice and so called FBI files as evidence-it's odd to me that something that I recognized as tabloid trash 20 years ago can get recycled now, and supposedly intelligent people just say OK. If you send him an email, I'd just copy over the CNN story tearing the report apart as lies. I found it for you.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/03/showbiz/michael-jackson-files/

^He didn't specifically reference the FBI story however I have a feeling that's where this myth about him paying loads of kids off came from.

I'll have a look at that link, thanks.

^He didn't specifically reference the FBI story however I have a feeling that's where this myth about him paying loads of kids off came from.

It probably is, that story made it to news outlets here in Australia that are usually reputable, one things like that happen more people think it's the truth. It's infuriatingly frustrating.

Back