Janet’s stylistic decisions regarding her stage costumes

mj_frenzy

Proud Member
Country
Greece
Generally, the decision regarding the singer’s stage costumes is of crucial importance. In other words, it can add significant value to the show, or, on the other hand, it can literally ruin the show’s appeal if the singer’s outfit was chosen in an inappropriate/unsuccessful way. Although I can understand that the singer’s stage outfit must also serve some other uses (promotion of certain brands/designers, type of venue, general concert’s concept, stylistic diversity, etc.) I firmly believe this decision must also be in accordance with the singer’s idiosyncrasy & personality.

Regarding Janet, I must admit that her stage costumes many times do not flatter her at all &, sadly, this is also apparent from her current ‘Unbreakable’ World Tour. For example, she decided once again to perform energetic songs in tight & uncomfortable clothes that seem to hinder (to a large extent) her dance routines while her overstuffed dressing is in contrast with her natural look.

In my opinion, sport or casual clothes, like the ones she wore in ‘The Velvet Rope’ Tour (‘Go Deep’, for example) or in ‘Number Ones, Up Close and Personal World Tour’ (‘That’s the Way Love Goes’, for example) respectively, suit Janet most while they underline her natural look in a very effective way. Also, that style of dressing has its uses when it comes to her strenuous dance choreography (practical reasons, for example).

Finally, I am rather opposed to overly explicit stage outfit (underwear, etc.) that a lot of female singers eagerly adopt because I think that style of dressing is more suitable for other purposes (for example, catwalks).

I agree with this thread. Personally, I think that she should consider wearing similar clothes to, like you said, the Velvet Rope Tour/Number Ones Tour during particular songs. Also, I think that the janet. tour is another good example of comfortable, stylish, etc. clothes. I know that Janet is someone who likes to try new things/new styles (she has had an AMAZING sense for fashion over the years) and I think this is what she is doing currently. I like her sneakers that have been designed for her tour (y) - which will also provide comfort for her as well during complex/extreme routines. Another great example of a tour with 'convenient' clothing choices is the All For You Tour. For example, during 'If' she didn't completely cover her legs like she usually would:

Janet_AllForYouTour.jpg

I also like her past choices of wearing 'crop like' tops which also show off her flawless abs:
tumblr_md6ub6v8IB1qh74v6o1_500.png

JM77;4107295 said:
I agree with this thread. Personally, I think that she should consider wearing similar clothes to, like you said, the Velvet Rope Tour/Number Ones Tour during particular songs. Also, I think that the janet. tour is another good example of comfortable, stylish, etc. clothes. I know that Janet is someone who likes to try new things/new styles (she has had an AMAZING sense for fashion over the years) and I think this is what she is doing currently. I like her sneakers that have been designed for her tour (y) - which will also provide comfort for her as well during complex/extreme routines. Another great example of a tour with 'convenient' clothing choices is the All For You Tour. For example, during 'If' she didn't completely cover her legs like she usually would:

I also like her past choices of wearing 'crop like' tops which also show off her flawless abs:

These two photos you posted flatter her a lot & also prove that Janet can be really attractive without being necessarily raunchy. If you ask me, I liked a lot the overall stylistic concept of the ‘If’ live performance (‘All for You’ Tour).

I can understand that Janet has to promote also certain styles of clothes/accessories during her shows because this is the way that the entertainment industry works. But, stylistically, this can be tricky & have some really adverse effects on her overall image.

In my opinion, Janet has to get rid of those overstuffed, futuristic outfits that she adopted in her previous tours (for example, ‘Rock Witchu Tour’) & made her look rather constrained & unnatural on stage.

Generally, I think the more casual clothes she wears on stage, the more attractive she becomes.

JM77;4108449 said:
BTW I've read this article that can explain her clothing choices for the UNBREAKABLE World Tour :)

http://www.timeslive.co.za/entertainment/celebrity/2015/09/18/Janet-Jackson-converts-to-Islam

Thank you for this article!

I am (unpleasantly) surprised to hear that religion will affect her stylistic decisions in that way. But, on the other hand, she has already carved her lane (also) in style, so, I think any decision from that point onwards (regarding that matter) has to be greatly respected.

On the bright side, I hope religion will disentangle Janet from that sexual, lyrical obsession/monomania which from the ‘All for You’ album onwards became too apparent & led to (lyrically) monotonous albums. Personally, I hope religion will bring more diversity in her lyrics & probably this is also a chance to explore other themes in her forthcoming albums.

Back