Janet Jackson gets her first Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nomination

HIStory

Proud Member
Her fans have been lobbying for it for a long time:

720x405-HOF002.jpg

Rock Hall of Fame: Janet Jackson, N.W.A, NIN, the Smiths Lead Nominees

Yes, Chicago, Deep Purple and Cheap Trick also in contention for Class of 2016, with voting again open to fans

The nominations for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's Class of 2016 are in, and the list includes Chicago, Cheap Trick, Deep Purple, the Cars, Janet Jackson, N.W.A, Nine Inch Nails, the Smiths and Yes. The rest of this year's hopefuls are Chaka Khan, Chic, The J.B.'s, Los Lobos, Steve Miller and the Spinners. The top vote-getters will be announced in December and inducted next April at a ceremony in New York. HBO will broadcast the ceremony later in the year.

For the fourth consecutive year, the public will have the opportunity to vote alongside the more than 800 artists, historians and music industry insiders of the Rock Hall voting body. From now until December 9th, fans can vote on RollingStone.com for the nominees they'd like to see inducted. The top five acts will comprise a "fan's ballot" that will count as one of the ballots that determine the class of 2016.

In order to be eligible for this year's ballot, artists or bands need to have released their first single or album in 1990 or earlier. Some of the nominees have appeared on previous ballots, but this is the first appearance for Chicago, Cheap Trick, the Cars, Chaka Khan, The J.B.'s, Janet Jackson, Los Lobos and Steve Miller. Chic, however, have now been nominated a record 10 times. This also marks the fourth time that N.W.A has been on the ballot and the third time for Deep Purple and the Spinners.

Last year's Hall of Fame class included Green Day, Lou Reed, Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Joan Jett & The Blackhearts, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble and Ringo Starr.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...#ixzz3nxSk5iTt
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

We'll I had to run over and vote for Chicago and Chic. Spinners and Janet. You get 5 votes each time I guess.

How is JJ a rock 'n' roll act? :wtf: I made the same face when the Jackson 5 were inducted, Michael as a solo artist have worked with musicians related to that genre through out the years and has many more rock songs. So his induction made more sense.

How is JJ a rock 'n' roll act? :wtf: I made the same face when the Jackson 5 were inducted, Michael as a solo artist have worked with musicians related to that genre through out the years and has many more rock songs. So his induction made more sense.

Is Donna Summer a rock 'n' roll artist? Bill Withers? Hall & Oates? Public Enemy? Quincy Jones? ABBA? Bobby Womack? Run-DMC? Madonna? Grandmaster Flash? Miles Davis? The O'Jays? Percy Sledge? Earth, Wind & Fire? Billie Holiday? Etc. etc.

http://www.futurerocklegends.com/past.php

The RoRHOF isn't just about rock acts.

^It's precisely why it doesn't have much credibility and receives a lot of criticism, they have inducted and nominated acts who have nothing to do with rock, also snubbing more deserving performers of the induction for years. Their nominees and inductees have made it clear what you stated but it won't stop people from criticizing their validity.

At least it was an honor to Michael being the youngest artist to be indicted twice and his inclusion as a solo artist was indeed deserving.

^It's precisely why it doesn't have much credibility and receives a lot of criticism, they have inducted and nominated acts who have nothing to do with rock, also snubbing more deserving performers of the induction for years. Their nominees and inductees have made it clear what you stated but it won't stop people from criticizing their validity.

At least it was an honor to Michael being the youngest artist to be indicted twice and his inclusion as a solo artist was indeed deserving.

Well, rock 'n' roll purists would not like to see MJ there either. He is not considered a rock artist either, despite of a couple of pop-rock songs.

The museum was founded in 1983 when a rock-bias was still pretty much prevalent in popular music. I am actually glad they moved away from that. To me it is a positive thing that they do not stick strictly to rock music. That would make the R&R HoF limited to mainly white rock acts, while popular music is much more wider and more colorful than that. Actually the HoF is also criticized that it is STILL too much favours certain genres over others:

According to Fox News, petitions with tens of thousands of signatures were also being ignored, and some groups that were signed with certain labels or companies or were affiliated with various committee members have even been put up for nomination with no discussion at all.[SUP][31][/SUP] The committee has also been accused of largely ignoring certain genres.[SUP][33][/SUP] According to author Brett Milano, "entire genres get passed over, particularly progressive rock, '60s Top 40, New Orleans funk and a whole lot of black music."[SUP][34][/SUP]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_and_Roll_Hall_of_Fame

Well, rock 'n' roll purists would not like to see MJ there either. He is not considered a rock artist either, despite of a couple of pop-rock songs.

The museum was founded in 1983 when a rock-bias was still pretty much prevalent in popular music. I am actually glad they moved away from that. To me it is a positive thing that they do not stick strictly to rock music. That would make the R&R HoF limited to mainly white rock acts, while popular music is much more wider and more colorful than that. Actually the HoF is also criticized that it is STILL too much favours certain genres over others:

:punk: I'm glad they progressed to acknowledging and celebrating other genres, too. It's a celebration of MUSIC, period, as it should be. The same ones bitching about Janet possibly being inducted seem to forget that (like you posted) Mike wouldn't be in there either if it had stuck with the original guidelines.

I've voted twice so far; mostly for Chicago, Chic, Deep Purple, NWA (yep, lol) and Chaka Khan. I voted for Janet once (so far). I'm shocked that she's getting way more votes than Chaka Khan! I like Janet, but Chaka is more deserving of the honor, especially before Janet. If they can both get in on this round that'll be cool, but if not I want to see the Funk QUEEN get in there first.

:crackingup: Janet stans, don't even come at me 'bout that, YA HEAR?! ;) j/k

It shouldn't be called The Rock 'N' Roll Hall of Fame but The Music Hall of Fame then. If it's called as such, people would reasonably think rock related acts are the inductees there. Although it's true there may be purists objecting Michael's induction, people in general don't bitch about him, his involvement with notable rock musicians is greater than others acts people complain about. They bitch about disco acts like ABBA, rappers or even Madonna thinking how come she was inducted first while KISS and Metallica had been snubbed out for decades, those bands were inducted in recent years.

It shouldn't be called The Rock 'N' Roll Hall of Fame but The Music Hall of Fame then. If it's called as such, people would reasonably think rock related acts are the inductees there. Although it's true there may be purists objecting Michael's induction, people in general don't bitch about him, his involvement with notable rock musicians is greater than others acts people complain about. They bitch about disco acts like ABBA, rappers or even Madonna thinking how come she was inducted first while KISS and Metallica had been snubbed out for decades, those bands were inducted in recent years.

Again, I feel this is a bit of double standards. If you are with the rock 'n' roll purists and say something that is called The Rock 'N' Roll Hall of Fame should only induct rock artists then Michael has no place in it either. Just because he had three pop-rock songs it does not make him a rock artist, nor collaborations with rock artists do. Just because Run-DMC collaborated with Aerosmith it doesn't make them a rock band. As for the bitching, there is always someone bitching about something, so why does it matter? I am sure there are poeple who are also bitching about MJ being there.

Back