Michael Jackson Single Added to NBC's The Wiz Live!

CherubimII

Proud Member
Michael Jackson Single Added to NBC's The Wiz Live!
By Playbill Staff
13 Oct 2015

- See more at: http://www.playbill.com/news/articl...nbcs-the-wiz-live-367009#sthash.zHi6xe8V.dpuf

You Can't Win," which was cut from the original Broadway production of The Wiz, but performed on screen by late pop icon Michael Jackson, will be included in NBC's live broadcast of the musical this December.

Elijah Kelley will play the Scarecrow in the Dec. 3 live broadcast of the Tony Award-winning musical that will be directed by Kenny Leon and feature choreography by Fatima Robinson.

vbcb.jpg

Michael Jackson in "The Wiz"

"You Can't Win," originally sung by the Winkies, was cut from The Wiz prior to its Broadway opening. For the film adaptation the show's creators reinstated the song as a solo for Jackson to perform as the Scarecrow – dropping the character's Broadway song "I Was Born on the Day Before Yesterday." Jackson later released "You Can't Win" as a single.
While full details of what changes are in store for The Wiz Live! have not been revealed, actress Shanice Williams, who will star as Dorothy, tweeted that Kelley was rehearsing the song.

Shanice Williams
✔@LuvbeingShanice

Sitting outside the room while @elijah_kelley is singing you can't win!
1f631.png
1f628.png
1f629.png
1f629.png
1f629.png
1f629.png
1f629.png
2764.png
1f64c.png
1f3fd.png
1f64c.png
1f3fd.png
1f64c.png
1f3fd.png
1f64c.png
1f3fd.png
! Yall not ready!!! #TheWiz

2:56 PM - 8 Oct 2015 · Manhattan, NY, United States
The all-star cast will also feature Queen Latifah, Mary J. Blige, Ne-Yo, Common, Uzo Aduba, Amber Riley, Stephanie Mills and David Alan Grier.
Get to Know the Cast of The Wiz Live! (So Far) With Our Favorite Pictures and Videos
- See more at: http://www.playbill.com/news/articl...nbcs-the-wiz-live-367009#sthash.zHi6xe8V.dpuf

Cool-I hope this is good. I have to say, though, that except for the plaid skirt and blazer Dorothy's wearing (I like that), Tony Walton's costumes were way better-I always thought the sets and costumes in The Wiz were fantastically superb.

(so I'm prejudiced).

I happen to be watching the Real Wiz right now. :). For anyone interested, TV One is showing it several times Thanksgiving week.

There's also a special on NBC next Wednesday night on the making of the Wiz Live.

Back