Michael makes the Top Ten-list of the "Most played artists 2014" in UK

Annita

Proud Member
http://www.music-news.com/ShowNews.asp?nItemID=89968

The PPL People's Artist Chart 2014
British music had a fantastic 2014, with three of the top five most played artists being from the UK. Coldplay's new material, the emergence of Sam Smith and Ed Sheeran's return all resulted in domestic success, but it is 2014's Queen of Pop Katy Perry who reigns supreme at number one. Her two huge hits 'Roar' and 'Dark Horse' in particular received significant airplay throughout 2014, taking her to the top of this chart.

1. Katy Perry
2. Coldplay
3. Ed Sheeran
4. Sam Smith
5. OneRepublic
6. Rihanna
7. Clean Bandit
8. Avicii
9. Olly Murs
10. Michael Jackson

I never seem to hear MJ being played on the radio - I must be listening to the wrong stations!

Is there a reason this chart has been published half-way through 2015?

I guess MJ's continued presence on radio was only bolstered by Love Never Felt So Good being a radio hit.

Impressive.

Always nice to see MJ on these lists. :)

katy perry is the most horrible artist for me. how on earth..

I guess MJ's continued presence on radio was only bolstered by Love Never Felt So Good being a radio hit.

It is sure not the main reason. You doesn`t see Justin Timberlake on the list. And LNFSG isn`t in the Top 10 of the most played songs in the UK. On the ohter hand Pharell Williams who had with Happy the most played song didn`t make the Top Ten List of the most played arttist in the UK. Obviously Michael had a brighter spectrum of songs which are played in the UK-radio and isn`t focussed on one hit. For Germany I can say raido plays many diffrent songs from his catalog.

The PPL People's Pop Chart 2014
At number one is 'Happy' by Pharrell Williams, which penetrated the public's consciousness last year, becoming an anthem for the ages. Clean Bandit's 'Rather Be' ' which debuted at number one in the UK Singles Chart and spent several weeks at the top spot ' is at number two, whilst 'Ghost', the debut single by British artist Ella Henderson - which also spent several weeks at number one ' is at number three. In this top ten chart, four of the top ten most played pop songs are by UK artists.

1. Happy ' Pharrell Williams
2. Rather Be ' Clean Bandit ft. Jess Glynne
3. Ghost ' Ella Henderson
4. Counting Starts ' OneRepublic
5. All Of Me ' John Legend
6. Stay With Me ' Sam Smith
7. Roar ' Katy Perry
8. Sing ' Ed Sheeran
9. Rude ' Magic!
10. Hey Brother ' Avicii

It is sure not the main reason. You doesn`t see Justin Timberlake on the list. And LNFSG isn`t in the Top 10 of the most played songs in the UK. On the ohter hand Pharell Williams who had with Happy the most played song didn`t make the Top Ten List of the most played arttist in the UK. Obviously Michael had a brighter spectrum of songs which are played in the UK-radio and isn`t focussed on one hit. For Germany I can say raido plays many diffrent songs from his catalog.

I agree with you. Same goes with Ireland, they played loads of other songs from MJ's catalogue before LNFSG was out, and continue to play other songs. It just shows Michael's music stands test of time:clapping:

bolster[SUP]1[/SUP]
?b??lst?/
verb
past tense: bolstered; past participle: bolstered
support or strengthen.
"the fall in interest rates is starting to bolster confidence"
synonyms:strengthen, support, reinforce, make stronger, boost, fortify, give a boost to; More

^^or the other way around. Since the UK constantly plays Michael's catalog, that bolstered the interest in LNFSG and it also became a radio hit.

I agree with you. Same goes with Ireland, they played loads of other songs from MJ's catalogue before LNFSG was out, and continue to play other songs. It just shows Michael's music stands test of time:clapping:

Same here in the Netherlands. We have the radio on at work all day and I hear at least 1-2 MJ songs every day from all different eras. Just today I heard Rock With You, Smooth Criminal and Beat It. There is a McDonald's next door and I guess the person managing it must be an MJ fan because they play his music ALL THE TIME. It's little things like this that remind me just how popular MJ is because you don't often hear other music from the 70s/80s/90s on mainstream pop radio. I can't even remember the last time I heard a Madonna or Prince song on the radio.

Same here in the Netherlands. We have the radio on at work all day and I hear at least 1-2 MJ songs every day from all different eras. Just today I heard Rock With You, Smooth Criminal and Beat It.

That's amazing - I wish I could find a radio station like that.

I usually listen to Radio 2 here in the UK, and they never seem to play any. They were listening to a station called Key 103 today at work though and Man in the Mirror came on. I can't believe how happy it made me!

These charts aren't just about radio play. Ppl is the body who license music in all public places.

PPL, the music licensing company that works on behalf of record companies and performers to license recorded music played in public (at pubs, nightclubs, restaurants, shops, offices and many other business types) and broadcast (TV and radio) has today published its annual 'People's Charts' of the most played Pop, Artist and Classical charts of 2014.

PPL's 'People's Charts' are compiled from music usage data from PPL's licensees across the UK: including radio stations and television channels as well as businesses such as pubs, clubs, bars, gyms and shops, amongst many other business types. The charts are annually released in June at the company's AGM, which this year takes place on 3 June at King's Place, London.

That's amazing - I wish I could find a radio station like that.

I usually listen to Radio 2 here in the UK, and they never seem to play any. They were listening to a station called Key 103 today at work though and Man in the Mirror came on. I can't believe how happy it made me!

I listen to "Smooth" radio, an UK based radio and they play a lot of Michael's numbers :blush: even the less popular ones. Therefor, I love that radio ;)

I have heard of Smooth but never listened because I always thought it was jazz!:doh:

I am definitely going to give it a try now, though.

Always good to see MJ's name on these kind of lists but I don't listen to the radio any more,just Spotify now but I used to some years ago phone into a local radio station on their all request lunch and ask for Michael everyday,people in my City who knew me used to say to me all the time,heard you on the radio today again.....the DJ was also a fan so that helped in getting Michael on that show on a daily basis.:)

I listen to Heart and I've Michael on there hearing Billie Jean first thing in the morning always puts you in a good mood

Back