Get Janet Inducted in the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame

:punk: I'm glad we can vote more than once (and get 5 choices per vote), because I want to see CHICAGO inducted more than the rest of them. I was surprised that they weren't in there already!

The band Chicago won the fan vote, with Yes coming in a close second! They still have to be voted in by the Hall's committee, but this gives them a leg up over the other bands in the running. This is great news; I love Chicago!! As for Janet, she faced some tough competition and shouldn't be inducted before bands like Chicago, Yes or Deep Purple (to name a few). Her own brothers didn't get in right off the bat, either.

Ultimate Classic Rock link: http://ultimateclassicrock.com/chicago-rock-hall-fan-vote-2/

Hooray about Chicago. Had to look up Yes, since I'm not a rock follower, but I'm familiar with 'Owner of a Lonely Heart.'

Speaking of Janet, I had the View on yesterday. It was Raven's birthday and she's a huge Janet fan. Janet sent her a goody basket from the tour, VIP tickets and...the whole audience got tix to the tour.
Pretty nice.

Hooray about Chicago. Had to look up Yes, since I'm not a rock follower, but I'm familiar with 'Owner of a Lonely Heart.'

Speaking of Janet, I had the View on yesterday. It was Raven's birthday and she's a huge Janet fan. Janet sent her a goody basket from the tour, VIP tickets and...the whole audience got tix to the tour.
Pretty nice.

She needs to send me a goody basket for her next Atlanta show... :crackingup:

Apparently the voting might not have been totally clean:

[h=1]Chicago wins controversial 2016 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Fan Vote[/h]
Chicago took the top spot with over 23 percent of the vote, followed by Yes, The Cars, Deep Purple and Steve Miller. All five acts will comprise a fan ballot added into the voting pool of more than 800 ballots. Janet Jackson and Cheap Trick finished in a distant sixth and seventh place, respectively.

In total, the five top acts accounted for a staggering 87.5 percent of the vote. Overall, this year's Fan Vote generated more than 160 million votes. Last year's Fan Vote generated just 60 million votes over the course of two months.

The bulk of this year's votes came within a weeklong period, when numbers surged and speculation began that the system had been tainted. But the Rock Hall remained loyal to the process.

Todd Mesek, vice president of marketing and communications for the Rock Hall, said the inflated numbers could be the result of an increased interest in the annual vote and numerous websites embedding the poll on their homepages.

However, Mesek also revealed the Rock Hall eventually put measures into place to prevent an outrageous number of votes from one IP address per day. After that, the number of daily votes dropped off significantly.

http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2015/12/chicago_wins_controversial_201.html

I think Cheap Trick was a good call because they had one of the greatest live albums of all time. Sure...You could argue that Cheap Trick was music for kiddies but they had some fun tunes.
I also think NWA is a good nod. But I would swap Chicago for Janet Jackson. I always associated Chicago with the music my parents listened to as teenagers and nothing more than that. W/ Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis she helped to originate and popularize new jack swing and is an iconic artist and performer in her own right.
Oh well - she will have her time. :yes:

I think their N.W.A's induction was massively helped by the movie and I am not sure it's the right call. While they were influential, what kind of influence they really had when we think about it? They were the ones who made the praise of violence, guns, misogyny OK and "cool" in rap. While this was then a recurring theme in rap and gangsta rap became the cool thing and it is until today- so they surely were very influential, I just don't think it's been a positive and great influence on popular music.

Back