Sony proceeds with plan to sell music publishing unit: WSJ

Soundmind

Proud Member
[h=1]Sony proceeds with plan to sell music publishing unit: WSJ[/h]

Sony Corp is proceeding with a plan to sell its half of Sony/ATV Music Publishing, the Wall Street Journal reported, citing people familiar with the matter.
Sony, which owns the unit with Michael Jackson's estate, recently triggered a clause in its contract that allows one partner to buy out the other, the Wall Street Journal reported. (on.wsj.com/1MfjslA)
Sony/ATV Music declined to comment on the report.
(Reporting by Anya George Tharakan in Bengaluru)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/10/07/us-sony-divestiture-idUSKCN0S12NJ20151007

recently triggered a clause in its contract that allows one partner to buy out the other, the Wall Street Journal reported.

Why would do they do that if they plan to sell their share? Maybe to give the estate the opportunity to arrange for buying Sony shares although I doubt the estate has sufficient funds to do so.

Sony Corp. appears to be moving forward with plans to sell off its half of Sony/ATV Music Publishing, after recently triggering a clause in its contract with its co-owner, the Michael Jackson estate, that allows one party to buy out the other, according to people familiar with the matter.
The world’s biggest music-publishing company, Sony/ATV is co-owned by Sony6758, +1.55% SNE, +1.63% and the estate of the late pop star, who died in 2009. Jackson and Sony had jointly owned the company since 1995, with each partner holding a 50% stake.
Sony/ATV’s catalog includes the copyrights to most of The Beatles’ songs, as well as songs by stars ranging from Marvin Gaye and the Rolling Stones to pop’s Taylor Swift and dance music’s Calvin Harris. Unlike record labels, which own and distribute sound recordings, music publishers own rights to lyrics and melodies and license them out for various uses — including recordings released by record labels.

People in the music industry estimate Sony/ATV’s value around $2 billion. Sony hasn’t put a price tag on its share yet, these people said, adding that the process is not a public auction pending the outcome of direct negotiations between Sony and the Jackson estate.
Lenders were notified when Sony triggered the exit clause last month, they added.
Sony/ATV’s structure grants both partners the right to counter any offer to buy out the other side, as well as to bid for the half each doesn’t own.
An expanded version of this report is available at WSJ.com.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/sony-exploring-sale-of-music-publishing-unit-sources-say-2015-10-07

Wow, so "recently" is only a month ago. This means the estate is seriously negotiating the acquisition of Sony's share.

Some people will have a heart attack if this turns out to be true.

I really wonder what this means for the future!

Would be nice if The Estate buy out Sony's half... least they won't be tied down to one single company, and they can start pushing better thought out projects independently or with other publishers.

Can someone explain this in idiot terms ;)

LOL

As far as I can understand the contract has a clause that is generally called "right of first offer". In other words if one partner decides to sell their share, they give a notice to the other side and the other side can make an offer and purchase it before the sale opens to the public.

In other words, Sony is thinking about selling they share and they told this to MJ Estate. MJ Estate can make an offer and buy Sony's share by exercising their right of first offer. If Estate decides not to buy Sony's share, Sony will have a public sale.

I know this was talked about in the Sony emails, but what do you all think this means? That Sony just wants fast cash, or is the worth of the catalog going down because of the rights going back to the original songwriters? Aren't the Beatles songs supposed to be reverting in the next couple of years? (for example).

I know this was talked about in the Sony emails, but what do you all think this means? That Sony just wants fast cash, or is the worth of the catalog going down because of the rights going back to the original songwriters? Aren't the Beatles songs supposed to be reverting in the next couple of years? (for example).

I don't think it is because of some songs reverting back. Despite of the media calling it the Beatles catalog the Beatles' music is just a tiny portion of the catalog. Most songs in it will not revert back to the original writers for decades. I think it's more because generally the music industry has been going down for a while because people don't buy records any more. I think a publisher's income is not just from records, but I can imagine it doesn't bring the income it used to. The income may still be good enough for MJ's Estate but maybe not good enough for a big company like Sony who could make their money work better some place else.

I am not sure if buying the other half would be a great business move from the Estate (depends on the price, of course) but the executors can hopefully judge the prospects of the industry well.

Zakk, similar to the NL contract with Colony, I believe the Estate retains right of first refusal and right of first offer for the catalog. I do not believe the Estate (who holds a debt against the catalog) will purchase Sony's half. If Sony locates a successful buyer for their half, the Estate will most likely sell their half as well.

Barbee0715, Sony's reasoning is discussed as per the below quote. The reasoning is the electronic business, not any perceived shrinking profits generated by the music publishing business. It is the same reasoning given when Sony's leaked emails became public:

The potential sale of its stake in Sony/ATV could help Sony raise cash following a multiyear restructuring aimed at shrinking the Japanese company's dependence on its beleaguered consumer-electronics businesses, such as televisions and mobile phones.
http://www.nasdaq.com/article/sony-...publishing-unit-20151007-01170#/ixzz3nw5oFCYx

<header class="article_header module" style="margin: 0px 10px 6px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-size: 10px; vertical-align: baseline; box-sizing: border-box; position: relative; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; background: 0px 0px;">[h=1]Sony Moves Toward Sale of Music-Publishing Unit[/h][h=2]Sony triggers buy-sell mechanism in partnership with Michael Jackson estate, sources say[/h]

</header>
BN-KR100_SONYjp_P_20151007171447.jpg
ENLARGE
Sony is exploring the sale of its half in the Sony/ATV Music Publishing business, whose catalog includes artist Calvin Harris (pictured) as well as copyrights to most of The Beatles songs and songs from Marvin Gaye and the Rolling Stones. PHOTO: TRISTAN FEWINGS/GETTY IMAGES

By HANNAH KARP

<time class="timestamp" style="margin: 0px 0px 4px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-size: 13px; vertical-align: baseline; font-family: 'Whitney SSm', sans-serif; display: block; line-height: 2.2rem; color: rgb(102, 102, 102); background: 0px 0px;">Updated Oct. 7, 2015 6:33 p.m. ET</time>0 COMMENTS

Sony Corp. is moving closer to selling off its half of Sony/ATV Music Publishing, after recently triggering a clause in its contract with its co-owner, the Michael Jackson estate, that allows one party to buy out the other, according to people familiar with the matter.
The world&#8217;s biggest music-publishing company, Sony/ATV is co-owned by Sony and the estate of the late pop star. Sony and Mr. Jackson&#8212;and after his 2009 death, his estate&#8212;have jointly owned the company since 1995, each with a 50% stake.
Sony/ATV&#8217;s catalog includes the copyrights to most of the Beatles&#8217; songs, as well as songs by stars ranging from Marvin Gaye and the Rolling Stones to pop&#8217;s Taylor Swift and dance music&#8217;s Calvin Harris. Unlike record labels, which own and distribute sound recordings, music publishers own rights to lyrics and melodies and license them out for various uses&#8212;including recordings released by record labels.
Music industry veterans estimate Sony/ATV&#8217;s value at around $2 billion. Sony hasn&#8217;t put a price tag on its share yet, the people familiar with the matter said, adding the process isn&#8217;t a public auction pending the outcome of direct negotiations between Sony and the Jackson estate. Lenders were notified when Sony triggered the exit clause last month, these people added. There is no guarantee the process will result in Sony selling its half.
Sony/ATV&#8217;s structure grants both partners the right to counter any offer to buy out the other side, as well as to bid for the half each doesn&#8217;t own.
The potential sale of its stake in Sony/ATV could help Sony raise cash following a multiyear restructuring aimed at shrinking the Japanese company&#8217;s dependence on its beleaguered consumer-electronics businesses, such as televisions and mobile phones.
Sony&#8217;s net profit more than tripled during the quarter ended June 30 to ¥82.44 billion ($685 million), thanks to strong sales of videogames and smartphone image sensors. While the music-publishing business is profitable, generating ¥66.9 billion in revenue for Sony last year and a projected ¥70.1 billion this year, according to Sony regulatory filings, it doesn&#8217;t mesh with Sony&#8217;s other businesses. It operates separately from Sony&#8217;s record label, Sony Music Entertainment.
Sony appears to have been considering the sale of its Sony/ATV stake for a nearly a year, if not longer.
The potential sale was mentioned in emails among top Sony executives in November of 2014&#8212;emails that were among thousands of documents stolen by hackers and posted online. In one email exchange following a planning meeting last year, Sony Corp. of America Chief Financial Officer Steve Kober wrote to Sony Entertainment Chief Executive Michael Lynton that they were trying to keep the potential sale &#8220;top secret.&#8221;
Mr. Jackson bought ATV Music Publishing for $47.5 million in 1985, and sold Sony a 50% stake for more than $100 million in 1995. Mr. Jackson died in 2009 while preparing for a comeback tour.
In 2012, Sony and Mr. Jackson&#8217;s estate joined other investors, including Abu Dhabi&#8217;s Mubadala Development Co. and music mogul David Geffen, to acquire EMI Music Publishing for $2.2 billion, and Sony/ATV Music now generates revenue administering the EMI catalog for the investor group.
It isn&#8217;t clear whether Sony would package its share of EMI in a sale.
Write to Hannah Karp at hannah.karp@wsj.com

http://www.wsj.com/articles/sony-exploring-sale-of-music-publishing-unit-1444252320

I don't know where the estate is going to get the money to buy Sony's share as they are paying Michael's loan back from money that catalogue brings, and then they would need additional billion to buy other half?

From previous thread regarding Sony selling its share of catalogue:
The music publishing business generates about $500 million in annual revenue and $100 million in operating profit, according to a mid-range plan of Sony&#8217;s music business in October that was released by the hackers.

Publishing Growth
Sony&#8217;s music publishing business will see sales rise 13 percent over three years to $617 million by fiscal year 2018, according to the mid-range plan circulated internally. Operating profit will rise 23 percent to $123 million during that period.

Let's hope the plan is not for Sony to buy the estate's share and then to resell the whole thing.

I only see the estate being intrested if they can into partnership with others who will put up alot of cash. Better the devil you know than the devil you dont

rights reverting back if i temember correctly is only related to the american market and the beatles songs are a tiny % of the cat. considering how big the cat is now i doubt those songs are the most profitable.

not surprised sony are selling they have been in the dumps for along time and they pay the costs in relation to the running of it

Let's hope the plan is not for Sony to buy the estate's share and then to resell the whole thing.

I don't think so:
At the time, Mr. Jackson was in danger of defaulting on a $270 million loan held by hedge fund Fortress Investment Group LLC. As part of the agreement under which Barclays ultimately refinanced that debt, Mr. Jackson granted Sony an option to buy half of his stake in the company at any time for a fixed price of $250 million. At the time that was a generous valuation, but Sony/ATV's value has since soared to around $2 billion.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748703438604575315364195884770

If Sony didn't exercise their right back in 2006, I doubt they would do it now when it is valued around 2 billion, unless that $250 million agreement still stands?

Bubs;4110621 said:
From previous thread regarding Sony selling its share of catalogue:
The music publishing business generates about $500 million in annual revenue and $100 million in operating profit, according to a mid-range plan of Sony’s music business in October that was released by the hackers.

Publishing Growth
Sony’s music publishing business will see sales rise 13 percent over three years to $617 million by fiscal year 2018, according to the mid-range plan circulated internally. Operating profit will rise 23 percent to $123 million during that period.

Although the music industry is in the decline, I believe the above numbers are the reason for the sale. In other words Sony is doing a restructuring and selling of its low revenue assets. Compare the above numbers to PS4 numbers - $11.5 billion revenue and $401 Million in profit for 2014.

I don't think Sony would buy Estate's share because that defeats the whole purpose. To me that just doesn't make sense. Just because someone puts something on sale doesn't mean they would find a buyer especially for this kind of high value assets (remember AEG sale and how they couldn't find a buyer). So why would Sony buy Estate's share when they want to sell theirs and possibly get stuck with whole catalog? Also remember EMI purchase, that too shows selling catalogs isn't that easy and you probably need a consortium of many investors.

I think it's also unlikely that Estate will buy Sony's share, simply because I don't think they can afford to buy it. The only thing I'm curious is if Estate can arrange for a consortium that they contribute and in turn get not all but some of Sony's share - even only 1%. If they do something like that Estate can become the majority owner of the catalog.

Now is Paul McCartney's chance to get his catalogue back, he can buy the other half:D

Last edited:
SONY MOVING CLOSER TO SALE OF SONY/ATV (WSJ)
Sony Corp., which owns half of Sony/ATV, recently triggered a clause in its contract with co-owner the Michael Jackson estate, which allows one party to buy out the other, people familiar with the matter told The Wall Street Journal&#8217;s Hannah Karp.
The initiation of the buy/sell process was confirmed by Sony Corp. of America chiefMichael Lynton in an email to Sony/ATV employees disseminated as a result of theWSJ report.
&#8220;This process has just now begun, and as noted our next steps will be based on a number of different factors,&#8221; Lynton wrote. &#8220;For now, I ask that you proceed with business as usual, stay focused on your work, and continue to build on Sony/ATV&#8217;s terrific legacy and success.&#8221;
There&#8217;s no question it would be a blue-ribbon acquisition based on just two of its catalogs: those of The Beatles and Taylor Swift.
Music industry veterans estimate Sony/ATV&#8217;s value at around $2 billion, Karp notes in the story. Sony hasn&#8217;t put a price tag on its share yet, the people familiar with the matter said, adding the process isn&#8217;t a public auction pending the outcome of direct negotiations between Sony and the Jackson estate. Lenders were notified when Sony triggered the exit clause last month, these people added. There&#8217;s no guarantee the process will result in Sony selling its half.
The potential sale of its stake in Sony/ATV could help Sony raise a chunk of much-needed cash. The pubco generated $560m in revenue for Sony last year and a projected $580m this year, according to Sony regulatory filings.
The potential sale first came to light in emails among top Sony execs last November, part of the massive hack allegedly perpetrated by North Korea.
In response to our query this morning, a Sony rep said, &#8220;We are not commenting.&#8221;

http://hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=297996

Now is Paul McCartney's change to get his catalogue back, he can buy the other half:D

While that sounds ideal (especially for him) but I don't see that happening considering the price tag.. Would be interesting though!

marc_vivien;4110668 said:
SONY MOVING CLOSER TO SALE OF SONY/ATV (WSJ)
Sony Corp., which owns half of Sony/ATV, recently triggered a clause in its contract with co-owner the Michael Jackson estate, which allows one party to buy out the other, people familiar with the matter told The Wall Street Journal&#8217;s Hannah Karp.
The initiation of the buy/sell process was confirmed by Sony Corp. of America chiefMichael Lynton in an email to Sony/ATV employees disseminated as a result of theWSJ report.
&#8220;This process has just now begun, and as noted our next steps will be based on a number of different factors,&#8221; Lynton wrote. &#8220;For now, I ask that you proceed with business as usual, stay focused on your work, and continue to build on Sony/ATV&#8217;s terrific legacy and success.&#8221;
There&#8217;s no question it would be a blue-ribbon acquisition based on just two of its catalogs: those of The Beatles and Taylor Swift.
Music industry veterans estimate Sony/ATV&#8217;s value at around $2 billion, Karp notes in the story. Sony hasn&#8217;t put a price tag on its share yet, the people familiar with the matter said, adding the process isn&#8217;t a public auction pending the outcome of direct negotiations between Sony and the Jackson estate. Lenders were notified when Sony triggered the exit clause last month, these people added. There&#8217;s no guarantee the process will result in Sony selling its half.
The potential sale of its stake in Sony/ATV could help Sony raise a chunk of much-needed cash. The pubco generated $560m in revenue for Sony last year and a projected $580m this year, according to Sony regulatory filings.
The potential sale first came to light in emails among top Sony execs last November, part of the massive hack allegedly perpetrated by North Korea.
In response to our query this morning, a Sony rep said, &#8220;We are not commenting.&#8221;

http://hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=297996

Martin Bandier denied the whole sale as recently as June and now they are still talking about it?
http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/d9129d38-0e94-11e5-8aca-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3nzKcIn98

News of selling their share of catalogue are starting to sound like news about Queen releasing Freddie and MJ duets. Those rumours went on for years and then they came out:)

Although the music industry is in the decline, I believe the above numbers are the reason for the sale. In other words Sony is doing a restructuring and selling of its low revenue assets. Compare the above numbers to PS4 numbers - $11.5 billion revenue and $401 Million in profit for 2014.

I don't think Sony would buy Estate's share because that defeats the whole purpose. To me that just doesn't make sense. Just because someone puts something on sale doesn't mean they would find a buyer especially for this kind of high value assets (remember AEG sale and how they couldn't find a buyer). So why would Sony buy Estate's share when they want to sell theirs and possibly get stuck with whole catalog? Also remember EMI purchase, that too shows selling catalogs isn't that easy and you probably need a consortium of many investors.

I think it's also unlikely that Estate will buy Sony's share, simply because I don't think they can afford to buy it. The only thing I'm curious is if Estate can arrange for a consortium that they contribute and in turn get not all but some of Sony's share - even only 1%. If they do something like that Estate can become the majority owner of the catalog.

Excellent point. A majority share/controlling interest alone might make it attractive enough for Branca to attempt to put together a consortium.

IF the estate has any interest on jumping ship from Sony THIS would be the time to do it!! I know in a previous thread before I knew about this news I have said otherwise but if Sony is trying to rid the catalogue... Now lets say IF Estate ever were to (lets just say) want to see what Universal music Group would like to do with the Estate and maybe even buy the Sony share... it would be a straight swap over!! It would be very interesting to see what Universal Music Group would do.... Universal in my opinion does a better job with promotion!

Hey, I just went (while typing this to Universal Music Group's website and I notice they have the Beatles as a list of artists under them.. Shouldn't that be sony considering the catalogue?)

Non the less, if you look at the list of big acts today that get major publicity - Universal has "it"...

PS4 is the only star in a long list of unpopular consumer-electronics for Sony.
http://www.sony.com/all-electronics

If Sony is successful in securing a buyer, that price tag will be extremely attractive. Depending on a favorable IRS settlement and the possibility of the Estate successfully selling its share as well, the Estate can be rendered debt-free many years earlier than projected which is attractive as well.

Sony maintains this asset. Even with a sale of its share, it will most likely continue to maintain this asset. For the Estate to secure controlling interest, it will have to incur more debt. I would have to see more information before determining if such an action would be financial responsible.

Last edited:
KOPV;4110709 said:
IF the estate has any interest on jumping ship from Sony THIS would be the time to do it!! I know in a previous thread before I knew about this news I have said otherwise but if Sony is trying to rid the catalogue... Now lets say IF Estate ever were to (lets just say) want to see what Universal music Group would like to do with the Estate and maybe even buy the Sony share... it would be a straight swap over!! It would be very interesting to see what Universal Music Group would do.... Universal in my opinion does a better job with promotion!

Hey, I just went (while typing this to Universal Music Group's website and I notice they have the Beatles as a list of artists under them.. Shouldn't that be sony considering the catalogue?)

Non the less, if you look at the list of big acts today that get major publicity - Universal has "it"...

Can Universal buy it though? There are antitrust laws in USA (and Europe) that doesn't allow monopolies. Both Sony/ATV and Universal has around 22% Market share. EMI is around 10% and warner is about 14% and the remaining is independents. If Sony sells both their shares in ATV an EMI, Universal might not be able to buy those due to antitrust laws.

edited to add: From billboard article - Sony Corp. and Jackson&#8217;s estate also own a combined 39.8 percent -- 29.8 percentage points by the former and almost 10 percentage points by the latter -- of EMI Music Publishing, thanks to a consortium put together by then-Sony Corp. of America CFO Rob Wiesenthal.

So Sony owns almost 30% of EMI while Estate owns 10% of EMI. Given EMI has 10% market share, Sony's share of EMI is 3% of the whole market. Sony's ATV share is 11% of the market. so 14% of market. Universal already has 22% of the market, buying Sony's shares would put them at 36% - which might not be approved due to antitrust laws. Of course Universal can always arrange a consortium and buy some but all the shares.

Last edited:
Billboard Story

Sony Corp. Reportedly Moving Forward with Sale of Publishing Market Leader Sony/ATV
ARTICLESNEWS
By Billboard Staff | October 08, 2015 8:35 AM EDT

Kazuo Hirai
Kazuo Hirai, president and chief executive officer of Sony Corp., speaks during a news conference in Tokyo, Japan, on Tuesday, Nov. 18, 2014.
Kiyoshi Ota/Bloomberg via Getty Images
After emerging as a possibility in the wake of a massive hack last year, Sony Corp&#8217;s rumored ambition to sell its 50 percent stake in Sony/ATV is inching closer to a reality.

Sony/ATV is a 50/50 joint-venture between Sony Corp. and the Michael Jackson estate. Sources have told the Wall Street Journal and Financial Times that Sony Corp. has pressed the button on a buy-sell clause, which means the late King of Pop&#8217;s estate now has the option to buy out its partner's share. Billboard is seeking to independently confirm the news. If true, it is anticipated the sale could fetch more than $1 billion.

Sony Reportedly Considering a Sale of Its Music Publishing Division

Sony Corp. and Jackson&#8217;s estate also own a combined 39.8 percent -- 29.8 percentage points by the former and almost 10 percentage points by the latter -- of EMI Music Publishing, thanks to a consortium put together by then-Sony Corp. of America CFO Rob Wiesenthal. That consortium -- which also consists of Mubadala Development, Jynwel Capital Ltd., the Blackstone Group's GSO Partners and David Geffen -- paid $2.2 billion in June 2012 for EMI's publishing catalog. EMI Music Publishing itself generates about $750 million in annual revenue.

A true music publishing giant, Sony/ATV and EMI's assets include such crown jewels as the former's Beatles catalog and the latter's Motown catalog. Led by chairman/CEO Martin Bandier, Sony/ATV Music Publishing reported annual revenue grew to about $664 million for fiscal year ended March 31, 2014, up from $560 million in the prior year.

Publishers Q2 Report: Sony/ATV Is Holding Onto the No. 1 Spot -- But Barely

The rumor mill ground away last year thanks to a string of emails leaked in the Sony Pictures hacks. According to one of those leaked messages, Sony CFO Kenichro Yoshida raised concerns about the music publishing business, who understatedly remarked that the company "has a rather complex capital and governance structure and is impacted by the market shift to streaming." In a recent group interview, Sony president Kazuo Hirai said his company's turnaround is going well (not counting smartphones).

Bandier, who told Billboard earlier this year his company is &#8220;the greatest content holder in the music publishing era," came in at No. 4 on the 2015 Billboard Power 100.

This is a developing story, more to come...

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6722036/sony-corp-sony-atv-sale

another billboard article that says the opposite

Is Sony Really Trying to Sell Its Publishing Giant? Behind the Scenes of the Sony/ATV Deal
ARTICLESBUSINESS
By Ed Christman | October 08, 2015 1:06 PM EDT

Is Sony Really Trying to Sell Its Publishing Giant? Behind the Scenes of the Sony/ATV Deal
Marty Bandier
Chairman/CEO, Sony/ATV Music Publishing
(Photo credit: Matt Furman)
It appears that Sony Corp. has triggered a clause in its co-ownership agreement of publishing giant Sony/ATV, which it shares with the Michael Jackson estate, that allows for either party to initiate a buyout of the other, signaling that the beleaguered multinational is looking to either sell its half of the Sony/ATV joint-venture ownership to the Michael Jackson estate or buy Jackson out. The reasons for the trigger remain mysterious, though a problematic relationship between the partners is an oft-cited rumor. Whatever the outcome, the finish line on any deal remains far in the distance. The news was first reported by the Wall Street Journal's Hannah Karp.

Speculation is rampant that this process will end with Sony/ATV on the auction block, but the process could end more simply, with one partner buying out the other and the sole owner living happily ever after.

&#8220;The buy-sell process has been initiated, and it hasn&#8217;t been determined yet among the two as to who the buyer and who the seller is,&#8221; says one source with knowledge of the proceedings. &#8220;What happens after the process, when one of them owns the entire company, is unknown at this point.&#8221; Sony declined a request for comment.

Of the two partners, its more probable that Sony will buy out the Michael Jackson estate (the "ATV" in Sony/ATV) than the reverse. While administrators John Branca and John McClain have returned the Jackson estate to solid financial footing, it's likely that Jackson's heirs would prefer to sell their stake in the company.

Sony/ATV has an approximate valuation of $1.5 billion, and its 39 percent stake -- 29 percent for Sony, 10 percent for the Jackson estate -- in EMI Music Publishing was valued at $860 million at the time of its $2.2 billion acquisition in July 2012. The current process only impacts Sony/ATV proper, not its stake in EMI, according to sources. The EMI catalog has a separate group ownership, composed of Sony Corporation of America, the Estate of Michael Jackson, Mubadala Development Company PJSC, Jynwel Capital Limited, the Blackstone Group's GSO Capital Partners LP and David Geffen.

Now for some hypotheticals. If Sony does buy out the Jackson heirs, what&#8217;s next? Would it put it up for sale or once it has ended a complicated ownership structure? Or does it embrace and nurture it?

In its most recent fiscal year ended March 31, 2015, Sony/ATV produced revenues of 70.96 billion yen, or about $593 million, up from $559 million on a constant currency basis.

The question of whether to sell Sony/ATV comes at a time when publishing assets, while still prized, no longer generate the lofty valuations of even three or four short years ago. Previously, publishing assets were selling for multiples of 12 to 13 times net of a publisher's share (also known as gross profit). Now, publishing assets typically trade on 10-12 times NPS, usually nearer to the lower figure.

Selling the company would, at least, spare Sony senior management any headaches around CEO Martin Bandier's succession -- replacing the executive, a deeply rooted industry legend, would not be an easy headhunt. It would also help pay down the parent Corp.'s corporate debt, easing a skittish market's concerns. But if Sony were to buy the Jackson estate out, it would give them complete control of an asset that might fetch a higher multiple a few years down the line, if streaming proves to be the savior of the music industry that many hope it will become. One other industry player could afford Sony/ATV -- but would the EMI investors buy out the 38 percent stake that Sony/ATV owns, and then double down by buying Sony/ATV itself?

If put on the block, the only strategic companies that could even afford to buy, and operate, the giant would be Warner Music Group, BMG, and Universal Music Group -- though the latter could face antitrust concerns. When Imagem came up for sale, there was a scarcity of buyers who could afford its $650 million price tag, ending in a busted auction. Other possibilities include a private equity firm snapping up the giant. Private firms have been known to value publishing assets due to the relative predictability of their revenue streams. Martin Bandier himself is also said to strongly desire owning Sony/ATV -- but could he align the financial backing from private equity to pull off such an acquisition in light of his age (73), and with no obvious successors in sight?

Bandier's two biggest proteges, Jody Gerson and Jon Platt, are now running, respectively, the Universal Music Publishing Group (with annual revenues of about $1 billion) and Warner/Chappell Music (with annual revenues of about $500 million), the latter having been appointed just this week. There are no executives at Sony/ATV who are thought ready to replace Bandier, although he has been grooming Guy Moot, who serves as Sony/ATV's president of U.K. and European creative.

When Gerson walked out the door about a year ago, Sony&#8217;s upper management were upset that Bandier failed to retain the respected executive.

Bandier attempted to assuage his employees following the Dec. rumors of a sale -- which bubbled up through the muck of the Sony hack -- writing in a memo to staff: &#8220;I have been advised by Sony Corporation that Sony/ATV is not for sale and I can well understand that given we have just had our best year ever both creatively and financially and without a doubt we are the world&#8217;s leading and best music publisher with more great things set to come over the next 12 months. Who wouldn&#8217;t want to own a company like that, including Sony Corporation?&#8221; At that time, however, sources told Billboard that Sony Corp. senior management hadn&#8217;t reached a final decision on Sony/ATV.

&#8220;Its more likely that Sony buys [out the Jackson estate],&#8221; says one knowledgeable source. &#8220;They already own a record company, and they seem to like that. Music publishing is a stable business and a good fit with a record label. Logically, you would think Sony is the long-term owner of Sony/ATV at the end of the day.&#8221;

As one source put it: "Its very fluid situation at this point."

http://www.billboard.com/articles/b...sale-analysis-contract-michael-jackson-estate

ARTICLESBUSINESS
By Ed Christman | October 08, 2015 1:06 PM EDT

Marty Bandier
Chairman/CEO, Sony/ATV Music Publishing
(Photo credit: Matt Furman)
It appears that Sony Corp. has triggered a clause in its co-ownership agreement of publishing giant Sony/ATV, which it shares with the Michael Jackson estate, that allows for either party to initiate a buyout of the other, signaling that the beleaguered multinational is looking to either sell its half of the Sony/ATV joint-venture ownership to the Michael Jackson estate or buy Jackson out. The reasons for the trigger remain mysterious, though a problematic relationship between the partners is an oft-cited rumor. Whatever the outcome, the finish line on any deal remains far in the distance. The news was first reported by the Wall Street Journal's Hannah Karp.

Speculation is rampant that this process will end with Sony/ATV on the auction block, but the process could end more simply, with one partner buying out the other and the sole owner living happily ever after.

“The buy-sell process has been initiated, and it hasn’t been determined yet among the two as to who the buyer and who the seller is,” says one source with knowledge of the proceedings. “What happens after the process, when one of them owns the entire company, is unknown at this point.” Sony declined a request for comment.

Of the two partners, its more probable that Sony will buy out the Michael Jackson estate (the "ATV" in Sony/ATV) than the reverse. While administrators John Branca and John McClain have returned the Jackson estate to solid financial footing, it's likely that Jackson's heirs would prefer to sell their stake in the company.

Sony/ATV has an approximate valuation of $1.5 billion, and its 39 percent stake -- 29 percent for Sony, 10 percent for the Jackson estate -- in EMI Music Publishing was valued at $860 million at the time of its $2.2 billion acquisition in July 2012. The current process only impacts Sony/ATV proper, not its stake in EMI, according to sources. The EMI catalog has a separate group ownership, composed of Sony Corporation of America, the Estate of Michael Jackson, Mubadala Development Company PJSC, Jynwel Capital Limited, the Blackstone Group's GSO Capital Partners LP and David Geffen.

Now for some hypotheticals. If Sony does buy out the Jackson heirs, what’s next? Would it put it up for sale or once it has ended a complicated ownership structure? Or does it embrace and nurture it?

In its most recent fiscal year ended March 31, 2015, Sony/ATV produced revenues of 70.96 billion yen, or about $593 million, up from $559 million on a constant currency basis.

The question of whether to sell Sony/ATV comes at a time when publishing assets, while still prized, no longer generate the lofty valuations of even three or four short years ago. Previously, publishing assets were selling for multiples of 12 to 13 times net of a publisher's share (also known as gross profit). Now, publishing assets typically trade on 10-12 times NPS, usually nearer to the lower figure.

Selling the company would, at least, spare Sony senior management any headaches around CEO Martin Bandier's succession -- replacing the executive, a deeply rooted industry legend, would not be an easy headhunt. It would also help pay down the parent Corp.'s corporate debt, easing a skittish market's concerns. But if Sony were to buy the Jackson estate out, it would give them complete control of an asset that might fetch a higher multiple a few years down the line, if streaming proves to be the savior of the music industry that many hope it will become.

If put on the block, the only strategic companies that could even afford to buy, and operate, the giant would be Warner Music Group, BMG, and Universal Music Group -- though the latter could face antitrust concerns. When Imagem came up for sale, there was a scarcity of buyers who could afford its $650 million price tag, ending in a busted auction.

One other industry player could afford Sony/ATV -- but would the EMI investors buy out the 38 percent stake that Sony/ATV owns, and then double down by buying Sony/ATV itself?

Other possibilities include a private equity firm snapping up the giant. Private firms have been known to value publishing assets due to the relative predictability of their revenue streams. Martin Bandier himself is also said to strongly desire owning Sony/ATV -- but could he align the financial backing from private equity to pull off such an acquisition in light of his age (73), and with no obvious successors in sight?

Bandier's two biggest proteges, Jody Gerson and Jon Platt, are now running, respectively, the Universal Music Publishing Group (with annual revenues of about $1 billion) and Warner/Chappell Music (with annual revenues of about $500 million), the latter having been appointed just this week. There are no executives at Sony/ATV who are thought ready to replace Bandier, although he has been grooming Guy Moot, who serves as Sony/ATV's president of U.K. and European creative.

When Gerson walked out the door about a year ago, Sony’s upper management were upset that Bandier failed to retain the respected executive.

Bandier attempted to assuage his employees following the Dec. rumors of a sale -- which bubbled up through the muck of the Sony hack -- writing in a memo to staff: “I have been advised by Sony Corporation that Sony/ATV is not for sale and I can well understand that given we have just had our best year ever both creatively and financially and without a doubt we are the world’s leading and best music publisher with more great things set to come over the next 12 months. Who wouldn’t want to own a company like that, including Sony Corporation?” At that time, however, sources told Billboard that Sony Corp. senior management hadn’t reached a final decision on Sony/ATV.

“Its more likely that Sony buys [out the Jackson estate],” says one knowledgeable source. “They already own a record company, and they seem to like that. Music publishing is a stable business and a good fit with a record label. Logically, you would think Sony is the long-term owner of Sony/ATV at the end of the day.”

As one source put it: "Its very fluid situation at this point."

http://www.billboard.com/articles/b...sale-analysis-contract-michael-jackson-estate

Gotta love these "knowledgable sources" who know nothing, but speculate.

LYNTON'S BUY/SELL CONFIRMATION MEMO
In an apparent effort to calm nerves frazzled by a 10/7 WSJ report on the possible sale of Sony/ATV, Sony Entertainment CEO Michael Lynton sent an email to the pubco’s staff just as the story was breaking confirming that Sony had initiated the buy/sell process with the Michael Jackson estate and explaining how it might proceed. We’ve obtained that memo; what follows is the complete text.

Dear Sony/ATV Colleagues,

Sony Corporation of America and the Estate of Michael Jackson have begun what is known as a buy/sell process, in which each will have the opportunity to buy the other’s half, or sell its half, of Sony/ATV Music Publishing.

As you know, Sony/ATV is a joint venture between Sony and the Estate of Michael Jackson and operates based on a joint venture agreement. The joint venture agreement lays out procedures for the buy/sell process. Sony considers that now is an appropriate time to review our ownership status and thus has decided to begin this process. We will decide our next steps, based on a number of factors, as this process advances.

The music publishing business has been a stable profit contributor for its partners, and we highly regard the company, its leadership and personnel, and its performance. I strongly believe that, whoever ultimately ends up owning the company, Sony/ATV will remain a great business and a leader in music publishing for many years to come.

This process has just now begun, and as noted our next steps will be based on a number of different factors. For now, I ask that you proceed with business as usual, stay focused on your work, and continue to build on Sony/ATV’s terrific legacy and success.

Michael Lynton

http://hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=297998

Back