"1 on 1 with Nisha Kataria, Michael Jackson’s protege." July 4th 2015

Euan

Proud Member
nk1-horz.jpg

Spotlife Asia sat down for a 1 on 1 chat with Singer Nisha Kataria, who’s voice was described by the one and only Michael Jackson as “Like an Angel”. Nisha talks with us about her making it as a singer what’s ahead.

SA: When did you start singing and what type of training if any have you had?
NK: I started singing at the tender age of three! I have always been drawn to the spotlight. It started by imposing my way up on stage to dance along whenever Bollywood stars would come into town for their tours. Soon after, it was discovered that I could sing and I no longer had to “impose.” I had no formal training, aside from practicing proper breathing techniques to keep my vocal chords healthy.

SA: What was your childhood like, did you always know you wanted to be a singer?
NK: My childhood was worry free and filled with a lot of love and support, which still exists today, thanks to my exceptional parents! Growing up, my family knew early on that I loved being in front of an audience. Anywhere I could find an audience, my night was made! For instance, my friends and I would often times put on funny skits for our dinner guests growing up. I knew that I thrived in front of an audience, but did not discover I could sing well until the third grade! I was terribly shy at first but eventually loved singing for people.

SA: Being of Indian decent, how has that influenced your experience as a singer?
NK: Being of Indian decent has helped me to develop a very unique sound. I get to bring elements from both American and Indian music and combine them into the music that I create. It is so much fun being able to incorporate all that my culture has to offer through my music!

SA: Is there any single moment in your career which will remain with you forever, good or bad?
NK:There are so many defining moments in my career that will remain with me forever, both good and bad. Obviously, being taken under the wings of Michael Jackson, the God of my industry, was the best experience ever, for so many reasons! Not only did he train me musically, but he also taught me to always remain humble.

SA: Tell us about that moment when you found out that you will be meeting with Michael Jackson, what was going through your mind?
NK: When I was first told that I was meeting Michael Jackson, I was in complete disbelief. As the plans were made for our first meeting, I remained calm and went through the regular motions I would for any musical meeting. I didn’t want to get over excited because I kept thinking that it was not going to happen. I felt that it was too good to be true.

SA: Your voice has been described by Michael Jackson as “Like an Angel”, tell us how that made you feel.
NK: Being told by the biggest star there will ever be, that I have the voice of an angel, was the ultimate validation. With Michael’s blessing, I strive to keep being better and better and offer everything I do whole-heartily.

SA: Tell us a bit about your music, what inspires you?
NK: My music is very much “Bollywood meets Hollywood.” I incorporate musical styles from both American Pop and Hindi Pop into my own songs. I listen to all musical genres though, which helps to keep me inspired.

SA: Which artist or venue would be your “Dream Gig” to work with?
NK: Having my start with Michael Jackson was a dream. Next, I would love to work with an artist that may pick up where my mentor left off. Chris Brown, perhaps…

SA: How can fans get more of NIsha, your music albums and possible tours?
NK: I have just completed my first American produced EP and I am releasing the first single on August 29, Michael Jackson’s birthday, in his honor! I am so excited to share my music with my fans. To stay up to date with all my musical projects, please follow me on instagram and facebook! Also, subscribe to my newsletter for special surprises just for my fans at www.nishakatariamusic.comSA:

SA: Any “Bollywood” connections we can look forward to?
NK: There definitely may be Bollywood collaborations in the future!

SA:words of advise can you give to those trying to break into the music industry?
NK: My advice for anyone trying to break into the music industry is to stay true to yourself and never give up. Don’t let anyone discourage you because at the end of the day, what ever is meant to be will be.

SA: Tell us a bit about “Nisha”, what are your hobbies, favorite foods and what your doing when not singing.
NK: I am an absolute dog lover… I have three! When I’m not singing, I love taking them for hikes on our beautiful Arizona mountains. I love spending time with family and friends, I love to laugh and be silly, and I am a big foodie! I love desserts… like hot chocolate molten lava cake!

Sourced from: http://spotlifeasia.com/2015/07/04/exclusive-1-on-1-with-nisha-kataria-michael-jacksons-protege/

Last edited:
Didn't she record a song with Michael too? If I'm not mistaken I think she is featured on Wonderful World Of Candy! Lol

Back