Would you be interested in hearing a posthumous duet between Michael and Janet?

• Yes

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • No

Votes: 17 53.1%

• Total voters

Tygger

Proud Member
My New York, U.S. friend has dared me to create this thread after our discussion and I have accepted the challenge.

If a moderator would please be so kind as to convert this thread into a poll thread, it would be appreciated.

Past duets are Scream from History and Shout (intended for Invincible):

My decision (and vote if this will be a poll thread) was yes and I chose this seemingly appropriate song. An inspired producer may have Notorious B.I.G. posthumously duet with a current female rapper/singer.

I am interested in knowing others' thoughts on this. It would be a dream come true in my view.

I wouldn't be against it if the original Michael only version would be released too.

Can someone give me some back info on shout? Am I to read that was a Janet duet / was meant to be / or you would like it to be? I'm kind of glad it didn't make it on the record, as I have absolutely zero idea of what he is saying the entire song except for the chorus. Haha.

girl ain't nobody know what Michael is actually saying n that song ;) I can pick out like two verses maaaybe

I need that rage comic of someone trying to sing along to it because it's perfect ha.

That being said - I'm not sure how I'd feel about a posthumous duet. I get the feeling that wouldn't be Janet's groove, and really painful for her to hear. Although to my delight she performs Scream (my mind melted when I saw it on Number Ones!) so I could be wrong. The difference is though that even Michael performed it live without her, so that could be the thing she's comfortable doing, as it was something they actually did together. I don't know about a new track - IMO that seems more of a Jermaine/LaToya thing to do.

But what's this about Shout being a duet with her from the outset?! Is there something I'm missing? I mean I know no one knows what goes on in that song but I'm pretty sure I've never heard J?!

Galactus123, suppose it is a song already released by Michael? If it is unreleased material as Xscape was, I agree.

TinnyandOdd, Reibish, "this is not your ordinary record." There is a second vocalist on Shout; tis Janet. They sound so similar it is difficult to discern but, the second voice is definitely female and heard easily in the third verse. Teddy Riley is the producer. Lyrics are amazing; I believe Michael may have written it or co-written the song with others. Slash!

I believe it was supposed to be release with Cry outside of the U.S. Can anyone confirm? It was supposed to be replaced with You Are My Life on Invincible but I cannot confirm this either.

Reibish, why do you believe Latoya would release a posthumous duet? Jermaine and Janet both had successful duets with Michael but I do not believe Jermaine would release a posthumous duet with his brother. I believe it would be grand opportunity if Janet did. My preference is Michael's Unbreakable.

There is a second vocalist on Shout; tis Janet. They sound so similar it is difficult to discern but, the second voice is definitely female and heard easily in the third verse. Teddy Riley is the producer. Lyrics are amazing; I believe Michael may have written it or co-written the song with others. Slash!

I believe it was supposed to be release with Cry outside of the U.S. Can anyone confirm? It was supposed to be replaced with You Are My Life on Invincible but I cannot confirm this either.
Wikipedia said "Cry" was released in the UK with "Shout" on the B side, and also released with "Streetwalker" on the B side. It also says "You Are My Life" replaced it on Invincible. I don't know how accurate that is, but apparently they got it from some book.

I don't think I'd heard it before today-it's odd to hear Michael rapping like that to me-I didn't care for it because Michael has the most incredible, beautiful voice in the world and I hate hear it wasted by rapping-but loved the lyrics. I wish it were a real song with a melody. It did take about ten listens to finally hear Janet's voice on that song-but then, I'm listening to it on little computer speakers.

It occurred to me the other day when reading all the comments about Janet's tour and album, and that one of the news articles said she planned a tribute to Michael, maybe she was going to sing Michael's "Unbreakable" and put it on her album. Maybe it's not a different song with the same name at all.
So a duet with that would probably be a good idea. I'll vote yes.

Thank you moderator for adding a poll to this thread.

Wikipedia said "Cry" was released in the UK with "Shout" on the B side, and also released with "Streetwalker" on the B side. It also says "You Are My Life" replaced it on Invincible. I don't know how accurate that is, but apparently they got it from some book.

Yes, I believe information was from this book: "Michael Jackson the Solo Years" by, Craig Halstead, Chris Cadman.
https://books.google.com/books?id=y...e&q=michael jackson teddy riley shout&f=false

(By the way, the same book said there was no duet with Michael and Whitney Houston so, the tweet from Sony Legacy was strange.)

It occurred to me the other day when reading all the comments about Janet's tour and album, and that one of the news articles said she planned a tribute to Michael, maybe she was going to sing Michael's "Unbreakable" and put it on her album. Maybe it's not a different song with the same name at all.

Indeed! I was listening to Unbreakable a couple of days ago and thinking about the name of her tour. I believe it is a song that would lend well to Janet's vocals and the message in the lyrics is still very current for Michael, Janet, and so many others. My only concern would be the contemporizing of the music.

I truly hope it is a duet.

Last edited:

I think if Janet did a cover of a Michael song it would not be the name of her tour. She would name her tour after one of her original songs (or would just give a name independently from song titles), not after a cover. But we will see soon.

No, I do not want a posthumous duet with Michael and Janet.

Please feel free to state your reasoning. Could it be worse than Timberlake and/or Bieber duets heard after Michael's passing?

I think if Janet did a cover of a Michael song it would not be the name of her tour. She would name her tour after one of her original songs (or would just give a name independently from song titles), not after a cover. But we will see soon.

Janet named a previous tour after another MJ song. It was not a cover however; still the name of a MJ song despite the spelling.

janetrwy22pp9.jpg

It was actually named from her song "rockwitchu" on the Discipline album.

Imo, a posthumous duet between Janet and Michael would be hypocritical after her actions since her brother's murder. Personally, I find the thought nauseating.

Last edited:
It was actually named from her song "rockwitchu" on the Discipline album.

I understand and know the song.

I should be clear: this is not the first tour from Janet whose tour title was the same as a title of a MJ song.

Imo, a posthumous duet between Janet and Michael would be hypocritical after her actions since her brother's murder. Personally, I find the thought nauseating.

I understand you have an issue with what you perceive to be negative actions from Janet towards Michael after he passed. Putting that aside, how would such a duet be less than the fabricated duets we have heard from others that Michael never expressed any interest in doing a duet with?

MY reasons for NOT wanting a posthumous duet between Michael and Janet were stated in the previous post. That reason has nothing to do with the duet between Michael and Justin Timberlake; which by the way I LOVED. The radio stations in my city played the SOLO version more than the duet; therefore, the duet was basically an afterthought to me personally. It was well-done. It stayed true to Michael's vocals. Again, my opinion of the Michael/Justin Timberlake duet has NOTHING to do with my thoughts on a Michael/ Janet duet. I don't support a Michael/Janet duet, that's The bottom line.

Somewhereinthedark, I have no issue with your reasoning and I appreciate that you stated why. What I asked was to put the issue aside to explain why a posthumous duet with MJ/Janet would be less than the fabricated duets such as the Timberlake duet.

May I ask: feeling as you do now after Michael's passing, do you not listen to songs Michael had that featured his sister's vocals and/or Janet's You Don't Stand Another Chance that featured Michael background vocals?

I didn't know that Michael had background vocals in the song that you mentioned; however, I am not familiar with that song. Yes, I still listen/look at the " Scream" video.

Somewhereinthedark, take a listen. Michael sang backing vocals and Marlon co-wrote it and it charted well at the time.

Somewhereinthedark, take a listen. Michael sang backing vocals and Marlon co-wrote it and it charted well at the time.

I love Michael's background vocals. Thank you for making me aware of his background vocals in this song.

It's funny you post this, because I tend to find that since Michael had such a noticeable and unique voice, in whatever song I listen to that has his backround vocals, it's all I can hear.

If there were an unreleased duet song between them, I'd be interested if the Estate released it but not an artificially created one. There hasn't been any single one of that kind I haven't found forced, unnatural because most of those song didn't mean to be a duet to begin with.

TinnyandOdd, agreed however; I have not been able to catch Michael's voice in Quincy's The Dude no matter how many listens.

Snow White luvs Peter Pan, I do not believe there is an unreleased duet unless we count Shout (which I do) but, that was supposedly released with Cry (no confirmation regarding that however). The only chance for a duet would be for Janet to redo a song Michael did similar to Natalie Cole and her father's Unforgettable (which I love).

Nice to see four yes votes!

I am attempting to understand the reasoning of those voting no. Janet does not need to perform on a posthumous duet however; it would be grand to hear.

If the Estate is hell-bent on doing more of these duets, I guess Janet would not be the worst option.

Personally I have no interest in artificially created posthumous duets and I hope they do not go that route...

Tygger brought up "Unforgettable" and I remember at the time I didn't like the idea. But it turned out to be beautiful. This could too, depending on the song.

Nice to see four yes votes!

I am attempting to understand the reasoning of those voting no. Janet does not need to perform on a posthumous duet however; it would be grand to hear.

Why are you trying to understand the reasoning behind the "no" votes. The fact is that some people, including me, just do NOT want to see a posthumous duet of Michael with Janet. The bigger question is why do you EXPECT fans to vote "yes"?

me too... it would come across so fake.. she doesn't care, so why would that be done..

Personally I have no interest in artificially created posthumous duets and I hope they do not go that route...

They already have with Timberlake's LNFSG and Bieber's STTR. If Estate/Sony intend on another fabricated duet, I would hope they chose Janet.

Tygger brought up "Unforgettable" and I remember at the time I didn't like the idea. But it turned out to be beautiful. This could too, depending on the song.

Agreed; that is why I chose Unbreakable in the first post.

Why are you trying to understand the reasoning behind the "no" votes. The fact is that some people, including me, just do NOT want to see a posthumous duet of Michael with Janet. The bigger question is why do you EXPECT fans to vote "yes"?

???

An open-minded person seeks to understand an opposing view. If they believe it has merit, they eventually adopt the opposing view.

I have not been convinced a posthumous duet between Michael and Janet would be a horrid thing because their past duet(s) is(are) amazing. I am however open to hearing the opposing view.

me too... it would come across so fake.. she doesn't care, so why would that be done..

Jaydom7, putting that issue aside, there may be merit in such a duet.

I was one of the people who couldn't stand the "duet" with JT, it was successful yes but to me that version is unlistenable. The Estate didn't authorize that abomination with Beiber, it was if I'm not mistaken, L.A. Reid's doing but it wasn't Branca's or McClain's idea. I hope they don't come up with more artificial duets too. I wouldn't want to have less Michael vocals to force collaboration which the original song didn't mean to have.

While I understand the intention behind making one of her father's biggest hits a duet, I prefer the original and live version of Unforgettable with Nat King Cole only. Natalie's voice is beautiful but the duet is forced either way because it was never a duet.

No more artificial duets to me, no matter who the other performer is.

Snow White luvs Peter Pan, I am unsure how much music is left in the vaults for release. Estate/Sony may have to utilize duets if many of the songs are unfinished and/or as per Reid - paraphrasing - Michael did not sing the full song top to bottom.

Was there not rumors previously of a posthumous duet album for Michael before Xscape was released?

Yes, Unforgettable was not meant to be a duet however; I am so glad that the first instance of it being a duet was with Cole's daughter and not a random pop singer.

Back