MJ: The Genius of Michael Jackson By Steve Knopper

Bubs

Proud Member
The ultimate critical biography of the King of Pop: a panoramic, vivid, and incisive portrait of Michael Jackson that explores and celebrates his influence in music, dance, and popular culture, drawing on 400 interviews.

From the moment in 1965 when he first stepped on stage with his brothers at a local talent show in Gary, Indiana, Michael Jackson was destined to become the undisputed King of Pop. In a career spanning four decades, Jackson became a global icon, selling over 400 million albums, earning thirteen Grammy awards, and spinning dance moves that captivated the world. Songs like “Billie Jean” and “Black and White” altered our national discussion of race and equality, and Jackson’s signature aesthetic, from the single white glove to the moonwalk, defined a generation. Despite years of scandal and controversy, Jackson’s ultimate legacy will always be his music.

Rolling Stone contributing editor Steve Knopper delves deeply into Michael Jackson’s music and talent. From the artist’s early days with the Jackson 5, to his stratospheric success as a solo artist, to “Beat It” and “Thriller,” “Bad” and “The Man in the Mirror,” to his volatile final years, his attempted comeback, and untimely death, Knopper explores the beguiling and often contradictory forces that fueled Michael Jackson’s genius. Drawing on an amazing 400 interviews—ranging from Jackson’s relatives, friends, and key record executives to celebrities like will.i.am and Weird Al Yankovic—this critical biography puts all the elements of his career into perspective, and celebrates his triumph in art and music. This is a rare and panoramic view into the genius and influence of an incomparable talent.

See more at: http://books.simonandschuster.com/M...ve-Knopper/9781476730370#sthash.PjbLWZfD.dpuf
---------------------------------------

PS, Hopefully this book is nothing like Cry Babe Sullivan's book, who also was Rolling Stone contributor.

I am a bit distrustful of anything RS or one of its journalists has to write about Michael, since they never got him as an artist, but I'm giving it the benefit of doubt for now and I want read some fan reviews first.

I am a bit distrustful of anything RS or one of its journalists has to write about Michael, since they never got him as an artist, but I'm giving it the benefit of doubt for now and I want read some fan reviews first.

Yeah, I'm totally with you on this. I'd be very interested if there wasn't a Rolling Stone connect. Definitely a wait and see of fan reviews for me.

I'll be reading this for sure. :reading: I read everything published about him.

This one cannot be that bad as he writes
"undisputed King of Pop" :yes:

There have been RS writers that have crowned new KOP every so often, but this writer seems to have more sense than some of the RS writers.

Personally I'm expecting that he has done his research through and throughout, and don't expect any sort of "ooh I love Michael" book, only honest detailed look as how MJ become MJ.

Ps, https://twitter.com/knopps/with_replies
He is answering questions from MJ fans

Last edited:
http://www.amazon.com/MJ-Michael-Ja...-1&keywords=MJ:+The+Genius+of+Michael+Jackson

mj-the-genius-of-michael-jackson-9781476730370_lg.jpg

knopps @knopps · 3 h ago

@TheMJAP @Dullard101 @JoeVogel1 @JRTaraborrelli I know. My intent was to celebrate his music/dance/performance in a respectful way

The biased and racist treatment Michael has been subjected over the the years by the RS writers has me skeptical but I wouldn't mind proven wrong. I hope he keeps his words but I remain skeptical until reading fan reviews.

Same. I love reading about Michael and critical essays/biographies can be interesting and enlightening. I hope they treat him well, unlike the way RS did during 2009.

I'll wait and see how it is reviewed, speak with other close MJ fans I know if they've read it, or what they think about it, and then buy it if it seems harmless enough.

Hm... He says he liked Sullivan's opus...

I'm cautious about this. The thing is, if you are doing a well-researched book, the fan community would know you BEFORE it's announced. Fans knew Joe Vogel by his articles on MJ before he published MITM. Fans knew D.amien S.hields by his articles on MJ. Fans knew Adrian Grant by his fanzine. You know what I mean? When there is a guy (especially a RS journalist) that suddenly pops up with 450 interviews he somehow pulled under the rug, it's suspicious. He may have the best of intentions, but it's just so easy to go wrong with Michael if you aren't immersed in the subject enough to know good sources from BS sources...

I'm hopeful, I want it to be good, but I'm skeptical. We'll see.

morinen;4090541 said:
Hm... He says he liked Sullivan's opus...

Do you mean this bit of his twitter convo:

knopps @knopps · 13h 13 hours ago
knopps retweeted Sam @TheMJAP
I read it and agree.
Sam @TheMJAP @TheMJAP
@Dullard101 @knopps @JoeVogel1 I actually thought the Randalll Sullivan book (I didn't finish it) was pretty incredible re posthumous info.

He actually doesn't say he liked it. He agrees with this MJ fan who says Sullivan's information re posthumous in the book was incredible.

That Sullivan book is for the most part full of crap and innuendo Michael did something inappropriate to Jordan, I even dismiss the good parts of it (it may just be me) but it's not worth anyone's time.

I'm now more concerned where he could get his sources and my skepticism grew.

He actually doesn't say he liked it. He agrees with this MJ fan who says Sullivan's information re posthumous in the book was incredible.

Yeah, it may have been my not being a native speaker - I understood "incredible" as "unbelievably good."

I guess it could also mean amazing or unbelievable. I won't read Sullivan's book bc of the interviews he gave and I watched. He was full of garbage.
So imagine his book was the same.
Hadn't heard anything about this one til today.

MJ was a genius - hope the book does him justice...

We're gonna find out if that book is respectful to Michael or not, that's for sure. If it's respectful, then get it, but if it's not then don't.

We're gonna find out if that book is respectful to Michael or not, that's for sure. If it's respectful, then get it, but if it's not then don't.

My thought exactly.

If it is some tabloid B.S. no one should by it. - People shall not make money on bashing MJ.

If it is only correct it is ok for me to include some of the not so smart thing MJ did. - But lies and speculation should not be included...

Theresa B ?@tabccb May 18
@DBAnderson1 Will Knopper, a Rolling Stone writer, be fair and accurate about MJ? RS has a very negative writing history with MJ.

D.B.Anderson ?@DBAnderson1 May 18
@tabccb I have no idea! What has he written? Got any links?

knopps ?@knopps May 19
@DBAnderson1 @tabccb since you asked: http://knopps.com/sarticles.html . I cover the music business for RS, but RS has no editorial input in this book.

D.B.Anderson
?@DBAnderson1
@knopps @tabccb Welcome to the MJ writers club Steve, where all of us are compared to and judged by the failings of our predecessors :)

knopps @knopps · 18 Min. ago

RIP Louis Johnson, great "Thriller" bassist and Brothers Johnson funk pioneer. Gave funny, insightful interview for my #MichaelJackson bio.

I hope it will not be the usual gushing about Thriller, OTW and maybe a little about Bad and then ignoring or trashing everything else. Journalists should start being open to his later work as well.

If someone could report back on this for the fans. I intend to buy it if it isn't the usual Rolling Stone racist garbage.

Oh dear me. Seemingly this author has interviewed Demon Dimond for this book:no:

I copy some twitter conversations that he had with some people:
xxx May 23
@knopps I hope your book truly isn't tabloid. RS has always been nasty towards Michael. Let's hope you aren't. ??

He replied:
knopps ?@knopps May 24
@xxxxx I don't think so. My editor keeps using the word "celebration." I avoided tabloid sources.

My question is that does he really have to search sewer rats from gutters to find people to interview for his book?
Demon is the worst kind of so called human, and worse than any tabloid: she invents stories, she lies and no doubt she would kill if need to, and this guy interviews her to this book!
Do we really need to hear more of her shite and is there anything else that she has said it yet?

Tweets about Demon:
xxx Jun 10
@knopps I noticed you are reading Diane Dimond's twitter. Did you cooperated with her or used her conclusions when wrote your book about MJ?

knopps ?@knopps Jun 10
@xxx You are paying close attention! I interviewed Dimond as one of many sources (Mesereau too). What do you mean by "cooperated"?

xxx Jun 10
@knopps Strange choice. Dimond is one of the most lying and tabloid sources. Some of numerous evidences here: http://huff.to/bLUcE6

knopps ?@knopps Jun 10
@xxx You understand interviewing somebody /= parroting their views, right?

He said that his editor says the book is about celebration, but if Demon is interviewed, then it cannot be celebration. Demon is like vulture that kept coming back at Michael to gnaw some more of his bones when there was nothing left. I see no purpose of her interview :puke:(You can probably see that I cannot stand mentioning of her name without seeing red).

Last edited:
Gosh, Dimond? A big red flag indeed. If the purpose was to celebrate MJ's legacy what need there is to interview Dimond for that? I hope he does not neglect to mention Dimond's history with MJ (the proven lies she told about him, the Victor Guiterrez lawsuit etc. etc.) Why would you want an utterly discredited "source" like that in a book that is supposed to celebrate MJ's legacy? And if he thinks he can interview Dimond and then claim to have avoided tabloid sources (Dimond is as tabloid as it gets) then he did not do his homework very well about who is who in MJ's world, I am afraid. Also I thought this was supposed to focus on the music. So what is Dimond needed for? Ugh. Bad news. I'm starting to fear this is not going to be any better than the usual Rolling Stone crap on MJ, but wait and see. Well, if it's another trash book fans can express their opinion about it by not buying it.

Last edited:
Well, he just singlehandedly destroyed his book sales. Just like Sullivan did with his own book tour interviews. No fan involvement needed.

Another book to avoid and to not support but I'd like to read reviews to know why such a sleazebag who is on the map when makes up crap about Michael. How do you celebrate him involving one of the most revolting creatures Michael had to deal with?

It defies logic how these seemingly professional scribes who by their nature need to be good researchers to work on their respective books, cannot GET or understand the history of Michael Jackson. If they had any common sense at all they would interview the fans, or ppl such as Vogel or others that know the ins and outs of his life. If this guy would have done his proper and thorough research he would have NEVER had ANYTHING to do with Diamond. :beee:

I like the comment an author tweeted to him by saying "welcome to the club where we are judged by the failings of our predecessors."

Isn't that the truth? It would only take about 5 minutes of research to know what or who is tabloid trash if you weren't aware already.

Back