No Tours In U.S.

Psychoniff

Proud Member
Why didn't MJ tour inside mainland U.S. for Dangerous and HiStory?

From what I understand, he planned to tour a few places in late 1993 for the Dangerous Tour, but the accusations forced him to cancel the tour early. By 1996/1997, America in general basically saw Michael as nothing more than a joke so he gave up on touring there, save for those two shows in Hawaii, the second of which he only did because the first sold out so quickly.

^^^Not true. Fans across the USA were wanting Michael to do shows here. He was manipulated by people in his inner circle that staying away from America was the right thing to do, which it wasn't. If the Hawaiian shows, and his 30th anniversary concerts in New York City were any indicator, the US still loved and supported him.

I'd imagine he cancelled any shows planned during DANGEROUS because of the accusations.

I don't know WHY he didn't tour the states for HIStory. All this nonsense about how there was no audience there or he didn't like his country anymore was so stupid.
He could have filled venues here with no problem!
Even if he didn't want to bother with creating a different stage for an arena setting, he could have just done a few stadium shows in the bigger cities.

the cancelation of the Dangerous tour was because he went to a rehabilitation Center - to focus on his health. I'm sure the accusations did not help the stress and him trying to escape from it all either.

Paul Gongaware testified that the HIStory tour was losing money and this is why Michael brought Paul in to help with this. I'm wondering if this was a significant factor. The cost of producing the HIStory tour was extremely expensive. It may have factored in to why Michael sold 50% of his Beatles catalog to Sony, for the money. Michael wasn't getting the sponsorship like he did before the allegations and so he borrowed money to finance his projects. It was one of the reasons why Michael took Sony to task after his Invincible album was released. The profitability just wasn't there. It factors in to Michael borrowing against all his assets. He wasn't making as much of a profit as before the allegations.

...around the 6 minute mark!

Michael had agreed verbally that he would tour with the Invincible album including North America - The Tour was to start in Spring 2002, Michael apparently pulled out in September/October 2001 after the terror attacks as security was hightened everywhere.

Dangerous1991;4101434 said:
Michael had agreed verbally that he would tour with the Invincible album including North America - The Tour was to start in Spring 2002, Michael apparently pulled out in September/October 2001 after the terror attacks as security was hightened everywhere.

MJ did not pull out because of the terror attacks:

“We haven't thought about it much right now, but uh, I don't want to say it's not in the works. Um, we're concentrating on a lot of different things right now. But I can't quite say.” (Michael Jackson, Online Audio Chat, October 26, 2001)

Dangerous1991;4101434 said:

Michael never agreed to tour for Invincible. That's an old wives tale.

Sony was pressuring him but he made it clear that he had no intention to tour again. 9/11 halted any touring discussions temporarily (which admittedly worked in Michael's favor) but at the end of the day he never agreed to it.

If he had, Sony undoubtedly would have made him sign a contract immediately so he couldn't back out.

mj_frenzy;4101507 said:
“We haven't thought about it much right now, but uh, I don't want to say it's not in the works. Um, we're concentrating on a lot of different things right now. But I can't quite say.” (Michael Jackson, Online Audio Chat, October 26, 2001)

Looks to me like Michael's completely evading the question.

After what he witnessed being disappointed Bad was not going to outsell Thriller, and how he saw his support had declined in North America, the handwriting was on the walk by 1989, he was never going tour in his homeland ever again

After what he witnessed being disappointed Bad was not going to outsell Thriller, and how he saw his support had declined in North America, the handwriting was on the walk by 1989, he was never going tour in his homeland ever again
I'm still going to disagree with you here, Better over in this thread.
Yeah parts of the original fan base was saying all sorts of nasty things about Michael then and so was that new post Thriller fan base.

But I watched with my own eyes how my co workers and customers begged and paid unbelievable prices for scalped tickets for Bad Tour. I watched the arena (next door to the building I worked in) even fill the SRO sections 3 nights in a row.
I laughed myself all the way to Michael's bank.

I have no doubt that Dangerous would have gone on a US leg had it not been for the Chandlers.

Last edited:

Even with the loss of some fans over the allegations, there were still far less popular artists who toured the USA successfully. I don't see this as much of a reason for MJ to not tour in America...

Even with the loss of some fans over the allegations, there were still far less popular artists who toured the USA successfully. I don't see this as much of a reason for MJ to not tour in America...

hand writing was on the wall, when Michael threw up that peace sign after performing the final show of the Bad Tour in Los Angeles in early 1989, as a fan, I knew hew as never going to tour North America (the mainland) ever again......

hand writing was on the wall, when Michael threw up that peace sign after performing the final show of the Bad Tour in Los Angeles in early 1989, as a fan, I knew hew as never going to tour North America (the mainland) ever again......

What do you mean by hand writing was on the wall? Nobody could predict what was going to happen to Michael, certainly not as early as 1989. Besides, Michael does the peace sign all the time - seriously there's hundreds and hundreds of photos of him doing it. You're making something out of nothing.

Whether Michael personally had a bias of touring in the states, or his people felt it wasn't a good financial idea to do...either reason was so dumb.
Seriously.
Michael still lived in America. His family lived in America. He wasn't turning his back on anything.
Even during Invincible era, I'm certain he could have pulled off stadium gigs in the big cities OR a relatively shorter arena tour.

History tour should have done this.
For a proper US leg of History, me thinks stadiums (not arenas) for 1 or 2 nights in each of these places (maybe 3 in LA, NY, and Mexico City):

(not in this order tho)
Hawaii
Puerto Rico
Los Angeles
Houston (or Dallas)
Denver
Chicago
New York
D.C.
Atlanta (or Miami)
Indiana (home state show!)
Toronto
Montreal
Seattle (or Vancouver)
Mexico City

lolz
oh yeah? You predicted he would never tour the mainland again in 1989? You knew he would only come back and 2 shows in Hawaii?
k.

This sounds like a complete fabrication.

You always post your opinion as if its fact. Always.

You know, as well as I do, that peace sign in 1989 meant he was never going to tour again-ANYWHERE-ever. The Bad Tour was intended to be the one and only-prove he could not only do it alone, but he was the best there ever was.

Only when the movie plans all crashed and burned, he returned to touring to fund the Heal the World foundation.

Last edited:
You know, as well as I do, that peace sign in 1989 meant he was never going to tour again-ANYWHERE-ever. The Bad Tour was intended to be the one and only-prove he could not only do it alone, but he was the best there ever was.

Only when the movie plans all crashed and burned, he returned to touring to fund the Heal the World foundation.

Michael was never going to be an actor. He had the ability to fund, or at least invest in, projects he'd want to produce or even direct. But he was never going to be a film star. Not counting his starpower overshadowing any role, he just wasn't a good actor. Actually, he was a really bad actor. His best role was when he was dressed with a bunch of prosthetic makeup to look like an overweight white man. I know the fandom probably would disagree, but seriously. Any role he was in that required acting was okay at best.

At that time, he may have felt really exhausted and never wanted to tour again. But after some time to breath, and a new era, he knew he had to tour. No one forced him with a gun to his head. It's just something you gotta do if your label pumps the promo machine into overdrive.

Michael was never going to be an actor. He had the ability to fund, or at least invest in, projects he'd want to produce or even direct. But he was never going to be a film star. Not counting his starpower overshadowing any role, he just wasn't a good actor. Actually, he was a really bad actor. His best role was when he was dressed with a bunch of prosthetic makeup to look like an overweight white man. I know the fandom probably would disagree, but seriously. Any role he was in that required acting was okay at best.

At that time, he may have felt really exhausted and never wanted to tour again. But after some time to breath, and a new era, he knew he had to tour. No one forced him with a gun to his head. It's just something you gotta do if your label pumps the promo machine into overdrive.
I don't know-I beg to differ on the acting and here's why (and I honestly am probably the only one in the fandom who thinks of him as an actor)

Yes, there have been some pretty bad acting jobs from Michael-"You Rock My World" vid and Maestro in "Ghosts" are probably 2 of the worst-and "Remember the Time" and "Captain EO aren't great, but they are both fun. But there have been some really good ones-"Say, Say, Say"-the whole character beginning to end, "Who Is It"-pain and anguish in that dark room-all over his face, just the way he sits down exudes pain. "Thriller"-again, perfect. "Leave Me Alone" is another where his face says it all.

I thought he was perfect in the Wiz-captured the heart and sensitivity and longing of the Scarecrow perfectly and the critics backed me up with that one. And where I really notice what a great actor he can be is both the video and the live performance of "Dirty Diana"-those furtive glances off stage to see where she is-Billie Jean is like that too-he acts out that whole performance with his face and his body and if you didn't understand a word of English, you'd know exactly what that song is about. And "Bad"-again, really great job.

The types of projects that he was actively lobbying for and working out deals for before and while touring BAD, were special-and I think he knew he had to be really selective with his projects because of his persona-but he was also looking for the cream of the crop in directors that could bring out the best in him-they wouldn't be able to be intimidated by him (which I think what happens with some of his work-"In the Closet" falls short with me as well as some of the ones I mentioned earlier-I think a different director would have made all the difference).
The Spielberg Peter Pan movie fell apart because of Dodi Fahed buying the rights and Spielberg having to change the premise-but I think they could have rewritten the "Hook" script better to suit Michael-it's not a lot different than the stuff he did with the kids in Moonwalker. And I really thought he would have been great as Hook himself-not Peter, the father.

And the movies he was actively lobbying for-"Edward Scissorhands" by Tim Burton and the movie musical version of "Phantom of the Opera" both would have been more than perfect for him.

I think Burton also thought that Michael (by that time) would have overshadowed his little movie, but I remember when I saw it (and cried through it) that it reminded me of Michael and later thought they stole a lot of Michael's persona for the part of Edward-down to the clothes he was wearing and his hair. Actually, just about 90% of Johnny Depp's movie characters could easily have been played by Michael-
and "Phantom" could have just been glorious.

I think the right director(s) and the right acting coach and the right parts would have made all the difference in the world-

I'm in the middle, I think he was an ok actor. He had some good performances, but he had a good fair share of bad performances too. I couldn't see him becoming an actor tbh.

I could, however, definitely see him becoming a filmmaker.

and Maestro in "Ghosts" are probably 2 of the worst

I actually think that's probably his best as far as his acting goes.

(which I think what happens with some of his work-"In the Closet" falls short with me as well as some of the ones I mentioned earlier-I think a different director would have made all the difference).

Disagree about this one as well.

Also film projects, movie plans do not necessarily have to be acting. As far as I know he would have been a partner in Dreamworks, for example, if not for the allegations. I don't think Michael was hung up on acting specifically - I think he just wanted to do anything that had to do with movies. LOL.

And the movies he was actively lobbying for-"Edward Scissorhands" by Tim Burton and the movie musical version of "Phantom of the Opera" both would have been more than perfect for him.

I think Edward Scissorhads was him. LOL. Although I think Tim Burton later said that the look was shaped after Robert Smith from The Cure.

robert_smith.jpg

Well, the look maybe, but the personality sure reminded me a lot of MJ.

I don't know-I beg to differ on the acting and here's why (and I honestly am probably the only one in the fandom who thinks of him as an actor)

Yes, there have been some pretty bad acting jobs from Michael-"You Rock My World" vid and Maestro in "Ghosts" are probably 2 of the worst-and "Remember the Time" and "Captain EO aren't great, but they are both fun. But there have been some really good ones-"Say, Say, Say"-the whole character beginning to end, "Who Is It"-pain and anguish in that dark room-all over his face, just the way he sits down exudes pain. "Thriller"-again, perfect. "Leave Me Alone" is another where his face says it all.

I thought he was perfect in the Wiz-captured the heart and sensitivity and longing of the Scarecrow perfectly and the critics backed me up with that one. And where I really notice what a great actor he can be is both the video and the live performance of "Dirty Diana"-those furtive glances off stage to see where she is-Billie Jean is like that too-he acts out that whole performance with his face and his body and if you didn't understand a word of English, you'd know exactly what that song is about. And "Bad"-again, really great job.

The types of projects that he was actively lobbying for and working out deals for before and while touring BAD, were special-and I think he knew he had to be really selective with his projects because of his persona-but he was also looking for the cream of the crop in directors that could bring out the best in him-they wouldn't be able to be intimidated by him (which I think what happens with some of his work-"In the Closet" falls short with me as well as some of the ones I mentioned earlier-I think a different director would have made all the difference).
The Spielberg Peter Pan movie fell apart because of Dodi Fahed buying the rights and Spielberg having to change the premise-but I think they could have rewritten the "Hook" script better to suit Michael-it's not a lot different than the stuff he did with the kids in Moonwalker. And I really thought he would have been great as Hook himself-not Peter, the father.

I think Burton also thought that Michael (by that time) would have overshadowed his little movie, but I remember when I saw it (and cried through it) that it reminded me of Michael and later thought they stole a lot of Michael's persona for the part of Edward-down to the clothes he was wearing and his hair. Actually, just about 90% of Johnny Depp's movie characters could easily have been played by Michael-
and "Phantom" could have just been glorious.

I think the right director(s) and the right acting coach and the right parts would have made all the difference in the world-

MJ was a terrific actor! Here's why, in interviews he could come of as really shy and reserved, listen to the tender tone of his voice or the nuances his his speech pattern and face (and we know that MJ's natural speaking voice was much deeper). Then take a look at his stage presence and short film appearances. Now what do you think? How can someone who you claim to be a bad actor so effortlessly flip the switch between being tender and unassuming to lively and exuberant? By the way Eddie Murphy and Richard Pryor are/were the exact same on stage and off stage like MJ. The Hughes brothers seem to concur http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2010/01/11/book-of-eli-director-allen-hughes-calls-michael-jackson-incredible-actor-who-got-too-weird-and-freaky/

Back