How hard did Michael work?

SkyWalk

Proud Member
Do we really know how hard Michael worked at his craft? How high was his motivation? was his talent so high that he actually really didn't need much practice or hard work?

There are a ton of motivational videos out there on sports stars & athletes on how hard they work to get them to the level they need to be in order to succeed and be the best
but nothing much on MJ perhaps the most successful artist ever!!!?

I just wonder what his whole process was and what his work ethic was and how much time he put into his craft? I don't think no one really knows as he probably done all this behind closed doors alone and no one not no one asked him directly about this in interviews.

Last edited:
Yes. He worked hard, he was a perfectionist. I imagine to get things perfect it takes time.

He was always working. Always challenging new ideas and and breaking bondaries.

Yes. He worked hard, he was a perfectionist. I imagine to get things perfect it takes time.

He was always working. Always challenging new ideas and and breaking bondaries.

I agree, like MJ said, he 'doesn't sleep a lot' - always coming up with new ideas - link:
Such a dedicated artist! From his own lips, he was practically married to his work and fans
MJ was definitely a workaholic! And look at the result of his hard work - timeless music!

He worked so hard he burnt himself out on many occasions.. I'm sure that played a roll in the several years between albums as well!! I mean to actually expect to live a life and still put the demand on oneself for perfection to the level MJ did you have to take time away... Which he did for a bit between albums etc.

(never stopped creating music though)

Michael always worked hard he said it himself but I think he did take bits of break to take care of his kids & plus with the 2005 trial that took a toll on him which is why he took so long to make a comeback

SkyWalk;4106092 said:
Do we really know how hard Michael worked at his craft? How high was his motivation? was his talent so high that he actually really didn't need much practice or hard work?

There are a ton of motivational videos out there on sports stars & athletes on how hard they work to get them to the level they need to be in order to succeed and be the best
but nothing much on MJ perhaps the most successful artist ever!!!?

I just wonder what his whole process was and what his work ethic was and how much time he put into his craft? I don't think no one really knows as he probably done all this behind closed doors alone and no one not no one asked him directly about this in interviews.

I think we do know (to a degree) how hard MJ worked at his craft.

There is no doubt that he was a very talented/gifted artist but this does not mean that he did not work hard when it came to his profession so as to get the best possible results (for example in studio, live rehearsals). Also, high talent & a lot of practice are not inversely proportional, in fact these two aspects reinforce one another &, of course, this is apparent in almost every field (apart from music).

The process that takes place in a studio (songwriting, recording, etc.) can be downright frustrating & this applied (also) to MJ when he recorded his albums. For example, it is common knowledge that he used to warm up his voice for almost 2 hours right before the recording sessions & there was always hot, boiled water in the studio for that purpose. Additionally, a lot of interesting things (regarding not only the technical aspect of his first solo albums but also his characteristic way of working in the studio) have already been made public through many different ways (for example, ‘Moonwalk’, Mexico deposition, staff interviews).

Moreover, the pressure/stress reached its highest peak during his most creative era (while he was recording the album ‘Dangerous’). Consecutive delays/reschedules happened all the time (regarding video shootings, etc.) & things almost got out of hand (for example, the recording of ‘Keep the Faith’ few weeks before the album’s completion, collapse due to chest pains in 1990).

Notice that, he wanted to sell 100 million copies with every new album he brought out, so, it is safe to say that his motivation was pretty high, while it seemed that MJ was continually obliged to surpass himself in more than one ways.

Finally, I think that pressure in many respects (time, prestige, etc.) was an additional factor that made him deliver some of his best works, but, at the same time, this had an adverse effect on his (physical & mental) health.

You can come a long way with talent sometimes being a bit lazy, and you can come a way with little talent and a lot of work. People like Michael Jackson had a lot of talent and put in a lot of work.

That is what 'creative' peeps do. To others it seems 'hard work' but if its your passion, it doesn't seem like 'work' in the first place.

Of course, you have to 'work hard' to accomplise what Michael has done. People only see the finished product and never the sacrifices and the pitfalls we have to take to succeed.

As the quote says. "A quiter never wins and a winner never quited" :D

Of course, you have to 'work hard' to accomplise what Michael has done. People only see the finished product and never the sacrifices and the pitfalls we have to take to succeed.

I think that only hard work cannot guarantee (great) success unless it is accompanied by some other crucial factors, especially in the entertainment field (for example, exploiting the media channels in the most effective way, taking advantage of favorable circumstances, ability to foresee things).

I think he worked extremely hard the pay off to this is, he has left behind the greatest back catalogue of music for one artist the world will ever see.
His work ethic parallels his genius, that's why he is the biggest selling artist ever.

I'm searching for two specific quotes from dancers that worked with him throughout the years. They will be a true testamente to how hard he really worked.

Themidwestcowboy;4106409 said:
I'm searching for two specific quotes from dancers that worked with him throughout the years. They will be a true testamente to how hard he really worked.

Take a look at the documentary ‘A Remarkable Life’ which focuses on his way of working.

I am not sure if these specific dancers appear in this documentary, but, in any case, it is an interesting one (although it is nothing out of the ordinary).

I think that only hard work cannot guarantee (great) success unless it is accompanied by some other crucial factors, especially in the entertainment field (for example, exploiting the media channels in the most effective way, taking advantage of favorable circumstances, ability to foresee things).

Of course, besides the HARD work. You need a GOOD agent to get 'recognized' or even GOOD tools like the use of 'social media' nowadays and I'm certain that FANS make an 'artist' grow and be successful too. You need people to 'vouch' for you, to 'believe' in you as 'word of mouth' still plays a major part in your success.

Of course, besides the HARD work. You need a GOOD agent to get 'recognized' or even GOOD tools like the use of 'social media' nowadays and I'm certain that FANS make an 'artist' grow and be successful too. You need people to 'vouch' for you, to 'believe' in you as 'word of mouth' still plays a major part in your success.

Honestly, word of mouth is possibly the most powerful marketing tool there is. I'm waaaaay more likely to check out something if many of my friends are praising it left, right and center.

This is what I meant in the first place.

I agree that all these factors you mentioned are very crucial & undoubtedly the key to success in the entertainment industry. But, in my opinion, the tremendous power of the Internet tools &, especially the critical role of the social media, are of major importance.

Gone are the days when a singer was in need of a record label so as to establish himself & become successful in the entertainment field. These days an artist can take advantage of the directness & flexibility of the social media & become the center of attention, as long as other prerequisites are fulfilled (honesty, etc.).

Lastly, I agree that an artist needs people that can put in a good word for him, & of course people that truly believe in him, especially at the early stages of his career.

mj_frenzy;4106440 said:
Take a look at the documentary ‘A Remarkable Life’ which focuses on his way of working.

I am not sure if these specific dancers appear in this documentary, but, in any case, it is an interesting one (although it is nothing out of the ordinary).

I have seen it but it was a long time ago. Btw here is the video i was looking for! Timothy Pete Solomon, dancer on Captain EO. Look at this. He always worked his ass off

https://www.facebook.com/timothy.p.solomon/videos/10154081775972306/

Last edited:
He most definitely was one of the hardest working people in showbiz and his success was built on an amazing combination of immense God-given talent and strenuous hard work. His dedication to his craft is absolutely legendary and his work ethic beyond impeccable. For those who took the time to notice, it is beyond obvious he worked very hard for almost everything he achieved and had.

I don't think there's any question that Michael worked harder than probably anybody in show business-maybe the same level as the Gene Kellys/Fred Astaires/Judy Garlands of Hollywood's Musical Golden Age-and just about every colleague that has talked about him since his death confirms that-talks about him being married to his work, working on one teeny little chord of a song for hours and hours, working on one step all day long so it's just like breathing.

Yes, in the old days you needed a record label to get you promoted, but if you didn't have that hard work, discipline and talent to back it up, they weren't going to keep you. Think of the years that Joseph had those kids out on the road singing and dancing in sleazy bars and strip clubs. Think of every single afternoon when Joseph practiced them over and over and over-and if he wasn't there, Katherine took over rehearsal. Think of the down time between acts when the other kids would go play cards or run around-and Michael was in the wings, wrapped in the curtain, studying other great acts until they were a part of him. Think of the time when he stood like a fly on the wall in other people's studio sessions, watching and learning. No one forced him to do that-that was inside of him.

I think "This is It" was instrumental in once again affirming that Michael was all talent, hard work and perfectionism and probably spent 99% of his time on his craft-it wasn't all amusement park rides, shopping sprees and zoos. I'm glad they made that movie.

Incidentally, just ran across this little clip of Debbie Allen talking about Michael constantly practicing.

Yes, in the old days you needed a record label to get you promoted, but if you didn't have that hard work, discipline and talent to back it up, they weren't going to keep you.

I agree that these three parameters you mentioned (talent, hard work, discipline) were prerequisites for being successful in the industry because record labels are not charity organizations & they want to profit from artists, too.

Generally, I think that great talent makes you work even harder because you realize that practically there are no limitations on what you can achieve.

Back