Michael Jackson Bollywood Mashup Goes Viral (Video)

Paris78

Proud Member
Donations
$240.00
Michael Jackson's 1979 classic hit "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough” has been mashed up with Bollywood hit track “Chaiyya Chaiyya,” which was featured in the 1998 film Dil Se, starring Shah Rukh Khan.

The resulting video has gone viral, not only garnering more than 430,000 views its first four days but also impressing Khan, who tweeted the link to the YouTube video to his 13 million-plus followers.

“Chaiyya Chaiyya” was composed by Oscar- and Grammy-winning composer A. R. Rahman (Slumdog Millionaire). The track was featured in a sequence in Dil Se featuring Khan and a troupe led by actress Malaika Arora Khan dancing atop a moving train. “Chaiyya Chaiyya” also crossed over to Hollywood when it was used in the opening and closing credits of Spike Lee's 2006 film Inside Man with Denzel Washington.

The Jackson mashup project came about after American artists Kurt Hugo-Schneider, Sam Tsui, Shankar Tucker and Indian vocalist Vidya Iyer met up at the second YouTube Fan Fest in Mumbai in March.

Hugo-Schneider's popular YouTube channel features his productions for various artists, including vocalist Tsui. One of their earlier popular videos features a medley of Jackson songs rendered by Tsui, whose vocal style is similar to the King of Pop. Tucker is a clarinetist and music composer known for his online music series The Shruti Box, which fuses jazz with Indian music. His collaborations with various artists include Iyer.

The "Chaiyya Chaiyya/Don't Stop Mashup" video begins with Iyer's upbeat rendition of “Chaiyya Chaiyya” followed by Tsui's take on “Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough.” The video shows the artists at various Mumbai locations, including the city's latest landmark, the Bandra-Worli sealink.

Last year, another Jackson track was given an Indian twist. Timed with the Indian release of Jackson's posthumous album Xscape, the first track of the album, the Jackson-Justin Timberlake collaboration “Love Never Felt So Good,” was reworked by the Bombay Flip Project, an ensemble of four young artists. The cover version included English lyrics interspersed with Hindi vocals, peppered with the sounds of the traditional Indian tabla.

Watch the "Chaiyya Chaiyya/Don't Stop Mashup" video below:

[video=youtube;yHA9lxVhNdo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHA9lxVhNdo[/video]

billboard@billboard

Watch the amazing Michael Jackson/Bollywood mashup that's going viral: http://blbrd.cm/XRjwuf (via @THR)

url

As someone who is a huge lover of both Michael and Bollywood. I just totally L.O.V.E. it. Especially since Chaiyya is one of my most favorite Bollywood songs. I just so totally L.O.V.E. seeing Shahrukh dancing to that song. On top of a moving train in the 1998 movie Dil Se.

I really enjoyed this and have watched it multiple times. Such a uniquely different combination of musical instruments (for me).

Back